Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Do you even get a chance to execute Abelard or Argenta, considering that you have pretty much an immediate chance to kill Walking Daemonbomb and Lady "gently caress around and find out"?

That's the part thats more on the devs yeah. There's content cut for Argenta that very well might have dealt with situations like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The whole chapter three thing that's like two lines and then nothing should be an opportunity imo.

Also, this thread got really weird

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sloober posted:

The whole chapter three thing that's like two lines and then nothing should be an opportunity imo.

Also, this thread got really weird

I think it's valid criticism of a game I really like, so everybody dancing around making white noise to try to avoid it is kinda funny.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pentyne posted:

yeah but only one of them is a black woman and this whole issue seems to be that players are proudly killing bipoc characters when prompted to by the game and its actually secret racism

yeah I don't really agree with that whole thing but there is definitely a subsection of 40k fans who really want to brag about how they executed a bunch of fictional characters in a way that comes off as extremely weird, like if every other discussion about BG3 had some dude sidle up and talk about how much he loved murdering the tiefling children.

Not that I think that applies to anyone in this thread.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, reading about the 2 DLC expansions that gives us new retinue members and supposedly improvement to different aspects of the gameplay kind of makes me think that I should hold off until December this year before trying a full playthrough.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think it's valid criticism of a game I really like, so everybody dancing around making white noise to try to avoid it is kinda funny.

No, I get your criticisms, I'm just talking about that weird section of hitler posting

I've kind of set the game aside until it's had some patch cooking. Also, I don't think I've ever killed at least intentionally, party character in any game since I never get that into them roll wise, I just benched idira

Sloober fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 8, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

yeah I don't really agree with that whole thing but there is definitely a subsection of 40k fans who really want to brag about how they executed a bunch of fictional characters in a way that comes off as extremely weird, like if every other discussion about BG3 had some dude sidle up and talk about how much he loved murdering the tiefling children.

Not that I think that applies to anyone in this thread.

BG3 has its own version of this problem which is that it's hard to talk about the game without someone busting in to write fanfic about who they hosed and how much they're in love with their videogame wife, and how anyone who doesn't also love their videogame wife is a monster

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

there's a difference between valid criticism and implying everyone is a nazi for killing fictional poc and aliens in a game designed around the freedom of being able to kill nearly anyone and everyone consequence free

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

BG3 has its own version of this problem which is that it's hard to talk about the game without someone busting in to write fanfic about who they hosed and how much they're in love with their videogame wife, and how anyone who doesn't also love their videogame wife is a monster

tbh thats most rpgs imo

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think the biggest subset of the "killing sure is great" brigade in BG3 tends to be the dudes bragging how they iced Karlach the moment they met her.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sloober posted:

No, I get your criticisms, I'm just talking about that weird section of hitler posting

sometimes the sharks get weird when there is blood in the water

e: this is not a reference to sharkopath

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sloober posted:

I've kind of set the game aside until it's had some patch cooking. Also, I don't think I've ever killed at least intentionally, party character in any game since I never get that into them roll wise, I just benched idira

I ended up starting a second playthrough to get some of the triggers I missed as the first run was being patched to stick. Hopefully by the time I catch up to my mid chapter 4 save it'll be much more fixed.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

pentyne posted:

there's a difference between valid criticism and implying everyone is a nazi for killing fictional poc and aliens in a game designed around the freedom of being able to kill nearly anyone and everyone consequence free

This. I dont think calling people nazis and saying they want to "vilify the other" for killing space elves is a statement made in good faith.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Warhammer is genuinely missing out by not including guys in huge turbans. Those huge turban guys with massive crests who do military dance offs on the India Pakistan border and wear almost identical uniforms and do almost exactly the same drill moves but mega hate each other have big 40K vibes.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

yeah that kind of criticism just sucks rear end imo, it doenst go anywhere unless you actually want to get down to brass tacks and figure out exactly which skin tones are allowed to have flaws in a story. Idira is a walking time bomb sure, shes also very useful both in terms of gameplay and narrative, and is generally one of the most level headed and kind people in the game (when not freaking out at least). in other words shes a pretty full fledged and interesting character which seems like the best you can ask for in terms of representation. trying to figure out if its racist that they made her easy to kill is not a good way to use your time i think

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 8, 2024

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it's an incitement of anyone's character, but it is weird to me that people rank Jae as particularly worthy of getting shot. It's something your character in universe has the power to do due to social standing, but she didn't really do anything wrong. Is there some sort of act 4 betrayal plot that I missed?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Warhammer is genuinely missing out by not including guys in huge turbans. Those huge turban guys with massive crests who do military dance offs on the India Pakistan border and wear almost identical uniforms and do almost exactly the same drill moves but mega hate each other have big 40K vibes.
Congratulations, you have now given GW the inspiration for the WH40K equivalent of Chaos Dwarves.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Uh oh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

the Emperor was a Turk!!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hope they add some orks

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zodium posted:

hope they add some orks

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Orks rule, Id love to see em

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think it's an incitement of anyone's character, but it is weird to me that people rank Jae as particularly worthy of getting shot. It's something your character in universe has the power to do due to social standing, but she didn't really do anything wrong. Is there some sort of act 4 betrayal plot that I missed?

Yeah it's more about thinking the off-putting tone some people use when discussing them and no other characters is lame than calling people out.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zodium posted:

hope they add some orks

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Once again weird racists have to come in and make me feel uncomfortable every time I hoot, holler and open palm slam the [Execute] dialog choice.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Her being a "Cold trader" one response dogmatic option is to put a gun to her head, make her recant all her shady trade deals and give her one more chance to serve the emperor before killing her for xeno heresy.

