Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
growing up with a genesis built character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My parents were divorced. So I had a SNES at my mom's and a Genesis at my dad's. :v: Later Dad upgraded us to a Playstation which is how I played FF7.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

growing up with a genesis built character

As in Original Character Do Not Steal pervy sonic fan art

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, our entire neighborhood was Nintendo. I saw a PSX before seeing my first Mega Drive in the wild.

Secret of Mana was my own gateway drug to RPGs. My aunt for some reason had her own SNES despite not really being into playing games, and when we were on a family visit, she went to the nearby video rental and we grabbed a couple games.

I played Secret of Mana with her until I dropped unconscious. Months later, my aunt surprised us kids with gifting us our own SNES, and then I started collecting my allowance for several months more just so I could buy Secret of Mana and finally finish it.

Our parents were pissed, since they hated video games. (We only very rarely got games out of them, and never consoles. If we wanted more, we had to work odd jobs, sell poo poo on flea markets, or save up allowance money.)

And sometimes even buying games could become a challenge! I still remember having to hunt around to get Breath of Fire II. My 12-year-old school English pronunciation collided with a bunch of German shop clerks who never even had heard of the English language, and since internet shops weren't yet an option, I had to scour nearby second-hand gaming shops until I've found the game used by chance.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Annath posted:

I've always been a little sad that I never had a SNES growing up. My parents had a Sega Genesis for some reason (they never really played it, but they had it well before I was old enough to ask). Don't get me wrong, I loved the Genesis, but it didn't have much in the way of like RPGs. We had Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic, and assorted Disney licensed games.

We didn't have cable, so I didn't even know the SNES existed until I met other kids old enough to talk about games.

I never played a Final Fantasy game til they were remade on the GBA lol.

I had a NES as a kid, but my neighbor in Alaska had a Genesis and when my parents asked if I wanted the new Nintendo I said no, I wanted the Genesis because Sonic was cool. Then we moved to Texas and my friends all had SNES with insanely cool games and I was stuck with my Genesis. I would borrow and obsessively read the latest Nintendo Power from the school library each month and lament the sick games like Chrono Trigger and Harvest Moon that I couldn't have.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We had a PS1 and an N64 in the house when I was a kid but my dad hogged the playstation to play hockey and football games so I considered it a boring grownups console and ignored it. I mostly played on Game Boy anyway

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My household was weird because we had:

Genesis
N64
Gameboy/Color
Dreamcast
Xbox
GameCube
GBA
Wii
Xbox360

I didn't own a Playstation console until I moved out and got a PS4 lol.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

abraham linksys posted:

also trying to dodge as many encounters as possible was very much how i played JRPGs as a kid (though usually that meant staying out of the tall grass in pokemon and running from a bunch of random encounters in other games). not coincidentally i was constantly underleveled in every game i played and never finished a non-pokemon JRPG until i was, uh, 27 years old

Silver Falcon posted:

Anyway I had at least cottoned by then that running from fights didn't get my any EXP, but I still had to learn a lot as I went along.

I never understood this so it's great to meet people who've done it. Why?

It seems so odd to me that you'd play an RPG an run from, arguably, the actual game part of it? Maybe it's got to do with your experience before you first engaged with an RPG?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thank God my dad was a pro gamer before my birth and he invested all in on Nintendo because sonic would've put me to sleep

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ravus Ursus posted:

It seems so odd to me that you'd play an RPG an run from, arguably, the actual game part of it? Maybe it's got to do with your experience before you first engaged with an RPG?

i've been thinking about this a bit today, and the short version was that i was interested in the story and world of a lot of rpgs, and had zero interest in the actual combat gameplay, and zero interest in learning the systems

my first console was the N64, so by the time i was renting games from blockbuster on a regular basis, people were already talking about the the idea of turn-based rpgs being passe. i'd grown up with a lot of real-time 3D games and the idea of buttoning through menus was not what i actually wanted from a gameplay perspective. i also just remember hating random encounters because it felt like they were standing between me and the rest of the game.

