Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

re scandi royals smoking, someone post the handskas med det gif tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Megamissen posted:

compared to the rest of scandinavia at least
but that doesnt say that much since swedes smoke the least in the world
(which is very good for me, im very sensitive to cigarette smoke)
smoking is way cooler than snus though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cigarettes ftw

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

A Buttery Pastry posted:

smoking is way cooler than snus though

maybe, but being able to breathe standing next to someone who snusar beats that out for me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

cigarettes ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

cigarettes ftw

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

cigarettes ftw

during the clinton administration, I was playing an online game called "The Realm." While walking through a burnout town I commented in the public chat that someone must have dropped a cigar, because I was young and didn't know how to spell cigarette. Immediately someone in chat started to flip out thinking I was making a bill clinton reference

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

bedpan posted:

during the clinton administration, I was playing an online game called "The Realm." While walking through a burnout town I commented in the public chat that someone must have dropped a cigar, because I was young and didn't know how to spell cigarette. Immediately someone in chat started to flip out thinking I was making a bill clinton reference

during the clinton administration i played bygg bilar med mulle meck

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bedpan posted:

thres this extremely bad military sci fi series about 27th century marines and the crappy cigars the bad guys smoke are called clintons lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lobster shirt posted:

cigarettes ftw

ban this sick filth

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Megamissen posted:

maybe, but being able to breathe standing next to someone who snusar beats that out for me

Oh, so you hate dogs and want to poison them? You're in the right place.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

SplitSoul posted:

Oh, so you hate dogs and want to poison them? You're in the right place.

:doggo:

Orange Devil posted:

ban this sick filth

:emptyquote:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

danish queen just abdicated, very important brews

Was that the one whose son married an Australian

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Only an Australian gets to call a queen a oval office.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

something awful rules say that you may call the future queen a oval office, i guess

Orange Devil posted:

ban this sick filth

https://i.imgur.com/Fm4LZPW.mp4

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yep. Denmark is gonna get an Australian king before England.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yep. Denmark is gonna get an Australian king before England.

tbf half also kill the next king first, get the timing right

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you can't just kill a person and expect the danish king to be Australian. there are steps to take

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any Danish royal is Australian in spirit anyhow.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ever notice that since Brexit there’s been a sharp reduction in Shakespeare quotes whenever Denmark comes up in discussion?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Orange Devil posted:

Ever notice that since Brexit there’s been a sharp reduction in Shakespeare quotes whenever Denmark comes up in discussion?

fwiw it is still rotten here

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Orange Devil posted:

No?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

fwiw it is still rotten here

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

cigarettes ftw

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the people of Denmark are known as the Denmarese

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

small update on how the BSW is going

https://x.com/fraubalhorn/status/1743184175987880268

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ah yes that underserviced voting block, the racist economic sadist

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao. Did they actually let the dude join?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

WDR posted:

"On Monday, Sahra Wagenknecht will present the top staff for the European elections for her planned party. On the podium in Berlin: The former Mayor of the City of Düsseldorf, Thomas Geisel, until now SPD.

It is an invitation that attracts attention in the political Düsseldorf. On Monday, Sahra Wagenknecht will present her top staff for the vote in June at the Federal Press Conference in Berlin. The last of six names is that of Thomas Geisel.

The SPD politician had lost office in the 2020 municipal elections as mayor and had to hand over the chain of office for the administration leadership in the state capital to CDU Stephan Keller.

In an e-mail to friends and SPD members, however, Geisel confirms his transfer. The writing is available to WDR.

He would turn his back on the SPD after 40 years. He accused the party of "Put identity politics in place of a policy of equal opportunities." Thus, the individual achievement for the distribution of state functions and social resources is no longer decisive, "but gender, origin, color or sexual identity and orientation", write hostage.

The Düsseldorf SPD leader Zanda Martens reacted disappointedly to Geisel's decision. It is "a pity that this will destroy your political achievement and biography and sidelines," said the members of the Bundestag to the WDR. As Lord Mayor, he had "done a lot of good," says Martens.

The SPD parliamentary group chairman Jochen Ott, said in the WDR interview that he also regrets the step. "I think he was simply boredom and didn't know what to do this year. Since he thought to himself 'come, I go to another party'", says Ott.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao the state of all this

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

genericnick posted:

Lmao. Did they actually let the dude join?

