Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Final Fantasy III or V as it actually is on SNES - I tried to play through this a few years ago on the SNES classic. I got about halfway through it and completely lost interest. I liked the previous games a lot better. I dunno what it was. It was a really big game of course so that's one thing, my time is limited - but it was also pretty complex for a game where I thought the combat was actually pretty easy. I didn't know what half the crap was for but it didn't really matter. The story which is supposed to be awesome did nothing for me. The whole opera part was not epic. It was lame.

You mean VI? III was VI. V was also pretty good but VI is the one that people make a big deal about

I know VII got a lot of reflexive hate because it was so wildly popular at the time, but I think it still holds up better than most of the other FFs. Still the only one with any real relevance to modern day events. I mean it starts out with the protagonist working for a bunch of ecoterrorists trying to stop a megacorporation that owns pretty much everything and is literally killing the planet by draining its life to use as an energy source. Sure it goes on to a more personal conflict and fantasy-type plot but the megacorporation issue doesn't really go away and by the end of the game you're directly or indirectly responsible for killing pretty much every executive running it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I don't think you know what any of those words mean.

Yeah, seriously. I get not being into the franchise, but FFIV is a blatantly direct implementation of the monomyth, and more than a few other entries follow the template.

e: I would also like to hear more about why not following the tropes of the genre is a bad thing. I'm not being snarky here, I'm really curious.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 8, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kit Walker posted:

You mean VI? III was VI. V was also pretty good but VI is the one that people make a big deal about

I know VII got a lot of reflexive hate because it was so wildly popular at the time, but I think it still holds up better than most of the other FFs. Still the only one with any real relevance to modern day events. I mean it starts out with the protagonist working for a bunch of ecoterrorists trying to stop a megacorporation that owns pretty much everything and is literally killing the planet by draining its life to use as an energy source. Sure it goes on to a more personal conflict and fantasy-type plot but the megacorporation issue doesn't really go away and by the end of the game you're directly or indirectly responsible for killing pretty much every executive running it

I meant VI. I'm chronologically confused about video game sequels.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lord of the rings. First off it only deal with one ring. The first movie has barely any battles. All of the movies were too long.

The person/frobbit with the ring isn’t even the lord of it as far as I can tell and he seems actively afraid of it, which isn’t the end of the world but it counteracts the title

Almost all of the characters seem extremely self important, especially the elves and the trees. Actually as I’m writing this I’m remembering even more elves and they literally all were self inflated dorks, but everybody largely seems to respect them so I don’t think it’s intended

The gremlin made the movie slower whenever he was in it

I was kind of tricked into watching them bc the person I’m dating said they were her favorite movies and I assumed she had good taste

Apologies if this is a repeat to this thread or something goons already hate

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Worf posted:

Lord of the rings. First off it only deal with one ring. The first movie has barely any battles. All of the movies were too long.

The person/frobbit with the ring isn’t even the lord of it as far as I can tell and he seems actively afraid of it, which isn’t the end of the world but it counteracts the title

Almost all of the characters seem extremely self important, especially the elves and the trees. Actually as I’m writing this I’m remembering even more elves and they literally all were self inflated dorks, but everybody largely seems to respect them so I don’t think it’s intended

I was kind of tricked into watching them bc the person I’m dating said they were her favorite movies and I assumed she had good taste

:goonsay:there's actually multiple rings

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

it's called lord of the rings because the one ring that it is about is the lord of all of the other rings

"one ring to rule them all"...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

it's called lord of the rings because the one ring that it is about is the lord of all of the other rings

"one ring to rule them all"...

That’s even dumber

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Movies would of been better if Golumn had gotten the ring at the end, killed Sauron, and ruled all of middle earth.

Why can't the little guy in a movie catch a break for once!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Aramis posted:

Yeah, seriously. I get not being into the franchise, but FFIV is a blatantly direct implementation of the monomyth, and more than a few other entries follow the template.

e: I would also like to hear more about why not following the tropes of the genre is a bad thing. I'm not being snarky here, I'm really curious.
Zelda is the monomyth and it's almost opposite in structure to FF.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Movies would of been better if Golumn had gotten the ring at the end, killed Sauron, and ruled all of middle earth.

Why can't the little guy in a movie catch a break for once!

Gollum was a homophobe and didn't like that Frodo and Sam loved each other so much

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

Gollum was a homophobe and didn't like that Frodo and Sam loved each other so much

Stop just doing textual readings of films! Sub textually, Frodo represented 1930's Germany, Sam represented 1930's Austria, and Gollum was the rest of the no fascist world looking on in horror as these two were beginning to partner. The ring to Gollum represented a chance of escape from their fascists grip, so he could enjoy buttsex free from ffascists oppression. The ring also represented butt sex, obviously.