i have a particularly distinct memory of getting ff7 a bit after i got my ps2, because i heard it was this legendary game, playing through midgar which was cool, getting to the overworld... and putting the game down when i realized i'd have to explore the overworld with no immediately clear direction and having to deal with random encounters the whole time

nowadays i am a slightly more patient person than i was when i was 10, and also most JRPGs either have some kind of battle toggle (when i finally beat ff7 it was with the switch version that has this!), have encounters you can dodge without much penalty (yakuza 7, though like most players i did end up having to grind at the "optional" battle arena halfway through), or at least have really fast menus and more interesting combat (shoutout octopath traveler 2)

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ravus Ursus posted:

All the little enemies are preventing you from getting to the boss, and the boss is who you need to beat!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mine went:
1986: Pong, Atari 2600
1987: Odyssey 2
1989: Sega Genesis
1992: Gameboy DMG-01
1993: SNES (mine, got it for Christmas, Thanks, Dad!!)
1995: (paper route) Saturn, NES (which my mom sold for drugs. Thanks, Mom!!)
1998: (graduated and started working full time) Playstation, Game Gear
1999: N64
2000: Dreamcast, my own Genesis model 1, Sega CD 1, 32x ($120 total, LOL), Gameboy Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color
2002: Gamecube
2009: (Started working for the state) Xbox
2012: Xbox 360
2013: PS3
2018: Xbox One S
2019: PS4, Switch edit: Arcade1up blew my kids' god damned minds when they woke up and found a street fighter machine in the family room.
2020: (paid off student loans, lol) 5x Gameboy Color, 4x GBA, 2x GB Pocket
2021: Sega Nomad, PS2, Super Famicom, more game boys and handhelds. JP Saturn, ps vr.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My mom and aunt loving loved Nintendo so I had a NES and a SNES as a kid, and have had every Nintendo console since then except the DS/3DS and Wii U

Also I think I've told this story here before but I will never forgive myself for taking the family NES (once it became clear nobody cared to keep it around), with probably 10-15 games including a gold cartridge Legend of Zelda, to GameStop and trading it all in for a copy of Luigi's Mansion :negative:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I didn’t understand random encounters. The first game I really remember with random encounters was FF Mystic Quest. I thought the game had invisible enemies so I’d concoct the dumbest paths through dungeons to avoid combat. All I did was trigger more random encounters than if I had bee lined my way through the areas.

I can’t wait to watch my kid figure out games. It’s probably going to drive me insane.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Is this EU or NA Mystic Quest cause the NA one had all enemies on the field

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ok a lot of these make sense. I had the opposite experience where my first games were side scrolling best em ups and rpgs. Which meant that the first time in played a 3d action game, one of the n64 zelda's, I was stumped on getting into the castle.

The concept of walking off the path and going around the guard never occured to me, so when my cousin walked onto the green field and around the guards my tiny brain was blown away.

Imstill don't care for any non 2D Zelda's, the Oracle GB games were more my jam.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

My mom and aunt loving loved Nintendo so I had a NES and a SNES as a kid, and have had every Nintendo console since then except the DS/3DS and Wii U

Also I think I've told this story here before but I will never forgive myself for taking the family NES (once it became clear nobody cared to keep it around), with probably 10-15 games including a gold cartridge Legend of Zelda, to GameStop and trading it all in for a copy of Luigi's Mansion :negative:

I'll do you own better. My dad made me pack up the NES, SNES, and Genesis, all the games and such we (3 kids) had slowly accumulated over the years and trade them into EB games. At this point I think the ps2 was either out or a known quantity so there wasn't much value. Even better, at the time they wouldn't trade consoles out for cash, only store credit. So when it was done I had 56.15 on a gift card.

