Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Biggest get biggest share of ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Smoke bombs should extinguish fire and return Grendyl to life.

Grendyls dead?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kly posted:

Grendyls dead?

As soon as you get on the Mourningstar they wheeled out a headless corpse and the first thing the corpse says is "I am Grendyl". Seems pretty open and shut to me.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I like the Rumbler. But there's a certain kind of Ogryn who never switches to melee and instead eats all the ammo and obscures everything behind big black clouds of smoke and knocks things over when you're trying to kill them.

There are plenty of good rumbler players, to be sure, but the bad ones are so bizarrely wasteful of ammo.

I keep getting on pubbie teams where the rumbler ogryn starts shooting while we're still in the initial landing zone, nonstop, so they're already amber on ammo by the time we see our first enemy.

It's just... weird. Why would anyone do that? I don't see zealots or vets magdumping into random walls in the starting zone. Or ogryn with other weapons, for that matter.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Reiley posted:

As soon as you get on the Mourningstar they wheeled out a headless corpse and the first thing the corpse says is "I am Grendyl". Seems pretty open and shut to me.

He's just using a Servitor as a speaker phone, that's not actually him

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Hey man what's your problem with Rumbler, the objectively best weapon?

https://i.imgur.com/oSN7ObX.mp4

Rumbler is for the slapstick, Kickback is for the satisfaction of goo-ifying entire hordes
https://i.imgur.com/qulKuuy.mp4

Really wanted to try some other weapons lately but everytime I engage with the crafting system to try and get a specific set of blessings it just drains the will out of me. Nothing like spending half an hour buying greys, filtering the few with good roll, and then the few of those that come with blessings you can work with after upgrading them.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I like the Rumbler. But there's a certain kind of Ogryn who never switches to melee and instead eats all the ammo and obscures everything behind big black clouds of smoke and knocks things over when you're trying to kill them.
I like it as well though mainly as a sidearm for a melee-oriented build, but yeah it doesn't help that it's bar none the least efficient gun in the game ammo-wise. Haven't seen that many others use it in auric damnations though.

Fishstick posted:

Really wanted to try some other weapons lately but everytime I engage with the crafting system to try and get a specific set of blessings it just drains the will out of me. Nothing like spending half an hour buying greys, filtering the few with good roll, and then the few of those that come with blessings you can work with after upgrading them.
I've been using the Buy Until Rating mod for this, since it also auto-sells anything below a (configurable) rating. Unfortunately I'm now broke as gently caress while still having a whole bunch of plasteel left :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Why do that? if you're blessing fishing specifically it's best to upgrade greys between 300-310 as that carries the cheapest cost of plasteel. Sure you're only saving 10% or so plasteel compared to a higher rating upgrade but that adds up when you're upgrading a shitload of greys to try and get that one blessing you don't have.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
My strategy for making good weapons is to basically look for grey items with a good spread of stats above ~360, then upgrade it to blue to see if it has a workable blessing/perk combo. If it has at least one perfect blessing/perk then I'm willing to upgrade to purple though this is more of a gamble since you can only swap around two things. If that doesn't work out then I just sell it and try again.

Saves a lot of plasteel but yeah it's rather docket-intensive.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Rumbler is for the slapstick, Kickback is for the satisfaction of goo-ifying entire hordes
https://i.imgur.com/qulKuuy.mp4

I got a pretty good Kickback when the Karnak mission came out so I started switching between that and a really good Gorgunum stubber I’ve had for a while. After using the stubber for so long it was a little weird using a single shot weapon but if the corridor is small enough that’s all you really need. Also worked a lot better on the Karnak mission so that was a bonus.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I still don't have a Ogryn ranged weapon that I absolutely love, but I've come around on the Rumbler. Which is funny because one of my favorite builds lately is running around with a Slab Shield and Rumbler like it's a month after release. It's not good at reaching out to medium/long ranges, but it shuts down pretty much anything close so well that I can hopefully rely on someone else to get that sniper (right? right???).

