Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
While we're talking about eurorack, I'll bring up my most impressive and also most annoying module: a Disting mk4. It can switch from being a VCO to a distortion effect or a VCA or a modulation effect or a sampler, etc but you have menu dive with a dial to get there. They currently have it set up with 84 different modes to choose from.

Oh yeah, it's also the tiniest freakin' thing which is a plus

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can fit a lot of computing power behind that plate, with enough menu diving it could probably play Doom.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

While we're talking about eurorack, I'll bring up my most impressive and also most annoying module: a Disting mk4. It can switch from being a VCO to a distortion effect or a VCA or a modulation effect or a sampler, etc but you have menu dive with a dial to get there. They currently have it set up with 84 different modes to choose from.

The manual having links to short youtube demonstrations for each mode is huge for me.
In fact, that manual is a work of art on its own.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Catastrophe posted:

As discussed on the prior page, I am strongly opinionated that unless you literally need to jam a util module in 4hp, spend 2x as much, get a disting EX, get two distings for the price of two and then you get a free actually usable display as well as a bunch of extra algs that use the whole thing at once.

Getting some MK4s becomes more defensible if you have an EX because you can use the EX menu to cheat on the alg numbering, ha.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Cabbages and Kings posted:

As discussed on the prior page, I am strongly opinionated that unless you literally need to jam a util module in 4hp, spend 2x as much, get a disting EX, get two distings for the price of two and then you get a free actually usable display as well as a bunch of extra algs that use the whole thing at once.

Getting some MK4s becomes more defensible if you have an EX because you can use the EX menu to cheat on the alg numbering, ha.

EX didn't exist yet when I got this

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I appreciate the trend of having modules be platforms for different firmware. I was able to flash my Bastl Basil to the Pizza firmware and Versio to Desmodus Versio and it provided a nice bit of novelty to get me patching again. For now

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just traded a couple ounces of home grown weed to a module maker that up decline to name in exchange for a ~tree fiddy module they designed and assembled.

Vermeconomics

Happy new year everyone

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sweetwater called me to say they have some number of JP 4000s, so PSA on that. They have one less than they did before they called me.

Maybe it's hot trash, at that price who the gently caress cares, it's great just for the "mom says we have a synthesizer at home!" meme value

in other news I got a fully working LZX ESG3 plus some LZX power poo poo, but, I have a Factors and a Synthonie Animate still on the way so I am going to hold back on video content until those are set up and understood to some extent.

Also, my Tall Dog kit to turn my OpSix into a desktop thing showed up today.

Good mail day, almost a shame I was using my last day of vacation to be on tryptamines and therefore didn't feel like dealing with rack screws and power plugs until the end of it :laugh:

edit: OpSix turned into desktop device. Nice.

Edit2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LfbEW_KAc

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 4, 2024

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Sonicware, being true to their name, announced the next iteration of their Liven cheap synth brand: the LIVEN MEGA Synthesis, a synth that emulates the sound chips from the original Sega Mega Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCxZZnsF6GI

For extra nerd cred, they got Yuzo Koshiro to do the preset songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZpce2q2xoc

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Passes the SNiff test :9
Would be a lot more portable than the oscillographic

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Boody posted:

Haven't really had a chance to do a deep dive but did have some fun with the mainbow and some t420's I'd picked up earlier this year.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lofi future wasn't on my radar but that thing looks cool and they have preorders up for a new version, I will keep my eyes on that. LZX is getting my cash for a while :sigh: :laugh:
I too got some T-420 units (both modular and standalone form factors) last year, along with some other LoFi Future items, after like over a year of waiting for them to be built and ship. I don't think I had everything from that order until September, if memory serves (shipped in two parts, first was somewhat earlier), and I had ordered in like, I wanna say June or July of the previous year. I've only had a little bit of time to futz around with some of the stuff since then, and while I'm nominally interested in stuff like the new T-420 Ultra High Grade module, that experience has made me more than a little apprehensive about buying direct again.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

minidracula posted:

and while I'm nominally interested in stuff like the new T-420 Ultra High Grade module, that experience has made me more than a little apprehensive about buying direct again.

good to know, I'll just have reasonable expectations if I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MbL_BY0IFs

actual sample and hold at video rates is a not really a solved problem as far as I can tell (excluding the mentioned MemPal which is an absolutely sick but unobtanium 32 frame buffer in eurorack format) but I am pretty happy with the results here and I think one of the synth lanes on my keystep is now dedicated to video transitions.

