Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

The Meg was not very good but it was a co-production with china, so jason statham's love interest is this chinese scientist and the end takes place at this beautiful tourist beach in southern china and the characters say poo poo like "we need to drive this shark towards a military that can handle it... like china" so i can only assume that jason statham loves communism

*guy from Pavement voice* i know him, and he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

why didn't anyone tell me about cunk on earth

cunk on earth slaps

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

The Meg was not very good but it was a co-production with china, so jason statham's love interest is this chinese scientist and the end takes place at this beautiful tourist beach in southern china and the characters say poo poo like "we need to drive this shark towards a military that can handle it... like china" so i can only assume that jason statham loves communism

looking up this movie it looks like Rainn Wilson plays the villain :eyepop:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

still can't process The Meg 2 being directed by the guy that made Kill List, a soul crushing cross genre brit horror

Helluva posted:

First one was definitely better.

agreed because of Ana de Armas and this

https://i.imgur.com/4v1a0vU.mp4

Durf has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Jan 8, 2024

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the fly is incredible. five bags of popcorn

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

first one is surprisingly good. Not really good, but good for what it attempts to do. Low-stakes popcorn movie thats self-aware and should have shot for an R rating

the second one is one of the dumbest movies ive seen in my life. Just the most reality-defying bullshit that made me say "bullshit" to the screen which is something i never do cause i know movies arent real. It starts to wrap around to being funny but then wraps back around to being super terrible cause its like if some normal person started flying to get out of a situation and they never address that or acknowledge how bullshit it is. They also kill off the chinese love interest from the first one in-between films but they kept the child in the story and now she's Jason Statham's child for some reason?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

loquacius posted:

Kinda, he's the rich investor set up that way but when his "turn" is supposed to happen, it's to lie to the crew that the neighboring military has been contacted and is going to handle it, while continuing to try to kill the Meg with his mercenary team because he doesn't want the liability if the rest of the crew gets hurt

Overall the Meg was fun and took some curves

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wait Ben wheatly directed meg 2? Lol cool. His Rebecca remake was such rear end

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

In Training posted:

wait Ben wheatly directed meg 2? Lol cool. His Rebecca remake was such rear end

strange career trajectory

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Did anyone else see that movie where the main character played by Nic Cage starts showing up in peoples' dreams? I'm still not sure what to make of it but it was at my local indie theater with amazing cheap popcorn so it was a good experience overall. My takeaway is that it was pretty fun and has a pretty good consumerist twist, but frankly a movie where Nic Cage starts showing up in other peoples' dreams should have gone even harder and weirder.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oi... i'm gonna keep these bees mate

if he doesn't harvest enough honey every hour he dies.

Jason Statham IS The Beekeeper

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/onetallorfour/status/1744474109994528865?s=20

:aatrek: :smith:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

to be fair, star trek is not anime

except voyager

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Watched Telemarketers and loved it, it's way better than I thought.

ehhh i thought it kind of dropped off by the last episode when they try to do a michael moore schtick but are like insanely bad at it

the parts where it reads like a real documentary about the worlds most stupid and obvious scam are dope tho the scrapbook aspect just doesnt hold up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

closer to 60 minutes, the runtime fools you with each episode having five minutes of ending credits

do these ending credits just have more cute stop motion animation which is what youre watching for anyway tho

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

why didn't anyone tell me about cunk on earth

cunk on earth slaps

It's so good.

"Why does everyone talk about the pyramids being built by aliens when it's just a pile of rocks stashed in a triangle?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Found this youtube channel for those who enjoy electronic, synth-pop, Gothic, post punk, new wave, cold wave, new beat, pop alternative from the 80s. Lots of stuff I've never heard of.
https://youtube.com/@philippeduhoux631?si=aUcmikIsmAMt5uHW

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Found this youtube channel for those who enjoy electronic, synth-pop, Gothic, post punk, new wave, cold wave, new beat, pop alternative from the 80s. Lots of stuff I've never heard of.
https://youtube.com/@philippeduhoux631?si=aUcmikIsmAMt5uHW

oh yes. thank you.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i) what's the best 90s computer movie and ii) why would anyone say anything other than sneakers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There are many good 90s computer movies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

the milk machine posted:

i) what's the best 90s computer movie and ii) why would anyone say anything other than sneakers

jurassic park + matrix

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
jurassic park is a strong contender but the matrix is in human brains so we'd need an upper court ruling on if that counts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
fine, i reneg. jurassic park + goldeneye + independence day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
90s were so good and i dont care what fukuyama-rear end goon denies it as rose-tinted glasses. aughts/10s cinema sucks major rear end compared to 90s cinema

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

the milk machine posted:

Strange Days

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

90s were so good and i dont care what fukuyama-rear end goon denies it as rose-tinted glasses. aughts/10s cinema sucks major rear end compared to 90s cinema

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

oh gently caress you might have me on that one

funny I just watched that the other night too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

90s was when movies were last allowed to be fun before 9/11 ruined everything

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

90s was when movies were last allowed to be fun before 9/11 ruined everything

I watched Driven last month and it was just dudes driving F1 cars for the hell of it and you couldn't make a movie like that anymore. Not a single gun in sight.

Release date? April 27, 2001

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
johnny mnemonic

hackers

lawnmower man

the net

hardware

existenz

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fact-checking cuz posted:

*guy from Pavement voice* i know him, and he does

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

the milk machine posted:

Johnny Mnemonic and it ain't even close

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

the milk machine posted:

johnny mnemonic

hackers

lawnmower man

the net

hardware

existenz

Good rear end list right here

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

2000s has there will be blood and no country for old men + golden age of pixar, though. good poo poo. even memento was good. lord of teh rings...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

cumpantry posted:

2000s has there will be blood and no country for old men + golden age of pixar, though. good poo poo. even memento was good. lord of teh rings...

i think a bugs life was the best pixar movie tho.

but sure there were some bangers, 2007 was in particularly a standout year in an otherwise extremely mediocre decade

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

do you like it more or less than seven samurai?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

cumpantry posted:

master and commander (GOAT of dudes rock movies)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Justin Tyme posted:

master and commander (GOAT of dudes rock movies)

it's so good. im not brave enough to read the books (yet)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's crazy how well that movie aged. historical dramas ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnr4hO21-0M