Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Also post-credits I got a scene where Raphael chewed me out for violating our contract and not giving him the crown, despite the fact that I destroyed the contract and murdered him extremely hard. I'm assume that's only supposed to trigger if you don't do House of Hope?

This happened to me too. Looking around, people seem to think this is a bug? Or at least a fourth wall thing. Especially since if you look at the crystal ball in Devil's Fee after killing Raphael you see Mephistopholes eating Raphael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think that's a pretty common bug with the epilogue, I've seen it twice and Raphael was very much dead in both playthroughs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

That DICK! posted:

I finally beat da drat game. Anyone else do this? I basically had it in mind from the second I looted the item

thanks for lettin me borrow it ya jabroni

lmao

exquisite tea posted:

I think that's a pretty common bug with the epilogue, I've seen it twice and Raphael was very much dead in both playthroughs.

In my one he was dead but then he popped up and said thanks for letting Gale become the god of ambition. I thought maybe he wasn't dead dead because of it but I assume it's a bug, because everyone takes it that we killed him for good since it was in his own home.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 8, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was doing the Gale romance path completely by accident before I realized it. Sorry Gale, i only have eyes for Karlach.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Speaking with Gale as a Wizard is funny because there's a constant passive aggressive aura of "hmm that sounds really bad for you, maybe I am just better...?"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
kinda wish more than one camp event could happen on a night tbh

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Speaking with Gale as a Wizard is funny because there's a constant passive aggressive aura of "hmm that sounds really bad for you, maybe I am just better...?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FYI: When you're getting whipped by the Loviator dude at the Goblin Camp, you can take off all your armor for a +4 bonus to all your checks. Makes them very easy to pass for one of the best permanent buffs in the game.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kolodny posted:

Especially since if you look at the crystal ball in Devil's Fee after killing Raphael you see Mephistopholes eating Raphael.

(Act 3) Wait, what? Another thing I missed

Tried to search on Youtube just now but can't find any videos of this specific part of this

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Dead doesn’t mean permanently dead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I still think it's unintentional because he never got an epilogue scene in the previous patches after being killed, and his speech always defaults to "you gave Gale the Crown of Karsus instead of me" no matter what you chose.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

You can look at the crystal balls?!?!?!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So you can save the tieflings, Minthara, and Sazza all at the same time now, though you have to do a few things in a specific order. The wiki still implies that Sazza auto dies if you don't side with the goblins, but after saving her twice she only goes temporarily hostile when the rest of the goblin camp goes agro, so you still have a chance to knock her out.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

exquisite tea posted:

FYI: When you're getting whipped by the Loviator dude at the Goblin Camp, you can take off all your armor for a +4 bonus to all your checks. Makes them very easy to pass for one of the best permanent buffs in the game.

Yea I did this too

For the bonus

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

JBP posted:

Here's something I've never figured out. When you go down into Ethel's and there is poisons everywhere how can you avoid it? I just run through it all and accept taking a tiny amount of damage (or none if you roll saves), even on tactician. The biggest challenge is pressing g and making everyone run down individually because they stop and look at the gas if you don't.

as other people mentioned you can either pass the checks to see the traps or use feather fall and jump past them, but another option is to take one of the possession masks, cast Protection from Good and Evil on a character, and then have them put the mask on and they'll have all the traps revealed to them without risk of being possessed

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I find I generally have exactly 4 protection from good and evil scrolls by the time I hit Ethel’s lair so I just have everyone cast it and wear the masks then run down

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One thing I'm curious about... the percentage of players who opt to play as one of the non-dark-urge origins for their first playthrough. My impression is that it's a fairly low percentage... and if that is indeed the case, then I'd say that having them as an option at all was a mistake, just because their opening trailer kind of ruins each one's early-game "twist" (astarion tells you he's a vampire, shadowheart a priestess of shar, wyll a devil warlock, etc) and for me at least it hurt the experience.

