Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's still incredibly amusing to me that in Canada where we had a similar set of circumstances, the unrest was brought to an end basically instantly and decisively the moment they brought in French cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's still incredibly amusing to me that in Canada where we had a similar set of circumstances, the unrest was brought to an end basically instantly and decisively the moment they brought in French cops.

Les Boubou Macoutes

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1744423889659215875

quote:

Police and fire trucks showed up Sunday night at the house of Tanya Chutkan, the federal judge overseeing former President Donald Trump’s election interference case after she appeared to be the target of an attempted "swatting" attack.

Police confirmed to NBC News that they responded to false reports of a shooting at a house that a witness identified as Chutkan's home. A law enforcement official also confirmed that it was Chutkan’s home and that she was home when police arrived at her residence.

A police report obtained by NBC News said that officers with the Metropolitan Police Department responded to a call just after 10 p.m. ET that referenced a shooting that occurred at the location. Once authorities arrived at the scene, an unnamed subject said she "was not injured and that there was no one in her home."

Police "determined no shooting took place," a police spokesperson told NBC News. It's unclear from where or from whom the call to emergency services originated.
One weird trick to make Roberts recruiting a fifth easier - Justices hate it.

I'm astounded that this was possible, given the extreme likelihood Chutkan would be targeted by the type of legitimate threats that make this sort of attack all the more dangerous.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Fuschia tude posted:

Mueller's finding was "Yes, here's 10 different ways Trump obstructed justice, preventing us from even determining whether he was personally involved in the underlying crime(s), plus a few more for good measure. Now it's up to Congress to impeach. I cannot personally say the president should be prosecuted because the law and the order creating my position legally bars me from doing so." The problem was Barr's press release about its findings that literally edited them to imply he reached the opposite conclusions of what he actually did, and Congress's reaction to it, not what Mueller said.
IMO the most unfortunate aspect was not Congress's reaction to the Barr statement, but the media's. Instant pure "Welp I guess there's nothing there, otherwise why would Barr say this?" helplessness by the press.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1744423889659215875

One weird trick to make Roberts recruiting a fifth easier - Justices hate it.

I'm astounded that this was possible, given the extreme likelihood Chutkan would be targeted by the type of legitimate threats that make this sort of attack all the more dangerous.

Don't worry, I've been assured that trump would never repeatedly name and threaten a federal judge in the 'won't someone rid me of this meddlesome judge' fashion.

I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner, though I agree it is wild it happened at all. Most departments have a swatting list for this exact sort of situation. That Chutkan wasn't put on it is crazy.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I think Mueller pretty much needed to go nuclear on the chain of command in order for that to cut the media narrative and make the conclusions very clear about what Trump had done. He didn't have the courage or wherewithal to do that and instead looked really bewildered when put in front of a Congress begging for him to just lay it all out plain and clear.

Technically it wasn't his place to go over Barr's machinations and lay out in plain wording that Trump had obstructed justice, but that's what the situation called for. He didn't rise to the occasion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Caros posted:

Don't worry, I've been assured that trump would never repeatedly name and threaten a federal judge in the 'won't someone rid me of this meddlesome judge' fashion.

I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner, though I agree it is wild it happened at all. Most departments have a swatting list for this exact sort of situation. That Chutkan wasn't put on it is crazy.

I guarantee you this will be called a false flag antifa BLM fed pedo conspiracy by the end of today, assuming it hasn't already happened.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Caros posted:

None of the arguments against a gag (or against the broad gag called for ITT and even, shamefully, by Justice) are that Trump won't go meddlesome priest or highlight people he wants his base to target in rhetorical and more direct senses.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Eric Cantonese posted:

He didn't rise to the occasion.
I admit, I was caught up in the fever. Was cathartic to burn my "Mueller Time" shirt when he screwed the pooch so publicly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Caros posted:

I suspect she's not because there's a legitimate chance some y'all-queda idiot tries to kill her to delay the trial.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1744484222243364931?s=20

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Liquid Communism posted:

I suspect she's not because there's a legitimate chance some y'all-queda idiot tries to kill her to delay the trial.
If that's the case, on the plus side SWAT probably has a good idea of who specifically not to kill when answering the calls to her house, there has to be some kind of understanding that if this judge dies that's it for the police department

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Islamic Shock posted:

If that's the case, on the plus side SWAT probably has a good idea of who specifically not to kill when answering the calls to her house, there has to be some kind of understanding that if this judge dies that's it for the police department

I would hope the police chief would have reached out to her preemptively to work out some procedures for the fairly foreseeable problems presented here, given how high profile this is.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Spoiler: they cite no witnesses or evidence and are operating on a single unnamed source.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
The lawyers chatting about it on Twitter suggest that they've gotten a copy of a the DA's sealed divorce records and that's where this is coming from. They're asking the record be unsealed before they drop details.

https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1744501378578358514?s=20

https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1744506269833003128?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The only thing actually alleged there is "an ongoing, personal relationship."

