Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

yaaay i got E2 Xueyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I did destruction path conundrum 4 by taking the “all your dice effects stay” path, then rerolling 20 times at Argenti. Fortunately I swapped Blade out for Gepard last second because I needed those shields to survive.

Fortunately Jingliu with almost 8k atk doesn’t need a sub-dps to kill a discount rose of versailles

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

We need more Bronyas

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I already have Ruan Mei and I'm tempted to pull for her E1, which I don't usually do with 5 stars. Her E1 gives 20% DEF shred to the entire team for the duration of her ultimate. Seems like a pretty insane upgrade.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
okay, yeah, i hate this new mode just as much as i thought i would. MUCH more strict with the dps requirements

missing out on 240 jades every other cycle is gonna sting a lot worse than only missing out on 60 for regular MoC

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Pure fiction loving suuuucccccckkkks. It's aggressively unfun. It feels like it was designed by such drooling loving morons that I'm starting to wonder if the rest of the game being fun was some weird accident. And I say this as someone who got all 12 stars, it feels like they distilled all the worst parts of the game into one lovely mode. It doesn't help that like 70% of the characters in the game are worthless in it too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pure Fiction owns. Being incentivized to use characters consigned by the community as "calyx farming tier" is A+

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Literally the only non-gacha character that works in this mode is Herta. Pure Fiction is a poo poo mode designed to punish people for not spending money. It sucks.

E: Serval too, I suppose.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Honestly wondering if you clear MoC12 with a team of Trailblazer, March, Dan, Asta, Herta, Serval, Qingque, Natasha and Lynx

Asta, by the way, is amazing in PF

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

serval, herta, phys trailblazer, himeko/clara/welt, (not guaranteed f2p but odds are most people have one of them since theyre standard and you can pick them with the 300 rolls thing eventually), and theres a lot of buffers that work better in this kind of environment, like yukong, asta, or hanya. the DoT crew (guinafen/sampo) since if they're built up enough they'll just kill the weaker enemies while dotting the stronger ones.

seems more like you're just mad you have to level new units. if anything this mode seems way easier for F2Ps than memory of chaos.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 8, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck i used the arlan i leveled as a joke and he was surprisingly decent.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in a perpetual state of leveling new units, it's just the last couple months have been one difficulty ratchet after another that really punishes anyone who hasn't pulled every new 5* as they've come out.

Like what's the point of having a build plan if you just get the meta completely rug pulled every three weeks or so.

EDIT: also clara sucks poo poo for this mode because her ult isn't an attack and the hard three turn limit means you need to ALWAYS BE ATTACKING which being a counter character is really not good for. It's everything I feared MoC was becoming, now.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 8, 2024

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

seems more like you're just mad you have to level new units. if anything this mode seems way easier for F2Ps than memory of chaos.

Nah leveling up characters is probably my favorite thing to do in this game. Like I even have Hook and Arlan at 80 and geared. I had no problem getting 12 stars but I do spend money on the game (not a lot, but still). If I reconfigure my groups around F2P friendly characters I get nowhere fast.

Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by a large number of kids who play this game and are mostly F2P and they are gonna be crushed by this mode.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Symphoric posted:

Literally the only non-gacha character that works in this mode is Herta. Pure Fiction is a poo poo mode designed to punish people for not spending money. It sucks.

E: Serval too, I suppose.

Both Trailblazer versions are fairly okay at aoe under the right circumstances too. It's not like Memories of Chaos are super friendly to the non-gacha units either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Symphoric posted:

Nah leveling up characters is probably my favorite thing to do in this game. Like I even have Hook and Arlan at 80 and geared. I had no problem getting 12 stars but I do spend money on the game (not a lot, but still). If I reconfigure my groups around F2P friendly characters I get nowhere fast.

Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by a large number of kids who play this game and are mostly F2P and they are gonna be crushed by this mode.
i seriously dont think they will be. if you literally just try and do it with the super f2p characters sure but theres nobody who plays this game who isnt rolling the gacha and the 4* characters are common enough (especially the launch ones) that most people will have them. i dont see how this is any harder than moc12, the units it wants are just different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tree Reformat posted:

Like what's the point of having a build plan if you just get the meta completely rug pulled every three weeks or so.
this truly makes the real build plan, simply roll and level who you like

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"This new mode is MoC, again" isn't exactly a selling point

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tree Reformat posted:

I'm in a perpetual state of leveling new units, it's just the last couple months have been one difficulty ratchet after another that really punishes anyone who hasn't pulled every new 5* as they've come out.

EDIT: also clara sucks poo poo for this mode because her ult isn't an attack and the hard three turn limit means you need to ALWAYS BE ATTACKING which being a counter character is really not good for. It's everything I feared MoC was becoming, now.

Clara is very good for this mode because counter attacks do not require a turn and will easily punk any idiot flappy bird thatooks at her and her skill is a true AOE attack that does full damage to all five enemies.

You get 4 cycles to efficiently clear waves of fairly fragile enemies so action economy is the most important thing. If you run dots you have to hold your ults until the enemies move so they take dot damage and die, letting you dump your ults on their fresh replacements. Himeko, Herta, Clara even Xueyi get free out of phase attacks and work great.

It lasts for 6 weeks that's plenty of time to pick some lesser used characters and level them up.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Endorph posted:

this truly makes the real build plan, simply roll and level who you like

It's this. I initially hated the MoC changes, but it's forced me to build characters that I initially ignored. It also really solidified my "pull for fun" philosophy. Pure Fiction will become a mostly solved problem, just like MoC.

