Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
In times like these, I always like think about one of Lovelock's more imaginative and dreadful takes on the future.

Paraphrased from Gwynne Dyer's Climate Wars, forgive my phoneposting:

quote:

[...] in Lovelock’s hundred-year scenario—or two hundred years, or however long it takes for the full effect of the 500-parts-per-million-plus carbon loading to be fully expressed in terms of higher global temperature—the great bulk of the Earth’s land surface turns to desert and scrubland, with only the Arctic basin and Greenland remaining as ‘the future centres of an appropriately diminished civilisation.’

With luck, a civilisation of a few hundred million people might survive in this area, for ‘the tundra wastelands of Siberia and northern Canada that remain above sea level will be rich with vegetation, and the enlarged Arctic Ocean, filled with algae, may become the fishing grounds of the future.’

This is such a drastic scenario that I asked almost every climate scientist I interviewed whether it was over the top. Almost all of them took it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
More doom graphs:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1744382036029190469

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1744440161319211169

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lmao during the college football championship game there was a commercial for... oil and gas, hyping up how necessary oil and gas is for hospitals. they can't save lives or do anything without oil and gas

hell world

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laTjYPf0ukk

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
im crack pinging over here all over again

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i just got my drivers license renewed and it doesn't expire until 2032. lol yeah sure

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://twitter.com/Sammy_Roth/status/1744503743083921750?t=S3sJdaRNHMzIXzQS_LIkAQ&s=19

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

[Biosphere Collapse] Jeez. This is bad.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lmao during the college football championship game there was a commercial for... oil and gas, hyping up how necessary oil and gas is for hospitals. they can't save lives or do anything without oil and gas

hell world

technically they're right. modern hospitals could not exist without oil. everything is all mega plastics (from oil), everything uses tons of electricity, everything there is mined from congo or w/e and processed with oil machinery

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Xaris posted:

technically they're right. modern hospitals could not exist without oil. everything is mega plastic, everything uses tons of electricity, everything there is mined from congo or w/e and processed with oil machinery

yeah it owns

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Wow lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Protagonist posted:

It's been touched on before in this very thread, probably ad nauseum, but there's probably something to be said about the common mythology of humanity's resiliency versus their resourcefulness

We're resourceful as all gently caress. Are there resources to be had? You loving better believe we're gonna have 'em. Our exploitation of resources has led to an exponential explosion the externalities of which are being actively elucidated a bit more every day.

Is humanity all that resilient in the stark absence of resources though?

Sure. Not in any form that Western whitey would consider civilized, though.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

great comeuppance for this scam product and certainly this extends to all plastic bottle drinks.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
plastinating our brains since conception

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

oh, don't cremate or bury me when i die

i fully intend to be a Body Worlds exhibit, the plastination was free!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Despite often feeling “overwhelmed” by the problems facing humanity, President Obama revealed he also advises his own children to try and have an optimistic outlook—saying this is what “sustains [his] spirit.”

The father of two revealed that his elder daughter, Malia, had come to him seeking advice on how to stay motivated trying to end global warming.

He said young people are beginning to question, “What’s the point? Because the world is burning.”

“I said to [Malia] we may not be able to cap temperature rise to 2 C, but here’s the thing, if we work really hard we may be able to cap it at 2.5 C instead of 3C. Or 3 instead of 3.5 C.

“That extra centigrade might mean the difference between whether Bangladesh is underwater. It might make the difference as to whether 100 million people have to migrate or only a few. That matters; it makes a difference.

“It’s worth fighting for. That’s a lot of people.”

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol lmao

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Obama sitting in his 11.75 million mansion with inflation adjusted future cost of 200 billion, observing a world at 2.5c and saying 3.5c is definitely where we draw the line

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

isn't civilization basically toast at 3.5-4c

I mean beyond the levels of hosed that we are at 1.5-2c

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i heard that clouds stop forming at 8C, so as long as we keep it to 7.5C we should be fine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It's awesome that Obama also tells his daughter meaningless platitudes to reassure her. What does "work really hard" entail in his example? Forget for a moment that the end result of that unspecified work is still a bleak future which is ever-increasingly filled with chaotic perpetual disasters and death as the stable climate our agrarian society relies upon spirals wildly out of control, a future which again is only possible if we "work really hard." But what is the work? Because to me it seems like the work is directly at odds with the goals of global capitalism, and so while some optimistic fools are "working really hard" to fix things, others are actively making everything worse while living lavish disconnected lives of obscene wealth.

