Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

never excited when i see a game that i mistake for hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Upsidads posted:

never excited when i see a game that i mistake for hearthstone

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yugi-oh Slay The Spire tho

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

no, that’s just how ‘Tinkerer posts (laudatory)

I meant the writeup for Primateria, not Tinkerer's post.

It does that thing where The Bullet Points are Capitalized and neatly summarized in sequence, also way Too Many Bullet Points as it scrolls off screen.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fez_machine posted:

Yugi-oh Slay The Spire tho

Do they have destiny draws?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
It looks like a hearthstone clone

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Looking at that Primateria game and I agree it looks very ai generated. It doesn't really seem to have anything to do with yugioh besides a bunch of yugioh adjacent buzzwords like "battle phase" and "fusion summon". It looks like a knockoff of that hearthstone roguelike mode that someone gave a thin coat of yugioh paint to cash in on the popularity of master duel

I can't really see how this game would do "yugioh but slay the spire" better than Inscryption either way but i guess I'm willing to be proven wrong

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It will do it better by allowing me to summon Pot of Greed to draw three additional cards from my deck!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Destiny draws made the yu gi oh games so good. Really felt like you could cheat like the MC in the shows.

Any good roguelikes that have cheat mechanics? Not even sure what that looks like for trad. Forced crits? Getting to go back in time a few turns?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

Any good roguelikes that have cheat mechanics? Not even sure what that looks like for trad. Forced crits? Getting to go back in time a few turns?

Caves of Qud allows you to see into the future using Sphynx Salt injectors.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

leper khan posted:

Rogue Lords is the most extreme example I've seen. You play as Literally The Devil and a good chunk of the gameplay is just manipulating the UI when convenient. Swap buffs/debuffs around from unit to unit, force attack intents away from your squishy characters, manually set HP values of your units or the enemy, etc. It somehow manages to remain balanced, due to the way the game mechanics are implemented and because your "cheat mana bar" doubles as your health bar.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Caves of Qud allows you to see into the future using Sphynx Salt injectors.

Melange is also rad

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Magitek posted:

Rogue Lords is the most extreme example I've seen. You play as Literally The Devil and a good chunk of the gameplay is just manipulating the UI when convenient. Swap buffs/debuffs around from unit to unit, force attack intents away from your squishy characters, manually set HP values of your units or the enemy, etc. It somehow manages to remain balanced, due to the way the game mechanics are implemented and because your "cheat mana bar" doubles as your health bar.

Not close enough to Berlin for me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Took me awhile after knocking off the first few wins but I finally beat Cycle 3 in PoA:

This particular combo was not nearly as strong as I'd hoped, and I had to turn on fast mode just so turns wouldn't take 20+ seconds to process. Very very difficult to kill though, but still by the end with 40+ strength and the Flame Knight multiplier I was two-shotting bosses with prayers.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ranged combat is pretty good in PoA

i need to try to beat higher cycles now that pretas have been pulled back out of them

e: robe of the wind really helped, allowing me to pump willpower early by covering the speed buffs needed for a build like this

e2:

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 6, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

When's Rift wizard 2 out damnit!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

When did they add so many alternate classes and stuff to Warriors of the Nile 2 :psyduck:

Game rules

Also the new 4th area does not gently caress around, especially the last boss (who has an even laster, finaler form)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I am extremely ready for new shiren. Just needed to say it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

unattended spaghetti posted:

I am extremely ready for new shiren. Just needed to say it.

Genuinely my most anticipated game in 2024.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

When's Rift wizard 2 out damnit!

Orv
May 4, 2011

This got me off my rear end to stop sulking about all my big brain synergies not coming together and just apply sword to face to get through cycle 2.

Basically faced no threats at any point, not that I could tell, the only way to tell a sprite was a boss or a tower guardian was that it produced flame.jpeg for slightly longer. Past the first boss is interesting as a melee build because I feel like the generic star levels are almost always little tight corridor mazes that completely negate the sudden profusion of the scarier demons.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orv posted:

I feel like the generic star levels are almost always little tight corridor mazes that completely negate the sudden profusion of the scarier demons.

mostly but some of them are a giant open square that you get dropped in the middle of

Orv
May 4, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

mostly but some of them are a giant open square that you get dropped in the middle of

Glad I've so far missed those then but good to know.

