Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

tristeham posted:

the fly is incredible. five bags of popcorn

excuse me, the correct rating system is stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
So we had flipped cause and effect all along? Being a pedophile doesn't make you watch star trek, but watching star trek makes you a pedophile?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

nikosoft posted:

excuse me, the correct rating system is stars

You can't half a star, you'd just get rid of half it's mass, it would very quickly turn into a ball again.

Now a bag of popcorn you can half. It's messy but you can do it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

On Sunday, January 7, 2024, the winners of the 2023 Creative Arts Emmy Awards were announced, revealing that an episode of The Simpsons featuring a Death Note parody had won. The episode in question was the 2022 Halloween episode titled Treehouse of Horror XXXIII, which has been a traditional seasonal episode for the series since its second season.

The Death Note parody episode of The Simpsons won in the Outstanding Animated Program category, having been nominated for the same award several times over the years. Including this latest victory for Treehouse of Horror XXXIII, the series has won the category a total of 12 times since the 1990 award season.

While the Death Note parody only comprised a section of the latest Treehouse of Horror episode, it was regarded as one of the better portions of the installment overall by viewers.

In the Death Note parody segment of the 33rd Treehouse of Horror episode of The Simpsons, Lisa Simpson is cast as Light Yagami, finding a mysterious book labeled Death Tome. Much like the actual anime's murderous book, she finds several rules and instructions on how to use the book on the inside cover.

While the parody doesn't follow the original anime's story precisely, Lisa does receive her own shinigami named Steve Johnson and is given an adversary in L played by her brother, Bart. The casting of Bart as L plays on Bart's graffiti-tagging alter-ego, El Barto, whose signature can be seen all over the fictional town of Springfield in various other episodes of the series.

DR Movie, the South Korean studio that assisted Madhouse in their production of the original anime series, animated the parody section of Treehouse of Horror XXXIII. The Simpsons had previously spoofed other anime series for Treehouse of Horror in their 2014 episode, in which they parodied Attack on Titan, Bleach, Naruto, Spirited Away, and Pokémon.

The original Death Note anime series served as a television anime adaptation of author Tsugumi Ohba and illustrator Takeshi Obata's original manga series of the same name. The anime premiered in 2006 and ran until 2007 for a total of 37 episodes. Several live-action films have been released previously in the franchise, with an upcoming live-action series being produced by Netflix.

Ohba and Obata's original manga ran from 2003 until 2006 and was serialized in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump manga publication magazine for the entirety of this original run. The series' 108 chapters were eventually collected into 12 compilation book volumes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god the Simpsons did a parody I have no pop culture knowledge of

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Jan 9, 2024

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Hackers was legit fun on rewatch

Johnny Neumonic is unwatchable past the INTERNET intro

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The weird part is Homer being a salaryman who excels at staying up all night getting drunk with his boss actually is something that suits him so well they have actual jokes about it.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Durf posted:

Just wanted to mention again that I watched it with full greyscale turned on and it turns the film into a piece of art, there is blu ray release of this version, it was apparently the director's original intention, I recommend trying it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

the milk machine posted:

it's so good. im not brave enough to read the books (yet)

The books are incredible and only the first one is super jargon-heavy fwiw. Either way they're easy to follow even if you don't stop to look up every word/phrase you don't know.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cookie Cutter posted:

Just wanted to mention again that I watched it with full greyscale turned on and it turns the film into a piece of art, there is blu ray release of this version, it was apparently the director's original intention, I recommend trying it.

longo is a famous b/w photographer. he re-graded it not "turned on greyscale" :toughguy:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he hit the black and white button

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cookie Cutter posted:

hrmm, that second one really lets some influence shine through

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Durf posted:

Wrong, it's a cinematic masterpiece

You can't find a movie that did a better job of predicting the world in 2021

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Durf posted:

disagree, just watched it like a year ago and had lots of fun with it

Not just the tech stuff, either; there's tremendous value in watching Keanu engage in absolutely atrocious fight choreography after seeing what he did in the Matrix/Wick movies

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Love when Ice-T and the dolphin show up. Great film. Johnny says something like "I can carry 80 gigs of data in my head" which was very impressive then but now Johnny can barely hold half of Baldurs Gate 3 installed.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

theflyingexecutive posted:

longo is a famous b/w photographer. he re-graded it not "turned on greyscale" :toughguy:

Ah I mean, that's what I did in VLC when I watched it to replicate the effect instead of buying the blu ray, that wasn't clear, excuse me :cheerdoge:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theres good and bad poo poo made in every decade. That's the crazy thing about it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

