Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress that guy

forkboy84 posted:

It's hopeless optimism. Kieth will ensure a Tory comeback in at very most 10 years

That's a very valid point that I had not considered. I stand corrected

e: :viggo: There are 116 ternary Lyndon words of length six, and 116 irreducible polynomials of degree six over a three-element field, which form the basis of a free Lie algebra of dimension 116.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess I just never pinned someone with anxiety down as also being that level of stand-offish as well. I would have expected them to be more anxious in accepting an apology. Things to learn, I suppose.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

It's hopeless optimism. Kieth will provide a Tory comeback by taking office

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Hahaha he has left for the day feeling unwell. We have a meeting booked for 10-11.30 for me to hand back to him all that I have picked up from his accounts over xmas.

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress that guy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I guess I just never pinned someone with anxiety down as also being that level of stand-offish as well. I would have expected them to be more anxious in accepting an apology. Things to learn, I suppose.

Sometimes people respond to stress induced by anxiety by being a prick.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I agree this shouldn't be a job to spring on temp workers who would need to be up on a bunch of poo poo at a moment's notice, but a part-timer could at least mean you can have more faith that you aren't having to burn rubber to meet people 100 miles away because your colleague had mental health.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

More and more underlying causes do seem to provide this symptom.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sandford's colleague may just suck, regardless of mental health status.

That said (and I have no idea any more what UK statutory sick leave provisions are like), ideally he would be signed off sick for as long as he needs and Sandford's boss would hire someone else to pick up the slack. Taking time off here and there without warning clearly isn't working for anyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There probably isn't any functional mental health service available even if you could get signed off on long term sick pay.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Squinting at this trying to figure out how this is different from just "being a prick". Everyone has stressors, if you translate that into the end result of "being a prick" then the middle part isn't really that important to anyone else. It is possible as an adult to take stock of how your actions affect others and take mitigating steps, not limited to; getting treatment for your anxiety, getting a different job that removes those stressors, shutting the gently caress up, apologising for wrongs done, taking responsibility for your own workload. There are many ways to be less of a prick!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

big scary monsters posted:

Sandford's colleague may just suck, regardless of mental health status.

That said (and I have no idea any more what UK statutory sick leave provisions are like), ideally he would be signed off sick for as long as he needs and Sandford's boss would hire someone else to pick up the slack. Taking time off here and there without warning clearly isn't working for anyone.

We gave him full pay when he was off from February 27th through to April 17th. I argued strongly in favour of that. I don’t know what he’s had for the rest of the year.

This is my biggest problem. Should people get paid the same, even when ill? Of course they should! I’ve always believed that, for everyone! Oh but this guy though…. Next thing you know I’m voting Tory and insisting any child over the second can be fed into the furnace to keep the rest warm.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

There probably isn't any functional mental health service available even if you could get signed off on long term sick pay.

Could well be, but having a guaranteed income while not having to struggle with a job you're not up to might well help a bit all by itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Squinting at this trying to figure out how this is different from just "being a prick". Everyone has stressors, if you translate that into the end result of "being a prick" then the middle part isn't really that important to anyone else. It is possible as an adult to take stock of how your actions affect others and take mitigating steps, not limited to; getting treatment for your anxiety, getting a different job that removes those stressors, shutting the gently caress up, apologising for wrongs done, taking responsibility for your own workload. There are many ways to be less of a prick!

I would say personally the difference is that it's a stressor that doesn't ever go away, it sticks with your for your entire life, seemingly only gets worse, and you don't really have an output for it, or a way to deal with it. And the self-analysis itself is part and parcel of the problem, doing that is both compulsive and miserable.

Your whole life can quite easily become a vortex of things that make you miserable with you having neither the will nor the knowledge of how to make changes to fix it, possibly because there simply isn't a solution available.

