Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
As Alberta Pushes Private Clinics, Surgeons Allege Conflict of Interest

Charles Rusnell/The Tyee posted:

Six weeks ago, Alberta Health Services appointed head and neck surgeon Dr. Daniel O’Connell to a senior administrative position. His permanent appointment means he will continue to wield influence over where patients are seen and ultimately undergo surgery — in a province where private clinics and surgical facilities are rapidly expanding.

The 13-page complaint, dated Nov. 21, 2022, details an alleged pattern of conflict of interest, secretive, dismissive and authoritarian behaviour by O’Connell. The complainants allege O’Connell used his authority, to their detriment, to support and promote the private delivery of surgery and clinical care, including at the Canadian Cancer Care, or CCC, clinic in Edmonton.

The whistleblower complaint alleges O’Connell initially failed to disclose his relationship with the CCC clinic and, without the complainants’ knowledge, patients were directed from the public system to the private clinic.

It is also alleged O’Connell arbitrarily reduced hospital operating room hours for a senior surgeon and appointed one of his clinic business partners to a senior administrative position at a hospital without any competition.

O’Connell is also accused of blocking the hiring of a talented, highly trained young surgeon and academic who preferred to work in the public system.
This is, uh, blowing up a bit in Alberta medical discussions. It should be obvious that instituting the profit motive into medicine leads to deterioration in care as profit is siphoned off to pay investors, but thus far in Alberta it hasn't entailed physicians loving over their own colleagues. The ethics complaints (pdf link) is much more detailed and damning than the article. Basically if you don't play ball with the private clinic (part-owned by the head of ENT) then you don't get OR time, you don't get on-call schedules, and you don't get hired (because the boss wanted to hire someone else instead of you, despite the whole rest of the department wanting your skills).

I once had a surgical trainer ask me if I was going to do family med because it's 'all I was able to get.' True enough; however, nobody backstabs you when you work in a homeless clinic and I still have a job, so that's a plus.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Guys, I've got a question: What the gently caress is up with Can Pol on Twitter? It's always been bad, but I feel like it's now solely the domain of the hardline right 'Trudeau = Super Hitler" convoy crowd.

Like, take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1744396114705383815

A completely normal, run-of-the-mill post by Jagmeet Singh trying to hype up the new government dental coverage...And all 500 and some replies are by blue check weirdos parroting the same conservative talking points about "tHe DeFiCiT". And every time I see a Canadian topic in the trending sidebar it's just more of the convoy crowd making noise. Opinion polls show that these guys are nowhere near the majority opinion, yet they're the only ones I ever see being promoted on Twitter. Have all the non-CHUDs just abandoned the platform in light of the enshitification?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

twitter and reddit have been astroturfed by right-wing groups for the last 5-10 years. anyone without brain damage on the left has already moved on from those sites and don't get sucked into the arguments

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The only remaining battleground of ideas is in the comments on CBC news articles.

The ideas are all stupid.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Slotducks posted:

twitter and reddit have been astroturfed by right-wing groups for the last 5-10 years. anyone without brain damage on the left has already moved on from those sites and don't get sucked into the arguments

Add to this that fact that no one is passionate enough about the dental plan to defend it online.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Slotducks posted:

It’s really disheartening to see this garbage float to the front page of Reddit. Canadahousing2 and Canada_sub are regular features there now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Online was a mistake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KingKalamari posted:

Guys, I've got a question: What the gently caress is up with Can Pol on Twitter? It's always been bad, but I feel like it's now solely the domain of the hardline right 'Trudeau = Super Hitler" convoy crowd.

A completely normal, run-of-the-mill post by Jagmeet Singh trying to hype up the new government dental coverage...And all 500 and some replies are by blue check weirdos parroting the same conservative talking points about "tHe DeFiCiT". And every time I see a Canadian topic in the trending sidebar it's just more of the convoy crowd making noise. Opinion polls show that these guys are nowhere near the majority opinion, yet they're the only ones I ever see being promoted on Twitter. Have all the non-CHUDs just abandoned the platform in light of the enshitification?

Aye, I was shocked to discover that there’s roving Musullman hordes terrorizing Toronto and doing Sharia, and also Olivia Chow and Justin Trudeau lust for Jewish death

Well it’s either that or Twitter isn’t a very good news source.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Aye, I was shocked to discover that there’s roving Musullman hordes terrorizing Toronto and doing Sharia, and also Olivia Chow and Justin Trudeau lust for Jewish death

Well it’s either that or Twitter isn’t a very good news source.

