Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As soon as you said you were flying out to pick it up, I was going to say be careful because yeah Hyundai dealers are trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Figured I was ok with the signed documents, but yeah I severely underestimated the thuggery of Hyundai dealers.

Should have had a cancellable return flight dialled up (next time, absolutely). Haggled another 2500 off. Still mean mugging the finance guy who is trying to crack jokes.

Also, they didn't even detail the loving thing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

a few years back when i asked for $2k less sale price on a used rav4 because a toyota dealership slightly farther away had several models for less money this hyundai salesman response was to say 'ill ask my manager' and then he comes back in one minute with his manager and they both literally started raised voice raging at me about wasting their time and said with some swear words: go to the toyota dealership. which was exactly what I did immediately without saying another word to either of them

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

GD_American posted:

loving Hyundai dealers.

Signed all the paperwork on the GV70. Flew into OKC. "Let's look at your new car!"

963 miles. All the paperwork I signed (for the same VIN) said 19 miles.

Wow that’s loving lame as hell

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

:master:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I test drove a Tonale. Probably more then I want to spend on a 3rd car but I really liked it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davecrazy posted:

I test drove a Tonale. Probably more then I want to spend on a 3rd car but I really liked it.

wait don't you already own one alfa

I saw a mf doing Uber with a Tonale, pretty sure his net income per mile was well negative.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait don't you already own one alfa

I saw a mf doing Uber with a Tonale, pretty sure his net income per mile was well negative.

I was there to schedule my 10k service and the saleswoman was free so I said gently caress it and drove. I’m not super engaged about buying it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Speaking of cars you plug in and hope don't cost you weeks of warranty repairs, what are the full EVs to keep an eye on that aren't Teslas? I think 2025 is ultimately going to be the year I swap my commute go-kart Civic out of a want for ACC and my forebrain says get on a Prius list, my pituitary gland says a Mazda 3, and my heart wants a full EV in which case I want to keep an eye out this year for coupons or changing incentive structures.

I have been joking in this thread about a Mach E for 3 years now and it apparently is holding its own? Although I'm starting to feel slightly pandered to by their frunk advertising campaigns.

Proposed Budget: $70k if pressured or warranted, <$50k preferred

New or Used: New

Body Style: Full EV sedan or crossover

How will you be using the car?:
5 mi local commute. 70 mi airport commute with probably 50% chance of getting a charging spot at the airport garage which means I probably need 140mi reliable range. Extremely pleased if it can do 200mi to visit the inlaws round trip.
Purely secondary car in an already low mileage household

What aspects are most important to you?
ACC, strong preference for knob based infotainment, HUD is ideal
Need a back seat that's kid seat/booster friendly

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zedprime posted:

Speaking of cars you plug in and hope don't cost you weeks of warranty repairs, what are the full EVs to keep an eye on that aren't Teslas? I think 2025 is ultimately going to be the year I swap my commute go-kart Civic out of a want for ACC and my forebrain says get on a Prius list, my pituitary gland says a Mazda 3, and my heart wants a full EV in which case I want to keep an eye out this year for coupons or changing incentive structures.

I have been joking in this thread about a Mach E for 3 years now and it apparently is holding its own? Although I'm starting to feel slightly pandered to by their frunk advertising campaigns.

5 mi local commute. 70 mi airport commute with probably 50% chance of getting a charging spot at the airport garage which means I probably need 140mi reliable range. Extremely pleased if it can do 200mi to visit the inlaws round trip.

I don't have anything intelligent to say, but just that my local dealership in bumfuck nowhere (literally rural Kansas) has 10 Mach-Es in stock. I was actually going to ask the thread about any known problems other than hand-wringing over the name. Not that I'm in a position to buy one right now, but I'm curious.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I've had a RWD Mach E Premium with the big battery for about a month a half now. Great quality interior, I like the exterior looks, gets advertised range (close to 300 mi). I really like the infotainment and app setup. No complaints.

They're not moving because they're not price competitive with the Model 3 but I think it's a much better car.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

zedprime posted:

Bolt EUV! Get it while you can! You can probably get the Premier + Super Cruise package for 30k out the door after the tax credit changes. It a great car we just bought one but it sucks at fast charging. In good weather you can do 200 miles but if you’re blasting the AC or Heat I would get paranoid about traffic jams.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Used e-tron GT

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’m intrigued by Polestar but haven’t driven any of them. But they seem to be doing less of the (badly) reinventing the wheel “because EV” poo poo that Tesla started and everyone else is bandwagoning. Relatively normal cars that happen to be EV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

Used e-tron GT

yeah do this op

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
What's the insurance cost like in used luxury EVs?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Had a Bolt, test drove a Polestar, ended up with an Ioniq 5. Bolt/Polestar are pretty tiny, and can feel tight with car seats in the back. Hyundai ACC is fantastic, range is 250+, has all the bells and whistles you might want.

Used e-tron GT has to be pretty tempting though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Evil Robot posted:

What's the insurance cost like in used luxury EVs?
E-tron GT tempting till I quoted the insurance and it's like $150 more an month than a Mach E, which is almost but not quite double.

Not bad for something they are advertising as Porsche adjacent but not what I'm looking for.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Used e-tron GT

My BJJ coach traded in his AMG for one of these and he loves it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Plus they come in Medium Gloss Baby poo poo

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There’s someone with that exact color who parks at the gym and IRL it is even worse.

OP you should get that, never get lost in the parking lot again

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

luminalflux posted:

There’s someone with that exact color who parks at the gym and IRL it is even worse.

I was actually wondering if maybe it looked okay in person, good to know its the opposite.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How did the dealer put 1000 miles on a car ?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

euphronius posted:

Probably everyone took a ride in it, showed it off to the wife, kids, brought it home over night etc..