Re-reading that, it actually sounds like he is just reassuring himself. "President Obama revealed he also advises his own children to try and have an optimistic outlook—saying this is what “sustains [his] spirit.”" His spirit is sustained by lying to his children. Amazing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the planet's dead, cloud

and so are you

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

telling your kids that 2.5c is ok, and fine

just lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Protagonist posted:

It's been touched on before in this very thread, probably ad nauseum, but there's probably something to be said about the common mythology of humanity's resiliency versus their resourcefulness

We're resourceful as all gently caress. Are there resources to be had? You loving better believe we're gonna have 'em. Our exploitation of resources has led to an exponential explosion the externalities of which are being actively elucidated a bit more every day.

on the plus side I don't think we're going to have to wait too much longer to get an answer to this question

e: looking at all the people I know having kids and mouthing "what the gently caress"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

toggle posted:

telling your kids that 2.5c is ok, and fine

just lmao

it is fine. for him.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Obama is a bad man, news at 11

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

I don’t get this, yes humans are able to tolerate a lot of bullshit. this thread might as well be an example. this is clearly maladaptive.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stereotype posted:

It's awesome that Obama also tells his daughter meaningless platitudes to reassure her. What does "work really hard" entail in his example? Forget for a moment that the end result of that unspecified work is still a bleak future which is ever-increasingly filled with chaotic perpetual disasters and death as the stable climate our agrarian society relies upon spirals wildly out of control, a future which again is only possible if we "work really hard." But what is the work? Because to me it seems like the work is directly at odds with the goals of global capitalism, and so while some optimistic fools are "working really hard" to fix things, others are actively making everything worse while living lavish disconnected lives of obscene wealth.

Re-reading that, it actually sounds like he is just reassuring himself. "President Obama revealed he also advises his own children to try and have an optimistic outlook—saying this is what “sustains [his] spirit.”" His spirit is sustained by lying to his children. Amazing.

A lot of people worked really hard to get Obama elected lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao. unperma him

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
anyway my old man has mad cash on hand and im helping him navigate purchasing solar lol. insane amount of scammers caused by NEM2 being ez subsidy and now that NEM3 SDGE is tightening the choke so they're even more desperate. batteries are expensive af lol. like 12k for the first battery before rebates.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

anyway my old man has mad cash on hand and im helping him navigate purchasing solar lol. insane amount of scammers caused by NEM2 being ez subsidy and now that NEM3 SDGE is tightening the choke so they're even more desperate. batteries are expensive af lol. like 12k for the first battery before rebates.

pfft. I can get a battery for $20 at the weed store

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Imagining a solar oven but it's an off grid vape

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

*thinks harder than I've ever thought before* we're hotboxing the planet

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

*thinks harder than I've ever thought before* we're hotboxing the planet

I was in favor of climate change before but when you put it like that I’m way more in favor of it

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Hubbert posted:

it's been wonderful to watch people in this thread's various iterations transform from tepid marxist optimism to broke-brain doomerism lol

hahaha remember 2017? good times

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

oh, don't cremate or bury me when i die

i fully intend to be a Body Worlds exhibit, the plastination was free!

want my skeleton put in the wilderness with random objects placed about in a humorous way like an environmental storytelling set piece

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

It's funny there were years of smug posts on these forums about how RCP 8.5 was impossible and that the Paris Accords would limit us to <1.5c because we couldn't even say something like 2c+ was plausible with any legitimacy and only lunatics would talk about such wild off the cuff apolaclyptic doomsday scenarios not backed by any science smart people would believe in

Now Obama is talking about how we should try and limit the temperature increase to 2.5c-3c and the bar has been set at "Well we can limit the disaster more than zero amount" and nitpicking over the methodology and premise of RCP 8.5 even though we are headed right for the temperature ranges outlined by it.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rectal Death Alert posted:

It's funny there were years of smug posts on these forums about how RCP 8.5 was impossible and that the Paris Accords would limit us to <1.5c because we couldn't even say something like 2c+ was plausible with any legitimacy and only lunatics would talk about such wild off the cuff apolaclyptic doomsday scenarios not backed by any science smart people would believe in

Now Obama is talking about how we should try and limit the temperature increase to 2.5c-3c and the bar has been set at "Well we can limit the disaster more than zero amount" and nitpicking over the methodology and premise of RCP 8.5 even though we are headed right for the temperature ranges outlined by it.

The D&D climate thread is finally completely dead because the oil shills like Thug Lessons finally realized they couldn't keep saying that poo poo with a straight face.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wish you hadn't reminded me thug lessons exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Alert posted:

We'd even have those discussions here in the C-SPAM thread. Graph posting followed by ~lively debate~

TBH I kind of miss those days