Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Since EVs are so efficient, and front plates put a significant hit on range, they should be allowed to have a sticker tag instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Failson posted:

My used Bolt also didn't have a front plate frame, despite being in a front-plate-state all it's life.

I ended up buying a Cravenspeed Platypus, it mounts to the tow hook socket.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/1A89E45C-1898-4C5A-B25E-69CD6AD13B79?ingress=0&visitId=2d497a88-a8ca-43e1-b611-4a9f9b74f8e8

Bit of a rant, but I see tons of cars lately (and Tesla's especially) without front plates in Washington state. As far as I can tell, front plates are still required for all cars.

Ironically I'm in a province that doesn't require a front plate and they gave us a bracket. At least it was just in the trunk and not already attached

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Failson posted:

Bit of a rant, but I see tons of cars lately (and Tesla's especially) without front plates in Washington state. As far as I can tell, front plates are still required for all cars.

Despite being headquartered in a front-plate required state, Tesla does not seem to want to provide an attachment point. You can certainly buy aftermarket frames, and theoretically Tesla should provide you with one upon request, but almost no Tesla owner ever does it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The 2018, 2019, and 2023 Tesla models I got all came with stick-on front plate brackets. I don’t live in a state that requires them.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Since EVs are so efficient, and front plates put a significant hit on range, they should be allowed to have a sticker tag instead.

In California you can get a sticker license plate.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

All my cars have come with front and back plate frames already installed as it's a great place for dealerships advertise.

edit: Also you're suppose to have front and back plates here so why would you sell a vehicle without them? That'd be dumb.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 8, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We’re kind of getting some pathetic snow today and I’m excited if it gets more of a base to try out some parking lot donuts. Interested to see if it keeps it in pure rwd emotor mode or kicks in the ICE fwd when spinning.

If I don’t want to slide around probably will put it into constant awd mode, which I guess is like polestar mode but probably different gearing/throttle response.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We got maybe 12 inches in the last week.

I don't like driving in the snow, so we haven't been doing that much. Our street is paved, but it's going to be covered in snow and ice for the next few months.

We did go cross country skiing on the golf course yesterday, though, which was a lot of fun.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I didn't understand what cross-country skiing was until I visited Grindelwald, Sweden in the winter. I saw people carrying groceries while skiing there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The dealership that I bought the Bolt EUV called me today to see how the car was and I mentioned the lack of a front plate bracket. She was flummoxed that an EV would even need a front plate (because all the Teslas she sees don't have them) but she's going to investigate and let me know.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why would the type of drivetrain impact whether a front plate was needed? :psyduck:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

Why would the type of drivetrain impact whether a front plate was needed? :psyduck:

I think it's just a fact that Tesla is synonymous with EV to a lot of people, even when they work with a competing brand.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FISHMANPET posted:

The dealership that I bought the Bolt EUV called me today to see how the car was and I mentioned the lack of a front plate bracket. She was flummoxed that an EV would even need a front plate (because all the Teslas she sees don't have them) but she's going to investigate and let me know.

Lmao that’s some quality dealership staff there

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Failson posted:

My used Bolt also didn't have a front plate frame, despite being in a front-plate-state all it's life.

I ended up buying a Cravenspeed Platypus, it mounts to the tow hook socket.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/1A89E45C-1898-4C5A-B25E-69CD6AD13B79?ingress=0&visitId=2d497a88-a8ca-43e1-b611-4a9f9b74f8e8

The bigger problem is that the cops have given up doing their jobs and not enforcing the plates at all and it's very common to see cars every day with zero plates whatsoever

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think it's just a fact that Tesla is synonymous with EV to a lot of people, even when they work with a competing brand.

“I see Teslas without front plates therefore EVs must not need front plates” is not a logical conclusion regardless of whether or not Tesla is synonymous with EVs to someone.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

“I see Teslas without front plates therefore EVs must not need front plates” is not a logical conclusion regardless of whether or not Tesla is synonymous with EVs to someone.

