Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Nature's Miracle household here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

adnam posted:

What is everybody using for dog urine accidents? I used to use Urine Destroyer but that’s out of stock locally and on chewy.com/online.

Mister Max's Anti Icky Poo...I get it from amazon

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton’s verdict on snow: 12/10

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The weight of the snow has collapsed his ears bringing out a "full golden"

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Newton is such a great dog

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Culex posted:

Mister Max's Anti Icky Poo...I get it from amazon

This is what we use at work too.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

Awww. :) So nice to see him doing so well!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
We have also been working on leash walking. I got the lightest, dinkiest one I could on Amazon for chihuahuas and hamsters because the big one was a bit overwhelming for him. I wouldn’t walk him down the block with it but for getting used to it in the yard it doesn’t seem to shut him down as badly. Any tips for getting him to walk somewhere I am guiding him that he doesn’t want to would be appreciated. He humbly requests I get it the gently caress off:

We had two incidents yesterday where he refused to come in without being picked up and carried under duress. I think it was because he was having so much fun in the snow and I’d given him enough treats and food that he wasn’t hungry enough to want to come in for his meal, and we’re not at the point where coming in on cue is second nature yet. After that I made sure to let him wear himself out in the snow and reduced his treats and he’s been 2 for 2 for coming in under full cooperation. We will see how it continues.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

aaaaaa he looks so happy :allears:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We have also been working on leash walking. I got the lightest, dinkiest one I could on Amazon for chihuahuas and hamsters because the big one was a bit overwhelming for him. I wouldn’t walk him down the block with it but for getting used to it in the yard it doesn’t seem to shut him down as badly. Any tips for getting him to walk somewhere I am guiding him that he doesn’t want to would be appreciated. He humbly requests I get it the gently caress off:

We had two incidents yesterday where he refused to come in without being picked up and carried under duress. I think it was because he was having so much fun in the snow and I’d given him enough treats and food that he wasn’t hungry enough to want to come in for his meal, and we’re not at the point where coming in on cue is second nature yet. After that I made sure to let him wear himself out in the snow and reduced his treats and he’s been 2 for 2 for coming in under full cooperation. We will see how it continues.

I would have him just drag a leash around for a while so he gets used to the sensation and stop him from being so freaked out about leashes being on. If having it still upsets him in the house you can just have him drag it when he’s working on a special chew or something.

Something like the silky leash method might also help him learn what you want him to do when there’s pressure on the leash without conflict or stress.

https://youtu.be/lavrLV1rKu8?si=hLJz20_uJaQhsFT-

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Has anyone tried Librela shots for their senior arthritic dog? The news articles seem to praise it, but then there is also a community of Facebook posters claiming it maimed and killed their dogs.

Obviously Facebook sucks and I can't rely on that, but what is the consensus here?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

smoobles posted:

Has anyone tried Librela shots for their senior arthritic dog? The news articles seem to praise it, but then there is also a community of Facebook posters claiming it maimed and killed their dogs.

Obviously Facebook sucks and I can't rely on that, but what is the consensus here?
There are big Facebook groups like this for at least a dozen commonly used veterinary drugs. Most people are dumb.

It's working great for my 12 year old shepherd mix. Before Librela came out, he was on daily NSAIDs and really slowing down. We are about 3 months into Librela, off all other meds, and he has just recently started jumping onto my bed for the first time in over a year. If anything we have to make sure he doesn't overdo it outside because he wants to run so much. Also my senior cat is on Solensia, the kitty equivalent, and has had similar results.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Hi Thread!

This is Nika, a 5 month old Siberian Husky/American Bully/Pitbull rescue:

She was adopted at 4 months. I spend about 30 minutes a day on training with her and she is doing great! She has gone from only responding when I have food, to responding 50%+ when I'm empty handed. She stopped pulling on the leash during walks. All around a 11/10 dog.

She has started whining at the door she goes out when she has to go to the bathroom, which is awesome! However she sometimes whines really often. How is that a dog that crates through the night has to go outside every hour to pee? Today I didn't take her out when she was whining because she had been out less than an hour prior, and predictably she found her own solution in the hallway. Totally my fault.