It probably isn't actually distinct from just being a prick. All other people can see is what you act like. That's one of the wonderful things about humans is that they can make other people miserable while also being miserable themselves and have very little control over either part.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

People should be supported when they are unable to work; it is objectively good that your boss is understanding that this person struggles. What's not acceptable is you're being left in the lurch due to someone being habitually unreliable. Part of letting people with healths issues work is giving them roles that fit their capabilities. You do not give someone with severe Parkinsons a welder, you do not put a deaf person in charge of audio engineering, you do not have the anxious guy arranging meetings 100s of miles away that he might bail on at a moment's notice.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sanford posted:

We gave him full pay when he was off from February 27th through to April 17th. I argued strongly in favour of that. I don’t know what he’s had for the rest of the year.

This is my biggest problem. Should people get paid the same, even when ill? Of course they should! I’ve always believed that, for everyone! Oh but this guy though…. Next thing you know I’m voting Tory and insisting any child over the second can be fed into the furnace to keep the rest warm.

Yeah I'm sorry you're in the situation, really sounds like you've done nothing wrong. My instinct is to blame your boss for laying all the extra work on your shoulders rather than hiring another person, but I'll admit my instinct is to blame bosses for almost anything.

It is unfortunate and frustrating when the beneficiaries of sound policy like "make sure everyone can afford to live" are ungrateful arseholes, but that is part of the whole deal - you have to look after them too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually now I'm imagining some deaf supergenius who can tell just by looking at waveforms if the sound is engineered correctly.

That person would kick rear end. They can have the job.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Actually now I'm imagining some deaf supergenius who can tell just by looking at waveforms if the sound is engineered correctly.

That person would kick rear end. They can have the job.

That person was beethoven.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anyone good at bird identification?

Saw something that I don't know what it was this morning.

Longer than a dove, olive green back, golden flashes visible when it flew. Flight was low to the ground in a shallow sine wave pattern.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That person was beethoven.

Beethoven would stare at a mixing console like the previous goldendoodle staring at calculus. Dude just remembered what the notes of musical notation corresponded to in terms of sounds in his head.

That is incredible skill, but it's different from being deaf from birth but being able to See The Waveform.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Longer than a dove, olive green back, golden flashes visible when it flew. Flight was low to the ground in a shallow sine wave pattern.

Greenfinch?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Angrymog posted:

Green woodpecker? Any sign of a red head?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

The reason people still vote Tory discovered.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sanford posted:

I spoke to him briefly this morning and said sorry if you thought I was getting at you, I’m just exasperated with the amount of work I’ve got on. He said “we all say stupid things without thinking but APOLOGY ACCEPTED” so I am trying to avoid my thinking moving to a position of “gently caress this guy.” When he asked for leave for the entirety of March and half of April ‘to get himself sorted out’ I was right there telling the boss that was a small investment to keep hold of a good person, and I covered all his poo poo without complaint. Multiple times in the last year I’ve got a message around 7am advising I need to be 100 miles away by 9 to keep one of his appointments, multiple other times I’ve got a call from customers saying their new client manager is “unavailable” and can I support them instead. I know this is on me but there are multiple, multiple times I’ve covered for him with clients and colleagues, and I’ve always supported him when the boss has asked if we should just look to get someone else. Thinking about it, the amount of times he’s thrown stuff to me when he’s off, I bet the office thought he was WFH when he was using me to cover anything urgent.

Just to address the “ we should have got someone else” yes I totally agree, but the role includes understanding our software, the applicable legislation, and handling recently-bereaved individuals and the charities that want their slice of the estate. I’ve said enough times in here it’s not a hard job, but it’s not one anyone could pick up at a moments notice. Balancing that “I know everyone is rightly upset but we’ve got to get this sorted” is not the easiest thing and certainly not an attractive role for many people. When he’s around he’s good at the job and handles people well, and I have totally been his strongest supporter, word and deed, when it comes to helping him get through it rather than replacing him. But lord am I tired of this.

I'm kind of impressed how easily this guy has managed to get you to do his job.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

Beethoven would stare at a mixing console like the previous goldendoodle staring at calculus. Dude just remembered what the notes of musical notation corresponded to in terms of sounds in his head.