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I still don't have a Ogryn ranged weapon that I absolutely love, but I've come around on the Rumbler. Which is funny because one of my favorite builds lately is running around with a Slab Shield and Rumbler like it's a month after release. It's not good at reaching out to medium/long ranges, but it shuts down pretty much anything close so well that I can hopefully rely on someone else to get that sniper (right? right???).

rock is for ranged

rock good

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

rock is for ranged

rock good

Turns out rocks are hard to aim at Snipers during a ventilation purge!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

isndl posted:

Turns out rocks are hard to aim at Snipers during a ventilation purge!

throw rock better

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ugh, but I like being able to throw a nuke at my feet when things have gone bad

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ugh, but I like being able to throw a nuke at my feet when things have gone bad

I'm a big nuke fan myself. I think the rumbler is okay enough at ranged, sure the gorgonum is better, the kickback is probably even on ranged with the rumbler after it got nerfed (which was fine), the ripper guns are worse. Really the Ogryn shouldn't be the main anti-sniper duty member of the team, I wouldn't swap to rock just for that.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I know the rock is fun and all for the memes, but the nuke is unambiguously more useful. Anything that allows you to clear the board and reset the fight is going to be uniquely useful in a game like this, and Darktide is no exception.

Plus taking the rock locks you out of the Soften Them Up talent, which provides +15% damage against anything you hit to your entire team (including you). Massive opportunity cost there.

edit:

Washin Tong posted:

What about the Achlys? Maximum BULET per minute.

I find it way more fun and even effective than the Gorgonum, except at super long ranges (but that's not the Ogryn's forte anyway)

The Achlys is awesome after the slew of buffs a few patches back. You can pull it out, brace it, and accurately kill a special in much less time than it would take for the Gorgonum. It also reloads much more quickly so you aren't reliant on the Charmed Reload + Crit Blessings, and can instead go for options that offer more direct damage.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 8, 2024

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

What about the Achlys? Maximum BULET per minute.

I find it way more fun and even effective than the Gorgonum, except at super long ranges (but that's not the Ogryn's forte anyway).

Also, rock good. Nuke also good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

More than occasionally I've found myself killing priority targets with a rock better than a Veteran with a plasma gun.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i should try the nuke, sounds fun

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Kickback with full bore will at the very least knockdown and then kill with the second shot, snipers at extreme ranges. You can oneshot snipers from pretty respectable ranges honestly, Ive ended up being "anti special" and its more than serviceable in that role

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Fun rumbler tip: You only need to brace it and use the guide for super long range shots. If you're trying to hit a sniper through smoke or need to get a nade on target quickly, the graduated crosshair is functional.

Simply line up the crossmark that is the same width as your human-sized target's shoulders with your human-sized target's shoulders, and it'll bop them every time.

https://i.imgur.com/sZZH2ii.mp4

Same thing works for the grenadier gauntlet but that thing stinks.

One note, I'm using the Crosshairs Fix mod and it's possible you need that for this to work if you're not at default fov. I've never played without that mod.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Trying to mess around with flamer zealot more, I'm not sure what it does that you can't do with a braced autogun honestly.

Doesn't really have any damage, only reaches out to the lower levels of midrange, low ammo means the useful volume of fire is limited, and while the stun is sort of nice the setup time is so long you can't always use it against things you want to stun, and the braced autoguns can reach a surprisingly high amount of stagger themselves, stunlocking or knocking most enemies to the ground.

One the other hand XV eviscerator kicks incredible amounts of rear, very fun melee weapon that makes the class feel complete.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Flamer is mad trash imo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I tried the evis but its felt too awkward coming from my bushido blade heavy sword.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The new evis has some weird input buffering problems; I can’t say precisely what’s off, but it’s very easy to drop your combos. Hopefully they fix that because it kicks rear end otherwise.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Flamer is mad trash imo.

