Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
drat, first time i've seen a takedown of the CBD study (studies?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

maxwellhill posted:

drat, first time i've seen a takedown of the CBD study (studies?)

I'm gonna keep doing The Weed just in case. Not because I like it. Nobody put it in the paper that I like it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

toggle posted:

only a matter of time :smith:

Yeah we're toast.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah I hear you and share your frustrations, goon. The fact that even local vet's and doctor's offices are being gobbled up and gutted by private equity is extremely depressing.

On a more pragmatic level, there might well be a relative lull after this big JN.1 wave. Timing your visit for that would probably be your best bet if you can't find anything Covid-safe. (That's what I'm having to do, too...)

Yeah, at this point, I'm planning my visit for the next lull.

corona familiar posted:

in addition to the timing suggestions from others, have you considered the sticky mask nose technique or bringing an air purifier to run during your visit? if you're able to find an office that has individual procedure rooms it might be the best you can do

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsQKrpKOYY

https://youtu.be/VUJGYM894Bw

Oh, that's fascinating. I hadn't seen that before. I've got a pile of those on hand for when I have medical imaging appointments, so it'd be easy enough to do what that person's doing and just put it over my nose. That's a good question about the air purifier, too. I wonder if I can find somewhere that'd let me bring a cube or something.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

All cspam thread eventually will all converge into a singular thread.

https://twitter.com/MahaGaza/status/1744112988154413506

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

NeonPunk posted:

:smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Liberals will blame Hamas for extending “the pandemic of the unvaccinated”.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Getting Paxlovid or Remdesivir requires going to a Clinical Assesment Centre. See if you can spot the problem now that covid is over:

Clinic 1

Please call to schedule an appointment. Services offered in Inuktitut and English.

Who can use the service (if eligible): All ages of the Inuit population

Clinic 2

**PEDIATRIC Serves infants >2m, children and youth up to age 18.*** Appointment only. Call or visit their website to make an appointment

Who can use the service (if eligible):
Anyone over 2 months old

Clinic 3

**PEDIATRIC Serves infants >2m, children and youth up to age 18.** By appointment physician assessment of children 0-18y with acute fever or respiratory symptoms. COVID-19 testing available for children with an appointment as well as accompanying parents and siblings.

Who can use the service (if eligible)
Anyone over 2 months old

:canada:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Liberals will blame Hamas for extending “the pandemic of the unvaccinated”.

No they won't. That's soooo last year.

It's now post-pandemic, this is just the new normal. It's rather weird that we're even talking about something so normal.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

first day back in the office after the holidays and I am chuffed as chips that it’s loving empty lol, hopefully that means the sick people are actually staying away

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

deadwing posted:

first day back in the office after the holidays and I am chuffed as chips that it’s loving empty lol, hopefully that means the sick people are actually staying away

sorry all your coworkers are dead or disabled, this means you get to pick up all the slack until we hire replacements, which we’ll get around to when people feel like working again. No we aren’t going to offer more competitive wages. No you won’t get paid more for doing everyone else’s job. we’re a family here. Also stop wearing that stupid mask it doesn’t do anything and scares the customers.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gotta say that it's definitely noticeable just how more tired my coworkers are nowadays. Just having bus drivers straight up taking catnaps right at their timepoint stops at every minutes they can.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

trashy owl posted:

I'm gonna keep doing The Weed just in case. Not because I like it. Nobody put it in the paper that I like it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mumbling posted:

On the subject of Metrix, has anyone here had it catch asymptomatic infections? I know on paper its supposed to be PCR accurate, but I’m curious if there are any goon antidotes that speak to its efficacy.
also wondering this. i'm down to two expired luciras.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

also wondering this. i'm down to two expired luciras.

Thankfully haven’t had a positive yet so can’t tell you.

edit: from Reddit:

quote:

From what I understand from their FDA data here, they reported the rate that their tests "agreed" with official PCR results:

Nasal, symptomatic, positive: 95%
Nasal, symptomatic, negative: 97.1%
Nasal, asymptomatic, positive: 100%
Nasal, asymptomatic, negative: 99.2%
Total pos: 96.7% (59/61) Total neg: 99.0% (293/296)
Saliva, symptomatic, positive: 90.2%
Saliva, symptomatic, negative: 100%
Saliva, asymptomatic, positive: 90.5%
Saliva, asymptomatic, negative: 99.2%
Total pos: 90.3% (56/62) Total neg: 99.3% (293/295)
So just as accurate as approved nasal swab tests from however long ago they got approved. Which, heh.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Jan 8, 2024

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

NeonPunk posted:

Gotta say that it's definitely noticeable just how more tired my coworkers are nowadays. Just having bus drivers straight up taking catnaps right at their timepoint stops at every minutes they can.

People got to be on energy drinks and zyn pouches to make it through the day

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Plague Island is gonna keep on Plaguing

https://twitter.com/GillianKeegan/status/1744287353781342314

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

How does 380,000 compare to the excess pediatric death numbers?

Also, :ughh:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hungry Squirrel posted:

How does 380,000 compare to the excess pediatric death numbers?
:nsa:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What's the best N95 specifically meant for exercise? I can play dodgeball in a duckbill N95, but I'm playing some basketball this winter and that involves a lot more running.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Howard Stern got pozzed

https://www.wtrf.com/news/howard-stern-has-covid-19/

:rip: to a real one

too bad even he has bad info about testing... anyone know what kind of mask he was wearing?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dren posted:

Howard Stern got pozzed

https://www.wtrf.com/news/howard-stern-has-covid-19/

:rip: to a real one

too bad even he has bad info about testing... anyone know what kind of mask he was wearing?

