Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That is bizarre that it is state limited, but includes the four largest states by population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

sullat posted:

The IRS is piloting it's own tax filing software, you should try using it if you are able.

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file#participating-states

You have to have less than $1,500 in interest income so back to freetaxusa we go. I’ll see if my fiancée can use it I guess.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

That is bizarre that it is state limited, but includes the four largest states by population.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ad...rs-in-13-states

Looks like states that don't have income tax plus 4 which agreed to integrate into the pilot? Strange to see Arizona on there. I assumed it would be decidedly blue states.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any one weird trick to reduce my tax owed by about...$1224? Simple setup, W-2 and Standard Deduction. Just got a stock payout from the company this year that pushed my taxable way up. I have home mortgage interest, but not nearly enough to itemize (napkin math says about $7500, so I'd have to pull another $6k some of deductions out of my rear end to even match standard)

It's not a huge deal, it just sucks.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

Any one weird trick to reduce my tax owed by about...$1224? Simple setup, W-2 and Standard Deduction. Just got a stock payout from the company this year that pushed my taxable way up. I have home mortgage interest, but not nearly enough to itemize (napkin math says about $7500, so I'd have to pull another $6k some of deductions out of my rear end to even match standard)

State and Local taxes? For me, my state and local taxes plus mortgage interest is enough to go over the standard, and charitable contributions are a little more on top.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CellBlock posted:

State and Local taxes? For me, my state and local taxes plus mortgage interest is enough to go over the standard, and charitable contributions are a little more on top.

Not in the grand land of Florida, baybee!

Not sure what local taxes would be deductible, but no state income tax.

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

Deviant posted:

Not in the grand land of Florida, baybee!

Not sure what local taxes would be deductible, but no state income tax.

Property Tax or Sales Tax can count towards that deduction

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

Did you pay the taxes on that stock payout? Sounds like "not yet." This isn't extra taxes, it's just mis-estimation. You should be minimizing your tax burden annually regardless of if you owe or get a refund.

(I know this isn't what you asked, but this year make sure you run the numbers as you get the payouts, they only withhold at 22% regardless of what your end of year marginal rate winds up.)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jobert posted:

Property Tax or Sales Tax can count towards that deduction

Tried it. Still leaves me about $1000 below standard.

H110Hawk posted:

Did you pay the taxes on that stock payout? Sounds like "not yet." This isn't extra taxes, it's just mis-estimation. You should be minimizing your tax burden annually regardless of if you owe or get a refund.

(I know this isn't what you asked, but this year make sure you run the numbers as you get the payouts, they only withhold at 22% regardless of what your end of year marginal rate winds up.)

You are right that this is not what I asked. The stock is on my W2 and already worked in. I didn't say it wasn't accurate, I asked if I could weasel out of it.

I'll stop complaining about my taxes when they start going to something besides Raytheon.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Deviant posted:

Tried it. Still leaves me about $1000 below standard.

You are right that this is not what I asked. The stock is on my W2 and already worked in. I didn't say it wasn't accurate, I asked if I could weasel out of it.

Lmao good contribution to this thread

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant posted:

I didn't say it wasn't accurate, I asked if I could weasel out of it.

:colbert: I said you should always be trying to weasel out of it.

(If you find something this year that's new you should be looking back 2 years and see if you can get even more refund out of those years!)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

My main worry is missing a form entirely.

Like I doubt I would have correctly filed the correct net investment income tax if I started from a 1040.

Balls

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
(Dumb) Question time!

I got married in September of 2023. Fast forward to last week, W2's are available and my wife and I are going to file jointly for the first time. This then makes a lightbulb go off in my head realizing, "Hey, I never changed my filing status with my employer after getting married", so I log into our ADP platform and I updated my filing status to "Married filing jointly".

With that being said, for filing 2023 taxes, will I need to request a revised W2 from my employer due to being married in September and the change in filing status OR is a revised W2 not needed because I made this filing status change in 2024 and I just have to eat poo poo with 2023 filing jointly while having been noted as filing "Single" for the year?

Thanks in advance for any help/insight!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The change with your employer will adjust the withholding going forward. The status doesn't actually appear on your w2.