I mean the roving Muslim hordes part is true, but it’s just Palestinian protestors lusting for store death (indigo and Zara)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im not sure it brings me any comfort to know we live in the dumbest timeline and not the worst one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The number of people I know that say being forced to use someone's preferred pronouns and Justin "Super Hitler" Trudeau are the biggest threats to Canada would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. Like these are (seemingly) normal, non-political people that I've know for years who've just gone off the deep end over the last 3 - 5 years Every issue that pops up, no matter how small or trivial, is because of Trudeau. Like some of these people can't even afford a house yet all they talk about is "the trans issue" and how the cost of housing is just a smoke screen so Trudeau can keep forcing kids to become gay or something.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm just in awe of the professor who had no choice but to resign because the university didn't force people to agree with him

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, remember that memorial to the "victims of communism" they're building? Turns out it could sour relations with ASEAN and also, oops, there might be some Nazis being celebrated on there.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/victims-of-communism-memorial-focus-on-vietnam-could-create-backlash-documents-warn

quote:

Canadian government officials have identified some individuals who served with the Waffen SS among the names submitted for the memorial, according to the federal documents. Other alleged Nazi collaborators associated with the memorial have also been identified by the Department of Canadian Heritage, but the exact number is censored from the records.

The Canadian government quietly postponed the planned November 2023 unveiling of the $7.5-million Memorial to the Victims of Communism, now essentially completed at a fenced-off site along Wellington Street in downtown Ottawa.

A statement posted on a government website for the project on Oct. 18 said that, “although the Memorial to the Victims of Communism — Canada, a Land of Refuge was scheduled to be inaugurated by the end of 2023, the Government of Canada is doing its due diligence to ensure all aspects of the memorial remain compatible with Canadian values on democracy and human rights.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Whoever could have foreseen this?

No one, probably.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It makes sense in that no one else is as good at killing nazis than communists.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

HackensackBackpack posted:

Hey, remember that memorial to the "victims of communism" they're building? Turns out it could sour relations with ASEAN and also, oops, there might be some Nazis being celebrated on there.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/victims-of-communism-memorial-focus-on-vietnam-could-create-backlash-documents-warn

Lmfao. Could you imagine? The Canadian government paying tribute to a veteran of the Waffen SS? Boy glad they caught that one befo-

Oh. Hmm. Well, in that case I have a suggsstion for a keynote speaker people will already be familiar with

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

But seriously tear that stupid thing down lol

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

KingKalamari posted:

Iirc one of Elon's "brilliant" ideas was to make blue check accounts be promoted. Any time a blue check account makes a tweet or replies to a tweet, they get "promoted" or "highlighted" or whatever the gently caress, so they always are the first thing you see when looking for, well, anything. Similarly, in how "engagement" on YouTube and other places is mostly driven by this raging pieces of poo poo, Elon hosed with Twitter so that idiots dumb enough to pay a monthly subscription always get seen above regular users.

You can find the normal responses, you just have to scroll past all the blue checks, especially since, I think, a decent majority of those accounts are bots (thought you were supposed to get rid of those, Elon)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

KingKalamari posted:

Yes, the vast majority of reasonable people have left Twitter because it's a shithole full of bigots and fascists that get promoted to the front page because of 'algorithms' and also because they gave Elon 5 bucks.

It's absolutely shameful that government entities and politicians are still on there, using it as their main mode of communication. Apparently if I don't want to support that festering pile I don't deserve to see communication from my representatives and government.
Putting what is basically the sole means of communication in the hands of a private corporation was a fantastic idea.

They could at the very least cross-post on federated social media from government-controlled servers.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
What's the best way to get Canadian news now?

I'd kind of like to just visit one stop shop application (some kind of RSS) or purchase a subscription with the most decent national paper with a Toronto section.

Social media is unacceptable to me unless via some aggregator that gives me controls over the advertisements or content it pulls.

Do websites need to have an RSS format link/release format or can I PvP websites and scrape content to consume later? The RSS feed might be very important, because you can totally throw the gazette in there and that's cool.

RSS is a nice idea and would let me connect blogs, small indie newspapers and the big un's in one place. But it would be good to have options to meet desktop viewing and app viewing needs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

I'd kind of like to just visit one stop shop application (some kind of RSS) or purchase a subscription with the most decent national paper with a Toronto section.

Social media is unacceptable to me unless via some aggregator that gives me controls over the advertisements or content it pulls.

Do websites need to have an RSS format link/release format or can I PvP websites and scrape content to consume later? The RSS feed might be very important, because you can totally throw the gazette in there and that's cool.

RSS is a nice idea and would let me connect blogs, small indie newspapers and the big un's in one place. But it would be good to have options to meet desktop viewing and app viewing needs.

