Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

I'm currently in Summer Year 2. I have my speed set to 0.6 though, which gives me a lot of time in the day.

At my current point, I'm pretty much out of all side content though and I have enough resources that I could probably blitz the remainder of the game. I bet I have about sub-10 hours left if I just focus on main story.

Story-wise, I have all four ruins open and am back to building the Portia tunnel.

My one main complaint is that side quests are horribly paced and front-loaded. I wish they were better paced out across the main story. I feel like the Summer/Autumn year 1 are filled with side quests popping up 2-4 per day. Now it's just a drought.

A lot of those sidequests are "fish for me" cruft though. I could do with those coming at much less of a pace.

MechaCrash posted:

It can also snatch away your items. It says that if you follow the direction of the wind, you can find the things that blew away, but I've never found anything that I've lost that way, so I always put on my goofy mask so I don't lose all my poo poo.

I thought it snatched your items from crafting stations that haven't been collected. I've never got the message again after I stopped processing stuff during storms. And that's without ever wearing a sand hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh! Now I understand why Catori kept walking into the Museum through the roof. It's because upgraded Museum has a second door there and the game got confused.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Intentional or a happy accident?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

2 questions:

1) is this like the original where it’s basically mathematically impossible to finish first in the first season, but after that you start pulling to the top with ease?

2) I noticed there’s a lack of direct competition. Like in the last one dicknuts or whatever his name was would swoop in and deliver all the commission items if you didn’t. Is there any of that here? I haven’t seen it yet if so. Right now it’s been ‘Mi-An go work on x, builder here will make y!’

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Saxophone posted:

2 questions:

1) is this like the original where it’s basically mathematically impossible to finish first in the first season, but after that you start pulling to the top with ease?

2) I noticed there’s a lack of direct competition. Like in the last one dicknuts or whatever his name was would swoop in and deliver all the commission items if you didn’t. Is there any of that here? I haven’t seen it yet if so. Right now it’s been ‘Mi-An go work on x, builder here will make y!’

1 - I was first place with a week left in the first month (this game starts in summer). As you rank up your workshop, you can take additional commissions. There's also a node on the talent tree that allows an extra commission. By the end of the first month, I could take 3 a day.

2 - For the main story, it's collaborative. You're each given separate things to work on (until Mi-an basically gets forgotten about by the story about half way through). She'll still grab the occasional commission off the board though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Once you've learned your way around the game it's not difficult to reliably win the first month.

Apart from commissions, you also get a useful* amount of repuation from museum donations. Most things you craft or assemble can be donated, including tools and machines.

* for the first month, it doesn't really scale meaningfully after that

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I was second the first summer, first the first autumn, and currently in the middle of the first winter still in first place. I just do as many commissions as I can each day and try to pick the highest value ones.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the way it shakes out is that you can take first in the first month, but doing so requires you to really work hard at it. After that, you'd have to be actively trying to not come in first every time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:thunk:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, you didn't see the clean shaven owen running around?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So the other night I was lying in bed and trying to fall to sleep and, for once, instead of the usual slideshow of random cringe my brain produced "what are the politics of these Sandrock characters?" and then I immediately thought of like three things that made me chuckle*, so the next day I sat down and wrote up everyone in town.
* I look forward to your "and you decided not to post any of them?"

Now, a few caveats.

One, minor spoilers abound! I put a few characters whose status significantly changes at the end in a spoiler block.

Two, I know this is pretty dumb. I don't fear cringe, I embrace it.

Three, I did some characters dirty for lulz or because I couldn't think of anything else. I am sorry! I actually like (almost) all of them!

Four, if any of the political stuff triggers you or if you think it's a dogwhistle for my own abhorrent beliefs, you are absolutely right. I'm terrible.

BACHELORS AND BACHELORETTES

Amirah - completely apolitical, barely noticed the occupation.

Arvio - lolbertarian; was too late for bitcoins but really got into NFTs.

Burgess - the world's most reasonable environmentalist Christian

Catori - against handouts except when she's the one getting them.

Elsie - socially left, gonna slowly drift to becoming as conservative as her parents in the next 15 years or so.

Ernest - I wanna be like common people, I wanna do whatever common people do-

Fang - has a pretty good understanding of politics; doesn't vote.

Grace - "This is a hard world and sometimes hard people have to make hard choices. So eat the loving omelette."

Heidi - Promethean environmentalist technocrat. Kindly smiles when you tell her you don't know what that means.

Jane - very performative liberal.

Justice - mostly just don't want people to crime. (Because he's so bad at noticing/stopping it.)

Mi-an - adorable and perfect, has the exact same (correct and good and smart) politics as I do

Nia - has a popular dirtbag left podcast and an army of simps.

Owen - left on social issues, but it really pains him to pay the taxes.

Pablo - "You did a racism. You did an imperialism. You did a xenophobia. You did a white fragility. You did a weak apology. You did a no growth. You-"

Qi - will vote for whoever he thinks will approve more giant robots.

Unsuur - is into weird rationalist poo poo, like esoteric electoral systems, and Cybersyn, and charter cities.

Venti - just happy that she's not literally buried in trash anymore.

THE NON-ROMANCEABLES

Andy - be a boy, do crimes!

Jasmine - actually understands politics better than a significant proportion of the grown-ups in town

Cooper - whatever he votes for it's for a really dumb reason

Mabel - so tradwife she doesn't know what a 'tradwife' is.

Hugo - find out what Cooper thinks*, do the opposite
* whether you want to or not

Rocky - Bernie bro, pro-union, pro-punching Yan

Crystal - small business owner conservative. She and Rocky had to agree to not bring up certain topics.

Jensen - one issue voter. (It's trains. You knew this.)