You're making a lot of assumptions here about the dealership employee.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The dealership employee should have correctly concluded that Tesla is the only EV brand allowed to break the law.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I'm in Washington State and have a 2019 Tesla Model 3. They did provide an adhesive bracket for the front plate, but I did have to install it myself, which was a bit of a pain. Not sure why it wasn't pre-installed considering the front plate requirement, but I guess that might be for owners who want to risk it? seems weird

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is the same company that made the unsightly rear view mirrors removable on the cybertrunk

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There is an iX parked at my work that has a front license plate sticker on the front side bumper and no way that is legal in this jurisdiction (BC), lol

It looks just like the regular license plate just in giant sticker form.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I took delivery 30 minutes from the Tesla factory in Fremont, no plate holder preinstalled.

I believe the “official” explanation is that the factory produces cars agnostic to their ultimate delivery state, so they do not preinstall front plate holders. Obviously that could be solved by hiring like one guy to just install plate holders to cars once allocated to states that require them, so the real reason is probably that Tesla doesn’t actually want them installed for aerodynamic/aesthetic reasons.

In practice, what this means is that a lot of owners in states that do require them take a “wait until it’s a problem” approach to installing them, since I think it’s pretty commonly a fix-it ticket.

I installed mine when I got my plate. It was fine.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm glad they don't preinstall front plates as the MYP I bought came from Missouri and here in Florida there is no such requirement lol

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Texas is a two plate state, but its not really enforced here (north Texas) either. At least 10% of the cars I see on the road don't have a front plate. I've had my car 8 years now and its never had a front plate.

Its dumb, and most cars today are designed with no good place to mount a plate anyway. I'd be fine with a sticker plate on the front, but I'm not drilling holes in my bumper. Originally I even bought a custom stick-on mount with a removable bracket, but after a couple years of being lazy with no consequences I never bothered to actually put the plate on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bird with big dick posted:

USS typically have a max range of like 4 meters so they’re not used for collision unless it’s to make sure you’re at max braking for like the last tenth of a second.

In most cars they're used for very low speed collision avoidance, especially in reverse.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

There's a decent amount of people who prefer to wrap/coat their new cars so it's ok imo to hand the adhesive plate holder over separately on delivery.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We don't use front plates in New Mexico, but a friend in California went on this weeks long hunt for a front plate mount that didn't require drilling holes. Seeing how the holes were drilled in Jr's Bolt, I feel like it's probably better to let the buyer do the destructive modification to the front bumper, because the Bolt was a horror show.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Update: the dealer has the front bracket in stock (maybe GM sent it to them along with the car at auction and they just didn't put two and two together) and they're going to mail it to me, because they're an hour away from me and I'm perfectly happy to put it on myself.

Something else I found amusing is that when I test drove the car, it had a dealer label over the rear plate (not an actual dealer plate, the salesperson carried that with her in the test drive, just a dealership logo) and under that was the original Ohio plate. Anyway this is all so much fun.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm definitely going to be eyeing up the EV9 GT when it comes out next year. I want something that tows and V2L, and the EV9 looks to be perfect at that. Why did Kia come up with a name structure for their trim such as GT-Line and GT? It makes searching for them very annoying.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Finally got a L2 charger installed last week and it's really great, even though we're only running at 24A because we didn't want to replace the existing 30A line/install a sub-panel (yet).

Before this we'd only been using the L1 charger that came with our Ioniq, which worked fine for us given our use case was primarily shorter trips.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

24A is still really good! Nice job

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pocket pool posted:

Finally got a L2 charger installed last week and it's really great, even though we're only running at 24A because we didn't want to replace the existing 30A line/install a sub-panel (yet).

Before this we'd only been using the L1 charger that came with our Ioniq, which worked fine for us given our use case was primarily shorter trips.

Please keep us updated on this situation!