If the percentage of players who picked an origin character is high, then we can ignore this post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the last time Larian released metrics, something like 72% of all first-time players chose a non-origin Tav. Among the origins, Gale(?) was inexplicably the most popular choice, followed by Shadowheart and then small fractions for the rest. This was pretty much the opposite of Divinity: Original Sin II, where the origin characters were a lot more popular than customs. I think the reason why Tav is the predominant choice for BG3 is because the game has a much more robust character creator than DOS2, which makes customizing your own avatar more fun, and it's more interesting to see the origin characters act and react to you rather than playing a mostly mute version of Shadowheart for the entire game. I don't know if Larian predicted that Tav would be the go-to for 3/4ths of everyone who played BG3 but it's easy to see why they invested a lot of time and energy to do it, because origins were more popular in DOS2.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The point of the origin characters is to make the game more accessible to people who might otherwise be intimidated at all the choices involved in a custom character. They’d be a tiny minority of people here in this thread (if any) but probably a much larger % of players in general, especially given how much of a cultural phenomenon this game has become and how many people are playing it who wouldn’t usually be expected to play a big complex CRPG.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

exquisite tea posted:

I think the last time Larian released metrics, something like 72% of all first-time players chose a non-origin Tav. Among the origins, Gale(?) was inexplicably the most popular choice, followed by Shadowheart and then small fractions for the rest. This was pretty much the opposite of Divinity: Original Sin II, where the origin characters were a lot more popular than customs. I think the reason why Tav is the predominant choice for BG3 is because the game has a much more robust character creator than DOS2, which makes customizing your own avatar more fun, and it's more interesting to see the origin characters act and react to you rather than playing a mostly mute version of Shadowheart for the entire game. I don't know if Larian predicted that Tav would be the go-to for 3/4ths of everyone who played BG3 but it's easy to see why they invested a lot of time and energy to do it, because origins were more popular in DOS2.

the devs went out of their way in interviews and media and stuff to encourage players not to pick an origin character for their first playthrough, though I have no idea how well that message permeated across to the broader audience

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Joke’s on them I am really good at picking options (I’ve completed the game as gith 4 times)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Has anyone else run into this weird bug in the Chamber of Courage in the Act 3 Wyrmway? (the trial where you have to protect a character holding a torch from air/water elementals and myrmidons and their various abilities for four turns). When I talk to the statue to start the challenge the game freezes on "Environmental Turn" and won't proceed. Weirdly enough I can hit quicksave and the combat proceeds, but then the turn counter on the challenge won't decrement so I'm stuck in it forever.

I'm just down here immediately after killing Gortash (the fact that the waypoint re-enables after you kill him but the Flaming Fist in the same room don't de-aggro was A Fun Surprise), so maybe I should try a long rest to reset things before coming back to Wyrm's Rock?

But honestly I don't need to do this (I've been L12 since House of Grief and only have House of Hope, Orin, and the finale left in this run, plus maybe Cazador and the Artist quest; while the loot from Ansur is cool it isn't must-have for anyone I'm using) so if I can't find a bugfix I'll save it for another run after another patch or ten, and just decide whether it'll be more fun plot-wise bringing Karlach or Wyll on this trip to hell.

But I figured I'd ask around and see if people had hit/worked around the lockup themselves?

still enjoying things but A3 is disjointed in a lot of ways, I suppose I should have expected this after DOS2

exquisite tea posted:

Among the origins, Gale(?) was inexplicably the most popular choice

idk it's pretty explicable to me that nerds would gravitate to the nerdy wizard Origin

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 8, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I picked Astarion because origin characters have ties to the world and usually some kind of quest line. Also Pathfinder and DOS2 it was helpful to have at least one guy who could walk into whatever the settings miasma of death was called.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

exquisite tea posted:

Among the origins, Gale(?) was inexplicably the most popular choice, followed by Shadowheart and then small fractions for the rest.

White male nerds tend to gravitate towards the white male wizard, and also Gale gets his cat whose name I forgot as a unique camp member so it's also a unique piece of content that probably attracted a lot of players over all the other origins.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it's simple demographics + him being a pretty good-looking guy. I guess there's also the fact that if you play as him, you can make him be less insufferably smug

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Thundarr posted:

So you can save the tieflings, Minthara, and Sazza all at the same time now, though you have to do a few things in a specific order. The wiki still implies that Sazza auto dies if you don't side with the goblins, but after saving her twice she only goes temporarily hostile when the rest of the goblin camp goes agro, so you still have a chance to knock her out.

You can save Sazza? I need to read up on this, as she died in all my past session, and I'm playing a run now where I saved Minthara and the tieflings.

Jay Rust posted:

One thing I'm curious about... the percentage of players who opt to play as one of the non-dark-urge origins for their first playthrough. My impression is that it's a fairly low percentage... and if that is indeed the case, then I'd say that having them as an option at all was a mistake, just because their opening trailer kind of ruins each one's early-game "twist" (astarion tells you he's a vampire, shadowheart a priestess of shar, wyll a devil warlock, etc) and for me at least it hurt the experience.