It wasn't even three months ago that someone posted an article here wherein the media implied that he was a fuckin weirdo for even caring about getting sick

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

What's the best N95 specifically meant for exercise? I can play dodgeball in a duckbill N95, but I'm playing some basketball this winter and that involves a lot more running.

probably gonna come down to either Auras or Vflexes

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Chamale posted:

3m Aura 9211

my wife powerlifts wearing one, no problem at all. i have accidentally run in one coming out of work and not noticed.

they recently change the exhalation valve to be even better

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
News items so far today are basically just this article in particular state form:

https://www.vox.com/even-better/2024/1/8/24026652/cold-flu-influenza-covid-rsv-season-respiratory-virus-cough-sneeze posted:

Yes, everyone is sick right now. So what can you do about it?
How to prevent and treat colds, the flu, Covid-19, and more.

Does it feel like everyone you know is sick right now? It’s not your imagination: It’s been a particularly fierce season for all kinds of respiratory infections, from mild colds to more serious bugs.
(..)
A broader age group is turning up very sick, too. In addition to the usual severe illness in people with chronic conditions, who are typically more vulnerable to bad outcomes, Desai said, “we’re also seeing those that may be younger or middle-aged who really don’t have any other major contributors to their medical history, but are coming in really sick, from whether it’s the flu, RSV, or some of the other common viruses.”
(..)
:thunk:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NeonPunk posted:

The zionazi entity also bombed Gaza's only COVID lab years back.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

3m Aura 9211

my wife powerlifts wearing one, no problem at all. i have accidentally run in one coming out of work and not noticed.

I think I still have some lying around from the last time I asked this question, actually. I found the exhalation valve a little too effective, making me dehydrated, but I could wear a different mask on the way to the gym and change outside. Thanks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

News items so far today are basically just this article in particular state form:

A few years ago, most people hadn't even heard of RSV. Now it's "Flu and RSV season," and covid maybe occasionally gets tacked on as a side mention.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CoasterMaster posted:

I just got mine direct from the source. They shipped very quick and showed up a couple days later. Definitely not as streamlined and easy to use as the Cue ones, but no harder than your average RAT.

Yeah the Cue felt like something Apple would release (with an Apple price).

Highly recommend the Metrix. $25/test is in (American priced) RAT territory. Well worth the peace of mind.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pingui posted:

maybe somebody more educated than me can tell me how wrong I am but I wonder with covid wrecking immune systems does it make it easier for other lesser viruses to transmit?

my spouse and kid have been PCR tested for covid so many times and it’s been negative but it’s usually some adenovirus or something else that isn’t in the flu/rsv/strep/covid mix

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

maybe somebody more educated than me can tell me how wrong I am but I wonder with covid wrecking immune systems does it make it easier for other lesser viruses to transmit?

my spouse and kid have been PCR tested for covid so many times and it’s been negative but it’s usually some adenovirus or something else that isn’t in the flu/rsv/strep/covid mix

Yes but only because of the immunity debt from lockdowns

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

sonatinas posted:

The sum of everything I have seen is "yes" but I don't have sources at my fingertips.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm a dum dum but if you think how the immune system works then it should be yes. If you don't have a robust immune system then there is gonna be more viruses sneaking past the first line of defense and they'll get to start nfecting cells and producing more viruses to spread. You'll have it being constantly producing more viruses too since with a weaker immune system, it takes longer for your body to repeal the viruses so you'll be spreading the viruses sooner and for longer.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

sonatinas posted:

(..)

Yes. At the extreme end I think that is what we saw with mpox, where the Reff could/can only sneak up in the positive in the West within the confines of ~40% (iirc) of the infected cohort having HIV.

COVID isn't at the same level of HIV, but research has come out that it increases your risk of getting RSV by roughly 40%. Some of that is likely just short term stuff seen with most serious disease (see also the research showing a flu infection increased your chance of getting COVID).

The extent to which the longer term effects are drivers, we cannot currently determine.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

I'm a dum dum but if you think how the immune system works then it should be yes. If you don't have a robust immune system then there is gonna be more viruses sneaking past the first line of defense and they'll get to start nfecting cells and producing more viruses to spread. You'll have it being constantly producing more viruses too since with a weaker immune system, it takes longer for your body to repeal the viruses so you'll be spreading the viruses sooner and for longer.

Grats on being halfway to a medical degree.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Guy with full face mask on 271 - reveal yourself

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chamale posted:

Steve Yun posted:

probably gonna come down to either Auras or Vflexes

3m Aura 9211

Yeah! For fellow big face havers, as someone sittin here looking at a 9205, 9210+, and 9211+, I can verify that as Number Go Up, size go Slightly Down.

the 9211+ is the snuggest of the varieties of Aura.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Oh my goodness... he's even wearing the 3M™ Advanced Particulate Filter 2297, P100, with Nuisance Level Organic Vapor Relief. :swoon:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mawarannahr posted:

Guy with full face mask on 271 - reveal yourself

I don't understand what is happening in this post, but I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

The zionazi entity also bombed Gaza's only COVID lab years back.

if hamas invented covid in a lab then i may have to revisit my stance on hamas

anyway my covid virgin friend just tested positive for the first time ever today after a hospital forced them to unmask during a job interview lol