I'm trying to make a stand still random teleport thing work but as you might expect it's a little luck dependent that you don't stand next to something that simply erases you between jumps.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you can kill an early tower guardian as eris you're basically set because your base damage starts multiplying incredibly fast

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Card unto Deck Hustlers in spirit and heart can now revel in the biggest v0.18 demo update yet for Dungeons & Degenerate Gamblers

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2400510/announcements/detail/3870345512629878159 Very partial, semi-arbitrarily gist changelog as the full thing is indeed Large:

quote:

Happy New Year!

At long last, I’ve finally finished working on the v0.18 update to the demo. This is by far the biggest update I’ve ever worked on for Dungeons & Degenerate Gamblers and I am so excited to see you all enjoy it!

Without further ado, here are the change notes:

Advantage:
- adds a new resource: Advantage
- Advantage is required to play cards from your hand or to enact ‘on click’ effects
- Advantage is earned and spent during encounters, and resets to 0 at the end of each encounter

Unique Chips:
- After the Bartender encounter you will choose between one of two random Unique Chips. The Unique Chip chosen determines the way that you will earn Advantage for the current run:
- Bargaining Chip
On click: lose 10 chips and gain 1 Advantage.
- Dealer Chip
On stand: if you have a score of at least 17, gain 1 Advantage.
- Chipotle Pepper
On click: take 4 damage and gain 1 Advantage.
- Chip On Your Shoulder
On hit: if you already have a score of at least 12, gain 1 Advantage.
- Blue Chip
Start each encounter with 1 Advantage. On winning a round: gain 1 Advantage.
- Big Blind Chip
When you play a card that has a value of at least 11, gain 1 Advantage.

Encounter and Event randomisation:
- After each event/encounter you now choose your next encounter/event between two randomly selected encounters/events
- Shows the history of the current floor so you can see quickly how far through the floor you are
- Spreads the lore/story across the floor rather than having it all on a big wall of text at the start of each floor

New Encounters and Events:
Tavern:
- Event: Counterfeiter
Pay chips to increase or decrease the value of standard, non-face cards
- Encounter: Knight of Cardonia
- Encounter: Bard

Basement:
- Event: Crypto Bro
Buy a Chipcoin, and attempt to sell it for a profit
- Encounter: Witch

Lounge:
- Event: Coin Flip
Choose a card to wager, then flip a coin to see if you get to keep it or not
- Encounter: Wizard

Shops:
- Shop: Four Card
this shop has only four cards to choose from, but they are all special cards, and are priced appropriately.
- Shop: Slot Machine
this shop has only three cards, and you have to buy all three at once, or none at all. But you can also spin to reroll and get three different cards...

New cards:
- Cardiovascular Exercise:
On play: take 2 damage, gain 5 shield.
- Lockpicking Card:
On click: Unlock every card in play.
- Credit Card Knife:
On click: Lose 5 chips. Deal 5 damage. Increase the chip cost of this card by 5 for the rest of this encounter.
- Cardecu:
On play: gain 25 chips.
- Carduus Acanthoides
While in play: on taking 2 or more damage, deal 1 damage.
- Transit Card
On click: choose a card from your draw pile to put into your opponent’s draw pile, then discard this card.

ID Card Improvements:
- total rework of the ID Card to improve clarity on gaining/losing health, shield, and chips, and to make room for Advantage
- animations for gaining/losing health/shield/chips/Advantage
- health, shield, chips, and Advantage are now hoverable to help explain how they work
- ID Card now gives better visual feedback on taking damage to shields
- changes hp and shield change labels to be created as needed so that when multiple instances of damage land at the same time multiple labels can be created

Peeking:
- reworks the way that peeking while making a choice (the eye icon button) works
— you can now hover cards in play to see what their effects are while peeking
— you can now check what is in your draw pile, discard pile, or deck while peeking
— this also fixes a bug where the game could lock up after clicking the peek button
- moves the back/peek button when making choices to be closer to the choices

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Card unto Deck Hustlers in spirit and heart can now revel in the biggest v0.18 demo update yet for Dungeons & Degenerate Gamblers

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2400510/announcements/detail/3870345512629878159 Very partial, semi-arbitrarily gist changelog as the full thing is indeed Large:

I've missed this one so far! Looks fascinating.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Caverns of Xaskazien II with a modest v1.31.43 update:

https://virtua-sinner.itch.io/caverns-of-xaskazien-ii/devlog/662025/cox-2-ver-13143-released

quote:

This update isn't on the scale that the last few have been, but there's still a decent chunk of new content, a few quality of life improvements and all important bug fixes. As always, bears repeating: previous saved games won't work after the update. Finish your current game first! Also, if you haven't grabbed other patches previously, do that first, because you either need to download the full game anew or every patch you've missed!