He was furious and stormed out of the mall. I was 12-13 and am absolute wreck over it. I consider it they day my innocence died.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ah, memories of living overseas - I loved video games growing up, but the only media I interacted with (aside from the games, of course) were the Nintendo Power magazines that were shipped our posting every month. Holy poo poo I got excited every time one of those things arrived and read it cover to cover, wondering how the games looked in action. I have particular memories of the coverage of Shadowrun being particularly atmospheric in nature, using serious, short sentences to describe the areas and what you had to do.

We were mostly a Nintendo household, though I remember we had a Genesis and Game Gear as well, for some reason. I don't remember when or why we got those, but they got maybe a third of the playtime the other systems did.

Edit: Oh yeah this too:

I probably created a Legend of Zelda map based on the books description (that literally had you draw a grid, label the axes, and say things like "Caves are at A1, B8, G5, H3", etc) like half a dozen times. And read strategies for games I'd never, ever play.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 9, 2024

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Is this EU or NA Mystic Quest cause the NA one had all enemies on the field

I assume the NA version because I live in the states.

I don’t remember seeing any monsters on the world map, though it’s been nearly 30 years since I played that game so who knows.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was just reading about SNES RPGs and remembered 7th Saga. That game was wild! One of my friends had it and I borrowed it many times. It remember it being very hard and I’m wondering now if it was difficult and full of bullshit or if I was just bad at it because I was a kid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Silver Falcon posted:

My parents were divorced. So I had a SNES at my mom's and a Genesis at my dad's. :v: Later Dad upgraded us to a Playstation which is how I played FF7.

:respek: child of divorce buddy. Same thing - SNES/GEN, PSX/N64, and then PS2/GC&XBX.

Then by the time we get to the next gen we were old enough to move stuff around ourselves and it was great.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wildtortilla posted:

I was just reading about SNES RPGs and remembered 7th Saga. That game was wild! One of my friends had it and I borrowed it many times. It remember it being very hard and I’m wondering now if it was difficult and full of bullshit or if I was just bad at it because I was a kid.

That was one of the games that was inexplicably made almost impossibly hard in the NA version so it's not just you or your dumb kid brain, it was legit insane.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wildtortilla posted:

I read an LP for it somewhere and, no, it was difficult and full of bullshit. Depending on who your rival was the game could legitimately be put in an unwinnable state.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Oh yeah this too:

I probably created a Legend of Zelda map based on the books description (that literally had you draw a grid, label the axes, and say things like "Caves are at A1, B8, G5, H3", etc) like half a dozen times. And read strategies for games I'd never, ever play.

Had that too, or a pink Best Of that picked from 1-3. Beat Castlevania 2 with that thing. Looked up the author, he's like a hard right-winger writer nowadays.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Even the original release wasn't exactly an easy game, but the western translation was arbitrarily made more difficult with some enemy stat/level/encounter tweaks and also cutting the growth rate of your chosen character's stats. Since the other characters remain in the world as NPCs who level alongside you, and you'll have to fight at least one at some point, it can easily spiral into a situation where their stats have ballooned beyond yours - however, a long-suggested strategy was to recruit one of the other candidates after a certain level and just essentially swap to using them because they'll at least join with the stats they should have had.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ravus Ursus posted:

Well, for one thing I didn't run from fights for very long, because I figured out doing so didn't give you any EXP, and who wants that?

As to why I would do it in the first place? SMRPG was my first RPG ever in my life. I didn't know what an RPG was when I played it. I certainly didn't know what the actual game part of it was or was supposed to be! I was more interested in exploring and seeing the story. The battles annoyed me!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Surely there must be some other people here like me who grew up with emulators on PC before ever really touching a console. My first console was PS2 toward the end of its lifespan since emulation wasn't good in those days, then later went to Nintendo systems starting with 3DS and Switch. Feel like I really missed out on not having the "authentic" experience of anything before PS2 era. Still I'm glad I ended up down the road of being a console owner, my brother who would never touch a console with a 10 foot pole plays Bethesda games and likes poo poo like The Outer Worlds so I feel like I dodged a bullet there.

In other news there's always a Direct in mid-January right?