In additon to freeze, can do cut, fade, PIP, etc.

I am sure LZX has a new frame buffer solution in mind but their pipeline is long and jammed up with Chromagnons as far as I can tell.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Sonicware, being true to their name, announced the next iteration of their Liven cheap synth brand: the LIVEN MEGA Synthesis, a synth that emulates the sound chips from the original Sega Mega Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCxZZnsF6GI

For extra nerd cred, they got Yuzo Koshiro to do the preset songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZpce2q2xoc

:bisonyes:

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

minidracula posted:

I too got some T-420 units (both modular and standalone form factors) last year, along with some other LoFi Future items, after like over a year of waiting for them to be built and ship. I don't think I had everything from that order until September, if memory serves (shipped in two parts, first was somewhat earlier), and I had ordered in like, I wanna say June or July of the previous year. I've only had a little bit of time to futz around with some of the stuff since then, and while I'm nominally interested in stuff like the new T-420 Ultra High Grade module, that experience has made me more than a little apprehensive about buying direct again.

Yeah, I had a similar situation, eventually got everything I ordered but it took a long time and comms were not great. Initially received an email early in Mar saying all the components were available and it'd be shipped within 2 weeks but didn't actually ship until late July. I didn't want to pester the builder but it was hard to get updates. I'd have been fine with a "It's going to take a month or two" but the few times I enquired it was always "It'll be shipped next week".

At the same time I had a local courier who destroyed two separate eurorack modules after claiming they couldn't be delivered due to their unusual size. I'd asked for my T420 order to be sent via anyone else but when it was eventually dispatched that same courier was used. Fortunately was delivered without issue.

I believe the lofi future guy was going through some changes last year like moving house, which might explain some of the delays. Personally I'd have been happy with some realistic dates and the occasional progress updates, really hated having to chase things.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p31C6UtmVVQ

I need to set things up to record right off the mixer instead of from the projector via a webcam, but, having some fun trying to clock the Animate LFO with a eurorack clock. Also using the mixer freeze trick mentioned before, but now synchronized with kicks.

I'm starting to see how some of this poo poo ties together.

Despite the fact that the community at large has been raving about Animate for a few months, the one I got is serial #35 so I seem to have wandered into a sort of obscure part of the landscape.

We're gonna need more oscillators, and a matrix mixer @ video frequencies :allears:

My Wave Comber kit showed up so there's 240 solder points I can do next time I'm a weird combination of awake, unoccupied and sober-ish.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Which of you did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIHal4dsSw

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

The reveal for the Sonicware Mega was a no for me. Trailer with Mega Man 2 and Super Metroid references and generic "chiptune" music, Yuzo Koshiro replicas that sound like he had to use a crowbar to get them into the thing, interface with unclear sound shaping controls that suggests an unrevealed overlay. It feels like they are selling it as a geek badge instead of a genuine homage, and it will take some Ys 3/Strider/Mega Turrican/Road Rash etc demos to sell me on it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Why are there so many more early digital delay re-issues than reverbs? Or rephrased slightly, what's the prescription for my GAS, doctors?

I'm thinking of like the Korg SDD-3000, the Roland SDE-3000D that just came out, and I guess the Space Echo ones too though thats really both and neither.

I'm after just a basic-rear end Lexicon-ish room algo to always have on on a send. I don't mind extra bells and whistles but I have a Space for that which ideally I'll be freeing up from room duty (there's a decent PCM60 preset on there which is how I know what I'm after).