Here's what you can expect this time around:

Major Improvements:

- 14 New Spells: X-ray Vision, Phantom Treasure, Grave Protection (monsters can cast, too), Wall of Fog, Darkness, Epicentre, Conjure Potion, Conjure Food, Whirlwind (monsters can cast, too), Lock Door, Spirit Guardian, Disintegration (monsters can cast, too), Shrink, Create Undead.

- 2 New Map Tiles: Message in a Bottle, Anti-Magic Aura.

- 1 New Potion: Potion of Diminution.

- 2 New Mundane Items: Jury Rigged Alarm, Lavender.

- Major Quality of Life Improvement: The game will no longer allow any form of armour to be damaged in combat if that armour wasn’t necessary to lower the odds of an enemy hitting you to 10% or less. When determining which armours get you to this point, it checks all armour you’re wearing in a random order, to make sure no specific armour type is consistently the one spared or the one to get degraded. What this means is it’s no longer optimal strategy to remove overkill armour pieces before combat - most of us didn’t do this anyway, but we were all playing sub-optimally. Now you can and should just wear your best armour proudly at all times (unless facing a Rust Monster, or something...)

Minor Improvements:

- Auto-walk will no longer trace a path through known Mystery Doors.

- Lowered cost of Jug of Infinite Potions from 100 Gold Pieces to 50 Gold Pieces, to more accurately reflect its usefulness.

- Baloraasin’s Curse trap has been toned down - instead of destroying a number of items in your Inventory between 0 and the total you possess, it will now destroy a number between 0 and half the total you possess. This should still keep it a devastating, even potentially game-ending trap, but at least be twice as merciful as it was before.

- Wandering Monsters and NPCs will no longer be dumb enough to approach Steam Vents where they may get scalded.

- When calculating damage reductions due to elemental resistances, damage should round off to the nearest whole number more accurately than before.

- Illusory Walls will now query as if they were regular walls until the first time you enter their square. At that point you’ll be played the “wear off” sound effect, and if your Text Prompts are set to Basic, you’ll then be given a text output explaining the situation. After Illusory Walls have been entered, and revealed to be Illusory, on the mini-map they’ll display with an “I” atop and will query as Illusory Walls. Having your map erased will revert their status to undetected. Before detected by entering, you will not be able to auto-walk through to the other side of Illusory Walls. They’ll still flicker as normal either way, to give a clue as to their nature.

- Befouled Potions prior to now could only look like select potion types - now they can resemble any potion in the game.

- All Befouled Potions found on a given map used to look like the same potion as each other - now each can resemble different potions.

- Echinacea, Flax Seed, Prim Rose, Gingko and Wolfsbane have all been buffed to each cure 4 separate diseases instead of just 1. This was done to make the items more useful, as well as to make sure herbs exist that can cure the newer diseases.

- If you lose the game because you turn into a werebeast of some sort, the game will no longer display your dead body, but will instead display you as a living version of whatever werebeast you turned into.

- The manual has been updated to include pertinent new information that arose from this release.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I've missed this one so far! Looks fascinating.

There's a demo on steam which I played a little bit of last night, it's pretty fun. It doesn't have the same flare and polish as Balatro, but I like How much control it offers despite how small the possible action space is in blackjack proper. I think it's clever how the damage dealt is based on the difference between totals, meaning that even if you don't think you'll win the hand, you might want to hit just in case it reduces damage. Of course if you bust you take all of it, but surely this is a crowd that appreciates risk and reward.

The special cards can make instances go on longer than you would think, What with negative cards or discards, stuff like that. There's depth here that shows me the blackjack gameplay is more than a gimmick

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Been playing a bit of Mortal Sin and it's pretty fun. Gets hectic and quite hard to visually parse when there are a bunch of enemies, effects, projectiles etc later on.

