Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The free market wins out every time over our adversaries because it’s the most efficient and innovative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's not a problem simply contract the icbm modernization overhaul to spacex

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

poisonpill posted:

The free market wins out every time over our adversaries because it’s the most efficient and innovative

username post combo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the lost tech era of America is so drat funny

it really is our best chance at disarmament

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

it's not a problem simply contract the icbm modernization overhaul to spacex

Air power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines Mobility, Flexibility, and Initiative.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the lost tech era of America is so drat funny

it really is our best chance at disarmament

i love that 40k's imperium and 2nd-3rd succession war era battletech called this phenomenon, but instead of centuries it happens within living memory

gradenko_2000 posted:

Air power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines Mobility, Flexibility, and Initiative.

literal true fact: when i was in the usaf around the turn of the century they were really trying to adapt "total quality management" to running a military branch

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it's also true of the softwarer/hardware at the base layer of most banks/airlines/etc.

all that poo poo at the very bottom is one some ancient mainframe running COBOL and if it ever breaks no one is left alive that knows how to fix it

Yeah where I work the computer systems are over 50 years old, although the reason why nobody alive knows how to fix it is because the boss had them all executed so that none may reveal their secrets.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

i love that 40k's imperium and 2nd-3rd succession war era battletech called this phenomenon, but instead of centuries it happens within living memory

yeah but they trained people to go through all the rituals of maintainance etc.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

literal true fact: when i was in the usaf around the turn of the century they were really trying to adapt "total quality management" to running a military branch

In battletech it happened because of material attrition, like factories getting orbital striked and engineering facilities getting stepped on by giant robots

In real life it happened because the system was incapable of sustaining itself at all

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

What is the point of having a Deputy Secretary if the mandarins in the Secretary's office will just run things?

What if they made the Chief of Staff of the secretary some sort of assistant to him, so if in the event he was ill they could take over? They would already be closely working under the Secretary and so could be "deputized" to perform their role as their boss would have directed, even in the Secretary's absence...

If this is how they act when the SecDef get sick for a few days, how bad do you think the Joe is?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Broke: nuclear triad
Woke: nuclear dyad

It wouldn't surprise me if the submarine launched nukes were in a similarly bad situation.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

WrightOfWay posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the submarine launched nukes were in a similarly bad situation.

yeah when the biden presidency started, the status quo was laughing at the obvious farce that is the f35. then there was the disastrous evacuation of afghanistan, the nato stockpile depletion in ukraine, and now the usn ship shortage in the red sea. to think the nukes are in any better shape, especially after obama unleashed the 101st mckinsey division on them, seems increasingly like cope.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

are there any good books giving a historic overview of guerrilla warfare? I read the first few chapters of max boot's and, man, dude lives up to his name. you can tell he's an american spook because out of the 50 or so chapters only one is on vietnam and there are zero about native americans (though there is one on the kkk during reconstruction). I forget the author whose book I skimmed the preface of before looking at the boot book, but it was even worse

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

Subs are going to be the nuclear arm that remains working the longest because subs just kill people if they stop working so they're always prioritized for maintenance and overhauls, and the people working on subs know they will die if they don't maintain them properly which is a pretty good incentive to do that vs someone at a missile silo in the Dakotas who can get jacked to the gills on meth five days a week and nothing bad happens

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
didnt this very thread have a former nuclear sub service person in here explaining the subs are not in fact alright?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

fanfic insert posted:

didnt this very thread have a former nuclear sub service person in here explaining the subs are not in fact alright?

I'm sure they're all fine c:

My experience is from the seawolf class from more than 10 years ago. The 688 and Ohio classes have deeper experience pools to draw from, so they might be better off, but not by much I reckon based on current crew shortages.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It doesn't matter if the silos and subs don't actually work, for as long as plausibly some of them work, the deterrent is intact.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

by that logic none of them need to actually exist, so long as we have spreadsheets that say they do in fact exist. we can keep cutting checks to contractors for maintenance, obviously, but cut our manpower requirements down to zero. the perfect liberal solution

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fanfic insert posted:

they're not but if you look at the last couple years of the sub readiness report vs surface fleet readiness report, its going to be years more before we should expect to see subs degenerate to the level of the surface navy where the nuclear deterrent becomes non-credible because you can't believe that the missiles will actually launch vs silos and bombers where theyve been maintained by evangelical meth heads for the last couple decades and they totally work bro trust us

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

poisonpill posted:

by that logic none of them need to actually exist, so long as we have spreadsheets that say they do in fact exist. we can keep cutting checks to contractors for maintenance, obviously, but cut our manpower requirements down to zero. the perfect liberal solution

Who's gonna call a nuclear bluff?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

In Foundation the eventual collapse happens because of some sort of unclear institutional rot that gradually gets worse until the empire can no longer sustain itself. One of the (few) examples shown was the once silent magnetic trains now making noise as they flew along the tracks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

MAD Panopticon Submarine is my band name

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol at including the nuclear bombers as part of the triad still

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at including the nuclear bombers as part of the triad still

a bunch of u.s. nuke bombers are in overseas air bases. probably a second strike weapon i guess

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nothus posted:

If this is how they act when the SecDef get sick for a few days, how bad do you think the Joe is?

