Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Going by the number of people I go up against with FULL INKED decks with rare/super rare variants..yes. Yes there are.

Anyone playing since early on has more than enough time and earned currencies to make at least one or two decks that fit this criteria if they really went for it; the real thing to look for now are multiple cash bundle / store reward variants or brand new cards that are already inked/gold within the week of their release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Spider-Man gives Batman a run for his money when it comes to lame villains in his rogues' gallery.

and LEAPFROG!

And apparently, Leapfrog has no direct connection to Venture Bros' Brick Frog.

this guy was in the she-hulk show and i'm so glad he was

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I've only been playing this for less than 2 weeks, and I'm in the mid-50s rank wise at the moment, but I can't help but notice how narrow this game's "meta" seems to be. I run into the same discard/destroy, High Evolutionary, and movement decks endlessly to the point where I can predict what's dropping on a given turn and I'm usually right. I'm not even sure this is a complaint, and I've been into TCGs since I was 12 so I know that popular winning archetypes are going to be a large part of the field, it's just kind of weird. I'm still missing a lot of the key pieces for "meta" decks so I'm just trucking along with a Shaw Surfer deck the game auto-made for me that I tweaked a bit as I unlocked cards.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

They try to shake up the meta fairly regularly with card changes and balance tweaks, but there is almost always an old-standby that doesn't get adjusted during these and so continues to just thrive based on familiarity and overall strength (this is High Evolutionary especially right now). Destroy pretty much never goes away because it's familiar, pretty easy to pilot, and is favored by a lot of otherwise negative location variance.

The Secret They Don't Want You To Know is that as you point out, this makes guessing a given play that much easier when you recognize the meta decks that never go away and also gives extra strength to technically strong but off-meta decks that make you less predictable. But you've gotta know your own deck to pull that off if you want to farm the surprise-cubes since you don't want to end up just getting bodied anyway despite your cheeky bullshit. That's how I got a lot of steady work out of my old toxic deck before all the changes they've made to affliction over the past few months, and people aren't expecting as many Darkhawk decks right now due to Blob being a hard counter and very popular, etc.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah I feel like there are definitely better decks I could be running with my current pool, but I have the general flow and strategy down with this Shaw Surfer deck and I've managed to pull off some surprising wins. The random locations that can wildly swing a game keeps this feeling fresh in what would otherwise get pretty stale if it was just the decks doing their thing in a vacuum.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The meta seems narrow to me too but it shifts around a lot, almost on a week by week basis. Things that shake up the meta include:

- New card releases (if they're good cards I mean)
- Spotlights containing key cards for some decks (like this week, with High Evolutionary + Nebula)
- Balance updates, which happen often enough that lots of people hate it

But also just constant churn as one deck becomes dominant and a group of counter strategies bubble up in response.

Despite all this, some archetypes are always "pretty good," especially Lockdown, Good Cards feat. Zabu, Bounce, Lockjaw, Destroy, and in the past Dracula Discard. Then you have sleeper decks like Patriot, Move, and C2/3/5 that kind of feed on the meta underbelly and occasionally put up surprisingly good numbers.

So I wouldn't worry about getting stuck in the same meta indefinitely. The balance team can make some egregious mistakes (Ms Marvel, Loki) but overall there's tons of room to explore.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Another thing I've been meaning to ask is, why are Albums so limited? There are so many variants out there but the only collecting bonus you get is for a narrow selection of Dan Hipp, Jim Lee X-Men, and Venomized Villains?

Also I guess Hellfire Gala of which I have 0 in the actual album despite hitting 52 on the season pass last month.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the albums are weird, they only added them at the end of November but immediately everyone was like "why don't they just give you bonuses for having any of a given subtheme". The assumption was to drive fomo but I'd generally think encouraging people to buy any and all variants would probably be better personally. It'd make the random ones you occasionally get from the pass/collection track feel better even if they're crap ones cause they'd be driving an album progression of some sort as well.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah the albums are weird, they only added them at the end of November but immediately everyone was like "why don't they just give you bonuses for having any of a given subtheme". The assumption was to drive fomo but I'd generally think encouraging people to buy any and all variants would probably be better personally. It'd make the random ones you occasionally get from the pass/collection track feel better even if they're crap ones cause they'd be driving an album progression of some sort as well.

Oh ok, if it's a brand new thing then hopefully they refine it over time. It was baffling execution for me as a new player when the variant pool is so enormous.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The said in the most recent roadmap that they plan to add multiple albums with linked rewards. So, like, there won't be just the Dan Hipp album, but Hipp albums 1, 2, and 3. And you'll get bonus rewards for completing stuff with the shared theme.

It's the Super Saiyan meme, but for FOMO.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bad Video Games posted:

Flash has the best Rogues Gallery, and it's not even close.

After Zooms/Reverse Flashes, Captain Cold, Grodd, Cap Boomerang, and Mirror Master, things go downhill pretty quickly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Red posted:

After Zooms/Reverse Flashes, Captain Cold, Grodd, Cap Boomerang, and Mirror Master, things go downhill pretty quickly.

