Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This thread has reached end stage enshittification :gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
Wearing shoes made out of anything that can't be repaired is for nerds. Get yourselves some Redwings, Danners, or Weinbrenners and prepare to get them resoled in 5 years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Until cobblers get enshittified

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

holefoods posted:

be careful op, costco’s clientele is mostly upper middle class and you’re not gonna like the way they’re voting

Dang well when patriot front includes Costco cards in their uniform I’ll shift my allegiance

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
ups store wanted to charge me $3.33 to print a return label. amazon wants to charge me $1 to mail it to me. just gonna print it at work for free instead.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

For an Amazon return? They should just scan the QR code for the return and charge you nothing

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

Until cobblers get enshittified

It's not hard to do yourself if the shoe is welted construction, but after getting 10 years out of my last pair of everyday shoes getting a new sole was 3/4 the cost of getting new shoes so it's gotten shittier anyway.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Last time I got my frye boots resoled it was $175 and I only paid $325 for them so I’ll just get new boots next time

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

Time_pants posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need a source for this. Not that it isn't believable, but... really?

e: this was totally sourced like three posts later whoops
Here's another source: my personal experiences from working in the TV news business.

I worked for a now-defunct broadcasting company that owned a few television stations across the U.S. My station, the largest one in the group, had an unwritten mandate to "play up" weather coverage, especially on days when severe weather was forecast. The mandate made sense when we had tornado warnings in our coverage area, because those are life-or-death situations. We otherwise made it seem like the sky was falling when it was just rain.

The reason for this hyped-up coverage? Money and ratings! The upstairs bosses figured the more we hyped up weather, the more viewers we could get, and thus the more money our salespeople could charge for advertising. Nobody on staff publicly complained about it, but privately, even some of the meteorologists on staff questioned the legitimate need for such doom and gloom forecasting.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
no QR code option anymore

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
they just went to QR code

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Last time I got my frye boots resoled it was $175 and I only paid $325 for them so I’ll just get new boots next time

i recently learned frye boots have no warranty of any sort. gently caress paying that much for something with no warranty

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ultramega OK posted:

Here's another source: my personal experiences from working in the TV news business.

I worked for a now-defunct broadcasting company that owned a few television stations across the U.S. My station, the largest one in the group, had an unwritten mandate to "play up" weather coverage, especially on days when severe weather was forecast. The mandate made sense when we had tornado warnings in our coverage area, because those are life-or-death situations. We otherwise made it seem like the sky was falling when it was just rain.

The reason for this hyped-up coverage? Money and ratings! The upstairs bosses figured the more we hyped up weather, the more viewers we could get, and thus the more money our salespeople could charge for advertising. Nobody on staff publicly complained about it, but privately, even some of the meteorologists on staff questioned the legitimate need for such doom and gloom forecasting.

I live in Arizona and the TV news here spent most of the last week warning us about apocalyptic storms on the way, saying you want to make sure to stay indoors this weekend and don't make any plans! And prepare yourself for the torrential rain!

It was a tenth of an inch of rain they were predicting.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

weather websites do the same thing. the front page to weather.com always sounds apocalyptic

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

sensationalized news now i've heard everything

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah i dunno wtf but those wack weather websites always have the most insane forecasts on them. same idea as news entertainment, trying to drive clicks? i guess?

i use https://weather.gc.ca/ and it presents the information matter of factly, and generally calls for volumes of precipitation are less (and more accurate) :magemage:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

those same websites also have like 70% of the screen real estate devoted to ads or videos (w ads). thank u government for providing me no nonsense weather data

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I live in Arizona and the TV news here spent most of the last week warning us about apocalyptic storms on the way, saying you want to make sure to stay indoors this weekend and don't make any plans! And prepare yourself for the torrential rain!

It was a tenth of an inch of rain they were predicting.

Weather channels here were talking about snow and apparently grocery stores were a mob scene on Friday. I can't believe people actually thought it was going to snow, it's 2024. There was a substantial drizzle over the weekend to be fair.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Moon Monster posted:

Weather channels here were talking about snow and apparently grocery stores were a mob scene on Friday. I can't believe people actually thought it was going to snow, it's 2024. There was a substantial drizzle over the weekend to be fair.