Trump has a history of accusing literally everyone who takes any legal action against him of doing so for corrupt reasons. Remember the law clerk in the new york case.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
if this works i'm switching to team trump. if this works trump obviously has some sort of divine help. might actually have a guardian angel, the only person in the entire world. if this works i'll never oppose saint trump again. it's just not worth risking damnation

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If I understand correctly, the governor would have to appoint a new DA. There are plenty who would be happy to tank the case, but Kemp and Trump are blood enemies at this point. Why wouldn't Kemp just appoint someone else who would continue the case?

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
We live in hell so trump is gonna skate.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Even if it gets re-posted with another DA the case is functionally dead in terms of seeing the light of day before the election.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How did Trump get a competent lawyer?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

gregday posted:

The stay order means Jack Smith must be frozen in suspended animation or else that’s trying Trump in absentia.

Are we using Demolition Man rules? What skills is he being taught while frozen?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Fifteen of Many posted:

The lawyers chatting about it on Twitter suggest that they've gotten a copy of a the DA's sealed divorce records and that's where this is coming from. They're asking the record be unsealed before they drop details.

https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1744501378578358514?s=20

https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1744506269833003128?s=20

So is this it? The most blatant case of voter fraud and forgery gets dropped because the DA had an improper relationship with a prosecutor. Trump gets off scot-free because of this?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

volts5000 posted:

So is this it? The most blatant case of voter fraud and forgery gets dropped because the DA had an improper relationship with a prosecutor. Trump gets off scot-free because of this?

But Ashleigh Merchant gets her profile raised and the DA's ex-husband somehow got a couple bucks. Who's to say what's important, really?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just got my Adderall prescription filled so I can once again meaningfully interact with this thread. Did I miss all the ICP jokes?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wait. I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. The person in charge of the most important prosecution in our lifetimes is alleged to have given the case to someone she was having sex with, and the person alleging this is likely her ex husband? Are you loving serious right now?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How the hell did Trump manage to hire a competent attorney

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

KillHour posted:

Wait. I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. The person in charge of the most important prosecution in our lifetimes is alleged to have given the case to someone she was having sex with, and the person alleging this is likely her ex husband? Are you loving serious right now?

I think there’s a fair argument that the federal case is more important, but yeah, pretty much.

2020-motherfucking-4, yo. Strap in.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

I'm betting it's nothing and just more Trump desperation.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

I'm betting it's nothing and just more Trump desperation.

https://twitter.com/TamarHallerman/status/1744486283492073976

I'm curious. I hope Willis didn't do something stupid.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A bunch of y'all are being awfully quick to take Trump at his word as trustworthy.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

A bunch of y'all are being awfully quick to take Trump at his word as trustworthy.

It's still hard to imagine someone making those accusations in a filing without having the goods, but you're right. This is Trump and something about him turns' attorneys' minds into mush.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Trump won in 2016 partially because Comey announced like a week before the election he was re-opening his investigation into Hillary's emails because her assistant's husband, Anthony Weiner, was being investigated for sexting underaged girls and inexplicably had some related emails on his laptop

This wouldn't even be half as nuts as that and that already happened

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

It's not Trump, it's a codefendant

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Late Fees posted:

It's not Trump, it's a codefendant

Quoting this because everyone keeps missing it. It's possible this codefendant doesn't have moron attorneys.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think Mueller pretty much needed to go nuclear on the chain of command in order for that to cut the media narrative and make the conclusions very clear about what Trump had done. He didn't have the courage or wherewithal to do that and instead looked really bewildered when put in front of a Congress begging for him to just lay it all out plain and clear.

Technically it wasn't his place to go over Barr's machinations and lay out in plain wording that Trump had obstructed justice, but that's what the situation called for. He didn't rise to the occasion.

It had been widely reported that Mueller and Barr and their wives frequently had dinner together at the same restaurant for years.

Mueller may not be as unimpeachable here as we would like.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Giving benefit of the doubt to anyone in Trumpworld, especially in relation to these court cases, is dumb as hell.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's still hard to imagine someone making those accusations in a filing without having the goods, but you're right. This is Trump and something about him turns' attorneys' minds into mush.

That's literally how The Big Lie works. The brain says exactly what you wrote. "It can't all be true, but surely some part of it is.". See also: turning all of Nazi Germany against Jews.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

We just watched Habba and Kise put the rabbit in the hat by commenting about Engoron’s clerk rolling her eyes and then referring back to their own comments as evidence when they filed for relief.

I’ll wait until there’s more evidence that any of this is true. Just to be clear though this whole allegation could get dropped tomorrow and RWM will just keep trotting it out for the next two years whenever they mention Willis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, I'm most certainly not taking him at his word. I'm remarking at how incredibly stupid this is - either because it is false and grasping at the flimsiest of straws, or because it is true and God is the laziest loving writer in all of history.

Either way, we live in a time of immense stupidity.