Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was just rereading the last page, and I don't want to make a big thing of it, but a lot of what people think the Spanish did to the Jews is more or less the legacy of later Dutch propaganda, popularized through woodcuts and pamphlets during their own conflicts with Spain, and adopted in English as part of the Glorious Revolution.

The Black Legend bleeds into pretty much all English language popular history about the Early Modern Era, the Inquisition witch burnings and the program to convert or expel Jews and Moors after the seizure of Grenada. Prior to the fall of Grenada, for example, the Spanish crown promoted Jewish colonization of the border regions with the Moorish states, creating the mercantile infrastructure needed to provision armies in those days and so allowing Spanish military power to project further into Iberia, and that direct crown investment was a large reason for the wealth of the Jewish community during the period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

:wth:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Once again I lift my boot and find the Dutch scurrying away

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sancho Banana posted:

"Due to the threat of the Houthis, the Chinese shipping company Cosco has stopped all deliveries to Israel."

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1743944335207371025?t=P6Wy491FNCM3WTPXXzULfQ&s=19

lol

Lukeycoon posted:

https://twitter.com/revolutionaryem/status/1743847779284250974

Interview with a Houthi representative that illustrates this point.

From the final translated clip in the twitter thread:

BBC Interviewer: "Many are commenting and political analysts are saying that you all want to revive your "weak popularity" inside of Yemen. That this is a publicity stunt to better your image, so that you can look like some sort of "sacred fighters" against Israel."

Mohammed Ali Al-Houthi: "Whoever says that we are doing this to boost our 'popularity' they can go ahead and do the same so they can boost theirs. This matter isn't about elections, we mobilized against this enemy from a standpoint of faith and religious [obligation]. Whoever says we don't have legitimacy, if we didn't have it we wouldn't have been able to confront 17 countries including Britain, America, Saudi, and UAE, and other coalition countries."

loving based

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

this is what he's been preparing for his entire adult life ain't it. Norm Finkestein training montage coming soon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

if a champion athlete was found to have extensively used houthi nasheed in their workout music mix, that would basically count as doping and disqualify them right?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Baghdad Bob moment

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1744446039224967587

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's funny that this seems like a work because it's a two camera interview set up with call of duty music added to the edited sequence in post, but also if it is it completely undercuts the mission accomplished message

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I was just rereading the last page, and I don't want to make a big thing of it, but a lot of what people think the Spanish did to the Jews is more or less the legacy of later Dutch propaganda, popularized through woodcuts and pamphlets during their own conflicts with Spain, and adopted in English as part of the Glorious Revolution.

The Black Legend bleeds into pretty much all English language popular history about the Early Modern Era, the Inquisition witch burnings and the program to convert or expel Jews and Moors after the seizure of Grenada. Prior to the fall of Grenada, for example, the Spanish crown promoted Jewish colonization of the border regions with the Moorish states, creating the mercantile infrastructure needed to provision armies in those days and so allowing Spanish military power to project further into Iberia, and that direct crown investment was a large reason for the wealth of the Jewish community during the period.

I'll eat my burger sixer if this is going off-topic but I've read that but I've also seen arguments that The Black Legend also applies to the Spanish treatment of indigenous people and there's just no way that's true, Spanish priests at the time were writing about conquistador atrocities.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

exmarx posted:

the president of the icj is an amerikan who worked at the state department for her whole career lol

her term ends sometime this year so a new president should overhear at least some of the case

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hamas started an official twitter account and within an hour it got almost two hundred thousand followers before twitter suspended it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

hamas started an official twitter account and within an hour it got almost two hundred thousand followers before twitter suspended it

even ISIS got to keep their accounts for a while didn't they lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

I'll eat my burger sixer if this is going off-topic but I've read that but I've also seen arguments that The Black Legend also applies to the Spanish treatment of indigenous people and there's just no way that's true, Spanish priests at the time were writing about conquistador atrocities.

Well, I think there's a way to tie it to the thread.

We have seen Israel deploy atrocity propaganda pretty much non-stop, and respond to any reporting on their own atrocities as blood libel.

It's reasonable, and of course there is evidence that, the Spanish committed atrocities in their various wars with the Moors, Amerindians, and the Dutch. It's also reasonable to believe that the most media savvy of these, the Dutch, exaggerated and propagated these atrocities as part of their own conflicts.

So, in 500 years, it's entirely possible, if Israel "wins", that "everybody knows" 4000 babies were beheaded by Hamas, and whenever someone does something unfair they're compared to Hamas, the people to shot people with Hellfire missiles just for dancing, and in fact massacred a whole peace festival from their Apache helicopters for playing music.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Bring them back Elon

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Dreylad posted:

even ISIS got to keep their accounts for a while didn't they lol

ISIS is CIA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

Bring them back Elon

What was the reason for suspending them? Israel and IDF twitter accounts show violence constantly, and post about wanting to genocide whole groups of people, and nothing is done about that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think the best thing we could do for the war effort would be to send an embedded journalist over to the idf and edit in animal and fart noises and yakety sax into the footage before releasing it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

e: nm not worth it

DAD LOST MY IPOD has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jan 9, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I said come in! posted:

What was the reason for suspending them? Israel and IDF twitter accounts show violence constantly, and post about wanting to genocide whole groups of people, and nothing is done about that.

alot of zionists work in silicon valley

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Psychology is bourgeois bullshit.

lmao

for real, there's a lot of Marxism using contemporary psychoanalysis as the way to structure material subjectivity, and it is pretty cool, it is the other direction of "theory experience", from the subjective into the social (or structural). In terms of that other direction, I am personally acquainted with Marxist psychotherapists and they are some of the best professionals not only I know but also pretty much of the entire state.

And to be clear, it's a rather complicated affair to talk about things in terms of mass psychology because that takes out a lot of the domain of subjectivity - what good psychology should be concerned anyway - into the domain of social structure. To attribute dysfunctional behavior to a very large group of people is to eliminate the element of responsibility and agency of the representatives of their power structures, not to mention that it is colonial as gently caress in mentality: to have an analytic diagnosis means putting this group into analysis, which would only be possible if dealing with a gestalt mind, which lol and furthermore lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Generational trauma sounds like bullshit. Of course liberals love it as an explanation

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Frosted Flake posted:

I think your main mistake here is referring to "the Spanish crown." firstly, there was no united Spain at this time; we're talking about castile and, later aragon. we're also talking about three different rulerships: the reigns of John II and Henry IV were still part of the relative "convivencia." the "black legend" was born with their successor: Isabella of Castile.

was there protestant propaganda? definitely. dutchmen with their printing presses and poo poo. but the spanish crown expelled the jews and muslims from spain after decades of torture. there's nothing legendary about it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so did a bunch of other european countries.

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

https://x.com/BTnewsroom/status/1744529285640040912#m

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

doing god's work

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

^both can be true

That's why we gotta understand that they choose to be that way and there's no controlling or bargaining with them. I guess I'm saying it's why the two state solution is so dead and thousands more people will have to die to achieve real peace, and it sucks. Their insular victim-warrior culture is trying to close around them but it's not stronger than reality, which is that Hamas has defeated them and their enemies are stronger than ever. Western liberals are going through the same thing, actually, but differently.

It's just real loving grim.

E: the moron afrikaners in my family tree backed down grumbling like little bitches and didn't even leave. Trying to pin down what makes Israelis different.

Israelis are only just now reaching the level of finding out that that truck load of white guys that decided to shoot up Bophuthatswana experienced

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/BonnieGlaser/status/1744028495129313707

making china sound more based than it is :china:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

The fear of an oppressed class of people rising up and taking revenge is commonplace throughout history. It's not like Israelis are operating out of a deep seeded traumatic memory. Some of these people have lived in the First World all their lives. What makes Israelis especially vicious is that they're a settler society. They chose to move in and steal the lands of the people they're oppressing. This is an existential issue for them because they live among the people they're dispossessing. In colonial terms it's like a knife fight.

The more savage they act the more savagery they believe there'll be in kind. This withdrawal is bringing that fear front and center in their minds, because the danger is far from passing. They haven't even put a dent in it.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Al-Saqr posted:

alot of zionists work in silicon valley

Elon being scared of being called antisemitic again lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lord of Pie posted:

Israelis are only just now reaching the level of finding out that that truck load of white guys that decided to shoot up Bophuthatswana experienced

ken we git some help for him plees, he's just woonded

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://x.com/censoredmen/status/1744538396796555423?s=46

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
with all this dti I forgot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8lhFbtvE4

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
the israelis believe they are spartans and the palestinians are helots

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

man if China is actually providing aid as a deliberate CPC policy move they got one hell of an incredible operation going

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

im willing to bet its more that the weapons that theyre smuggling in just happen to be chinese AK's and not actual chinese policy so all the ukraine flag wierdos are trying to make it a thing.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Psychology is bourgeois bullshit.

There are therapists that are good, but the problem is there are a whole lot more that are loving terrible, and I sure as gently caress wouldn't trust any therapist coming out of Israel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OctaMurk posted:

the israelis believe they are spartans and the palestinians are helots

The spartans considered the helots useful though

israelis are now too racist to even want to exploit palestineans

Clip-On Fedora posted:

There are therapists that are good, but the problem is there are a whole lot more that are loving terrible, and I sure as gently caress wouldn't trust any therapist coming out of Israel.

Been said elsewhere that the problem is a ton of psychs especially older ones basically spent their education learning pseudoscience and not many have necessarily kept up since then.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
this is a p good video on the basics of apartheid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7d4Qa8M6I

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

General in a palm frond suit walking in with a coconut radio on his ear and sitting down at a desk made from two rocks and a piece of driftwood

Bamboo Pentagon budget all tied up in rock hammers and toilet seats made from curved tree branches

budget not found, spent it all on tunnel kitchens

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1328202207972323328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Danann posted:

budget not found, spent it all on tunnel kitchens

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1328202207972323328

holy loving poo poo