If the percentage of players who picked an origin character is high, then we can ignore this post

I think most people go custom Tav, then Dark Urge, then origins, at least that's what I did or was doing, although Honor Mode threw a wrench in my play thrus, as I kind of restarted to do it over again in Honor Mode :)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

You can save Sazza? I need to read up on this, as she died in all my past session, and I'm playing a run now where I saved Minthara and the tieflings.

I think most people go custom Tav, then Dark Urge, then origins, at least that's what I did or was doing, although Honor Mode threw a wrench in my play thrus, as I kind of restarted to do it over again in Honor Mode :)

i saved sazza by getting her out of harm's way (i threw her in a pit i can only assume was full of pillows)

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I've been reading you can lock yourself out of romancing Karlach and I think I have. Reddit seems to think there is a very specific sequence of events that you need to do. Which I did not do. But, I did upgrade her twice in the beginning of Act 2 and she has a "Very Good" disposition towards me. Just no dialogue options to move anything forward since. I'm currently in the closing parts of Act 2 (I think, 1st playthrough).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to get her "I wanna ride you til you see stars" camp scene in Act 1 and it has to come before the tiefling party. Whether or not you upgrade her heart in Act 1 doesn't matter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

exquisite tea posted:

You have to get her "I wanna ride you til you see stars" camp scene in Act 1 and it has to come before the tiefling party. Whether or not you upgrade her heart in Act 1 doesn't matter.

I received that scene and and then at the end of Act 2 she said she'd visit me that night, which never happened. Curious if mine is now broken despite not doing any other bugs/tricks to save the grove and keep her alive. I straight slaughtered the Tieflings (which felt really gross as I got into it, this drat game) and played it that way.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

After doing a run where I saved the tieflings and minthara, I honestly don't like it. The game doesn't feel like it was made to have that happen and instead feels like an easier way to do it so that the people who were using exploits didn't have to go through so much trouble. Next time I'm just killing the tieflings if I wanna run with her

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Steak posted:

I've been reading you can lock yourself out of romancing Karlach and I think I have. Reddit seems to think there is a very specific sequence of events that you need to do. Which I did not do. But, I did upgrade her twice in the beginning of Act 2 and she has a "Very Good" disposition towards me. Just no dialogue options to move anything forward since. I'm currently in the closing parts of Act 2 (I think, 1st playthrough).

if you started a romance with three other folks you are locked out. I had started one with Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Astarian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shard posted:

if you started a romance with three other folks you are locked out. I had started one with Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Astarian.

lol

Apparently Shadowheart is the jelly type so good luck with that

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I was banging the green lady, yeah

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

lol

I dropped her rear end at the temple in act 2 because I wanted to go for a Minthara romance. Honestly there isn't much there that you wouldn't get just by having her in her party so I don't think I'll do another Minthara romance unless they beef it up again

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Steak posted:

You can fix this with a lot script extender functions but if you don’t get the Act 2 scene you can still get the Hot Date in Act 3

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AgentHaiTo posted:

What I did was basically:

stop the tieflings from executing Sazza
clear the tunnel under the grove
break Sazza out and lead her through the tunnel to escape
at the goblin camp, convince Minthara to take mercy on Sazza
tell Minthara that you something to do first (otherwise she immediately starts the raid)
initiate combat with Minthara outside of dialog so she's temp hostile, knock her out
take out Gut and Ragzlin
when the rest of the goblin fort goes agro, Sazza was set to temp hostile rather than full hostile. knock her out
In act 2, worm Z'rell so she doesn't execute Minthara immediately
let the goblins (including Sazza) go free
rescue Minthara

All of the tiefling rescue stuff can take place alongside these steps. The main reason to rescue Sazza three times is there's an achievement tied to it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I've got a friend playing a sorcerer and he says that you've got a bunch of opportunities to do the equivalent of saying "Look at this nerd that had to study in order to do magic."

Phlegmish posted:

lol

IDK apparently if you romance her and approach her about being poly with Halsin she says she wants to climb Mount Halsin too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shadowheart is one of the few romance partners that doesn't break up with the player for loving Mizora, although her reasons for polyamory are more sad than fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This might be more of a general D&D question, but why is charisma the main stat for Sorcerers? Isn't the whole deal with them that their blood is magically infused or whatever and that the magical powers are literally coursing through their body? It feels like constitution would make much more sense as a main stat, since you're literally drawing on your body's internal energy to power your abilities