My boss Friday also was like "PREPARED FOR ALL THE SNOW COMIN UP?? HAHA!!" and I was confused because whatever weather app I use didn't show poo poo and we didn't get poo poo

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even the actual National Weather Service says I'm currently sitting in the middle of a blizzard, even though it's clear skies, 37F, and calm.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Spectrum is sending out texts saying they're prepping for service loss, the news is saying to check on the neighbors and get some blankets ready.

Are we going into a nuclear war or what.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

New Balance whole chud thing isn't just because Nazis decided to like the shoes one day. The company made a bunch if noise about Obama being the wirst thing that ever happened to the US and that Trump was good and cool and was gonna fix everything.

Wear whatever shoe you want but just understand the connection is a bit more than proud boys randomly deciding to like them for no reason.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Peter Falk posted:

Wearing shoes made out of anything that can't be repaired is for nerds. Get yourselves some Redwings, Danners, or Weinbrenners and prepare to get them resoled in 5 years.

Red Wing is 92% white and voted Trump +18 so if you buy their shoes people will think you're a racist.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Here in the Tri-City area, residents should prepare for a BOMB TORRENT of rain! The ATMOSPHERIC RIVER will deluge us in near record amounts of light mist. A tough time for locals, who just recovered from this last winters SNOWMAGEDDON, in which we were buried under literal INCHES of snow. In the long range forecast, the literal end times of rain will clear up and make way for sun, which will be a UV-POCALYPSE for our region! Put on the sunblock folks, temps my crack the high SINGLE DIGITS!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
God dammit I need new shoes. Someone just tell me which ones are socially acceptable.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have two pairs of shoes that are both 6 years old and hanging together with duct tape and hope :negative:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

withak posted:

God dammit I need new shoes. Someone just tell me which ones are socially acceptable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tarkus posted:

You know else wore shoes? Hitler! That's who!

Hitler only ever wore crocs and you know it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

withak posted:

I think Ötzi predated politics as we understand it today

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

steinrokkan posted:

I think Ötzi predated politics as we understand it today

He pissed somebody off somehow

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Cerekk posted:

Red Wing is 92% white and voted Trump +18 so if you buy their shoes people will think you're a racist.

Uhhhh I see you haven’t seen their multicultural billboard campaign :smug:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

MrTargetPractice posted:

New Balance whole chud thing isn't just because Nazis decided to like the shoes one day. The company made a bunch if noise about Obama being the wirst thing that ever happened to the US and that Trump was good and cool and was gonna fix everything.

Wear whatever shoe you want but just understand the connection is a bit more than proud boys randomly deciding to like them for no reason.

yeah i think voting with your wallet when a rep for a company makes a public stance like this is reasonable

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Unethical tennis shoe companies? What will they think of next?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

withak posted:

go barefoot and live in an empty wine barrel

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

go barefoot and live in an empty wine barrel

Barefoot is illegal

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No shirt no shoes no service.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
New Balance Inc is a birther? Sounds odd. Let's Google to learn more.

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/a/brendan-dunne/new-balance-obama-nike
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/22/475311897/shoemaker-new-balance-challenges-obama-on-trans-pacific-partnership

New Balance criticized Obama for the Trans Pacific Partnership, which would lower tariffs on their competitor Nike's child labor sneakers.

Remember, the ones we all hated in 1999? Rage Against the Machine? Seattle? NAFTA and the WTO? Ring a bell? We all wore hideously painful Converse for a decade until Nike bought Converse and moved production to those same child sweatshops?

jesus loving christ

Hey did you know that Italian chef caricatures who touch their thumb to just their index fingertip instead of to all their fingertips are all klansmen?

That's the WHITE SUPREMACY HAND SIGN.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

look pal I can’t trust you after you just trashed chucks like that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mmmm that’s the smell of a thread a few days past its best before date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
dear god no more shoe politics poo poo. no more anything about the politics behind companies, im sure there's a CSPAM thread for this