Theres good and bad poo poo made in every decade. That's the crazy thing about it

the spirit of creativity shines through genius and moron alike

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

watching star trek makes you a pedophile

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the milk machine posted:

i) what's the best 90s computer movie and ii) why would anyone say anything other than sneakers

this mf hasn't seen Hackers or Johnny Mnemonic

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also the black and white Johnny Mnemonic is okay i guess but if it doesn't have an incredibly garish, eye-searing '90s color scheme, it ain't Johnny Mnemonic

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

goth smoking cloves posted:

Wrong, it's a cinematic masterpiece

You can't find a movie that did a better job of predicting the world in 2021

Yeah, crypto recovery codes are very similar to what he does.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:dogstare:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Helluva posted:

Yeah, crypto recovery codes are very similar to what he does.

also everyone has the plague lol

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

nonathlon posted:

Agreed. One perceptive review of Saltburn noted that it's a film by a rich person on how rich people are kinda hosed up but it's not their fault.
I just watched Saltburn and I was pleasantly surprised by its class commentary. This review I thought did a good job of highlighting what makes it stand out from the hollow Triangle of Sadness-es of the cinema world:
“Saltburn,” “The Bling Ring,” and the Pathetic Desperation of the Upper Middle Class

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I just watched Saltburn and I was pleasantly surprised by its class commentary. This review I thought did a good job of highlighting what makes it stand out from the hollow Triangle of Sadness-es of the cinema world:
“Saltburn,” “The Bling Ring,” and the Pathetic Desperation of the Upper Middle Class

This was a fun read

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
"Good" news everyone! I had a chance to watch the netflix cut of rebel moon!

:siren:I enjoyed it, with obvious qualifications!:siren:

Maybe it was the blustery winter weather outside and the cozy boozy drink in my hand, but the hack editing didn't bother me - it instead reminded me of the first times I ever saw particular genre movies like Conan the Barbarian or Chronicles of Riddick - on television, with significant chunks missing (due to commercial breaks and because my dad controlled the wandering remote). As a cinephile it was much less than ideal, a disjointed mess. But as a sicko for pulp styled fantasy, it was pretty good! The plot is really this cut's only weakness, and it's not like it was hard to fill in the blanks. It's funny to remember the confusion some goons have had with this very simple story. Kora's recruitment isn't stupid or contradictory - it's Nemesis who says revenge is bad (she's a different character!), Kora and Titus think it's legit. The soft focus complaints are whatever, different tastes but it's way less obtrusive than Abrams' lens flares (which never obscure anything anyways). While Zack has inarguably done another fascism as always, I can't help but wonder what haters will do with how young Kora is coded in her origin scene (or Besilarius in comparison) lol

Even as is, it's way better than the Sequel Trilogy by pretty much any measure. Looking forward to the proper big boy cut whenever that is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1744766243976929506?t=87Xep5_80CUjE94HUUyt5A&s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In Training posted:

They needed to cut like 20 minutes of explanation. They used to make similar tier mysteries every week on multiple network TV shows you don't need to be so precious about the format

they still do! looks like someone hasnt been watching the new season of midsomer murders

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Modern Hollywood movies are absolutely loving terrified that someone might think they're meant to be taken seriously

they are also very confusingly and counterintuitively marketing themselves as if theyre singlehandedly responsible for brainwashing our children into believing good progressive ideology

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

The Meg was not very good but it was a co-production with china, so jason statham's love interest is this chinese scientist and the end takes place at this beautiful tourist beach in southern china and the characters say poo poo like "we need to drive this shark towards a military that can handle it... like china" so i can only assume that jason statham loves communism

thinking about that time south korea convinced itself it coproduced avengers age of ultron when most people dont even remember south korea was in that movie at all and are probably reading this post with the same degree of vague skepticism that im reading yours

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

best nationalist pandering has to be pacific rim 2, they got charlie day to do half his lines in extremely bad mandarin

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bro Dad posted:

best nationalist pandering has to be pacific rim 2, they got charlie day to do half his lines in extremely bad mandarin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5r77-OQwa8

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Found this youtube channel for those who enjoy electronic, synth-pop, Gothic, post punk, new wave, cold wave, new beat, pop alternative from the 80s. Lots of stuff I've never heard of.
https://youtube.com/@philippeduhoux631?si=aUcmikIsmAMt5uHW

i dont listen to channels i listen to songs

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

they are also very confusingly and counterintuitively marketing themselves as if theyre singlehandedly responsible for brainwashing our children into believing good progressive ideology

That's right. We all love Clod.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Theres also this one and in the ending Indian soldiers shoot Pakistani general Iqbal to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCU6WkQ-fA

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont listen to channels i listen to songs

Have a link to the article this is from?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

No One Will Save You is a fun movie starring her that I recommend.

I don't know how they are going to make TLOU2 into TV, it's such a windy mess of a story. At least enough material for 2 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

oh man. that poor woman. I hope she knows what she’s signed up for.