Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Soap Scum posted:

after a hospital forced them to unmask during a job interview lol
:allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Soap Scum posted:

after a hospital forced them to unmask during a job interview lol

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
did they get the job??

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

anyway my covid virgin friend just tested positive for the first time ever today after a hospital forced them to unmask during a job interview lol

lmao loving christ

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

did they get the job??

With that unwillingness to show their teeth??

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Soap Scum posted:

if hamas invented covid in a lab then i may have to revisit my stance on hamas

Don't give the hasbara nazis any ideas. They did this at the peak of the pandemic and graciously offered them expired vaccines. Death to Israel, as they say.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Dren posted:

Howard Stern got pozzed

https://www.wtrf.com/news/howard-stern-has-covid-19/

:rip: to a real one

too bad even he has bad info about testing... anyone know what kind of mask he was wearing?

Thinking about the time my dad emailed me about Howard's "COVID anxiety" to push me into dropping my guard, pointing out that he broke his "rules" to interview Bruce Springsteen (lol) in person. Oops!

Soap Scum posted:

anyway my covid virgin friend just tested positive for the first time ever today after a hospital forced them to unmask during a job interview lol

U-DO Burger posted:

lmao loving christ

Totally not a workers rights issue though, it's mental illness and cringe to even suggest such a thing, I'm a leftist.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

update: the kids who had Covid coming back from break last week have now given it to faculty this week

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jon Irenicus posted:

update: the kids who had Covid coming back from break last week have now given it to faculty this week

I doubt it. children can neither contract covid nor spread covid. also covid doesn't spread in schools.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Those teachers and children made the wrong Individual Public Health Choice. They should have Just Stayed Home.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

they probably were not vaccinated

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Jon Irenicus posted:

that's just how it is now, everyone is sick. what can you do

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

With that unwillingness to show their teeth??

it was a test like Henry Ford used to do with his engineers. He’d take them out to dinner and anyone who salted their food before tasting was an automatic no since they didn’t test first before assuming and he felt that that was a sign of a poor engineer.

They were testing your friend to see how well he knew infectious disease theory and how well he could resist pressure to break seal in a known dangerous environment.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Those teachers and children made the wrong Individual Public Health Choice. They should have Just Stayed Home.

reported for promoting absenteeism

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Make whatever choice you want, You Do You

Not that one though

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

too many people to quote all but: jury still out on job or not (interview was just on friday). and will be interviewing for other jobs until something lands probably also with implied punishment for masking during those interviews. good poo poo.

they were very very sad, sigh. i just had a screenshare w/ them to walk them through test2treat for them and their legit pretty old and infirm parents that they live in a one-bedroom apartment with and you could tell they were kicking themselves and kinda felt like it was their fault. world is a gently caress. of course i did my best to push back on that but it's hard with all the messaging of illness as moral/individual failure.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Soap Scum posted:

too many people to quote all but: jury still out on job or not (interview was just on friday). and will be interviewing for other jobs until something lands probably also with implied punishment for masking during those interviews. good poo poo.

they were very very sad, sigh. i just had a screenshare w/ them to walk them through test2treat for them and their legit pretty old and infirm parents that they live in a one-bedroom apartment with and you could tell they were kicking themselves and kinda felt like it was their fault. world is a gently caress. of course i did my best to push back on that but it's hard with all the messaging of illness as moral/individual failure.

This poo poo seriously feels like that ST:TNG episode where they're trying to get everyone to play The Game

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/kalewontsaveyou/status/1743792941204656408?s=46

we need to devote more research dollars to this obviously

CBDA and CBGA are precursors to CBD and CBG (and IIRC CBG is the last-stop precursor to THCa in the cannabis biosynthetic pathways).

Hemp seed oil has a lot of CBGA in it, but even if you really wanted to work with this stuff from an alchemical plant-medicine perspective, you would need to grow CBD heavy weed and then do constant testing and harvest it at specific early points to maximize CBGA and CBDA. Lab synthesis is probably the answer here; also I wonder if these compounds are patented or patentable.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Don't give the hasbara nazis any ideas. They did this at the peak of the pandemic and graciously offered them expired vaccines. Death to Israel, as they say.

haha i know, just joking about the specific wording in the post.

but yeah i remember early on in the pandemic, like once it became clear it wasn't going to just Magically Go Away, thinking to myself that the zionist project will do everything it can to use covid as a weapon against palestinians and ... well, yeah =/ it's so depressing

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

it was a test like Henry Ford used to do with his engineers. He’d take them out to dinner and anyone who salted their food before tasting was an automatic no since they didn’t test first before assuming and he felt that that was a sign of a poor engineer.