And that's the nice dogmatic option.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Orks rule, Id love to see em

they're the best 40k race

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

pentyne posted:

Her being a "Cold trader" one response dogmatic option is to put a gun to her head, make her recant all her shady trade deals and give her one more chance to serve the emperor before killing her for xeno heresy.

Hey, Xeno smuggling is the purview of the Rogue Trader, just making sure that she understands where we draw the borders in this business relationship.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pentyne posted:

I understand the in universe justification, just seems like a button you wouldn't clikc unless you're far enough into Dogmatic that you've already killed Yrliet and a whole bunch of other non-party characters.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Tallarn

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

In universe? She is introduced as the kingpin of a xenos artifact cartel.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I understand the in universe justification, just seems like a button you wouldn't clikc unless you're far enough into Dogmatic that you've already killed Yrliet and a whole bunch of other non-party characters.

I shot her for being a deserter.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
So is 40k an exception to the rule "if someone tells you they are a nazi, believe them."?

I actually thought the Idira decision was fairly nuanced. Sure, she is useful, but it also isn't her fault that she wasn't ever sanctioned, and she spent who knows long hanging out with a an extremely heretical RT who kept telling her that whatever harm she was doing to the rest of the crew (or anyone else) didn't matter. She's been heavily indoctrinated into a cult and I would argue that she'd normally deserve at least an attempt at deprogramming, but that isn't an option, at least in the immediate term. She's wildly dangerous and unremorseful. The game also doesn't have any path to redemption for her, that I've seen at least.

But that's not how a lot of people present those kinds of decisions. There are a lot of people who think it is a funny joke that you can put a bullet in the head of the black woman. Those same people talk up instantly killing the diaspora Xenos the second you determine they aren't the white woman they were passing as. They hate Jae because she's uppity or some bullshit. People are angry that Iconoclast even exists, let alone has positive outcomes more often than not.

40k isn't satire making fun of fascism if the fascist answer is always the correct one. Owlcat gets this, which is why being dogmatic isn't always the best path. Sometimes this thread reads like how I'd imagine the Disco Elysium thread would read if people unironically loved the fascist playthrough though. In a world where literal self-proclaimed nazis are making the same lovely jokes as goons, and fascism is on the rise worldwide, maybe you all could not loving sound identical to people who want to murder me? Because I'm sure most of you aren't nazis, and maybe you didn't realize how many loving Nazis love 40k and make the same lovely jokes you all make every couple of pages.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

Congratulations, you have now given GW the inspiration for the WH40K equivalent of Chaos Dwarves.
There wasn't much proper lore for them but there were a few one off chao squat models made. This fella should be re-released.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't engage with discussion about this game outside of this thread but the only reasons I've seen people post about itt for killing idira (tbf I haven't read every post) is that she gets drunk and summons demons. Which is still wrong because demon summoning is at worst free experience and added content to this video game. Are people itt really saying they killed her for being an "uppity black woman" or are we just getting mad about reddit posts?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 8, 2024

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, would you have been far more comfortable with people talking about blamming Idira if she had been more of a whiter shade of pale?

If i wanted to be lore accurate I would’ve let Argenta shoot her or given her to Heinrix because unsanctioned psykers are dangerous. However she’s super op and I’m a greedy gently caress so I kept her around.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I kissed Jae actually... mad?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

So is 40k an exception to the rule "if someone tells you they are a nazi, believe them."?

I actually thought the Idira decision was fairly nuanced. Sure, she is useful, but it also isn't her fault that she wasn't ever sanctioned, and she spent who knows long hanging out with a an extremely heretical RT who kept telling her that whatever harm she was doing to the rest of the crew (or anyone else) didn't matter. She's been heavily indoctrinated into a cult and I would argue that she'd normally deserve at least an attempt at deprogramming, but that isn't an option, at least in the immediate term. She's wildly dangerous and unremorseful. The game also doesn't have any path to redemption for her, that I've seen at least.

But that's not how a lot of people present those kinds of decisions. There are a lot of people who think it is a funny joke that you can put a bullet in the head of the black woman. Those same people talk up instantly killing the diaspora Xenos the second you determine they aren't the white woman they were passing as. They hate Jae because she's uppity or some bullshit. People are angry that Iconoclast even exists, let alone has positive outcomes more often than not.

40k isn't satire making fun of fascism if the fascist answer is always the correct one. Owlcat gets this, which is why being dogmatic isn't always the best path. Sometimes this thread reads like how I'd imagine the Disco Elysium thread would read if people unironically loved the fascist playthrough though. In a world where literal self-proclaimed nazis are making the same lovely jokes as goons, and fascism is on the rise worldwide, maybe you all could not loving sound identical to people who want to murder me? Because I'm sure most of you aren't nazis, and maybe you didn't realize how many loving Nazis love 40k and make the same lovely jokes you all make every couple of pages.

I think cutting the changing of companion ideologies also hurt this a lot. There's little dialog hints of Argenta and Idira having warmer feelings and concerns for each other that never manifests no matter what kind of Trader you are. Missed opportunity I think. I think I mentioned it before but the companions hardly interact with each other at all and that's a shame, since the few times they do are super entertaining.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dox023 posted:

If i wanted to be lore accurate I would’ve let Argenta shoot her or given her to Heinrix because unsanctioned psykers are dangerous. However she’s super op and I’m a greedy gently caress so I kept her around.

It makes very little sense to keep Idira around except for a Heretic playthrough where she’s regularly summoning “your pals” rather than “unholy abominations from hell”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

It makes very little sense to keep Idira around except for a Heretic playthrough where she’s regularly summoning “your pals” rather than “unholy abominations from hell”.

Those unholy abominations are worth exp though and they die in one shot anyway. Also you can get Idira’s psy rating up to like 30 really easily and it’s funny watching everything die to pain channeling.