It doesn't change my build plan. I'm leveling and tracing Guinaifen next, and then Sampo. After that, I should have everything to turbo charge Ratio. And then I'm finally going to complete my Physical Trailblazer.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 8, 2024

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

i seriously dont think they will be. if you literally just try and do it with the super f2p characters sure but theres nobody who plays this game who isnt rolling the gacha and the 4* characters are common enough (especially the launch ones) that most people will have them. i dont see how this is any harder than moc12, the units it wants are just different.
Well most of them only started around the PS5 release, and I'm basing this on how upset they were about the difficulty jump in the last MOC.

I'm probably being a bit short-sighted though. Like I know these modes are never gonna be friendly to people who just started playing, but this still feels like too much too soon. Will I still feel that way 1/2/3 months from now? Maybe, maybe not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not really required content is the thing. Like they didn't remove rewards from other modes and put them into pure fiction, it's just more rewards. If you can't do it right away you aren't missing out on anything you had before.

And yeah, the cycles last forever. In a month we'll still be on this cycle.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If you just started playing, then MoC will definitely be a challenge. It was a bit of a wall in 1.0 and 1.1 except for whales. That's just part of the game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's cool for a game to have a goal you can shoot for

6 weeks is also a hell of a time limit, and the PF gimmicks can be built around during that period. I used a Serval with Passkey versus Svarog's side to spam Ultimates and rack up the Shatter stacks and Ultimate damage buff for example. Also ultimately MoC/PF are just a small portion of your jade income. If you lose 240 jades per 2 weeks that's 3 warps per month, while F2Ps get roughly around 65 warps per month, so it's hardly backbreaking. And that gap will only get smaller over time as you build your roster.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 8, 2024

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Endorph posted:

It's not really required content is the thing. Like they didn't remove rewards from other modes and put them into pure fiction

Actually they kinda did by extending MoC periods by a week to make way for PF.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But don't we get a new moc in 2 weeks anyway

What is this now now now mentality for a 6 week thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bland posted:

Actually they kinda did by extending MoC periods by a week to make way for PF.
id like you to diagram how you think that works out

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Endorph posted:

id like you to diagram how you think that works out

We used to get three sets of MoC rewards per patch, now we only get two? With the addition of floors 11 + 12 plus PF it obviously adds up to more jades overall but clearly some of the rewards we were getting from MoC are now obtained via PF instead.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I like Pure Fiction. It turns all those 'joke' characters into serious must have characters. My Himeko and Herta just demolish their side while Argenti carries the other side.

Funnily, Jing Yuan really sucks in Pure Fiction. His Lightning Lord is just too slow

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pure Fiction might have me finish Serval.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

NeonPunk posted:

I like Pure Fiction. It turns all those 'joke' characters into serious must have characters. My Himeko and Herta just demolish their side while Argenti carries the other side.

Funnily, Jing Yuan really sucks in Pure Fiction. His Lightning Lord is just too slow

My JY does fine. True AOE skill + ult gets a lot done.

Bad Video Games posted:

Pure Fiction might have me finish Serval.

That's exactly what I'm doing as I write this. I gave her my JY's leftover gear from when I switched to the followup set and am currently farming the currency to ascend her from 70 to 80.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Moral of the story: time to level up Herta.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Clarste posted:

Moral of the story: time to level up Herta.

the bastards are finally making me do it :argh:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

They're making me level QQ at last...

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tae posted:

But don't we get a new moc in 2 weeks anyway

What is this now now now mentality for a 6 week thing

The standard mentality of “if I can’t clear the new content the nanosecond jt comes out its poorly balanced poo poo” of these sorts of games.

God forbid you have to build new characters in a game about building characters to make teams.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm mainly in shambles right now because I began like three weeks ago and am not even finished kitting out my primary team :v: and according to this calculator I found it's going to take me like 17 and a half days to hit the next EQ level.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zurai posted:

My JY does fine. True AOE skill + ult gets a lot done.

That's exactly what I'm doing as I write this. I gave her my JY's leftover gear from when I switched to the followup set and am currently farming the currency to ascend her from 70 to 80.

Mine is level 70 and already ascended. Her traces are already around level 8 since she's e6. I just need to unlock her A6 and tighten her up a bit. She'll be a better aoe support for Kafka, and she'll be quicker to finish than Gui or Sampo.

Bussamove posted:

The standard mentality of “if I can’t clear the new content the nanosecond jt comes out its poorly balanced poo poo” of these sorts of games.

God forbid you have to build new characters in a game about building characters to make teams.

It felt bad under the old system. 2 weeks was too short of a time period if you had to pivot to a new character. 6 weeks means you can take your sweet time and actually focus on your week points for this round.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

NachtSieger posted:

I'm mainly in shambles right now because I began like three weeks ago and am not even finished kitting out my primary team :v: and according to this calculator I found it's going to take me like 17 and a half days to hit the next EQ level.

Just settle back and enjoy the story. Seriously, take your time.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

It does kind of suck to join late and watch a few ten pulls worth of currency pass by because you're not quite built up enough yet to get them, but it's not really the end of the world and it's the kind of FOMO you have to learn to live with if you want to play these games without making bad financial decisions

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Bad Video Games posted:

Just settle back and enjoy the story. Seriously, take your time.

I'm actually already done with the story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Symphoric posted:

Case study, as a F2Per. My first pass through Pure Fiction:

Stage 1: 72488 points, three stars
Stage 2: 64879 points, three stars
Stage 3: 37685 points, no stars
Stage 4: best so far is about ~25K, failed challenge

Having six weeks to tune teams makes this more of a project for me than a full writeoff. I have an E6 Herta, for example, but she needs further building to get her to the point where I'd even try her in this mode.

I'm not a BIG fan of this mode for the same reason that I dislike MoC -- both of these are focused around minmaxing offense and killing with maximum efficiency and speed. My general gameplan in games of this nature is to focus on defense and healing and nibble away at enemies, maintaining safety, not berzerker mode.

delfin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 8, 2024