They were testing your friend to see how well he knew infectious disease theory and how well he could resist pressure to break seal in a known dangerous environment.

the idea of restaurant food not being salty enough definitely dates that one.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

oof, I hope your friend lucks out and manages to avoid household spread. :ohdear:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

oof, I hope your friend lucks out and manages to avoid household spread. :ohdear:

sigh yeah same. going over all the thread tips on reducing in-house transmission at the moment. everyone is masking (the parents are very on board with covid avoidance generally, get vaxxed, etc) so i think fair chance those two escape it if my friend didn't shed a lot prior to testing. thanks to thread for tips + well wishes :')

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Thinking about the time my dad emailed me about Howard's "COVID anxiety" to push me into dropping my guard, pointing out that he broke his "rules" to interview Bruce Springsteen (lol) in person. Oops!

I have a new answer to "so how long are you gonna wear that thing for?" Until I interview Bruce Springsteen.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Spouse started a new job last week. Not a lot of directions rn because his boss went on vacation and came back with covid. Shocking.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Soap Scum posted:

This is so painful. I get the black&white logic of "I was ultimately the one who made the decision to take my mask down" as in, when told to unmask for a job interview there was technically a point that they could have declined and left. But the way the world actually works flies in the face of that in little moments like this for so many people. It's like if you're in need of anything, a job, dental care, whatever, without having an immediate indicator for "COVID is present" to reassure oneself to try again later, there's always the risk of missing out on an opportunity to obtain something needed because actual risk in that moment was lower than perceived risk. This is why I cringe a little when someone (here, on twitter, whenever) says all unfiltered air is poison, because if you then "willingly" share in that air it automatically implies you are then responsible for it you get unlucky. Even if someone is able to maintain compassion towards others who get got, they might not be so forgiving to themselves if it happens to them.

For what it's worth, I do feel we as a group have gotten a lot better about expressing that compassion and not assigning blame on a person when they come in with a pos. update or to ask for help.

It's like the illusion of free choice. I hate when it gets used as an excuse for not taking any responsibility for ones actions, but I also hate when it's ignored because people like the one above then beat themselves up unnecessarily. Goddamn that sucks so much.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'm on my second day of paxlovid, day 3 of infection. The gross taste is about the same as when I forget to brush my teeth in the morning but metallic. My symptoms are some body aches, runny nose, headache, occasional cough, occasional sneeze, more often clearing throat. I'll be happy if symptoms stay at this level.

The hardest part is isolation. I'm able to work from home but I'm a danger to my family. We have masks, air cleaners, and enough rooms that we don't overlap but it is hard when my daughter is asking to play legos.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

This is so painful. I get the black&white logic of "I was ultimately the one who made the decision to take my mask down" as in, when told to unmask for a job interview there was technically a point that they could have declined and left. But the way the world actually works flies in the face of that in little moments like this for so many people. It's like if you're in need of anything, a job, dental care, whatever, without having an immediate indicator for "COVID is present" to reassure oneself to try again later, there's always the risk of missing out on an opportunity to obtain something needed because actual risk in that moment was lower than perceived risk. This is why I cringe a little when someone (here, on twitter, whenever) says all unfiltered air is poison, because if you then "willingly" share in that air it automatically implies you are then responsible for it you get unlucky. Even if someone is able to maintain compassion towards others who get got, they might not be so forgiving to themselves if it happens to them.

For what it's worth, I do feel we as a group have gotten a lot better about expressing that compassion and not assigning blame on a person when they come in with a pos. update or to ask for help.

It's like the illusion of free choice. I hate when it gets used as an excuse for not taking any responsibility for ones actions, but I also hate when it's ignored because people like the one above then beat themselves up unnecessarily. Goddamn that sucks so much.
Good post.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

bred posted:

I'm on my second day of paxlovid, day 3 of infection. The gross taste is about the same as when I forget to brush my teeth in the morning but metallic. My symptoms are some body aches, runny nose, headache, occasional cough, occasional sneeze, more often clearing throat. I'll be happy if symptoms stay at this level.

The hardest part is isolation. I'm able to work from home but I'm a danger to my family. We have masks, air cleaners, and enough rooms that we don't overlap but it is hard when my daughter is asking to play legos.
Get sugar-free cough drops or hard candies for the taste if you want. It’s not horrific but it’s also not as good as mint or honey or whatever

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I can't do any work because half of my coworkers are out sick and the editor who was hospitalized is on indeterminate leave for that unknown respiratory issue.

But we're post-pandemic know, so I get the side eye for masking up.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My SILs family hasn't masked for like 2 years and I doubt anything will change their mind even after 2 planes and 4 airports have left them sick and the 8 year old on day two of her fever. Ah well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Went grocery shopping this morning and there were fewer masks around/out than between christmas and thanksgiving.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zantie posted:

This is why the whole argument that everyone should make their own decisions based on the information available to them is complete bullshit. There's so much pressure to totally ignore COVID that it is not possible for anyone at the individual level to operate as a normal part of society and also protect themselves to the best of their ability unless they are lucky enough to have a family, employer, and medical service providers all in complete agreement. The basic idea of taking precautions is just totally out the window and just by acknowledging COVID is still a thing worth avoiding you're making yourself an unwelcome outlier.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

silicone thrills posted:

Went grocery shopping this morning and there were fewer masks around/out than between christmas and thanksgiving.