Is there a method for training her to wait longer or is that something that just happens with time? I might be really over thinking this. This is my first dog.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Is she actually going pee when she goes out? That would be my guess- she’s doing out to patrol and not actually peeing. Could she have a UTI or something?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

cailleask posted:

Is she actually going pee when she goes out? That would be my guess- she’s doing out to patrol and not actually peeing. Could she have a UTI or something?

Yes, as near as I can tell every time she goes out she pees. It is just weird to me that when I can't be home all day she is in her crate just fine for 4 hours, but when I am home it is every hour is pee time (when she isn't in her crate because I can't watch her).

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is she drinking too much water? I cared for a friend’s pomsky who would drink until she had an accident if she was exercising a lot or it was warm. You had to limit her water intake (obviously without dehydrating her) during the summer. Same thing, no issues at night.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is an extremely good dog! It has been many many years since I handled a puppy myself so I don't have any advice but that's a good one keep that one

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Is she drinking too much water? I cared for a friend’s pomsky who would drink until she had an accident if she was exercising a lot or it was warm. You had to limit her water intake (obviously without dehydrating her) during the summer. Same thing, no issues at night.

I would guess this as well. When my dog was a pup she would get excited and run around all the time and then drink way too much water. She got better about it as she grew older.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Freja was the same as a pup. Really she should be holding it for a 4-5 hours easily.

It could just take some time for her to work out whatever it is, Freja grew out of it reasonably fast tbh but I'd say about the 5-6 month mark she was the same.

Sometimes having accidents if I didn't listen to her because I thought she was being dramatic.

Last night was the first night I've allowed her to sleep on the bed with me as the Mrs was at work and she went about 10 hours without needing the loo, though I'm not convinced she didn't have an accident somewhere as she peed less than I expected this morning.

I guess, as she's getting older, she's just getting better, same as anyone else really.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’ve been training Nova on buttons, mostly as an amusement. She had previously been bell-trained to go potty but rang it so much I grew to hate the bell so I pulled it!

She has 4 buttons and her use of them is a little haphazard and I’m usually not sure if she really gets that each one means something different.

This morning was chaos and apparently everyone forgot the let her out. She came into my office, pushed the potty button a few times, then stared at me. Once I got up she led me to the backyard door and did, indeed, have to go out! It’s the first time I’m really confident that she knew which button did a thing, and that that thing was what she needed.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How exactly do you button train? That sounds interesting.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

You basically start with a pair of buttons on a button mat (I have FluentPet which has much clearer audio). Then before you do something, you push the button. Nova likes her puzzle treat feeder, for example, so one button means ‘give me that thing’. Another button means ‘pets’ aka come and love me. And because she already knows ‘I do X to make mom take me outside’ we made that a button too.

It’s important not to use treats, but rather for the first button outcomes to be intrinsically rewarding. I also find it important that the mat can’t rotate, because position of the buttons on the mat seems to be as important as their symbol. It has taken us probably 6 months being consistent for her to understand that they are different meanings, but she grasped on that they had SOME meaning very fast.

So yeah, start with YOU pushing the button before Thing happens. Once or twice I took her paw and did the button in her behalf, and then she figured out she could just do it on her own.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Dunno if I have 6 months worth of patience! It's more me that's the issue here, not the dog.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah, that’s why I think of it more as a fun game than a must-do… some dogs may never pick it up, and some might really fast? Nova is pretty smart and figures things out pretty quickly in general, so it’s just one more thing on our list of mental stimulation activities. Really cool to see it working out in real life situations now though!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, it sounds really cool. I always love those videos when they pop up on socials. Freja is very smart for her breed, but she's stubborn and anything involving :effort: is a no for her. She's goony af

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I would have him just drag a leash around for a while so he gets used to the sensation and stop him from being so freaked out about leashes being on. If having it still upsets him in the house you can just have him drag it when he’s working on a special chew or something.

Something like the silky leash method might also help him learn what you want him to do when there’s pressure on the leash without conflict or stress.

https://youtu.be/lavrLV1rKu8?si=hLJz20_uJaQhsFT-

Thanks for this video. So I’ve gotten him to drag the leash around and he’s gotten to the point where he’s not shutting down with it on or trying to chew it off. He still will not follow me from a place he wants to be to a place he doesn’t want to be, but if we are in unfamiliar territory, it’s certainly not loose leash but he doesn’t pull or dig his heels in or anything.