My guess is that your 5.7kW EVSE is going to be enough that you never bother upgrading the circuit. That would be a nice thing to be able to tell the EV-curious who post ITT in the future.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I took delivery 30 minutes from the Tesla factory in Fremont, no plate holder preinstalled.

I believe the “official” explanation is that the factory produces cars agnostic to their ultimate delivery state, so they do not preinstall front plate holders. Obviously that could be solved by hiring like one guy to just install plate holders to cars once allocated to states that require them, so the real reason is probably that Tesla doesn’t actually want them installed for aerodynamic/aesthetic reasons.

In practice, what this means is that a lot of owners in states that do require them take a “wait until it’s a problem” approach to installing them, since I think it’s pretty commonly a fix-it ticket.

I installed mine when I got my plate. It was fine.
Afaik front plate mounts are usually installed by the dealership. The factory doesn't do it because vehicles can move around after delivery to a dealership.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

The bigger problem is that the cops have given up doing their jobs and not enforcing the plates at all and it's very common to see cars every day with zero plates whatsoever

As far as I can tell, Washington has never cared about front plate enforcement, I got pulled over for speeding multiple times as a dirtbag teenager, and SPD and WSP didn't even bother to add the missing front plate to the tickets.

They need to stop doing that temp paper yeah bullshit though, half the time they're completely illegible behind the rear window's tint, other states have figured out how to issue plates same day.

My Bolt came with both plate holders installed, our ID.4 came with both plate holders haphazardly thrown in the rear seat, the rear one screws into OEM nuts on the back bumper, but the front one requires drilling, I went with a 3D printed version I got off Etsy that mounts up in the grill instead, and I'm happy with it.

pocket pool posted:

I've been limited to 24A for years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted more.

E:

cruft posted:

Please keep us updated on this situation!

My guess is that your 5.7kW EVSE is going to be enough that you never bother upgrading the circuit. That would be a nice thing to be able to tell the EV-curious who post ITT in the future.

Maybe I should post about this more? My EVSE is set to 24A, because I'm too lazy to put in a bigger circuit. Does fine, even with my fiancé having a 100 mile commute, even limiting charge time to 'super-off-peak" hours, it fully charges her car overnight, the ID.4 is a little less efficient than my Bolt, but it's still 15 MPH which is plenty.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm definitely going to be eyeing up the EV9 GT when it comes out next year. I want something that tows and V2L, and the EV9 looks to be perfect at that. Why did Kia come up with a name structure for their trim such as GT-Line and GT? It makes searching for them very annoying.

EV9 GT is going to beat the K900 as the most expensive Kia ever made I bet.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

EV9 GT is going to beat the K900 as the most expensive Kia ever made I bet.

Still going to be cheaper than a comparable German model.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

As far as I can tell, Washington has never cared about front plate enforcement, I got pulled over for speeding multiple times as a dirtbag teenager, and SPD and WSP didn't even bother to add the missing front plate to the tickets.

Try driving near Microsoft when the cops are looking to fill quotas :P

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I think in the Out of Spec look at the Cybertruck, there was no rear plate on yet, and when he put up the tonneau cover there was the temp paper in the back of the window. So new cybertrucks are just driving around with the temp tag completely obscured. :dumbbravo:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

borkencode posted:

I think in the Out of Spec look at the Cybertruck, there was no rear plate on yet, and when he put up the tonneau cover there was the temp paper in the back of the window. So new cybertrucks are just driving around with the temp tag completely obscured. :dumbbravo:

No different than half the cars in my town 🤷‍♀️

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Still going to be cheaper than a comparable German model.

No doubt about that! It’s just wild how fast Kia/hyundai have ramped in quality/price. Still very good value even still!

E: also there isn’t any 3 row EVs out yet apart from the EV9 so it really stands alone right now.

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilkhan posted:

Afaik front plate mounts are usually installed by the dealership. The factory doesn't do it because vehicles can move around after delivery to a dealership.

Vehicles are delivered to dealers without plate holders mounted on even in Europe, in locales where all vehicles must have a front plate.