Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

It's flax. The thing is that to get heavy metal poisoning you need to crack the seeds open (by blending them into a smoothie or supplement), if you eat them like normal you're not gonna get poisoned.

Ah. Well I'm real loving glad I bought the whole seeds instead of ground. But how do I get the fibre out of them? I mean if the poison stays in, won't the fibre also stay in?

HOW FLAKSEED WONRK?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just the flax facts, ma'am.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
After seeing apricot kernels for sale as a healthy snack, I'll never be surprised by any food designed to kill you / cause you a life of chronic suffering.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

After seeing apricot kernels for sale as a healthy snack, I'll never be surprised by any food designed to kill you / cause you a life of chronic suffering.

I doubt that.

I believe that you would be surprised by the Parkinsonism caused by the neurotoxic tisanes of the leaves and twigs of Annona muricata, the soursop tree.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Jan 8, 2024

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bought a box of flax seed to add fibre to my breakfast and snacks and it said "adults should not consume more than two tablespoonfuls a day, children should stay the gently caress away". What it didn't say was why; the fuckers are full of whatever heavy metals were in the soil they grew in. Apparently here it means they'll slowly give you cadmium poisoning.

Why are they even sold? IDK.

E: or was it linseed? I'm on the bog so can't check.

Linseed is another word for flax seeds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Linseed is another word for flax seeds.

What a country!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I believe the main issue people have with flax is cyanide rather than heavy metal content. You have to eat something like nine tablespoons at once to get near the toxic threshold, and it doesn't seem like there are actually any reported cases of cyanide toxicity from consuming flax.

Disclaimer: I am eating ground flax seeds right now and have been doing so every day for about five years.

There's a transcript you can skim over here if you don't want to watch the video:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/should-we-be-concerned-about-the-cyanide-from-flaxseed/

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

See if you can get psyllium husk for fibre instead. Or you know just eat some fruit and beans / legumes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

for fucks sake posted:

I believe the main issue people have with flax is cyanide rather than heavy metal content. You have to eat something like nine tablespoons at once to get near the toxic threshold, and it doesn't seem like there are actually any reported cases of cyanide toxicity from consuming flax.

Disclaimer: I am eating ground flax seeds right now and have been doing so every day for about five years.

There's a transcript you can skim over here if you don't want to watch the video:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/should-we-be-concerned-about-the-cyanide-from-flaxseed/

There aren't really any studies on the long term consumption of low dose cyanide though and there aren't likely to be any for obvious reasons. Easier to just get your fibre elsewhere.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inceltown posted:

See if you can get psyllium husk for fibre instead. Or you know just eat some fruit and beans / legumes.

I can't eat legumes much and flaxseed is like 40 000 times cheaper than fruit.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Inceltown posted:

There aren't really any studies on the long term consumption of low dose cyanide though and there aren't likely to be any for obvious reasons. Easier to just get your fibre elsewhere.

There are other reasons than fibre to eat flax, such as reduction in cholesterol and inflammation. Whenever you're considering not doing a thing because of a risk it's worth asking what the opportunity cost of not doing that thing is.

edit: I realise the OP was talking specifically about fibre, I just find this subject interesting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

I doubt that.

I believe that you would be surprised by the Parkinsonism caused by the neurotoxic tisanes of the leaves and twigs of Annona muricata, the soursop tree.

It's caffeine free, it can't be bad for you

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I use food grade, refrigerated flax oil to season my cast iron pans and now I'm worried about lead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I use food grade, refrigerated flax oil to season my cast iron pans and now I'm worried about lead.

Just throw the cast-iron pans in the scrap and buy proper pans. Problem solved!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inceltown posted:

With its mechanism of action, it would be surprising if low level exposure mattered.

It either crosses a threshold and starts killing cells, or it doesn’t and everything is fine.

It’s like, living in Quito for three decades doesn’t have anything like the effects of being in the death zone on Mount Everest for three days.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

A trivial amount of the oil remained on the pan, a handful of grams, and the whole point is that it is stuck to the pan. You’ll be ingesting less in the lifetime of the pans than many people do every single day by eating foods made with flax oil.