Why would you want NAZI Germany and Austria to win in the end!!!!!!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

dr_rat posted:

Stop just doing textual readings of films! Sub textually, Frodo represented 1930's Germany, Sam represented 1930's Austria, and Gollum was the rest of the no fascist world looking on in horror as these two were beginning to partner. The ring to Gollum represented a chance of escape from their fascists grip, so he could enjoy buttsex free from ffascists oppression. The ring also represented butt sex, obviously.

Why would you want NAZI Germany and Austria to win in the end!!!!!!

uuuh germany hadnt even been invented yet when lotr took place

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Arctic Monkeys loving suck rear end.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Junk posted:

uuuh germany hadnt even been invented yet when lotr took place

Duh, yes it had stupid. LotR is set in 1937, but in like Whales, where they didn't have electricity or cars or modern buildings back then, but they did have wizards and short people and dragons and stuff.

I've been informed by my UK friends Whales now has electricity. Possibly still hobbits. They weren't sure about that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about whales to dispute it

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Germany was called east Germany back then and Austria was still called Australia

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I dont like Final Fantasy either. I find the stories ridiculous. I like dragon quest though and I love Phantasy Star

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

final fantasy just looked lame n boring to me so i always disregarded it (same as lord of the rings)

i guess in theory final fantasy could be my most favorite game that ive never played

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Ratios and Tendency posted:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I dont like Final Fantasy either. I find the stories ridiculous. I like dragon quest though and I love Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star is cool

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I absolutely cannot understand how anyone likes Run the Jewels. The first time I heard people raving about them, I looked up Oh La La on YouTube, and I swear to god. It’s like what a comedy would use as a gag for a rich dude’s embarrassingly lovely, spoiled, untalented kid.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

elden ring > lord of the rings

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

yeah but a lot of covers of their songs rule, like the CHVRCHES version of "Do I Wanna Know?"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I absolutely cannot understand how anyone likes Run the Jewels. The first time I heard people raving about them, I looked up Oh La La on YouTube, and I swear to god. It’s like what a comedy would use as a gag for a rich dude’s embarrassingly lovely, spoiled, untalented kid.
RTJ is "reeeeeal hiphop" for people that find "reeeeeal hiphop" corny.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dan akroyd isnt funny

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Doom Rooster posted:

RTJ4 is their weakest to be fair.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Reminded me to listen to Oh My Darling (Don't Cry) and it's still good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I think this is part of it for me and Final Fantasy VI. After a while I couldn't be bothered with the story. I stopped playing for a bit (I think I got busy at work or something) when you wake up in another world or something with the one character (I think she's the Esper or something?) and when I picked back up I forgot who I was or why I was doing what I was doing and what I was supposed to do. I guess it's not a great game to put down for a while and then try to get back into. I just walked around clueless for a while and then decided to play F-Zero or something.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

They're a step above Northern-English festival indie by a bunch of cheeky lads, but that basically just makes you a solid nugget in a river of diarrhea. They keep 42yr old DJs who perform at Wednesday night student discos in £1 VKs and impressionable 19 year old girls though, I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TontoCorazon posted:

This changes everything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

Sauron is the Lord of the Rings, FYI.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

dr_rat posted:

Duh, yes it had stupid. LotR is set in 1937, but in like Whales, where they didn't have electricity or cars or modern buildings back then, but they did have wizards and short people and dragons and stuff.

I've been informed by my UK friends Whales now has electricity. Possibly still hobbits. They weren't sure about that.

Only the movie versions were set in Wales. True fans appreciate the (far superior) books which were set in new Zealand where hobbits were hunted to extinction as recently as the early 2000s.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bill Posters posted:

Only the movie versions were set in Wales. True fans appreciate the (far superior) books which were set in new Zealand where hobbits were hunted to extinction as recently as the early 2000s.

I remember seeing old grainy footage of the last known surviving Hobbit, which was in captivity in the Wellington zoo, from that era.

It looked very sad.

:(

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
A Nightmare Before Christmas sucks. I'm sorry, but I just have to say it.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
sesame street can eat a dick

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Junk posted:

sesame street can eat a dick

hell yeah! and wtf did Fred Roger's ever do for anyone lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

before it came up in this thread i never knew about the gordon ramsay grilled cheese disaster

interestingly enough, he just appeared in a video that dropped yesterday where, right in the beginning, that video gets brought up and he admits it was bad. blames it on a few things which is natural/understandable, he is a celebrity with an image to protect, but after watching him on various things over the years this is one of the first times i've seen him be more "real" than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENhfIeZF_AY

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
elmo's a bitch rear end punk

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosmik Debris posted:

elmo's a bitch rear end punk

Man, most cartoon/kids show voices are fine but that poo poo uniquely drives me crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

skeeter sucks. honk off.