That is incredible skill, but it's different from being deaf from birth but being able to See The Waveform.

My partner claims I am tonedeaf but I've bravely overcome that disability by singing loudly around the house.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

My OC alt-history donut steal is what if Robert Hooke had invented a gramophone.

He invented a hearing trumpet. He discovered that sounds were made of vibrations by attaching a diaphragm and needle to that hearing trumpet. He invented an accurate clockwork mechanism. He discovered how spring tension worked. Literally all he was missing was the wax disc.

OwlFancier posted:

It probably isn't actually distinct from just being a prick. All other people can see is what you act like. That's one of the wonderful things about humans is that they can make other people miserable while also being miserable themselves and have very little control over either part.
The extreme examples of that often show up in things like abusers and narcissists having had hosed up pasts themselves. Or as my mam used to put it when working with kids who'd otherwise be expelled or imprisoned, "it explains them but it doesn't excuse them." We can make other people miserable while also being miserable ourselves, but we have a social obligation to try not to perpetuate that. How you get people to see that is the one of the central cans of worms of all social work though.

Apparently you can get vaccinated against certain nonces now though, which is encouraging.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
not liking this new mortal kombat character

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
homuncular

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i am an anxious person who tends to bail on their job depending how much i struggle in the morning (thankfully i have a very understanding manager) and yeah i am absolutely never taking a job which involves travelling for appointments with customers

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Angrymog posted:

Could be a ring necked parakeet, they're naturalised in several places in this country, usually are green with yellow under their wings.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm kind of impressed how easily this guy has managed to get you to do his job.

When things are quiet, I am everything the Daily Express fears about people working from home. Long showers, doing the laundry, walking the dog, wandering round to the allotment to fill up the bird feeders and have a little toot on the vape. Even now I’m typing this sitting with my feet up and wearing a giant dressing gown, and ten minutes ago I was outside helping a tiny little Chinese woman fill up her screenwash (she was not tall enough to get the bonnet up). My job is very easy, I am blessed that the aspects of it that people say sound hard come naturally to me, and having had a (totally unnecessarily) very difficult, very stressful job prior to Covid I really don’t want to rock the boat at all. That plus a strong inclination to support as much as possible anyone struggling with their health has led to here.

In other news, good work Keith on courting the right-wing press. It was worth alienating a load of left-wing voters. With The Sun in your corner, you’re unstoppable!

Oh.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
in his wig. and. robes :smug:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i ask you, who is the real fiend here?

the humble fiend, who, whilst understandably high in Indian hemp, tied up a 2-year old gentleman and briefly left him respiratorily disadvantaged?

or was SIR keir stamer?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some great Rare Starmers there. Dude is the dictionary's example of Gormless.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Amazing that they've managed to find the least objectionable thing that Starmer did, providing a criminal defence for free while working as a lawyer and trying to get people around the world spared the death penalty, and turn it into a negative.

Harry Cole probably doesn't want to dwell too much on the being a drunk driver and hitting cyclists parts.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Big        bold        paragraph.

Paragraph.

Tiny        paragraphs.

Edit: And what is this perverse reverse skeumorphism? Is the writing on paper inside the folders, or on the folders?! Aaargh!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

i put on my robe and legal hat

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sanford posted:

Green woodpecker? Any sign of a red head?

Nope.

We're on coastal marshland if that helps at all.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Noxville posted:

Could be a ring necked parakeet, they're naturalised in several places in this country, usually are green with yellow under their wings.

Nope, I know what those look like - bastards used to eat all our guavas in Goa.

Greenfinch is a possibility, though it would be a large one. Flew from the ground to a fence, so was probably ground feeding.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 9, 2024

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Fire the guy that sucks and give the goon a pay rise.

People should be supported when they have health problems, but there has to be a point where it's not sustainable anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

And lo, Keith dranketh deep of the puddle. Yet the press were turncoats and reneged on their promise...