The party still doesn't exist, so no.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I was not aware that the SPD had, in fact, moved away from neoliberal economics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao godt jeg ikke betaler abonnement

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1743688238743666690

quote:

Guter Austausch mit CSU im 🇩🇪 Bundestag. Viel Einigkeit. #Seeon24

Europa soll

➡️schneller, wettbewerbsfähiger, stärker werden

➡️Schutz zur Kernaufgabe machen

➡️Illegale Migration wirkungsvoll bekämpfen, dabei Verpflichtungen einhalten

➡️ Ducklo einbetten

Europa gibt Halt & Sicherheit im Wandel.
another Hitler is flying into the towers

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lol at the ducklo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

didn't know Spain had its own Dutchlike traditions
Anti-Racists Slam Blackface Use in Spain's Epiphany Parades

www.usnews.com posted:

ALCOY, Spain/BARCELONA/MADRID (Reuters) - Anti-racism activists in Spain have called for a ban on the use of blackface seen in many of the country's traditional Epiphany celebrations.

Rita Bosaho, the first Black woman in Spain's parliament, said the practice - part of annual Jan. 5 parades on the eve of Epiphany that depict the biblical Three Kings who brought gifts to Jesus - tarnish the memory of enslaved people and disempower Black children.

In the parades, actors portraying the kings, or Magi, ride past on floats and fling sweets, which are eagerly scooped up by children. Early Christian texts describe one of the kings, Balthazar, as African and Renaissance paintings often depict him as Black.

In the eastern town of Alcoy that has a long tradition of the parades, dozens of people acting the role of pages accompanied the kings in Friday's event, their faces painted black and with exaggerated, red-painted lips. Some ran along the edge of the crowd high-fiving children.

Bosaho, who led the Equality Ministry's racial diversity department from 2020 to 2023, said the use of blackface in the parades persisted because of a lack of debate on racism that she said permeated Spanish society.

"It sends a message that racism, that our skin doesn't matter," Bosaho added.

A spokesperson for the Equality Ministry was unavailable for comment during the holiday period.

A 2021 study commissioned by the Equality Ministry found that although nearly half of people of African descent living in Spain were born in the country, only 12% described themselves as "Afro-Spanish" and 60% said they did not feel Spanish due to discrimination they suffered.

People defending the use of blackface say they mean no harm and are just continuing a tradition.

The northeastern town of Igualada holds the oldest parade in the Catalonia region and most of its around 800 participants wear blackface.

"We don't consider ourselves xenophobic nor racist, nor do we consider racist the fact that some people dress up and apply makeup to act in a role and to bring joy to kids,"said Eduard Creus, who leads the private organisation behind the parade.

In Alcoy, the large gathering of pages with the kings are usually white local youths wearing blackface.

"We have our faces painted black because it's always been done and it's a great way for the local children of Alcoy who know us to be unable to know who we are," said Paula, who did not give her last name.

The local authority in Alcoy declined to be interviewed.

MADRID INCIDENT

A video published on Thursday by authorities in Madrid's Chamartin district showed a white actor playing Balthazar wearing blackface and addressing children in an apparently mock-West African accent, sparking a widespread outcry online and in the media.

"It's incredible that among the 120,000 residents of Madrid who are of African descent, they were unable to find a single one who can play the role of Balthazar," said Eduardo Rubino of the left-wing Mas Madrid party, describing the accent as "pathetic" and "pure racism".

Madrid's deputy mayor told reporters the video was a "regrettable error" by the company that produced it and said the city would seek an explanation.

Antoinette Torres, the founder of Afrofeminas, an online community seeking to boost Black womens' visibility, said there was a "lack of political will to tackle racism" but that nationwide legislation was needed to protect minors and end practices such as blackface.

"Normalising these tendencies leads to things that shouldn't be tolerated in the 21st century are still happening in Spain," she said, mentioning last year's hanging of an effigy depicting Black Real Madrid player Vinicius Jr from a bridge.

She added that many Spaniards do not see blackface as racist because the education system does not teach the country's past links to slavery and colonialism.

Spain once had a protectorate that comprised part of modern-day Morocco and colonies in what are now Equatorial Guinea and Western Sahara, and engaged in the slave trade into the 1800s.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 09:31 on Jan 8, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

didn't know Spain had its own Dutchlike traditions
Anti-Racists Slam Blackface Use in Spain's Epiphany Parades

It's somehow also a catholic thing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

It's somehow also a catholic thing.
the Italians do this poo poo too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

the Italians do this poo poo too?

Certainly the Austrians used to do it, but I haven’t seen it done with black face for quite some years.