Aww, come on, you can't forget the Trickster!

I mean, sure, he's kinda just lower-stakes Joker, but he's still played by Mark Hamill, and that puts him leagues ahead of most super villains.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Skippy McPants posted:

but he's still played by Mark Hamill, and that puts him leagues ahead of most super villains.
This is true for Cocknocker and Presto Chango, for that matter

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Aww, come on, you can't forget the Trickster!

I mean, sure, he's kinda just lower-stakes Joker, but he's still played by Mark Hamill, and that puts him leagues ahead of most super villains.

Flash definitely has a super-fun set of villains. I need to watch that one ep of Justice League where the Rogues plan to hit him at the museum opening.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Once in a while some new meta shows up but then too many people play that card and they kill it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Red posted:

Flash definitely has a super-fun set of villains. I need to watch that one ep of Justice League where the Rogues plan to hit him at the museum opening.

Got me again Flash!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.polygon.com/24029797/marvel-snap-second-dinner-100m-investment

Second Dinner rescued from the ByteDancepocalypse.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

$100m? These whales are out of control!

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Nikumatic posted:

Anyone playing since early on has more than enough time and earned currencies to make at least one or two decks that fit this criteria if they really went for it; the real thing to look for now are multiple cash bundle / store reward variants or brand new cards that are already inked/gold within the week of their release.

Yesterday I played against a deck that was entirely limited variants and half were Ultimate variants. Every time they played a card they did the starry-eyes emoji on it, it was pretty funny.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm a little curious, does this mean that NuVerse is losing Snap?

Thinking about that reminded me that I bought the Season Pass this month, and I didn't redeem the free crap from the NuVerse online shop, got me a new mystery variant, icon I'll likely never use and 250 credits :D

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NuVerse is shutting down

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Does anyone else get these opponents in Proving Grounds that play decks that are solely designed to win 3 lanes by turn 3 and then concede? Mostly full of one-drops. I get that you might have a quest to play one drops or win all three lanes but they never snap and they always play out all the games when they must have completed their quests by the second or third at the most. Why play out the rest?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/Combatsnap/status/1744382231580119344

I really think you could drop Sera in favor of Nico.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Red posted:

Very weird that Sera and Odin are both in that deck, they seem to have very.. different wincons

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

victorious posted:

Does anyone else get these opponents in Proving Grounds that play decks that are solely designed to win 3 lanes by turn 3 and then concede? Mostly full of one-drops. I get that you might have a quest to play one drops or win all three lanes but they never snap and they always play out all the games when they must have completed their quests by the second or third at the most. Why play out the rest?

I heard that's a way to grind out the season pass? I guess you get more experience winning all lanes?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I heard that's a way to grind out the season pass? I guess you get more experience winning all lanes?
You can also "grind out" the season pass by just doing the weekly missions though, them alone are more than enough XP to complete it with the dailies you'll complete incidentally along the way. Game XP is a drop in the bucket.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

If they nerf Season XP because of this lmfao

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Red posted:

This deck looks really fuckin dumb, to me

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I don't see that deck taking on Black Knight slamming down 40 points per turn or Blob Taskmaster casually tossing out 60 points in 2 lanes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

This deck looks really fuckin dumb, to me

I've played against decks like this a ton, so it's not anything unique.

I had assumed SA would include the parent post, which had an Odin gif and implied this deck is fun or whatever, but I can't see how this is a better build than the usual deal that makes use of Wong/Mystique/Surfer/Odin.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CapnAndy posted:

You can also "grind out" the season pass by just doing the weekly missions though, them alone are more than enough XP to complete it with the dailies you'll complete incidentally along the way. Game XP is a drop in the bucket.

one of those two things you have to be at your computer for

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sera should always include some level of control or what's the point. It won't have the stats to compete with other decks running tall

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Sera should always include some level of control or what's the point. It won't have the stats to compete with other decks running tall

Sera Surfer is a pretty solid deck, being able to play 3 3 cost cards on turn 6 absolutely wins games. I’m assuming in this deck it’s an either/or for Sera or Odin which isn’t a bad plan given how easy it is to get screwed on draws

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Opopanax posted:

Sera Surfer is a pretty solid deck, being able to play 3 3 cost cards on turn 6 absolutely wins games. I’m assuming in this deck it’s an either/or for Sera or Odin which isn’t a bad plan given how easy it is to get screwed on draws

There's a whole bunch of winning lines in that deck, but a bunch of bad draws, too. It looks perfect for Conquest, but it probably gets wrecked on ladder.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
that deck's fine as far as surfer decks go but surfer decks kinda suck right now

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

wyoak posted:

that deck's fine as far as surfer decks go but surfer decks kinda suck right now

Shaw was a good attempt for Surfer decks to keep up with the game's power creep but I don't think it's been enough

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just think okoye is useless half the time and not even guaranteed to be that game changing even if you can use it on time.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Agreed. Okoye is kind of a trap card and Chavez is just plain better in that spot.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Okoye & Domino are bot identifiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Okoye & Domino are bot identifiers