Trudy - um uh can't we all uh just um get along?

Vivi - family!

Rian - gets high and talks about, like, The Man. Sometimes doesn't bother getting high first.

Dan-bi - one eco-disaster away from becoming an eco-terrorist. But, like, a nice one.

Mort - "Our wills unite to create a fortress- only in this way can we weather the storm to come. This is who we are here, like our namesake, one grain of sand, one single stone, on their own are nothing, but together they can shake the earth!"

Zeke - a deep well of sensible dad opinions, awkwardly mumbled

Yan - will join whatever political entity that will let him grift and embezzle the most

SPOILERS

Logan - sometimes you gotta get extrajudicial

Pen - Yukio Mishima-style homoerotic fash, jerks off to a mirror reflection of himself oiled up and sieg heiling

Matilda - a sociopath who's very good at earnestly larping ideology, but doesn't even care about Duvos

Miguel - LAME.

If you agree, disagree, or have funnier alternatives, feel free to comment!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Cooper is 100% someone who used to be Qanon but decided it was getting too mainstream, now he’s into flat earth theory.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I feel like Grace would be the one with a dirtbag left podcast. Additionally, no listeners, because almost no one has the technology to listen to it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Megazver posted:

Pen - Yukio Mishima-style homoerotic fash, jerks off to a mirror reflection of himself oiled up and sieg heiling

Lol @ this and unsuur

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also - Catori would absolutely love pre-Twitter acquisition Elon Musk.

Megazver posted:

Mi-an - adorable and perfect, has the exact same (correct and good and smart) politics as I do

:hmmyes:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

King of Solomon posted:

I feel like Grace would be the one with a dirtbag left podcast. Additionally, no listeners, because almost no one has the technology to listen to it.
That seems unlikely to me considering her profession.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That seems unlikely to me considering her profession.

Waitress? I know she's an archeology student, but that doesn't make old world tech common.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is the game scripted to have your very first rain on your birthday or am I just lucky?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Waitress? I know she's an archeology student, but that doesn't make old world tech common.

:allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Oh welp, I'm very interested in learning what you're talking about. I just finished the Pet Detective quest.

E: also concerned. Definitely concerned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

imho, the high point of the game starts with the quest "The Goat" and that kicks off a chain of events that leads to the climax of act 2.

You're not too far away from that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Burgess is Judge Dredd with a water pistol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Listening to Unsuur is like looking in the mirror. I hate it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Unsuur is very popular though...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Unsuur is the one character in the town I just kind of pity. Arvio otoh can go step on a lego.

The real tragedy is not being able to romance Trudy :colbert: Owen is at least a good consolation prize.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I agree with Justice in that I also find Unsuur weird in an abrasive not endearing way. I know he's a comic relief character but he's literal-minded to a dangerous degree.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I KNOW nobody here is enough of a coward to not watch paint dry all the way with him

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
this is the Unsuur love zone, if you don't love Unsuur get the heck outta here we'll work through this as a community

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 11, 2024

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It would rather betray sandrock then let sandrock betray unsuur

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How does this game do on deck? I’m traveling this weekend and was thinking about bringing my obsession with me on the road.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saxophone posted:

How does this game do on deck? I’m traveling this weekend and was thinking about bringing my obsession with me on the road.

Sandrock runs really well on Deck. Not flawlessly, and the draw distance for interactables is a little closer than I'd like a lot of the time, but it runs well enough that most of my playtime in Sandrock is on the steam deck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saxophone posted:

It's good on Deck. I get a stable 45fps (which looks good on the OLED one since it's a fraction of 90, for some reason). It can go higher, but no combination of graphical options seems capable of reaching a steady 60, and at 45 I can increase some graphical options.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MechaCrash posted:

It can also snatch away your items. It says that if you follow the direction of the wind, you can find the things that blew away, but I've never found anything that I've lost that way, so I always put on my goofy mask so I don't lose all my poo poo.

Okay I can actually confirm I was right about this, the wind snatches stuff off your stations, not from you if you are not wearing a mask. I actually found some stuff that was snatched for once! ...It was stuck up in the air downwind from my house after the storm was over. With some jumping around, I got it back.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

All of the 1 on 1 time with Unsuur is a lot of fun, it's silly but endearing?

Burgess though ooh I dislike him so much. I call him Burgass under my breath sometimes.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Spudd posted:

All of the 1 on 1 time with Unsuur is a lot of fun, it's silly but endearing?

The first time was enough to make me avoid him for a while but dammit he's great

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

How do the Abandoned mines work? I'm at lvl 11 and can't find the exit.
The final guide arrow just points to a door between two rooms and stays there after entering.
Do they have an exit or is it time to load another level, when you've emptied it?

Been playing a little and Sandrock is way better than Portia so far.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Issaries posted:

The final guide arrow just points to a door between two rooms and stays there after entering.
Do they have an exit or is it time to load another level, when you've emptied it?

I think only one of the abandoned mines has an exit door at the last level, you just leave when you've finished what you need to do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Issaries posted:

When you get all the way to the final floor you need to reset it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Midnight Voyager posted:

Okay I can actually confirm I was right about this, the wind snatches stuff off your stations, not from you if you are not wearing a mask. I actually found some stuff that was snatched for once! ...It was stuck up in the air downwind from my house after the storm was over. With some jumping around, I got it back.

The wind will take stuff from your stations mask or no mask. Even the sandwall doesn't stop this for some reason. I just empty my stations and chalk the day up as lost. The worst are automatic cutscenes when you exit your house during a sandstorm. Love seeing the "wind has blown away your stuff" during a forced cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sandwall assuredly does stop things from being blown away, but not until you put it up

put it up every night before sleeping then take it down in the morning if the weather's clear