They nerfed the only things about it that were good. It still holds a choke against a swarm better than any other weapon, but the issue is that holding a choke is intrinsically easy and not something you need to expend your ranged slot on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mendrian posted:

They nerfed the only things about it that were good. It still holds a choke against a swarm better than any other weapon, but the issue is that holding a choke is intrinsically easy and not something you need to expend your ranged slot on.

tbf it was too good before. Now there are also choices instead of just charge for your ability so you might not get the armor downgrade either.

Crushers and maulers getting more stagger resistance probably needed to happen anyway, but Flamer in particular really made them a joke. Deserved nerf, even if it sucks a bit too much now. Fatshark could buff it back up a bit imo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Give my Ogryn a heavy flamer tyia

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Flamer was good for when you were leveling and didn’t understand how melee worked.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

megane posted:

The new evis has some weird input buffering problems; I can’t say precisely what’s off, but it’s very easy to drop your combos. Hopefully they fix that because it kicks rear end otherwise.

Good, it isn’t just me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Something on it definitely feels off. It's still really loving good, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Flamer is still great for those times when you have 50 ragers and maulers in a mixed horde all funneling towards you and you just want way for both you and your team to not deal with that, I tend to just run revolver these days though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Same thing works for the grenadier gauntlet but that thing stinks.

The Grenadier gauntlet does not have the boss rocking ability that the Rumbler has, but it's still a fine weapon for deleting pretty much everything else in the game. When you get good with the aiming mechanics it's a sniper rifle (with horrific bullet drop).

It's basically a Rumbler that you don't have to reload as much, but lose out on unyielding damage.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Legit Businessman posted:

The Grenadier gauntlet does not have the boss rocking ability that the Rumbler has, but it's still a fine weapon for deleting pretty much everything else in the game. When you get good with the aiming mechanics it's a sniper rifle (with horrific bullet drop).

It's basically a Rumbler that you don't have to reload as much, but lose out on unyielding damage.

Fair, it's probably fine I just don't like it.

I've built a pretty good one and I can get it to perform really well in the psykanium, but the second I bring it into the field trying to quickly swap to it and brace feels clunky as hell. Something about the netcode loves to lose half the instruction and I end up punching the guy in front of me or blocking with my melee instead of blasting the sniper. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I do best with my veteran with the melee talents, but I’d like to switch it up once in a while. But whenever I switch to ranged focus, the game punishes me by doing something like dumping me into a game with 3 other ranged veterans. All with the same talents :argh:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fishstick posted:

Kickback with full bore will at the very least knockdown and then kill with the second shot, snipers at extreme ranges. You can oneshot snipers from pretty respectable ranges honestly, Ive ended up being "anti special" and its more than serviceable in that role

https://i.imgur.com/iiUh1aF.mp4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

People usually stan Surgical for that. Also your fullbore isn't active in that clip lol.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Fair, it's probably fine I just don't like it.

I've built a pretty good one and I can get it to perform really well in the psykanium, but the second I bring it into the field trying to quickly swap to it and brace feels clunky as hell. Something about the netcode loves to lose half the instruction and I end up punching the guy in front of me or blocking with my melee instead of blasting the sniper. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I absolutely acknowledge that if there are connection issues (both the rumbler and) the grenade gauntlet get very sketchy very quickly.

If you're the one that's starting missions (and have defaulted to the closest server to you), then the GG is just that. Counter-sniping Snipers with the GG is a tremendous feeling, lemme tell you.

I also advocate the Crosshairs fix, and it's either that mod or the Crosshair Remap (https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/253) which fixes the default grenade launcher crosshairs (which look like a Y) into the more traditional T shape, making it easier to hit what you are aiming at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

People usually stan Surgical for that. Also your fullbore isn't active in that clip lol.

Oh yeah Surgical, whatever the crit over time on aim one is.