Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

saints gambit posted:

Legitimately, I work with the Ontario Craft Brewers and maintain a map of the breweries in the province.

I have been wondering when Lowertown was going to go under for years at this point. It's so generic that between wondering about its closure, I mostly forget about it.

It has a Keg to one side and Tucker's Marketplace to the other. That whole stretch of York Street is cursed with mediocrity aside from the Japanese Grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

saints gambit posted:

Legitimately, I work with the Ontario Craft Brewers and maintain a map of the breweries in the province.

I have been wondering when Lowertown was going to go under for years at this point. It's so generic that between wondering about its closure, I mostly forget about it.

how many are there?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMstCQxxaE

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

he should apologize. garbage coffee.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i promise we'll beat them next time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1YOdiQg-14

in conclusion the police are a land of contrasts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Worst people you know do one good thing and get pilloried for it.

Also this headline made me laugh: NDP On Track to pay off 2021 Election Debt, set to begin building campaign war chest.

Their war chest will be twelve dollars and a shoebox in the middle of the road.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wonder who's going to take over after Singh. I assume NDP leadership contests now are Yu-Gi-Oh duels where the cards are replaced with rental income statements in an effort to attract those sweet sweet (and very real) on-the-fence liberal voters

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

DaysBefore posted:

Wonder who's going to take over after Singh. I assume NDP leadership contests now are Yu-Gi-Oh duels where the cards are replaced with rental income statements in an effort to attract those sweet sweet (and very real) on-the-fence liberal voters

mulcair will return

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I hadn't really paid attention to the pro-palestinian proestors arrested for throwing paint on an indigo store but I didn't realize what Heather Reisman was involved in:

quote:

HESEG Foundation for Lone Soldiers

[Provides] free tuition to former lone soldiers who serve in Israel's military under Israel Defense Forces.

HESEG provides money to cover tuition and living expenses for former "lone soldiers" who wish to remain in Israel to study after they've completed their military service

It's already pointed out on wikipedia, but i'm pretty sure that violates the Foreign Enlistment Act. Also supporting a foreign army is enough to qualify for charitable status. lmao

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

DaysBefore posted:

Someone who gave a standing ovation to a Nazi.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad posted:

I hadn't really paid attention to the pro-palestinian proestors arrested for throwing paint on an indigo store but I didn't realize what Heather Reisman was involved in:

It's already pointed out on wikipedia, but i'm pretty sure that violates the Foreign Enlistment Act. Also supporting a foreign army is enough to qualify for charitable status. lmao

Sure it violates it but they volunteer for the good guys so it's okay. I can't imagine many of the 20,000 Canadians who joined the US Army to go do some My Lai's during Vietnam got charged

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I've read that over the years she's given $100M to this effort she and her husband set up to entice mercenaries to join the IDF, and in return the Canadian taxpayer has subsidized them with $40M in charitable contribution tax incentives.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I've been trying to find a video of that goofy slogan Mulcair used on the campaign trail. It was a rhyme, something like "self care, health care, Mulcair!" but even dumber than that. Tya if you know what I'm talking about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DaysBefore posted:

I'd probably guess it would be between Ashton, Blaikie or the Bowl Of Rice. I can't see Julian or Angus making a go at it.

Karach posted:

I've been trying to find a video of that goofy slogan Mulcair used on the campaign trail. It was a rhyme, something like "self care, health care, Mulcair!" but even dumber than that. Tya if you know what I'm talking about

Dunno if I can find a clip but if you go to the 2015 episode of Last Week Tonight where John Oliver discusses the Canadian federal election he plays that exact clip of Angry Tom.

It's somewhere in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ckcTSYu8

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Jan 8, 2024

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arc Hammer posted:

Dunno if I can find a clip but if you go to the 2015 episode of Last Week Tonight where John Oliver discusses the Canadian federal election he plays that exact clip of Angry Tom.

You've scratched an itch I've had for ages. Thank you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ckcTSYu8&pp=ygUdTGFzdCB3ZWVrIHRvbmlnaHQgMjAxNSBjYW5hZGE%3D

Starts at 3:42

Health care, child care, pharmacare. *grinning, pointing at the crowd like hell yeah here it comes* Mulcair

Beautiful. We're always sending our best.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Eh, it would get boring fast, everyone just played Blue Eyes White Fascist and applauds.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
thomas dontcair

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd probably guess it would be between Ashton, Blaikie or the Bowl Of Rice. I can't see Julian or Angus making a go at it.