I considered a newer budget Lexicon but I didn't love it when I had one (not sure if this is me or the box), and of course there's the OTO stuff but that's a lot of money to sound like something cheaper. ITB I'd for sure just go Valahlla (maybe that's why there's such a paucity) or some IR hacky thing. I saw the Red Panda Context which I think is almost there except I want stereo, and the Chase Bliss thing which is great except it's freaking $700

Is there something I'm overlooking? Either new or actual vintage, I just know I'm way more interested in warm fuzzy analog stages than cool algorithms.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JamesKPolk posted:

Why are there so many more early digital delay re-issues than reverbs? Or rephrased slightly, what's the prescription for my GAS, doctors?

I'm thinking of like the Korg SDD-3000, the Roland SDE-3000D that just came out, and I guess the Space Echo ones too though thats really both and neither.

I'm after just a basic-rear end Lexicon-ish room algo to always have on on a send. I don't mind extra bells and whistles but I have a Space for that which ideally I'll be freeing up from room duty (there's a decent PCM60 preset on there which is how I know what I'm after).

I considered a newer budget Lexicon but I didn't love it when I had one (not sure if this is me or the box), and of course there's the OTO stuff but that's a lot of money to sound like something cheaper. ITB I'd for sure just go Valahlla (maybe that's why there's such a paucity) or some IR hacky thing. I saw the Red Panda Context which I think is almost there except I want stereo, and the Chase Bliss thing which is great except it's freaking $700

Is there something I'm overlooking? Either new or actual vintage, I just know I'm way more interested in warm fuzzy analog stages than cool algorithms.

If you like 90s era Warp/Artificial Intelligence at all, this box is practically required purchasing https://reverb.com/item/77288559-alesis-quadraverb-20k-bandwidth-simultaneous-digital-effects-processor-1990s-black

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't roll with pricey pedals, but for the price, I've been happy with the stereo delay and reverb pedals from Flamma
They both have an array of parameters you can tweak with the knobs, and you can save your settings with each algorithm.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

JamesKPolk posted:

Are you looking for something in a particular format, e.g., Eurorack, or just in general? Because I feel like there's options for what you're after; you already mentioned Valhalla re: plugins/ITB, and in Euro, among many other options, you could kind of replicate that with e.g., Tiptop Z-DSP...

I have Space too, and a bunch of other reverb pedals/boxen, etc., though nothing rackmount ATM, so I guess I'm curious at trying to drill down more into what you find lacking right now.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Older boss rv pedals are pretty nice in a lofi digital way

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
universal audio makes a couple lexicon inspired pedals. evermore is mono and golden is stereo and has spring and plate algos as well. not the cheapest but definitely less than a chase bliss cxm. not sure if those would check the boxes of old digital reverb since it's modelling something on the higher end of things.

i got a mainbow a couple days ago. all the video chat in the thread may have pushed me over. i've had a syntonie cvb001 for a while to mess with other video, and now i'm wondering what else i should get. might try and find a lzx cadet scaler so i can use a bunch of my audio modulation stuff more easily.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

If you like 90s era Warp/Artificial Intelligence at all, this box is practically required purchasing https://reverb.com/item/77288559-alesis-quadraverb-20k-bandwidth-simultaneous-digital-effects-processor-1990s-black

field balm posted:

Older boss rv pedals are pretty nice in a lofi digital way

Should mention I'm rocking a Quadraverb and a Midiverb 2 already. I like them as effects effects (aphex effects lol), not as spatial treatment/glue, if that makes sense? Like I wanna run stuff through them and then also dump a bit of that on my room send.

minidracula posted:

Are you looking for something in a particular format, e.g., Eurorack, or just in general? Because I feel like there's options for what you're after; you already mentioned Valhalla re: plugins/ITB, and in Euro, among many other options, you could kind of replicate that with e.g., Tiptop Z-DSP...

I have Space too, and a bunch of other reverb pedals/boxen, etc., though nothing rackmount ATM, so I guess I'm curious at trying to drill down more into what you find lacking right now.

Oh yeah that's probably important info. Looking for a desktop box ideally, rack is fine, but maybe Euro is what I want - I love those big Tiptop modules (weird 2010 nostalgia lol) and I think the smaller ones do that too for cheaper. The goal here is to process a line level mix but that's fine.