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 9, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Emulators weren’t much of a thing in the mid-90s, to my knowledge :corsair:

Also the first-of-the-year Directs are generally in February

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Emulators weren’t much of a thing in the mid-90s, to my knowledge :corsair:
They mostly started in the mid-90s, with a bunch of the early popular ones popping up around 95-97 (VGB in '95, GenEm, SNES96 (precursor to SNES9x), and iNES in '96, MAME, Genecyst, NESticle, and ZSNES in '97)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Item Getter posted:

Surely there must be some other people here like me who grew up with emulators on PC before ever really touching a console. My first console was PS2 toward the end of its lifespan since emulation wasn't good in those days, then later went to Nintendo systems starting with 3DS and Switch. Feel like I really missed out on not having the "authentic" experience of anything before PS2 era. Still I'm glad I ended up down the road of being a console owner, my brother who would never touch a console with a 10 foot pole plays Bethesda games and likes poo poo like The Outer Worlds so I feel like I dodged a bullet there.

even as a dirty zoomer i didn't touch emulators until like 2012, what on earth

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hogama posted:

They mostly started in the mid-90s, with a bunch of the early popular ones popping up around 95-97 (VGB in '95, GenEm, SNES96 (precursor to SNES9x), and iNES in '96, MAME, Genecyst, NESticle, and ZSNES in '97)

lol now that you mention it I do remember playing around with NESticle, though not till the early 00’s

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The first SNES game I actually played was Earthbound via ZSNES.

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

I never play my Switch and want to start. Any recs for a mechanically complex RPG, J or otherwise?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

candy bar posted:

I never play my Switch and want to start. Any recs for a mechanically complex RPG, J or otherwise?

i keep seeing physical copies of SMTV popping up on Amazon and Best Buy for real cheap.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

candy bar posted:

buy Dungeon Encounters immediately

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

otter posted:

1987: Odyssey 2
Hey I had an Odyssey 2! I used to play this on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ll_bbzRHKQ

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

candy bar posted:

SaGa Scarlet Grace has one of the best turn based jrpg battle systems out there.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Murdstone posted:

Hey I had an Odyssey 2! I used to play this on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ll_bbzRHKQ

Pick axe Pete and snafu 4 lyfe, biyatch!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When I was born we had an Intellivision because my mom worked at GTE and they were giving them out. So while my cousin had an NES, we had the Intellivision, so even though it was 1990 and the SNES was around the corner I was perfectly happy to play Burger Time and Night Stalker and then Mario or RC Pro Am at my cousin's.

Then in terms of consoles that were for me

SNES
Game Boy
N64
Dreamcast (first I bought with my own money)
Gamecube
PS2
DS
Wii
PS3
3DS
Wii U
XBone
Switch

I have a PS4 I got as a gift that I just used as a blu ray player/streaming box, and got a Genesis and NES used at some point but didn't really play either that much. Other than the Dreamcast and a year of the 360 I didn't play the non Nintendo consoles that much either. PS2 was mainly for GTA, PS3 for Warhawk and blu rays, just have always been more drawn to Nintendo.

Edit: On second thought I think I bought the N64 with my own money but couldn't afford any games so I had an N64 sitting around the house for a month until Christmas came. I think I rented Mario 64 once in that period and then got Pilotwings, Shadows of the Empire and MK Trilogy for Christmas, but randomly didn't get Mario 64 until years later.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 9, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Item Getter posted:

Yep. Parents didn't let me have/couldn't afford consoles, but I was able to install emulators on the 486 and pentium I had. I remember playing FF6 not understanding the keys to open the menu outside of combat, so I could only heal in combat and every fight was a frantic start of trying to heal up from the prior battle. Lived in the country so no neighbors with consoles, so college dorms were my first real experience with nes, Genesis and Dreamcast all at once. In high school I did play some multiplayer N64 but that was a lot different.

Got my first console at 19 or 20, a used PS2 same time mgs2 came out. The switch my kid got for Christmas last year from inlaws is the first Nintendo I've ever owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oooo there's a new shiren the wanderer next month