Obviously since he doesn’t have recall yet I’ve been super paranoid walking him on leash and having something happen where the collar slips around his head or something so I got a harness. We went on a very short walk this morning and he did OK, he met another dog who was friendly and that made his day.

Then this evening I was taking him on another walk. He was doing better. I can walk about 800 feet on my street and go down another street that is pretty quiet. I got about halfway down this next street and the unthinkable happened, the loving clip on his leash somehow popped off the ring on the harness. He started trotting back the way we came, and of course wouldn’t stop and wait for me. He took off running and I broke into a full sprint. Luckily he ran all the way back home, he can’t get back into my yard since it’s all fenced but he could get into my neighbor’s yard, and got as close as he could to his favorite corner. Eventually he sat down and I could walk up and clip the leash back onto him and give him a treat, catch my breath from panic sprinting as fast as I could a half mile in boots and a winter coat, then pick him up and bring him into my yard and let him do his business while I waited for the taste of blood to leave my mouth and be less lightheaded.

I looked at the leash and I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s a garden variety Top Paw thing from PetSmart. The spring tension on the release feels a little light but I can’t get the D ring from the harness to pop through it in any way. Maybe it draped over him in just the right orientation to open the latch, I dunno. I’m going to double leash next time, needless to say, and maybe use a screw carabiner or something. gently caress that was a lovely experience.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It may not be prudent with him, but you can test it in the yard and house at home, but if you run away from him, playfully, will he chase you? Because generally the best advice is to run away from a dog rather than chase them, they're dumb like that.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

What kind of harness is it? I have a ruff wear harness that somehow manages to pop off leashes occasionally because of its weird shaped ring. It looks like Arcadia trail brand uses a similar ring so might cause the same problem.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

It may not be prudent with him, but you can test it in the yard and house at home, but if you run away from him, playfully, will he chase you? Because generally the best advice is to run away from a dog rather than chase them, they're dumb like that.

If he is in a good mood, he will chase me. It’s part of what my trainer is having us work on…the beginnings of the come command start with getting him to chase then reward. But if he’s nervous because he’s somewhere new or if there’s a scary noise in the yard he won’t chase.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What kind of harness is it? I have a ruff wear harness that somehow manages to pop off leashes occasionally because of its weird shaped ring. It looks like Arcadia trail brand uses a similar ring so might cause the same problem.

It’s also a top paw harness. Same company makes the leash and harness.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'd say your lead is the issue there, you want something a bit more sturdy.

Our previous leads had carabina clips, but we've just switched to what (our brand of choice) is called a combat clip, because this puppy is getting insanely strong.

https://www.bullybillows.com/collections/combat%C2%AE-clip-leads

I don't think there's any chance of this thing breaking or ever failing tbh as it's got 2 latches rather than just one, obviously you don't need something that strong for your little buddy, but I'd certainly look at a carabina to fasten the lead to the harness.

https://www.bullybillows.com/collections/ladder-lead

Incidentally, I love ladder leads. It's the first time I've ever used one and it's so comfortable and gives so much flexibility with length.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2024

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

I’ll order one of these, thanks for the recommendation. They look bomb proof and reasonably priced.

For now, I have two leashes on his harness and a third slacker one to his collar so it doesn’t pull in case the harness fails (I’m not taking any more chances). Normally the leashes aren’t this twisted up.

He’s doing great! He’s not walking loose leash but he’s not really pulling either. If I stop, he stops, and doesn’t try to keep going. He’s a bit too nervous to take treats on the walk so once he gets calm enough I can start clicking when he gets looser. I need to leave him with my parents for a few days while I travel for work and they don’t have a fenced in yard so getting him up to speed on the leash was mandatory, but seeing his manners now gives me a lot of confidence.