What desktop boxes do you like? Again w/ the caveat I'm looking for subtle glue rather than anything 'cool'

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

universal audio makes a couple lexicon inspired pedals. evermore is mono and golden is stereo and has spring and plate algos as well. not the cheapest but definitely less than a chase bliss cxm. not sure if those would check the boxes of old digital reverb since it's modelling something on the higher end of things.

Saw those last night... Evermore would be it if it were stereo. I'm totally down with used-to-be hi-fi lol, that's a lot of the fun of this stuff for me. (And I have my "bad" sounds covered)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

I don't roll with pricey pedals, but for the price, I've been happy with the stereo delay and reverb pedals from Flamma
They both have an array of parameters you can tweak with the knobs, and you can save your settings with each algorithm.

Could I bother you for a demo of the Flamma's Room and Hall? That's checking a lot of boxes on paper and honestly the stuff I'm after shouldn't be too difficult to get on a processor in 2024

I'm mostly with you philosophically... (I got the SDD-3000 on clearance and you can pry it from my cold dead hands)... but have been burned several times by cheap digital reverb

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Could I bother you for a demo of the Flamma's Room and Hall? That's checking a lot of boxes on paper and honestly the stuff I'm after shouldn't be too difficult to get on a processor in 2024

I'm mostly with you philosophically... (I got the SDD-3000 on clearance and you can pry it from my cold dead hands)... but have been burned several times by cheap digital reverb

Sure, I'll record some doots later and give yah a bit of a demo.

warning: mixer/recorder/unshielded rats' nest makes for a bit of a noisy recording.
https://voca.ro/1kG4Vd6a15Vy

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 9, 2024

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white

JamesKPolk posted:

Saw those last night... Evermore would be it if it were stereo. I'm totally down with used-to-be hi-fi lol, that's a lot of the fun of this stuff for me. (And I have my "bad" sounds covered)

fwiw i have the Golden and it's really great. i use the spring and plate all the time too. you can find a used one for $250ish if you're patient

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JamesKPolk posted:

Should mention I'm rocking a Quadraverb and a Midiverb 2 already. I like them as effects effects (aphex effects lol), not as spatial treatment/glue, if that makes sense? Like I wanna run stuff through them and then also dump a bit of that on my room send.

Oh yeah that's probably important info. Looking for a desktop box ideally, rack is fine, but maybe Euro is what I want - I love those big Tiptop modules (weird 2010 nostalgia lol) and I think the smaller ones do that too for cheaper. The goal here is to process a line level mix but that's fine.

What desktop boxes do you like? Again w/ the caveat I'm looking for subtle glue rather than anything 'cool'

get an ALM MFX so someone else in this thread has one too and we can talk about how much rear end it kicks. i prefer it to my H9 which was a very expensive pain in my rear end!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

H90 is :yum::retrogames:
I love the OTO bam, on paper it reads like a specialty/novelty verb à la the untouchable MVII but it really has that physical space feeling that is real but nowhere you’ve been. Plate makes me think EMT250 personally. Love it, crazy value for the price. They also added a thru mode, kills the verb but runs signal through the converters and filter.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

There's also Plateau from Valley, for the low cost of using vcv rack.
https://voca.ro/1dudXLcw1zCQ
Chronoblob2 for free as well!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

42 analog oscillator "ambient machine"

6x6 banks of Drone Oscillators controllable as banks

2 sets of VCO/LFO setups for leads

Weird-rear end Buchla-esque on-device MPE controller.

Gotta admit I want this thing but not enough for an $1800 preorder, unless $2000 falls into my lap tomorrow.

Would love to see a video of RjD or Bjork or someone equally weird just loving with one of these for like six hours straight.

5 step sequencer....??????

need to see video

MICROTONAL BRO

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dedicated joystick patch points, ooooh.
Here's some guided generative meditation
https://voca.ro/1xyj179n5uFM

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$2000 for that thing is hell no territory, don't care how big it ends up sounding.

Just buy a tempera for less than half the price or buy some granular plugins for an eighth the price.

If you gotta get that buchla weirdness an ipad running ID700 is still half as much.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

$2000 for that thing is hell no territory, don't care how big it ends up sounding.