Sounds like you want a Toronto Star subscription.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just check out the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, and CBC News websites every so often. :shrug:

One thing I don't understand about the whole Canadian news and social media companies dispute, are people only getting their news by clicking on promoted "news stories" in their feeds? I guess that would suggest that there are a lot of people that only experience the internet through whatever their main social media platform of choice feeds them which would explain a lot.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Arivia posted:

Sounds like you want a Toronto Star subscription.

Maybe I'm more of a national post girl though.

quote:

One thing I don't understand about the whole Canadian news and social media companies dispute, are people only getting their news by clicking on promoted "news stories" in their feeds? I guess that would suggest that there are a lot of people that only experience the internet through whatever their main social media platform of choice feeds them which would explain a lot.

This is absolutely true! Think about the article adverts. Think about Firefox pocket. Algo blog recommendations.

People are overwhelmingly just handed things to read and process and in my experience tend to take a back seat in controlling what they decide to read.

Some people are probably better at it than me but the way I choose YouTube videos or documentaries to watch, is basically wholly just letting the algo feed me content.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 9, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

This is absolutely true! Think about the article adverts. Think about Firefox pocket. Algo blog recommendations.

People are overwhelmingly just handed things to read and process and in my experience tend to take a back seat in controlling what they decide to read.

Some people are probably better at it than me but the way I choose YouTube videos or documentaries to watch, is basically wholly just letting the algo feed me content.

You said “most decent.” National post still has op eds from Lord Crossharbour on occasion.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Toalpaz posted:

Oh no

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't advise the National Post.

I think it's the one source I've straight up banned from my Apple News feed, because it's always full of the most blithering idiocy.

Thinking on it, I should expand this policy and banish any outlet which claims, in a news story or op-ed, that protesting Israeli policy is somehow anti-Semitic, because that poo poo gets my blood pressure up.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I've found the CBC app to be acceptable, although the Canadian news to American news ratio is not quite what I'd like, especially going into An Election Year down south. It's at least not filled to the brim with breathless reporting on local vandalism like my actual local paper.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

The something awful dot com forums

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The pages of the Toronto Sun meet national standards for decency and even technically exceed local ones.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

The pages of the Toronto Sun meet national standards for decency and even technically exceed local ones.

They want news, not Sunshine Girls.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ZShakespeare posted:

The something awful dot com forums

Unironically I wind up getting most of my news here. I'm sure this is healthy and will have no untoward side effects.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Unironically I wind up getting most of my news here. I'm sure this is healthy and will have no untoward side effects.

Alcoholism is a potential side effect. Check with your doctor if CanPol is right for you.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've found the CBC app to be acceptable, although the Canadian news to American news ratio is not quite what I'd like, especially going into An Election Year down south. It's at least not filled to the brim with breathless reporting on local vandalism like my actual local paper.

hey at least you have a local paper! my town used to have one, now every small town in this area is served by like one local online-only site that carries a lot of advertorial content

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MatchaZed posted:

Alcoholism is a potential side effect. Check with your doctor if CanPol is right for you.
Bad news, I think they are the thread Dr.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

KingKalamari posted:

It's because Twitter is being run by a Boer Nazi nepo baby who gets wicked high on a custom blend of ketamine and his own farts and makes bad decisions but can't backtrack on them because that would make it harder to win the adulation of terminally-online shut-in neckbeards (no, not the C-SPAM ones, the other ones).

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I use the Apple News app (paid) and the CBC app for news. And also the forums, yeah. Thanks for the private healthcare story btw, Albino Squirrel.

The Sandy and Nora podcast is good, but can be a downer.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Yellow Ant posted:

Thanks for the private healthcare story btw, Albino Squirrel.
No worries! Part two is up.

Charles Rusnell posted:

O’Brien is now a surgeon in a non-profit hospital and an associate professor at Creighton University in Omaha. He and his wife still have to figure out how to complete the PhDs they began at the University of Alberta.

Every few months, O’Brien sends an email to the AHS Edmonton zone chair of surgery and the interim AHS medical director asking for an update on the job he was offered. Either his inquiries are ignored or he receives a perfunctory non-response.

O’Brien has filled in as a surgeon in Yellowknife but his permanent residency in Canada is running out. He figures he has nothing left to lose by going public about how he was treated by O’Connell and AHS.
I know (from med school) one of the private surgeons tangentially involved in this. Quisling bastard.

B33rChiller posted:

Bad news, I think they are the thread Dr.
I am! And the alcoholism is a side effect of working with the homeless under the UCP.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

MatchaZed posted:

And here I thought doom scrolling was a side effect of my alcoholism...

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

MatchaZed posted:

Well, I would think the deterrence of being sent to the Leper Colony for posting while drunk and/or high helps with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

Well, I would think the deterrence of being sent to the Leper Colony for posting while drunk and/or high helps with that.

The trick is to post so badly sober that your drunkposting is indistinguishable.