It's very funny that Kamala could probably make the case that Joe is incapacitated and become president but she's on too many benzos to stage a palace coup.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Kamala has been replaced by a hologram because she stopped showing up at the office.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hatebag posted:

a bunch of u.s. nuke bombers are in overseas air bases. probably a second strike weapon i guess

"in bases" being more literal these days https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/crashed-b-1b-bomber-carcass-visible-at-south-dakota-base

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Voice of Labor posted:

are there any good books giving a historic overview of guerrilla warfare?

The short answer is no, because more than most forms of warfare, it's culturally specific.

Guerrilla warfare is about people, what they believe, where they live, how they are organized. That means that studying the groups of people involved, like the Ashanti or Spanish Guerrillas in the Peninsular War is useful, but their methods of warfare, what worked to defeat them, or if and how they succeeded, depends on their geography.

By that I don't only mean, for example, in Malaya, the areas surrounding the rubber plantations where the MNLA operated from, but also that Chinese Malays were a landless subset of the population, which confined them to certain areas defined by their economic activity. A guerrilla group from that population would, naturally enough, be co-located. The same is true for the hill tribes and desert nomads in the French colonial experience, and as you alluded to, the very specific societies of the Great Plains Indians.

For the sake of comparison, the Cherokee and Iroquois, being Eastern Woodland Indians, did not wage war in a way at all recognizable to their later cousins on horseback. So, a general historical survey of guerrilla warfare would have to explain away why one group raided on horseback and the other with snowshoes, flattening the dynamic most closely related to the population itself, because, well, they both carried out raids.

I suppose a large enough historical survey could try to separate these sort of things, but if you just look at the books written for soldiers of the colonial powers, almost every group of people in Africa fought in remarkably different ways. Some were avid users of guns, some fought on horseback, some from ambushes, other preferred pitched battles etc. Yes they were all Africans, and they were engaged in asymmetrical conflicts with European powers, but there wasn't a sort of shared military experience between them.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol they ejected while landing and turned the bomber into a bomb

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
lol the Ukrainians claim that Abrams tanks they recieved were taken directly from storage without repairs and cant be sent into battle due to various mechanical failures

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Grilled Beef posted:

lol the Ukrainians claim that Abrams tanks they recieved were taken directly from storage without repairs and cant be sent into battle due to various mechanical failures
They’re Abrams, they aren’t supposed to work.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

It's really cool how the combined military might of about 50% of the world's GDP has just turned completely into smoke when faced with an actual near peer conflict.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Where did all that money go

Toud think you’d end up with some functional military equipment by accident after spending trillions of dollars over years. it seems harder to not build anything.

Can someone help me out here. why not just build a tank that works? why can the defense contractors not make a tank? didn’t congress require the army to keep those factories open?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

poisonpill posted:

I don't know if it's a subset or all of them, but the answer is https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#26a3d5ea3d78

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

poisonpill posted:

Toud think you’d end up with some functional military equipment by accident after spending trillions of dollars over years. it seems harder to not build anything.

Can someone help me out here. why not just build a tank that works? why can the defense contractors not make a tank? didn’t congress require the army to keep those factories open?

A lot of McMansions and luxury cars in NoVA and Texas

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

poisonpill posted:

My hunch is they have to keep building the biggest, most fancy looking, scifi looking weapon and these weapons don't necessarily work as good weapons.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nothus posted:

No, the US would never let people siphon off our military to fund personal dachas

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Retromancer posted:

It's really cool how the combined military might of about 50% of the world's GDP has just turned completely into smoke when faced with an actual near peer conflict.

poisonpill posted:

great question

Bel Shazar posted:

I don't know if it's a subset or all of them, but the answer is https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#26a3d5ea3d78

Nothus posted:

wrong answers though

if i write down "money" on a piece of paper and sell it to a guy for a dollar, and then a second guy buys a ten year an insurance contract with a third guy betting fifty dollars that the piece of paper i sold isnt worth anything, and then the third guy bundles the expected insurance contract income into a security and sells pieces of it to five hundred different additional guys for a dollar each in exchange for incomes shares that the second guy and many other second guys are paying the third guy for the next ten years, thats five hundred and fifty one dollars of gdp

it's not that all that gdp was misallocated somehow its that most of it is entirely fake bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
imputed tanks