Just buy a tempera for less than half the price or buy some granular plugins for an eighth the price.

If you gotta get that buchla weirdness an ipad running ID700 is still half as much.

:shrug: what is money. My hydrasynth cost $1400, so this is ballpark.

42 analog oscillators plus an MPE controller is, what, a $20,000 eurorack build?

I'm not gonna throw the cash at the thing, as a Not At All A Real Musician, unless I see a ton of video content that really tickles my fancy but it seems priced about like I'd expect, unless it were even more? That is, if it was priced at $999, I'd either be extremely skeptical of the quality, or I already would have ordered one :shrug:

Maybe Eurorack has broken my brain but at 1800 this seems like it needs to be stacked next to Matriach, Peak, stuff like that. My personal feeling is that I'd probably take a solar42 over either of those, if you offered me one and only one for free or cheap. My 4xXPO project is going to end up costing $12000-1600 :laugh: Also it is worth looking at the Solar 50 prototype content, since this is the production version of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXoa4K0Dbg&t=706s

Solar 42 is probably generally less broadly applicable than a matriarch let alone a peak, but for the stuff it's designed for I would hope it's blessed, and that might be enough for me, I love weird poo poo and hate money.

Wait, I'm getting an LZX TBC2 this spring, my brain is deffo broke.

On the other end of the spectrum I just unboxed a JT-4000. Content later, maybe

xzzy posted:

I already own more than the cost of this dumb thing just in granular eurorack effects :troll:

edit: 5 mins w/JT 4000 this is the most cost effective 50bux i've spent in 2 years :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 10, 2024

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Startyde posted:

H90 is :yum::retrogames:
I love the OTO bam, on paper it reads like a specialty/novelty verb à la the untouchable MVII but it really has that physical space feeling that is real but nowhere you’ve been. Plate makes me think EMT250 personally. Love it, crazy value for the price. They also added a thru mode, kills the verb but runs signal through the converters and filter.

not at all what I wanted to hear, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I've been GASing for those (well the first two) so hard since they dropped and they look almost reasonable now. maybe next studio refresh

Mr. Sharps posted:

get an ALM MFX so someone else in this thread has one too and we can talk about how much rear end it kicks. i prefer it to my H9 which was a very expensive pain in my rear end!

this looks sick too. how much tweaking can you do per-algo? my ALM experience is their stuff does 90% of what I want (and no one else is really touching) but that last 10% drives me so nuts I have to sell it

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

fwiw i have the Golden and it's really great. i use the spring and plate all the time too. you can find a used one for $250ish if you're patient

very little patience required, it turns out! I'll either love it or it will be an easy CL flip/trade @ the price I lucked into

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

There's also Plateau from Valley, for the low cost of using vcv rack.
https://voca.ro/1dudXLcw1zCQ
Chronoblob2 for free as well!

Also kinda feel like this and Valhalla on a DAW channel might do me once I finish climbing back in the box lol (thanks for all of the demos, btw! hugely helpful hearing something close to the use case, especially narrated)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I started to practice recording stuff to put on the internet in September using some volcas, a guitar and a bass. I impulse bought a beat up used electronic drum kit on a Black Friday sale last November and decided to learn drums, and have been spending pretty much all of my free time practicing them. Most of the stuff I've been recording over the last little while hasn't really been appropriate for the thread, but I did this one with the electronic drums and a Minibrute 2 because Mitri bit my hand and I couldn't play guitar or bass.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/01-09-2024a

I also used the Minibrute 2 on this. I don't know if it's appropriate for the thread, but I can't stop listening to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e956BFlFztk

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 11, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

Also kinda feel like this and Valhalla on a DAW channel might do me once I finish climbing back in the box lol (thanks for all of the demos, btw! hugely helpful hearing something close to the use case, especially narrated)

Plateau is great and I'm often annoyed there's no exact physical replica.

So, this 4ms module ..

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

not at all what I wanted to hear, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I've been GASing for those (well the first two) so hard since they dropped and they look almost reasonable now. maybe next studio refresh

:getin:
Bim is also fantastic, my favorite delay outside of an RE201.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Right on. That was fun to put together :cheersbird: