Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ELTON JOHN posted:

if u poo poo your pants in the game...u poo poo your pants in real life...

The augmented reality tie in we needed

See you in the verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Worf posted:

Mongaliens

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty much just the Skarrj from Unreal, right?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Yes but Chris called them Vanduls because he's the most original thinker this century

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dewgy posted:

I had a…discussion? With someone on Discord the other day who insisted that since SQ42 is “done” then that means that SC itself is going to be done soon, because they’re one and the same. When I asked for a source, he said I needed to watch six days worth of CGI interviews to understand.

We ended up changing the subject entirely at that point.

Lmao, also I don't believe for a second that Squadron 42 is anywhere near finished. Maybe they finished the mess hall scene, but most likely Croberts is still working on mocapping immersion animations of people leaning against railings and eating breakfast

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I believe they’ve finished what is called the game

But yes ol crib will let slip at some point oh but I need to finish the 5 hours of new mocap still , and get Gary back in for his voice lines

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The most expensive animated film of all time, plus an on-rails shooter and some clubhouse space.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

I believe they’ve finished what is called the game

But yes ol crib will let slip at some point oh but I need to finish the 5 hours of new mocap still , and get Gary back in for his voice lines

By the time a game is officially released, if ever, a number of the voice actors will be long dead.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Don't forget, S42 is part one of a Multi part epic

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Don't forget, S42 is part one of a Multi part epic

Also you have to buy a new copy every time you die. This is good because immersion

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also you have to buy a new copy every time you die. This is good because immersion

this is a joke right lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Worf posted:

this is a joke right lol

It was once said somewhere by a dev in some obscure interview or something years ago, so Monocole Cat 100% repeats it as gospel now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i hope its true and i want them to release that product ASAP, reading peoples tears/ watching their streams as they die to dumb bullshit and shell out another $40 or w/e sounds like the best entertainment this game has put out in years

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Has tony zzzzZZzzzz finished the amazing quantum ai yet ?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

I don't think he even works there anymore, haven't heard from him in years and he was a no show at CitCon.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Blue On Blue posted:

It's working perfectly in its own immaculate universe

quote:

The Quanta simulation is in a good place at the moment but lives in a closed system.

We want the sim to make a difference to your play experience and so for the moment, have paused its development in favor of developing the gameplay systems the game needs for the sim to hook on, economy and otherwise. The server meshing work also has a very large impact on how the sim communicates with the game state and so have thus prioritized other work in the short term until we can come around and make the simulation affect live gameplay and make a difference like we intended since the beginning.

We will post more when we have more concrete information to share!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the Quanta simulation is so realistic it took over the closed system and CIG is doing everything in their power to keep it contained for if it ever leaks into the wider internet it will take over humanity and we will all be living in The 'Verse.

010824_4
Jan 8, 2024
anytime today on this fist fight leaking into Actual Reality

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wasn't that rather a thing some Kickstarter MMOs were talking about at the time, like that Chronicles of Elyria thing that (like Star Citizen) still hasn't gotten anywhere much?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bofast posted:

Wasn't that rather a thing some Kickstarter MMOs were talking about at the time, like that Chronicles of Elyria thing that (like Star Citizen) still hasn't gotten anywhere much?

they probably realized they could get a lot more money up front before ppl experienced the disappointment of there being a thing to be disappointed over

like the amount of ppl that they could bilk $40+$40 out of is greater without releasing their lovely moviegame than it would be if they released it and ppl realized it wasnt worth it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

People want permadeath in MMOs until they actually play a permadeath MMO. I think the only surviving one of any note is Realm of the Mad God and that's such a unique case in so many ways that you can barely use it as an example.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Worf posted:

this is a joke right lol

Monocle Cat has said that if you want to play through the story again, you have to buy another copy, as that character is tied to background for the universe. Or something. You can't just play again, as all those decisions have been made and insert 12 paragraphs on why.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Didn't he say he learned that based on a chat he had with a developer at a bar citizen, or am I thinking of something else? I'd be really curious to see the actual origin of that particular factoid.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
there's certainly nothing stopping you from buying a new copy of the game for each playthrough

... aside from it not existing, of course

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

People want permadeath in MMOs until they actually play a permadeath MMO. I think the only surviving one of any note is Realm of the Mad God and that's such a unique case in so many ways that you can barely use it as an example.

WoW has permadeath servrs and watching people die is one of my new youtube pastimes

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Actually I might have misremembered, I don't think he said the game has permadeath requiring a new copy of the game, but rather you can only play through and finish the game ONCE before requiring a new copy. I.E., you will respawn at a checkpoint if you die, but you can never load an earlier checkpoint or start a new game except for buying a new copy. I'd need to see a quote from him where he mentions it to confirm, though, and I'm not doing the psychic damage of digging through MC posts.

Which is impossible and absurd for a variety of reasons, of course. What if you hit a game breaking bug in your current save, for instance.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just having a normal death in Everquest in 2001 was a loving nightmare. I've had many hours long, even having to log out and get back at it the next day, corpse runs.

As many of you have mentioned before, none of these people have played game in decades.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Just having a normal death in Everquest in 2001 was a loving nightmare. I've had many hours long, even having to log out and get back at it the next day, corpse runs.

As many of you have mentioned before, none of these people have played game in decades.

Bind yourself in uguk at the entrance to lguk, go out for a smoke break. Get trained, come back to 8 of your corpses.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

vaginite posted:

Bind yourself in uguk at the entrance to lguk, go out for a smoke break. Get trained, come back to 8 of your corpses.

