Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Randalor posted:

Does Adrian's Digital Basement and RMC count as restoration channels?

Oh God please don't tell me there's some horrible chuddiness lurking behind those channels.

if you enjoy watching them what do ANY of these questions matter? no one is asking for you to donate to them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

if you enjoy watching them what do ANY of these questions matter? no one is asking for you to donate to them lol

i mean in this thread in the last week we've had discussion of two chuds in the community (8-bit guy and jayztwocents) and you can definitely feel it affecting the content a bit sometimes.

Also, speaking of RMC, Neil posted an end of year update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loYmGkVzfNg

He goes over some similar points in terms of income, YouTube algorithms, community building, so forth and so on just like 8-bit guy does, and unsurprisingly he has a much more positive, inclusive approach to these concerns than David Murray did. As well as him slipping a personal announcement in near the end that his approach makes very clear he is not a chud, just like I thought.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
That personal announcement was delightful.

Also, keep in mind that Neil is not only restoring these machines but actively showing them in a museum he built himself. Additionally, he organizes meetings where people from the UK game development scene of the 80s and 90s come in and do presentations and he puts those presentations up on YouTube for free as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lady Radia posted:

It does matter because helping to boost some chuds YouTube channel with views/likes/comments/whatever, thereby making the algorithm push them to more people is a bad thing.

Mercifully, I think Adrian is on the complete opposite end of that spectrum.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

i agree that people can get too wrapped up in the ethics of every single thing they consume

but if someone says "yeah this guy fantasizes about killing black people" then that one is pretty easy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the recommending RMC - never seen it before, looks like it's totally my jam.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I watched this. He’s not like, super whiny about it so it comes across more like a frank and serious explanation about his finances and why he’s going to stop doing certain types of videos (restorations).

He seems smarter than most in accepting that YouTube isn’t a career.
I watched half of it last night as I was nodding off, but imho I agree he didn't seem whiny and generally accepting like I was expecting from some of the comments.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That Dr Beer restoration channel seems good, he's genuinely pretty talented when making replacement bits and bobs and I enjoy watching him electroplate original pins, bolts and stuff back to near new condition even though they're barely visible in the assembled product.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inept posted:

but if someone says "yeah this guy fantasizes about killing black people" then that one is pretty easy

Of which two have already been mentioned on this page, which brings us back around to why its important

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It does matter because helping to boost some chuds YouTube channel with views/likes/comments/whatever, thereby making the algorithm push them to more people is a bad thing.

Mercifully, I think Adrian is on the complete opposite end of that spectrum.

obviously if they use it as a platform to spew hateful rhetoric, that's one thing. but if you really have to dig into their entire history and facebook likes or w/e to determine if they're A Secret Chud, you're not really accomplishing anything, and if you dont know they're a chud but they say in videos Blue Lives Matter or w/e then you're being willfully obtuse and an idiot.

otherwise, like - it's like boycotting Disney poo poo. you're not gonna impact anything at all. you'll have no effect on watching or not watching them. dont morally tie yourself to people you'll never know and never have a relationship with

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lady Radia posted:

obviously if they use it as a platform to spew hateful rhetoric, that's one thing. but if you really have to dig into their entire history and facebook likes or w/e to determine if they're A Secret Chud, you're not really accomplishing anything, and if you dont know they're a chud but they say in videos Blue Lives Matter or w/e then you're being willfully obtuse and an idiot.

otherwise, like - it's like boycotting Disney poo poo. you're not gonna impact anything at all. you'll have no effect on watching or not watching them. dont morally tie yourself to people you'll never know and never have a relationship with

Many youtubers that did a "Opsie" scrubbed their history of videos and comments, just because you cannot see now it doesn't mean it never happened.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lady Radia posted:

It's fine if you don't care, but other people very much do. You are the one justifying yourself here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve dropped a lot of stuff from my watchlist from just being uncomfortable with the views they’ve espoused and don’t find myself to be missing anything. There are a million options out there for content so it’s not really that much of a big deal to just go where you feel you align with the creator’s stated values.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

priznat posted:

I’ve dropped a lot of stuff from my watchlist from just being uncomfortable with the views they’ve espoused and don’t find myself to be missing anything. There are a million options out there for content so it’s not really that much of a big deal to just go where you feel you align with the creator’s stated values.

Right, you owe nothing to anyone for any reason. If you don't like how someone talks or hell even if you don't like their set, just....stop watching. If they just are lovely in production or overproduced or lame or racist or whatever. You need to give absolutely zero reason to not watch someone or something.
Youtube as a machine exists to entertain. If you aren't, for any reason, just don't watch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah like I stopped watching kkclue videos after that really boring Tamagotchi video where they did a bunch of """comedy""" misprononciations of anime titles in a dumb voice that was the poo poo cap on an already bad video. You can just unsubscribe because the videos suck which is my approach to The 8-Bit Guy in particular.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
you can just leave

just unsubscribe

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Right, you owe nothing to anyone for any reason. If you don't like how someone talks or hell even if you don't like their set, just....stop watching. If they just are lovely in production or overproduced or lame or racist or whatever. You need to give absolutely zero reason to not watch someone or something.
Youtube as a machine exists to entertain. If you aren't, for any reason, just don't watch.