I think Matthew Green will take a stab at it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I've read that over the years she's given $100M to this effort she and her husband set up to entice mercenaries to join the IDF, and in return the Canadian taxpayer has subsidized them with $40M in charitable contribution tax incentives.

:canada:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Normy posted:

I think Matthew Green will take a stab at it.

Definitely the best possible option in the caucus (by some margin). He'll be facing a lot of headwinds, I expect Marit Stiles will have it out for him and will have a huge amount of influence of the party at that particular moment in time.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Karach posted:

You've scratched an itch I've had for ages. Thank you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ckcTSYu8&pp=ygUdTGFzdCB3ZWVrIHRvbmlnaHQgMjAxNSBjYW5hZGE%3D

Starts at 3:42

Health care, child care, pharmacare. *grinning, pointing at the crowd like hell yeah here it comes* Mulcair

Beautiful. We're always sending our best.

oh god i forgot about his dumb smug grin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DynamicSloth posted:

Definitely the best possible option in the caucus (by some margin). He'll be facing a lot of headwinds, I expect Marit Stiles will have it out for him and will have a huge amount of influence of the party at that particular moment in time.

Stiles and the rest of the ONDP can go gently caress themselves for how they treated Jama.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

"when you list all the broken institutions, put a little rhyme next to each one. Canada likes rhymes."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

Throw the book at them under the Foreign Enlistment Act for recruiting for a foreign military on Canadian soil.

Would it just take one local cop to make that arrests or would the RCMP be responsible for arresting some of the LPCs biggest donors? Because I can see one happening but not the other.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I was already trying to put together

healthcare, childcare, genocidaire

before reading

Karach posted:

so :hf:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Throw the book at them under the Foreign Enlistment Act for recruiting for a foreign military on Canadian soil.

Would it just take one local cop to make that arrests or would the RCMP be responsible for arresting some of the LPCs biggest donors? Because I can see one happening but not the other.

I'm not sure it would apply since technically they aren't recruiting, just rewarding people who've already signed up, and they aren't doing it on Canadian soil or targeting Canadian citizens in particular (I've read that the large majority of lone soldiers either come from the US or from former Soviet states). You can bet that if some cop was insane enough to make that arrest, Canada's best lawyers would forge an airtight case that rewarding people for service isn't technically the same thing as recruiting them to serve.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Stiles and the rest of the ONDP can go gently caress themselves for how they treated Jama.

Of course, I just meant they'll still be there if Singh gets shitcanned after the next Federal election because they're not going to face their own ignominious electoral drubbing until 2026.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

We need a loving decent left wing party, I swear to god

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Between the two communist parties they almost field enoygh candidates for every riding. Can't remember which one is fail and which is based though

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

PhilippAchtel posted:

We need a loving decent left wing party, I swear to god

been saying this

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the small business owner bailout is coming

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/restaurants-canada-asks-ottawa-for-last-minute-ceba-extension-1.2019322

not being able to pay back $40,000 of a $60,000 interest free loan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favourite "mom and pop" restaurants are already gone so

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's too bad that we'll never get CERB again, even though it worked and was popular. Probably because it worked and was popular.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Arc Hammer posted:

My favourite "mom and pop" restaurants are already gone so

:(

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Dreylad posted:

the small business owner bailout is coming

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/restaurants-canada-asks-ottawa-for-last-minute-ceba-extension-1.2019322

not being able to pay back $40,000 of a $60,000 interest free loan.

Me talking to my landlord about not paying rent for the last 5 months "it's just an arbitrary deadline bro"

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

A restaurant staffed exclusively by lunchlady Doris clones

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i hated the weird revival attempt, zellers sliders???

zellers family restaurant was all about cheap rear end large food, gimme that hot hamburg on scratched up plain white ceramic plates. ideally you can hear the lighting hum over the radio music

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Just go to Ikea if that's what you want

It's better than Zellers ever was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cerepol posted:

i hated the weird revival attempt, zellers sliders???

zellers family restaurant was all about cheap rear end large food, gimme that hot hamburg on scratched up plain white ceramic plates. ideally you can hear the lighting hum over the radio music

it was ridiculously contrived nostalgia from a bunch of people who were neither nostalgic for or even familiar with the thing they were trying to recreate

hey, remember being poor in the 90s and eating lovely cafeteria food when you got new clothes a couple times a year? HBC Brands®™ remembers!