If I recall, only one of your corpses holds your gear and you lose experience, permanently, each time you die. So if you say, fall of the boat and die on the literally 30 minute non-stop boring trip from the south to the northern human town (freeport?), then you're hosed. Very very badly.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It sounds like all of these people are trying to stick it to players that they feel play games the wrong way, except they’ve never actually encountered any other players in any other games because they don’t play games.

Like they want to punish people that they’ve never met, and that probably don’t exist, which is fair because the game that they want to use to do it also doesn’t exist

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

Like they want to punish people that they’ve never met, and that probably don’t exist

Yeah, this game 100% draws right wing folks.

010824_7
Jan 9, 2024
"All is lost"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

010824_7 posted:

"All is lost"

stop giving jeffrey money

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

stop giving jeffrey money

That dude has at the VERY least paid for a couple of months of forum costs. I'll allow it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

If I recall, only one of your corpses holds your gear and you lose experience, permanently, each time you die. So if you say, fall of the boat and die on the literally 30 minute non-stop boring trip from the south to the northern human town (freeport?), then you're hosed. Very very badly.

In OG if you died you respawned without any gear, all your gear was on your corpse. You had 24 hours logged in time and 7 days overall to get to your corpse and loot it or it decayed. An empty corpse decayed faster but I don't remember the timing.

If bound (where you respawn) somewhere dangerous, or could become dangerous (such as a zone-in), you could respawn and die continuously if afk. And yeah you lost a ton of XP, about a 1/10th of a level. Given that a good 8 hours in an efficient group would get you like half a level, dying a bunch of times was devastating.

You could get a cleric to res each of your corpses for some XP recovery but it was difficult to find, so you'd sit there with your 8 corpses and try to find a cleric willing to come sit there with you and cast res over and over for 20 minutes (given mana regen time), or the empty ones would poof in a short amount of time, taking any chance at XP recovery with them.

Also if you got to your corpse with gear, and looted it without leaving anything on it, it'd disappear along with your chance to get it resurrected and recover hours of exp. Also if you accidentally right-clicked one of your empty corpses on accident it'd disappear.

EQ was rough. It was in a good market share position but stuff like led to it being abandoned en masse once WoW came along. I do kinda miss it though, it was pre-wiki and the only game I ever played where I had tons of friends because you had to.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

It sounds like all of these people are trying to stick it to players that they feel play games the wrong way, except they’ve never actually encountered any other players in any other games because they don’t play games.

Like they want to punish people that they’ve never met, and that probably don’t exist, which is fair because the game that they want to use to do it also doesn’t exist

Everyone who complains about SC being a tedious chore with massive time syncs is an impatient CoD/Fortnite gamer whose addicted to instant gratification and maybe this game isn't for you.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if ur having fun in this game ur doing it wrong

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Honestly, one of, if not the best gaming experiences in my entire life. And I never want to go back to it. :)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Honestly, one of, if not the best gaming experiences in my entire life. And I never want to go back to it. :)

they have EQ classic servers dont they

just waiting for u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Actually I might have misremembered, I don't think he said the game has permadeath requiring a new copy of the game, but rather you can only play through and finish the game ONCE before requiring a new copy. I.E., you will respawn at a checkpoint if you die, but you can never load an earlier checkpoint or start a new game except for buying a new copy. I'd need to see a quote from him where he mentions it to confirm, though, and I'm not doing the psychic damage of digging through MC posts.

Which is impossible and absurd for a variety of reasons, of course. What if you hit a game breaking bug in your current save, for instance.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

They have discussed this in the early days. As pointed out above it is an objective based campaign set within an open world which is run 'in real time' (you'll notice that every time they show Squadron 42 excerpts there is always a time and location given), since you are under military orders there would be certain restrictions and there is a brig you could be sent to for insubordination - however there is off duty time, during that off duty time you'll have some freedom to do what you want to do. Your first experience of that 'Living Breathing Universe' they have always talked about will be in Squadron 42.

You will be making choices, and those choices will have effects later down the line during the whole life of your character. Everything you do is timestamped on your personal history log which is unique to you.

The 'lieutenant' problem (ie you are always referred to by your rank not your name) mentioned in the vertical slice is because you aren't playing a named character, you are playing your created character fulfilling a role. As Jared has said "Squadron 42 is basically one huge dynamic mission inside the Star Citizen universe." As we know there is no 'undo' or going back in time in Star Citizen. In the vertical slice mission, rather oddly it may seem, Old Man Colton - the senior officer on the sortie, says 'your choice' when choosing how to go about an objective.

Chris has said that they had to give careful thought to where and how they implement resets (or game save points), this is because you aren't going to be allowed to go back and check out each different available choice with the same character - they have discussed selling character slots without the full game package. So basically if you want to explore other options than those your character chooses in Squadron 42 you'll have to restart from the beginning with a new character, which you can then choose to continue for the life of that character. That's why you are permitted to purchase multiple copies of Squadron 42 in the store.

Following on from what some are mentioning as optional mission objectives I know from a conversation with Erin Roberts in 2015 and a later Q&A with Chris Roberts on SC Live that anything you do in Squadron 42 will / may have consequences not in only Squadron 42 but also in Star Citizen. Your collective possessions, training and character history go with you when you retire your Squadron 42 character to the PU. It is a continuation of the life of your Squadron 42 created character.

So... yes.. all indications are that Squadron 42 will not be an 'on rails' game - Chris has actually stated it won't be an 'on rails' game. In this respect it is somewhat like the Hitman approach - you have objectives, but how you go about those objectives is up to you.