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dealers will sometimes keep one specific car for customer test drives which can result in one car getting a lot of miles.
Dealers send cars home overnight with people.
Dealer owners/big shots will drive them as their personal cars.

It's generally not a big deal as in most situations the warranty doesn't start until you buy it so a car with 1200 dealer miles the 36,000 BtB won't expire until 37,200 miles.

Dealers usually won't let people take home high hp/rare cars though in which case I wouldn't be likely to buy one without a major discount. I negotiated a price on a GT500 and was in the process of pulling the trigger when I realized it had a thousand miles on it. No way was I buying a 550 horsepower car that the dealer let someone beat the poo poo out of for a weekend. Literally every other GT500 I looked at had about 4 miles on it which is what it acquires moving down the assembly line and in the parking lot/onto the train/getting dealer PDId, etc.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

bird with big dick posted:

Dealers will sometimes keep one specific car for customer test drives which can result in one car getting a lot of miles.
Dealers send cars home overnight with people.
Dealer owners/big shots will drive them as their personal cars.

It's generally not a big deal as in most situations the warranty doesn't start until you buy it so a car with 1200 dealer miles the 36,000 BtB won't expire until 37,200 miles.

Dealers usually won't let people take home high hp/rare cars though in which case I wouldn't be likely to buy one without a major discount. I negotiated a price on a GT500 and was in the process of pulling the trigger when I realized it had a thousand miles on it. No way was I buying a 550 horsepower car that the dealer let someone beat the poo poo out of for a weekend. Literally every other GT500 I looked at had about 4 miles on it which is what it acquires moving down the assembly line and in the parking lot/onto the train/getting dealer PDId, etc.

That is very odd, I am used to in demand cars like that not even being offered to test drive accompanied until you have signed paperwork.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Probably everyone took a ride in it, showed it off to the wife, kids, brought it home over night etc..

It's much more likely it got used as a test drive car for people willing to put money down on inventory that's not there yet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, it was weird. After that, I immediately asked about the mileage on every single car I called on, and it was probably at least dozen cars just checking for availability and seeing what they'd do on price (I was fly and driving no matter where I bought it) and every single time for the 12 other cars they had like 4.2 or 4.6 miles on them.

They specifically said it was from a weekend test drive though. I'm guessing it was a buddy of the owner or maybe it wasn't a test drive and was just the owner/GM themselves that did it and the salesperson didn't know.

I'm not sure what it would have taken to get me to buy that specific car. I definitely wouldn't have bought it for a grand or two off. Maybe like 5 or 8 or 10 grand off.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
At this point you're buying a used car in everything but the name, might as well pay as if it was pre-owned. Just like all those unreported damage repairs before the car is registered for the first time.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
What's the best approach to finding a competitive new car loan rate? I'll start with my banks but should I be calling around to local credit unions etc? Any online tools?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

What's the best approach to finding a competitive new car loan rate? I'll start with my banks but should I be calling around to local credit unions etc? Any online tools?

Credit unions will almost always have the best rates. Dealers themselves can have lower rates for special promotions.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Once you have a favorable number from a bank or credit union, many dealers are just straight up going to match it. Probably through the same bank or credit Union. And you should let them, because it's a good negotiation tactic and everyone gets a kick back.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Nitrox posted:

Once you have a favorable number from a bank or credit union, many dealers are just straight up going to match it. Probably through the same bank or credit Union. And you should let them, because it's a good negotiation tactic and everyone gets a kick back.

I assume this won't work on Tesla correct?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's really unclear to me if Teslas have high maintenance / repair costs just to keep running or if it's just collision repair and insurance that's expensive. I feel like we're getting our first preview of cheap beater Teslas with the Hertz selloff: https://www.thedrive.com/news/ex-hertz-tesla-model-3s-cost-as-little-as-14000-would-you-buy-one

A couple years down the line when sub-$10k Teslas are all over the place, will they be an idiot trap or a decent poverty option?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

A couple years down the line when sub-$10k Teslas are all over the place, will they be an idiot trap or a decent poverty option?

I think that's going to depend not only on the model/generation (structural battery packs anyone?) but also the parts chain/aftermarket supply. Because the tesla OEM parts chain is pretty grim.

If these things get that cheap in volume it's most likely to start out as specialty breaker/junk yards that are supplying the repair parts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The indicator will probably be if they ever hit sub-10k because unless Tesla makes some very big pivots on what they consider an acceptable supply chain, they are going to hit a price floor where junkyards are chopping them for profits as insurance companies desperately try not to total Teslas for small whoopsie doodles because the part is 6+ months back ordered.

Anyway with Tesla's track record on user self service or even independent garage service, even if the parts are out there I'd still be ready to call a $10k model 3 purely disposable in case of mechanical issues.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I assume this won't work on Tesla correct?

Tesla shopping is non negotiable. I would recommend you get an insurance quote on one of those before even considering buying it.

Tesla ownership brings a number of issues that simply do not exist anywhere else. Something you do not consider until the car is already in your driveway.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm looking at a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with 56K miles for about the same price as newer models with LE and XLE trim and lower miles.

What are real life differences between these trim levels or vehicles?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure that the difference between trim levels is clearly explained on Toyota's website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

euphronius posted:

It had a toll bar code taped right below the rear view, so basically this:

wesleywillis posted:

zedprime posted:

The Cadillac Lyriq is gorgeous (if slightly smaller in real life than you'd think), and the integrated panel is one of the best I've ever seen. 300 mile range, starts at $57k.

If it was 10k cheaper, I might have bought it instead.