I think the sentiment was, "I dont want to get sick during the holidays". Now that the holidays are over, no one cares.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wouldn't' discount the roll over of sick time, for the people who have it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I can't remember the last job I had with sick time, it's all shared PTO now which means getting sick eats into your vacation time

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I can't remember the last job I had with sick time, it's all shared PTO now which means getting sick eats into your vacation time

or you work from home and attend zoom meetings while deathly ill, like my dumb af coworker. the one who has contracted COVID at least four times, one time last summer at the low point of transmission. She showed up and sat in her cube outside my office, then left after two hours, came back an hour later, spent five minutes packing her laptop and other items then left again. A few hours later, another coworker who works next to her was washing her hands in the sink and told me that that coworker tested positive for COVID. No email or verbal notification from my boss, no communication from the sick person while they were there.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Shame he didn't do this when he had a platform worth a drat. Nevertheless, credit where credit is due.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCuomo/status/1743455426526535798
Can't speak to the guest, but as always I am glad when this poo poo gets more mainstream (or I guess in this case mainstream adjacent) exposure.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just normal normalcy all the normal time.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/spain-considers-nationwide-hospital-mask-rule-flu-covid-hit-europe-2024-01-08/ posted:

Spain considers nationwide hospital mask rule, as flu, COVID hit Europe
Spain's government proposed a nationwide mandate for people to wear masks in hospitals and health clinics on Monday, and Italy said respiratory illness infection rates had hit a record, as flu and COVID spread across Europe.

The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control recommended that people on the continent stay home if they feel sick, and consider wearing masks in crowds or healthcare settings, with flu spreading as it typically does this time of year but hitting some countries harder than others.

It said Europeans should follow national guidelines on vaccinating vulnerable groups. Flu is now circulating at higher levels than other common respiratory pathogens, including the Sars-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19, it said. [ed. lol, no it isn't]

Several Spanish regions already ordered patients, visitors and staff at hospitals to wear masks last week. Spain's central government proposed on Monday extending that requirement nationwide, but regional leaders in charge of health policy have so far rejected that, with a decision expected on Wednesday.

"One thing we know will limit epidemics and protect vulnerable people is the mask," Health Minister Monica Garcia said on TVE. "It is a common sense measure, scientifically supported and widely accepted by the public."

The government has also proposed allowing people to self-diagnose lighter cases and take three days off work rather than needing a doctor's note, Garcia said.

Spain was among the last European countries to drop requirements to wear face masks following the COVID-19 pandemic, with people told to wear them on public transport until February 2023, and in health centres and pharmacies until July.

RECORD HIGH
In Italy, people suffering from flu-like illnesses, which include both flu and COVID-19, reached a record high in the last two weeks of 2023, superseding even the COVID epidemic, according to data issued by the issued by National Health Institute (ISS).

The incidence in Italy was 17.5 cases per thousand people in the 52nd week and 17.7 cases per thousand people in the previous week.

ISS experts said the rise could be blamed on the fact that most people were no longer wearing masks and that fewer people had sought vaccinations so far this season. So far there has been no sign that the Italian government is considering re-introducing mask mandates.

Portuguese Health Minister Manuel Pizarro said on Monday there's currently no reason for a generalised recommendation regarding mask use while acknowledging the country was experiencing a flu epidemic that had increased waiting times in hospital emergency wards to more than 10 hours in recent weeks.

In intensive care units, the proportion of influenza cases reached a record 17% in the last week of 2023, according to the health authority.

Countries in other parts of the world were also adopting mask usage once more. Hospitals in at least four U.S. states have reinstated mask mandates amid a rise in cases of COVID, seasonal flu and other respiratory illness.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Shame he didn't do this when he had a platform worth a drat. Nevertheless, credit where credit is due.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCuomo/status/1743455426526535798
Can't speak to the guest, but as always I am glad when this poo poo gets more mainstream (or I guess in this case mainstream adjacent) exposure.

I don't think you have to give Chris Cuomo any credit for anything after laundering his brother's mass negligent homicide on TV for years tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thoguh posted:

This is why the whole argument that everyone should make their own decisions based on the information available to them is complete bullshit. There's so much pressure to totally ignore COVID that it is not possible for anyone at the individual level to operate as a normal part of society and also protect themselves to the best of their ability unless they are lucky enough to have a family, employer, and medical service providers all in complete agreement. The basic idea of taking precautions is just totally out the window and just by acknowledging COVID is still a thing worth avoiding you're making yourself an unwelcome outlier.

This is becoming my concern.