Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of - first of the new year from Aussie Dash Cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEGIRK8ZF0

2:20 - "That's what you get for not loving merging on the freeway at 100(kph)" If only every piece of poo poo who did a merge at 60 got pulled up by the cops.

Merging slow is one thing, merging slow then pulling into the faster lanes is quite another. Also what's going on at 0:50 and 9:50? I can't figure out what those two drivers where doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serephina posted:

Merging slow is one thing, merging slow then pulling into the faster lanes is quite another. Also what's going on at 0:50 and 9:50? I can't figure out what those two drivers where doing wrong.

They were probably talking on their phones

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Piracy has been good forever and had never needed the tiniest moral justification

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Soul Dentist posted:

Piracy has been good forever and had never needed the tiniest moral justification

"new U.S. Navy budget report reached some startling conclusions,"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

"... that the pirates have been targeting colonizing forces due to the mere fact that oppressed colonized peoples tend not to have merchant ships of their own"

:hmmyes:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheFigen_/status/1744021234180931706?t=OG9XbJerit_ze93rX2WWqg&s=19

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I used to take a hard line about not pirating stuff. Folks make a living off it, right?

But yeah, with the way studios behave these days it's not even piracy, it's privateering.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hyperlynx posted:

I used to take a hard line about not pirating stuff. Folks make a living off it, right?

But yeah, with the way studios behave these days it's not even piracy, it's privateering.

Do people now give out Letters of Marque and Reprisal authorizing this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Do people now give out Letters of Marque and Reprisal authorizing this?

You joke, but there have been a few studios over the years who, for various reasons, have literally said "Just pirate our game".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You joke, but there have been a few studios over the years who, for various reasons, have literally said "Just pirate our game".

Really? Did they just want to try for market share ahead of rivals regardless of cost?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Got screwed and don't want the person screwing them to get paid

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Really? Did they just want to try for market share ahead of rivals regardless of cost?

It's generally been an understanding that a pirate was never going to pay if they were denied pirating, but might turn out to be a customer in the future or might market them to others, thus at worst no loss, at best a win.

i.e. not being greedy idiot morons.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I know it happened with Hotline Miami 2 being banned in Australia. They said "just pirate it".

I was talking about film and tv, though. I still don't pirate games, unless the particular studio have been lovely.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hyperlynx posted:

One of the things that really came to light with the strikes last year was how little the people who actually make stuff get paid for it on residuals over time. Like it's one thing to pirate an indie video game or something where most of the money is going directly to the studio and it's workers (minus the cut from steam or whatever), it's another if you're talking about trying to watch episodes of Deep Space 9 or some other old show - none of the people that actually did the labor to make that are getting paid, it's all going to the studio as gravy.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

With my trusty VPN and sharp-as-a-knife seedbox!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They were probably talking on their phones

Yeah they actually enforce the no mobiles while driving rule down undah, rather than treat it like a gentile suggestion like in the states. Objectively good, but I also don't really care if somebody checks a text at a red light or something.

Like to imagine them having to bleep out swearing in this one.

Hmmmmmmm,

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Jan 8, 2024

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
With studios removing content and writing it off for taxes, the media becomes completely inaccessible by legals means. Especially if it was never released on physical medium. Piracy has saved a significant amount of art from being lost forever.

What we really need is a system where like how if a trademark isn't defended, it goes away. So if you are no longer offering a product for distribution, then you can no longer claim copyright on it. If you remove a product for a tax write-off, then it becomes public domain.

This will never happen, but it needs to.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/fhlj...e1977d75e31#t=0

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Can't swing there mate!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Don't lower the bucket so he can stand up or anything.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they're going to leave him there as a warning to others

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Swinger party gone wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

I know it happened with Hotline Miami 2 being banned in Australia. They said "just pirate it".

Also Weird Al when his biopic was released on Roku and wasn't available in Australia

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i assume every tracker with a search bar is seized by the fbi and running a honeypot op, so i dont even bother trying to torrent anymore. but i appreciate the suggestion al

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

i assume every tracker with a search bar is seized by the fbi and running a honeypot op, so i dont even bother trying to torrent anymore. but i appreciate the suggestion al

That’s why you log in to your neighbour’s wifi first.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Just how effective are VPNs at protecting you, anyway?

Makes me wonder just how reckless I was being 15 years ago when I was just throwing caution to the wind.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My VPN stops my ISP from emailing me about torrenting TV/movies and that's enough protection for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

Just how effective are VPNs at protecting you, anyway?

Makes me wonder just how reckless I was being 15 years ago when I was just throwing caution to the wind.

It makes it so your ISP can't figure out what you're doing, but the VPN provider still knows. The FBI could probably lean on them and get your info, but the bar for doing that is much higher and you would have to be suspected of big boy crimes for them to bother

haveblue has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Jan 8, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
putting on my big boy crime pants and downloading season 7 of mash

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Schaden is always on the yanks when this topic comes up, most (all?) civilised nations don't care about torrents, and people just grab what they want. Without like, ironically paying someone to help you perform petty theft.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Serephina posted:

Schaden is always on the yanks when this topic comes up, most (all?) civilised nations don't care about torrents, and people just grab what they want. Without like, ironically paying someone to help you perform petty theft.

buddy, Warner Bros is an international enterprise. they're working on it, extrajudicially if ykwim

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

That’s why you log in to your neighbour’s wifi first.

Serephina posted:

Wow sounds like you guys just don't care about maintaining value to stakeholders. If the companies employing artists can't turn a profit from their labor in perpetuity then the whole system falls apart and art will cease to be created :rip:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Good

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Art was a mistake. We should all just sit around the cave and look at the images cast on the walls.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Art was a mistake. We should all just sit around the cave and look at the images cast on the walls.

Shadow art!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Serephina posted:

Ehh it was in the news a couple of years ago in Finland, people got contacted by lawyers and told to pay hundreds of euros for torrenting. Not sure where it went but I got a VPN then. I got mullvad now, iirc their offices got busted by the cops but since they didn't actually log anything, like they promised, it was a bust. heh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

Yeah, I've been tempted to buy a VPN subscription because of all the online paranoia on occasion, but then I remember it's always only the Americans who have these issues :911: Also lol, like I'm gonna trust a company to actually protect my identity should I ever get into trouble.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My art requires billions in shareholder revenue to be created. Some say art, some say con

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Eh, my old (Australian) ISP did indeed pass on a "hey we caught you torrenting!" email. These days I'm with a different ISP, and use ProtonVPN.