Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I have no idea what a producer actually does...

From what I gather it can be pretty much anything from 'wants their name first in the credits' to 'let the team use their garage for an afternoon' to overseeing the entire project depending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

i recall something online about a rough draft of Wish where Asha was the princess and the wishing star was an actual starboy? The art looked like something from Tangled style.

And then we got Wish. It seriously looks like an AI movie.

found this in some discord but i don't have a source for anything

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Shai-Hulud posted:

top level producers do managing/budgeting/contracts, line producers handle a lot of paperwork and personnel, executive producers pay big bucks to get their name in a big font in the credits

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Clayface-knockoff being made of faeces is the least offensive part of Wanted. Not to wish harm on Mark Millar, but if he lost both hands in a freak ice-cream maker accident, the day would otherwise be bright.

What???

I have been vaguely following all this "Wanted" discussion. But all I remember from the film was a paint by numbers "office drone is really part of a super secret assassin club that Angelina Jolie is also a part of and Morgan Freeman is the boss of." movie.

I am a bandit for missing the points of films/books/songs etc. But where does eminem, rape. and a poo poo/clayface come in?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You must have watched a cut down "edited for TV" version.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The movie is only loosely based on the comic.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Seriously, how is a mosquito going to bite a mosasaur?

Besides 'Very carefully'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

The movie is only loosely based on the comic.

By which we mean "lifts a couple of scenes and characters but has an entirely different plot otherwise".

Millar loved the hell out of it anyway. It's a great shame that he's gone down the ComicsGate hole. The guy I met 15 years ago was really nice and very funny.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah, "your dad was supernaturally good at bullets and you can too" is the main thing. Comics, that was a superpower only they had, movie it's "curving bullets looks badass so it's an initiation requirement for all members to leave really confusing results for ballistics experts"

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Jan 8, 2024

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Shai-Hulud posted:

I thought they were the people who got the money together to make the movie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shai-Hulud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUsZ4w8Lzy4

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The whole fight sequence at the end of Dark City sucks rear end.
Also the opening narration, which was apparently mandated by the studio and is not in all cuts of the film. Luckily I missed it the first time I saw the movie, back when TV was on a schedule and you couldn't rewind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bk. posted:

The whole fight sequence at the end of Dark City sucks rear end.
Also the opening narration, which was apparently mandated by the studio and is not in all cuts of the film. Luckily I missed it the first time I saw the movie, back when TV was on a schedule and you couldn't rewind.

When I showed Dark City to friends for the first time I'd ask them to leave the room so I could skip the DVD past it. You can't even wind past with the sound off because it has helpful pictures. The director's cut omits it, thankfully, and is also more coherent. That's not an IIMM though, it's completely rational.

(I think you're wrong about the final fight as well, but that's a matter of taste.)

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Reacher S1E1
Nerdy black cop angrily tells Reacher to keep his wife's name out of his mouth.
Feels like a super lame reference to that time Chris Rock got slapped, but the episode actually came out about a month before that happened.

And the fight against the main antagonist at the end of Dark City objectively sucks, it's not just my opinion.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bk. posted:

Reacher S1E1
Feels like a super lame reference to that time Chris Rock got slapped, but the episode actually came out about a month before that happened.
I've heard that phrase used before Will Smith said it.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

I've heard that phrase used before Will Smith said it.

Maybe you should be more mindful of how you talk to and about other people's spouses then.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Bk. posted:

Reacher S1E1
Finlay owns and is right to tell him to gently caress off. Pardon my language.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bk. posted:

Maybe you should be more mindful of how you talk to and about other people's spouses then.

:lol:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

SLOSifl posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wish woulda been a lot better if it had starred Geno instead.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SLOSifl posted:

I liked Finlay, he was fun. The bit where Reacher is talking him through getting out of that motel room was pretty great.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This reminded me of the eighties with “We put the information into the computer and got these results” and it could be loving anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMZ2j9yK_NY&t=6s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Equalizer 3 has this part where Cop 1 is talking to Cop 2

Cop 1: It makes no sense. Why would they run their drugs through this place?
Cop 2: I guess we'll never know. We can't find out who the people running the operation are!
Cop 1: Wait, what if we hit the drug dealers, and questioned them to see who their superiors were?
Cop 2: You mean, work our way up from the street level dealers?
Cop 1: Yeah! It could work.
Cop 2: We could learn who they're working for. And then we question THEM and learn who THEY'RE working for.
Cop 1: Right!
Cop 2: By God, you're a genius!!

It's the dumbest conversation I've ever heard. The cop commends the other cop for coming up with, I think, standard procedure??

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jan 10, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

credburn posted:

Equalizer 3 has this part where Cop 1 is talking to Cop 2

Cop 1: It makes no sense. Why would they run their drugs through this place?
Cop 2: I guess we'll never know. We can't find out who the people running the operation are!
Cop 1: Wait, what if we hit the drug dealers, and questioned them to see who their superiors were?
Cop 2: You mean, work our way up from the street level dealers?
Cop 1: Yeah! It could work.
Cop 2: We could learn who they're working for. And then we question THEM and learn who THEY'RE working for.
Cop 1: Right!
Cop 2: By God, you're a genius!!

It's the dumbest conversation I've ever heard. The cop commends the other cop for coming up with, I think, standard procedure??

Given real life cops are apparently confused and angered by the concept of fast-forwarding through surveillance footage to figure out what point something got stolen, this seems extremely true to life.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

deoju posted:

Denzel Washington is going to star in a Hannibal movie. Hannibal was 25 when he attacked Rome, and Washington is almost 70.

Why not simply have Anthony Hopkins play the role of Hannibal?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Silence Of The Elephants

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
At this point I firmly believe that Sir Anthony will only take on projects that win him another Oscar and/or have giant robots and pew pew lasers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And why wouldn't he?

I do wonder if at this point actors are learning to not worry so much about Hollywood genre snobbery that doesn't actually matter, especially since overthinking it and being risk-averse Will Smith style is likely to end up with you in Will Smith mediocrity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anthony Hopkins has always been down for whatever. So is Brian Cox, which is why he just did a 5-minute video for Tekken.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I respect Bruce Willis going hog wild after he found out his brain was going bad, and just doing a million movies to get paid as much as possible while he still could.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bryan Cox seems like a good sport. Hannibal Lecter? Sure. Agamemnon? Sure. Super Troopers? Sure.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He’s also been doing voiceovers for McDonald’s commercials over the last few years.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He’s also been doing voiceovers for McDonald’s commercials over the last few years.

He does have a very good voice.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy47rmXHqePkqvQ2E7yqUN4ez3HC5NShW

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh absolutely. I saw Cox on Broadway when he was doing That Championship Season back in 2010 or so and when that man speaks the entire audience listens.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Biplane posted:

I respect Bruce Willis going hog wild after he found out his brain was going bad, and just doing a million movies to get paid as much as possible while he still could.

He's been in a lot of movies that he got paid a lot for, how badly could he need the money.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Torquemada posted:

He's been in a lot of movies that he got paid a lot for, how badly could he need the money.

Is this a trick question

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRIOVeirAa0

I recently saw this video of Brian Cox summarizing the Tekken saga.

I hope it wasn't from this thread :|

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember him being the voice of the narrator guy on Manhunt. Dude was incredibly slimy and creepy. Hell of a VA.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Torquemada posted:

Ask Willie Nelson or Nick Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Torquemada posted:

You gotta think Generationally