Despite unlocking a bunch of classes I always go back to playing the monk because punching heads and limbs off just feels so right.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chas McGill posted:

Been playing a bit of Mortal Sin and it's pretty fun. Gets hectic and quite hard to visually parse when there are a bunch of enemies, effects, projectiles etc later on.

Despite unlocking a bunch of classes I always go back to playing the monk because punching heads and limbs off just feels so right.
does said monk get a whup-rear end stick or similar, or is it pretty much just fisticuffs

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ciaphas posted:

does said monk get a whup-rear end stick or similar, or is it pretty much just fisticuffs
The monk is all about punching unless there's a sweet bo staff I've yet to unlock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanzfZl5V7o

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Orv posted:

Glad I've so far missed those then but good to know.

I'm trying to make a stand still random teleport thing work but as you might expect it's a little luck dependent that you don't stand next to something that simply erases you between jumps.

took me a few tries but heres what worked for me

early game is pretty rough because you have little healing or defence so i think going for the poise stuff early on is vital so you dont die horribly. getting a crow mask is pretty fun as you can imagine, master teleport pretty much negates the downside and late game you just press space bar and watch as the entire level dies

really love the variety of builds in this game btw, you can pretty much just look at something that seems cool and go for it. first win was a summoner, second was this cool astral teleporting psychic warrior, third win was a priest of pain and suffering that just spread awful poo poo everwhere

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 8, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I am happy to report I have found a busted combo in Tiny Rogues. Get it while it's not-nerfed!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished a D12 run in Astral Ascent, may go for the D15+ achievement and take a break

I think it lands somewhere between Risk of Rain and Dead Cells in terms of being a busted build roguelite, sometimes you put something really degenerate together, other times you have to rely on your own skills to survive more heavily

Definitely looking forward to Oblivion Override and Blazblue hitting 1.0 this month, it's a real good time for action roguelites, there's so many good ones

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah AA is real good, can't wait to see what the 5th character plays like later this year. How's BlazBlue in terms of variety?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:toot:

Azran posted:

Yeah AA is real good, can't wait to see what the 5th character plays like later this year. How's BlazBlue in terms of variety?

Good, almost to a fault - the character variety and ability to combine them and then the builds you can get up and running are pretty nuts.

Two issues being the translation is a little hinky (and the story/setting is nonsense, but whatever), which makes parsing how exactly the various build pieces come together a bit challenging.

The other is that it's just straight up a pretty active spammy game, which some people may not like. If that kind of thing is your jam though you're likely going to enjoy it, no need to be a Blazblue fan. Weirdly it reminds me a little of Blade Assault, which is a much jankier B tier action roguelite, but a fun one - maybe the setting I guess.

Unrelated, funny to me that AA, BB, and OO are all alliterative 2d action roguelite busted build games :v:

I should probably do some kind of trip report on all the action roguelites I've been playing lately, Skul, Warm Snow, Roboquest, Mortal Sin, and others have all been on the list, I've been bouncing between big AAA longer form games and then roguelites and survivors clones as palette cleansers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
16 cinder runs seem kind of obnoxious, not gonna lie

this is one of the things that bothers me about these sorts of "pick from a lot of difficulty modifier" systems, if you wanna clear it at a high value you inevitably have to turn some annoying stuff. ("but it's optional!" well, of course, but I want to clear games at high difficulty levels.)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Skul the hero slayer has the worst metaprogression I have ever seen. Getting the ability to sell items isnt just a metaprogression unlock, it is the final metaprpgression unlock. The game is very well done otherwise. And I guess it used to be worse, at one point iframes on dash were a metaprogression unlock. I dont understand how you do a good job with the game and then make these decisions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Skul's metaprogression absolutely feels like it was crowbarred into the game because games in the rogue-adjacent genres are now expected to have metaprogression, rather than because it was fully thought out as an inclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kanos posted:

Skul's metaprogression absolutely feels like it was crowbarred into the game because games in the rogue-adjacent genres are now expected to have metaprogression, rather than because it was fully thought out as an inclusion.

there's also this bizarre mentality i've seen in a lot of different places from both developers and players where they will say things like "well if i'm not unlocking content, what is the point of playing?", seemingly unaware of the idea that you would play a game because it is fun