If you both work and earn similar amounts of money, you might want to keep the single rate, since the married one assumes only one spouse works.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Your 2023 W2's are fine, they are just a record of how much you were paid and how much tax was withheld in 2023. Your 2023 tax prep/filing will take both W2 and your new status into account to determine what you owe or are owed for 2023.

Going forward you can change your W4 withholding certificate that will adjust how much tax get withheld from your paychecks. If you and your wife are both working and make similar order of magnitude amounts then leaving them both on single is fine, and probably better than the minefield that is W4 with multiple incomes.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Just updated our W4s for this year. Excited to see how far off I end up from the estimation lol. Hopefully not as bad as the projected $6k+ I was gonna owe the feds if I didn’t make any changes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Thank you for the insights!

Guy Axlerod posted:

If you both work and earn similar amounts of money, you might want to keep the single rate, since the married one assumes only one spouse works.

I did not know or realize that the married filing status assumes only one spouse works. We both earn similar amounts...am I correct in assuming that if both of our W4's for 2024 are "Married" filing status and we file jointly for the year 2024, that we could run the risk of owing taxes because of this?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Yes, I would go as far as to say that you will owe a significant amount if you both put married on step 1 and don't do step 2.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're a DINK, there's a good chance that getting married will make your taxes go up. Congrats!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Deviant posted:

Start a small business and then deduct 100% of all your income including unrelated W2 income until after 12 years you get caught and then say “whoops I didn’t know I couldn’t do that” and then negotiate your back taxes down to 40% of what they should have been and pay a small fine.

Which based on the tax returns of the person I’m suing seems to be his plan except he hasn’t been caught yet so the rest of it is hypothetical.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Start a small business and then deduct 100% of all your income including unrelated W2 income until after 12 years you get caught and then say “whoops I didn’t know I couldn’t do that” and then negotiate your back taxes down to 40% of what they should have been and pay a small fine.

Which based on the tax returns of the person I’m suing seems to be his plan except he hasn’t been caught yet so the rest of it is hypothetical.

Don't tell the IRS until after you collect your judgement money they probably can't afford to pay both of you :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KillHour posted:

Don't tell the IRS until after you collect your judgement money

Oh believe me, I know.

He's also going to get reported to the state of California both for not paying CA income tax and for having like a dozen vehicles registered a different state despite living in CA.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KillHour posted:

If you're a DINK, there's a good chance that getting married will make your taxes go up. Congrats!

woohoo! :smithicide:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

On the other hand, literally every other aspect of being a DINK is financially awesome.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, having an interesting time with TurboTax trying to report on my vending machine situation. They didn't really have an "investment" option that made sense, so I'm listing the ~$4500 I've gotten so far as "Other self-employed income including cash, checks, etc.", and putting the $6500 I've paid into the situation so far as "Expenses". Everything has been done via check so I've got copies of that if needed, and it's showing my net as $0 so I'm not worried that it'll try to make this loss count against any of the other income or anything.

The situation was pretty easy this year, but next year if I do the same thing I'll have a few thousand in income and $0 in expenses. I don't know how long the situation will last since the guy I'm doing this with seems to be on some weird financial ground. (He's been waiting for a refinance of the house he was originally gonna flip and is now living in after he fixed it up.) I'll also have RSUs vesting and need to account for some other ETF shares I sold last week for a small profit, so I think this time next year I'm just gonna say "gently caress it" and hire an accountant.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I failed to notice a form/tax I owe, do I file an amended return? Does it depend on the time/amount? For 2018 I was supposed to pay $5.09 for this tax. I file by mailing paper, does that create a lag that affects amending?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epitope posted:

I failed to notice a form/tax I owe, do I file an amended return? Does it depend on the time/amount? For 2018 I was supposed to pay $5.09 for this tax. I file by mailing paper, does that create a lag that affects amending?

2018? What form. I don't recall any form.

Just let it go unless there is some critical reason that form needs to be there for future year reference.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

2018? What form. I don't recall any form.

Just let it go unless there is some critical reason that form needs to be there for future year reference.

The amount gets bigger in subsequent years. Grand total $780.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

On the other hand, literally every other aspect of being a DINK is financially awesome.