That said, flaxseed oil makes for bad seasoning. If it starts to flake, strip the pans with the oven or with lye and reseason with something better, like grapeseed oil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I Love You Always Forever wasn't by The Cardigans or any of the Cardigans-likes around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdWTeXWvOg

She looks at least ten years too old to be singing with that voice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

She looks at least ten years too old to be singing with that voice.

She was 23 but OK.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Something something British women

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The British work like dogs. 23 in British years is 50 in human years.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

She was 23 but OK.

She was older, she lied about her age so the charts would let her in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnNXmvUpiw

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

She was older, she lied about her age so the charts would let her in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnNXmvUpiw

OK that guys is so full of poo poo I stopped watching before he even got to actually discussing Donna Lewis.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This was on her wiki:

quote:

There are conflicting accounts regarding Lewis's birth date. According to her biography on the Billboard and AllMusic websites, she was born on 6 August 1973 ...She became a popular live attraction and circa 1993 began sending her demos to record labels.

An article in People from November 1996... states that Lewis's graduation from the Royal Welsh College took place in 1979 and that she played in piano bars throughout Britain and Europe for a period of five years, so like many people in the public eye, there may have been attempts to make her age appear younger than she really is. In November 1996, she had been married for ten years to her road manager and "[gave] her age as in her 30s".[11] This information, if correct, would imply that she was born between 1957 and 1966. This is roughly consistent with a statement Lewis made in an interview in 2015: "When I was in the pop world [...], I wasn't a 19 year old—I was 30 or something like that."... An article in Entertainment Weekly from September 1996 states that Lewis "won't reveal her age—she and her husband/manager, Martin Harris, have been married for nine years, so 'you know I'm not 21'". According to Companies House records for 'Donna Lewis Limited', of which both Donna Lewis and her husband Martin Harris were directors, she was born in August 1959.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

3D Megadoodoo posted:

She was 23 but OK.

She looks like when movies have 30 year old adults playing teenagers :lol: no way she's 23

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
"30 or something like that" means 41, and she could absolutely be a well made-up and photographed 40.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's what I get for trusting a Google.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

With its mechanism of action, it would be surprising if low level exposure mattered.

It either crosses a threshold and starts killing cells, or it doesn’t and everything is fine.

It’s like, living in Quito for three decades doesn’t have anything like the effects of being in the death zone on Mount Everest for three days.

I'm sorry, the what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_zone

...oh. That's not nearly as cool as it sounds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's the zone that kills you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The zone of death? The only way out of here is death!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

e: wrong thread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DEATH ZONE
THE ZONE THAT EATS

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That's why I'm disappointed. It's not a specific zone that's somewhere on Mount Everest and it kills you. It's just "too high up = not enough oxygen, bad things happen"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hyperlynx posted:

That's why I'm disappointed. It's not a specific zone that's somewhere on Mount Everest and it kills you. It's just "too high up = not enough oxygen, bad things happen"

It's also very cold! There really aren't a lot of places in the world that are inherently deadly except like, toxic lakes and places where other gases have displaced oxygen so you just kind of pass right out and die. Deadly stuff tends to be down below. Mountains are just "merely" dangerous

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I keep asking my wife to swallow more flax seed, and now I learn it's toxic?!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A username for every occasion

I'm waiting for my moment to shine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah the specific place that kills you is the Khumbu Icefall.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Khumbu icefall gets you if the ground moves.

The altitude gets you on descent or when the wind blows.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My least favorite part about living in a city is having to wait in lines for everything so I bet it must be really cool to go to the rear end end of nowhere in hostile nature and still have to wait in line

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagine meeting someone and they told you they'd climbed Mount Everest. Could you help laughing at them and calling them a loving dweeb?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Kit Walker posted:

My least favorite part about living in a city is having to wait in lines for everything so I bet it must be really cool to go to the rear end end of nowhere in hostile nature and still have to wait in line
And if your math is wrong, the wait in line will literally kill you. I'm glad climbing Everest is so expensive; no one of value is ever lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone can read Hiragana or Katakana with very little effort. I'm serious one day is enough to be reasonable at Hiragana and a week at most for Katakana. Now understanding anything you read is the hard part.

Yeah and Hangul (written Korean) is easier than both of them. Hiragana took me about a week, katakana about two weeks. You could absolutely learn all 3 in a month even if you’re a slow learner like me