Yeah the biggest example for me is how Linus irritates the gently caress out of me so I avoid any LTT stuff :haw:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I enjoyed Retro Core's old game port comparisons but then he got covid and referred to it in a video (saying why his voice might be odd) as "the China virus" and that was that. I think that's the only channel I've actively dropped, along with 8bitguy

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I enjoyed Retro Core's old game port comparisons but then he got covid and referred to it in a video (saying why his voice might be odd) as "the China virus" and that was that. I think that's the only channel I've actively dropped, along with 8bitguy

Thought that was just a take on the old Spanish Flu name but nope, it's xenophobia. :ughh:

2024 and i'm still wearing a mask when shopping, dodging my yearly cold and flu viruses is nice (first cold since 2019 was this xmas). :peanut:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sagacity posted:

That personal announcement was delightful.

He was like “oh crap I’m not supposed to talk about my personal life on the channel! I’m leaking! Sorry, everyone!”

And I’m like “No, Neil, you should share that proudly if you want to. That’s a big deal.”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Not watching it but what’s the announcement?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

well why not posted:

He and his wife have been approved as adopters and now begin the process of matching up with the right child

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

He and his wife have been approved to be adoptive parents and are entering the matchmaking process with their local agency. Very clearly above board and with rigorous verification, not some fly by night Christian third world poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah most adoption in the UK is handled by local government services, hence foster care and adoption being heavy subjects of government public information films from the 70s and still occasionally rolled out now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

it seems a waste of energy to go "oh no! I hope this channel I like isn't a secret fascist!" when its usually extremely obvious when someone is one. but do what you gotta do I suppose

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
take it back to cspam this is SH/SC tbqh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Yeah the biggest example for me is how Linus irritates the gently caress out of me so I avoid any LTT stuff :haw:

:emptyquote:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lady Radia posted:

Its not hard to discover that Jayztwocents and 8bitguy are chuds. Being willfully ignorant of that and watching anyway because you personally dont have an effect is the same sort of problem as saying you dont vote because one vote doesnt really count overall.

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023
better things are not possible
queue up the driveway retrobrite

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
LOL 4 videos in like 8 hours for LTT.

Really taking that "they seem overworked" to heart.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

apatheticman posted:

LOL 4 videos in like 8 hours for LTT.

Really taking that "they seem overworked" to heart.

I don't think that means anything. Their cadence is really inconsistent compared to a few months ago, so that could just mean 3 different teams had to take longer than expected and 4 were completed on the same day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd give them a pass today, CES is happening and it seems like every parts manufacturer had their embargo end at the same time. So these were probably made in a single shoot. GN had 2 videos go up about half an hour apart and Paul's Hardware I think had 3.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

njsykora posted:

I'd give them a pass today, CES is happening and it seems like every parts manufacturer had their embargo end at the same time. So these were probably made in a single shoot. GN had 2 videos go up about half an hour apart and Paul's Hardware I think had 3.

Fair enough

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah a bunch of videos landing at once is less iffy than the death march of a video a day or whatever the pre call out schedule was. It suggests that a bunch of stuff was finished rather than an arbitrary deadline was being hit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kibner posted:

I just use MakeMKV. I flashed my drive with LibreDrive (more info) using this guide and it gets around region locking and various file encryptions schemes as well as increasing the max read speed of my drive. A lot of this may only be necessary for BluRays, though. Not sure.

In any case, MakeMKV does not do any transcoding. It rips the exact files off the disc (but decrypted). You can use Handbrake afterwards to transcode to whatever format or compression you want. MakeMKV also lets you pick out which audio and subtitle tracks you want to rip, too. Removing languages you don't care about is a great and easy way to save a lot of drive space.

Thanks for the recommendation. I started the job tonight and MakeMKV is doing great. Might reencode in Handbrake for smaller size later, it's not like it's HD or anything.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its not hard to discover that Jayztwocents and 8bitguy are chuds. Being willfully ignorant of that and watching anyway because you personally dont have an effect is the same sort of problem as saying you dont vote because one vote doesnt really count overall.

sure, im not pushing back on those two examples because as you say its clear. I just think prematurely fretting over it and asking for “can i watch this person” permission slips sucks i guess!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats where we differ I guess. I genuinely dont want to consume media created by that type of person, nor do I want to help enhance their platform with my views, likes, attention, comments, shares, etc, even if they do make entertaining content (lovely people can still be good at their job). Asking around is easier than digging through the cesspool that is twitter and whatever random other stuff they use.

Its not a permission slip for me, its a permission slip for them to have or not have all of the stuff they and the algorithm need from me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You will never run out of entertainment no matter how much of it you cut out no matter the reason, there is too much!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KakerMix posted:

You will never run out of entertainment no matter how much of it you cut out no matter the reason, there is too much!

Yeah it’s kind of ridiculous. I recall growing up in the 80s (:corsair:) it was not too hard to keep up with most if not all of the major trends like tv shows (must see tv!), music etc. now no way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think it's just a today thing, I assume every generation before us hit a point where they were like "who on earth is that person, I don't recognise any of this music" because your life ends up having more things going on in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
sometimes i think youtube isn't for me anymore