Yes, but you get them whether you're married or not.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Also, having an interesting time with TurboTax trying to report on my vending machine situation. They didn't really have an "investment" option that made sense, so I'm listing the ~$4500 I've gotten so far as "Other self-employed income including cash, checks, etc.", and putting the $6500 I've paid into the situation so far as "Expenses". Everything has been done via check so I've got copies of that if needed, and it's showing my net as $0 so I'm not worried that it'll try to make this loss count against any of the other income or anything.

The situation was pretty easy this year, but next year if I do the same thing I'll have a few thousand in income and $0 in expenses. I don't know how long the situation will last since the guy I'm doing this with seems to be on some weird financial ground. (He's been waiting for a refinance of the house he was originally gonna flip and is now living in after he fixed it up.) I'll also have RSUs vesting and need to account for some other ETF shares I sold last week for a small profit, so I think this time next year I'm just gonna say "gently caress it" and hire an accountant.

This should probably have gone on a Schedule C. I know that laymen like to call this kind of thing an "investment" or "passive income" but what you are doing is running a business.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Epitope posted:

The IRS is now estimating a 20 week turnaround on processing amended returns, better get started quick. They aren't joking either, my basic adjustment of dividend income from last year was received in early October and is still in processing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I looked at your earlier post and if I understand it correctly, it sounds like if all the formalities were observed you'd be a getting a K-1. Your deal looks a lot like a partnership.

You might want to talk to a professional. If you call it "Self-employed income" it implies self-employment taxes which you haven't been paying.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epitope posted:

The amount gets bigger in subsequent years. Grand total $780.

I would just go back and do last years (2022) and see what comes of it in the mail. You didn't know.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Agronox posted:

I looked at your earlier post and if I understand it correctly, it sounds like if all the formalities were observed you'd be a getting a K-1. Your deal looks a lot like a partnership.

You might want to talk to a professional. If you call it "Self-employed income" it implies self-employment taxes which you haven't been paying.

Possibly, though there's about a 0% chance my friend is organized enough to be doing all that. I'm only sure he's paying sales tax because that's processed automatically through the credit card payment system (which also sends a nightly email showing all the machine's previous day sales, which is pretty neat).

But yeah, it might be worth talking to a professional this year. If nothing else so that I'll already have someone ready for the poo poo-show that will be my 2024 taxes.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Possibly, though there's about a 0% chance my friend is organized enough to be doing all that. I'm only sure he's paying sales tax because that's processed automatically through the credit card payment system (which also sends a nightly email showing all the machine's previous day sales, which is pretty neat).

But yeah, it might be worth talking to a professional this year. If nothing else so that I'll already have someone ready for the poo poo-show that will be my 2024 taxes.

Your friend needs to hire an accountant, and you have the right to request that as an investor in the business. Just shrugging and saying its his fault isn't a defense for not recording income correctly.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

LanceHunter posted:

One thing, the sales tax is being collected but it's a good idea to make sure it's actually being remitted to the government and that sales tax returns are being filed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I would just go back and do last years (2022) and see what comes of it in the mail. You didn't know.

This does seem like it may be the best option. I tend to be fairly "boyscouty" in that I want to follow the rules, even if I could get away with it. Five amended returns is a lot of hassle though, not just for me but for them too. If they said "hey you owe this tax for previous years, here's the bill" that seems ideal.

LanceHunter posted:

But yeah, it might be worth talking to a professional this year.

I think talk with your friend too, so you two are on the same page. Is this a loan? Is it an investment? Are you a passive investor, or are you an active member of the business? If you're active, what are your roles/responsibilities/authorities?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epitope posted:

This does seem like it may be the best option. I tend to be fairly "boyscouty" in that I want to follow the rules, even if I could get away with it.

If there is one thing I learned in boy scouts it's that if the scout master didn't see it it didn't happen.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

H110Hawk posted:

If there is one thing I learned in boy scouts it's that if the scout master didn't see it it didn't happen.

Most of my Boy Scouts experience tended to be about how many things you can burn in a campfire as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
This year will be the first year I plan on paying estimated taxes to the IRS since last year I had to pay taxes. At some point this year, I will sell some stock to have long term capital gains.

I can see online that it's pretty simple and I can pay the estimated amount online. But what happens in 2025 when I'm doing my taxes, do I get a form that I input into TurboTax that shows how much estimated taxes I paid in 2024?