For a while, I would put the leash on and he would dig his heels in and not move at all to leave the house. He would sit in his bed and not move. Clicking when he looked where I was guiding him didn’t work; he was too locked up to take a treat. Sliding the bed towards the door would get him to give up and come with. Now he actually walks where I guide him with no duress or bed sliding. The end of every walk is at least fifteen minutes of freedom in the back yard, so now he knows that step one to Outside FunTimes is harness and leash, so he sits like a patient little angel while I adorn him with this contraption, and even sticks his head through the harness voluntarily. He figured out how to not walk around telephone polls or mailboxes really quickly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sounds like you're doing fine, don't get suckered into using one of those overly long/extensible leashes imo because they just confuse your dog as to how far away it's OK to be from you in a leash situation. Any amount of slack / no constant pulling is very good, for the time you've had to work with him.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I’m importing a new cattle dog puppy but I have to wait until he’s had his rabies vaccine to bring him to the US and the wait is absolutely killing me. My last puppy just sort of fell into my lap and there was only a week between agreeing to buy her and picking her up. My wallet appreciates the planning time but I feel like an 8 year old waiting for my very first puppy again.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey everyone. I have a 12 week old golden retriever puppy that I've had since eight weeks. I also have a 1 year old cat.

After a few weeks of slow introduction (separate rooms, swapping blankets, feeding across closed doors, feeding with both in sight, etc), the two of them seem to be getting along okay. Cat would initiate play from time to time by charging up at the pup and doing sideways hops, and pup would chase her around. This usually ends when the cat decides she's had enough and hops onto her cat tree where the dog can't reach. She also hisses and swats at the pup if the pup goes too far, which the pup has always respected (and after the initial back away I'd redirect the pup to someplace else).

Anyways, today, they did their usual running around thing and then flopped down on the cat's ripple rug. Cat chilled out and then pup started nipping her ears and licking her head. I was alarmed and separated them once I figured out what was going on, but the cat didn't seem to mind it. Like she was just laying there as opposed to hissing and batting and running away to her safe space. I was freaked out that maybe she was frozen in fear or something. Anyway even at 12 weeks the golden retriever dog is already bigger than the cat, so I was worried that this would develop into aggression. Any tips on how to deal with this? I did manage to get her to 'leave it'. Should I re-do the introduction process?

But I wanted to ask also, is this normal behavior? What really puzzled me was that the cat didn't even try to defend herself in any way.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 14, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that’s normal as hell, I wouldn’t leave them alone unsupervised just yet but licking and nibbling is regular friendly behaviour.

We usually get the opposite behaviour because one of our dogs is a little old man now, he just lies there while one of our cats chews on his ears and licks his face.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice everyone. It sounds like I need to monitor what Nika is drinking to make sure she isn't gulping down too much in one sitting.

Yesterday she walked over to the door we go through when she goes outside to pee, and just peed. After several days of sitting and announcing the need to go out and getting longer between requests to go out and being let out every time. I get the feeling that she hasn't quite figured it out yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My dog's doing something weird.

Background: 7 year old chihuahua mutt who showed up as a wee puppy when he tried to squeeze under our fence and got stuck. His only health problems are a gluten allergy and he got hit by a tuck once like five years, was just a bit scraped up and lost an eye

The weird thing: A couple months ago he started nibbling on my sleeve whenever I pet him. Nibbling is the only word for it, he just does it with his front teeth and they never get very far apart. He doesn't really even get the sleeve in his mouth, just nibbles at it. At first he just did it a bit. but very quickly it became the whole thing, when I'm petting him he's nibbling.

Is my dog dying?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is your dog getting enough sweater in his diet?
A lot of dry food only has t shirts.

If so, then he just sounds like his becoming progressively gooberfied. I recommend reminding him of his condition, and calling him a goober when symptoms arise

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
He might like the texture. My dog likes to lick plush textures and nibble on cushions. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Is your dog getting enough sweater in his diet?
A lot of dry food only has t shirts.

If so, then he just sounds like his becoming progressively gooberfied. I recommend reminding him of his condition, and calling him a goober when symptoms arise

I keep telling him it's weird and asking him why he's doing it, but he's too busy nibbling to notice. And we give him wet food because of his gluten allergy. Which I still feel silly typing out, gluten allergies in people aren't even real but apparently it's real in this dog

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He might like the texture. My dog likes to lick plush textures and nibble on cushions. :shrug:

He does occasionally lick the sheets or a chair cushion. But this nibbling thing is brand new, he's never nibbled anything like this before. I've never seen any dog nibble at anything like this