Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
You all are doomposting and missing the real issue. loving magnets. How do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

Oh, I'm most certainly not taking him at his word. I'm remarking at how incredibly stupid this is - either because it is false and grasping at the flimsiest of straws, or because it is true and God is the laziest loving writer in all of history.

Either way, we live in a time of immense stupidity.

The trouble is that the filing is written in such an over-the-top manner that it’s hard to evaluate. Like saying the DA should be criminally prosecuted for fraud is kinda going beyond what a normal filing would have.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lammasu posted:

You all are doomposting and missing the real issue. loving magnets. How do they work?

Not in water

Caros
May 14, 2008

If I'm reading this right the source for these recent allegations is a man named... John Barron?

In other news, Jack Smith also got swatted. Cool. Cool cool.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I feel like if you have a case so high profile that it'll be in history books, you'd try to hand it off if you have any major skeletons in your closet.

'I recuse myself because I was having an affair' is embarrassing but orders of magnitude less then 'I fumbled an incredibly high profile case because I didn't think anyone might give me a shred of scrutiny'

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait, one sec, backup. Are you telling me the state level trial of the century is going to get aborted because the DA had an affair?

Who wrote this script?!!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

if this works i'm switching to team trump. if this works trump obviously has some sort of divine help. might actually have a guardian angel, the only person in the entire world. if this works i'll never oppose saint trump again. it's just not worth risking damnation

at this point we have to conclude that either trump is personally blessed by god or has the ability to rewrite reality to his will but in completely ridiculous ways

Caros
May 14, 2008

Evergreen, apparently.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Comstar posted:

Wait, one sec, backup. Are you telling me the state level trial of the century is going to get aborted because the DA had an affair?

Who wrote this script?!!

I'm still waiting for them to somehow try and bring back last season fan favorite Steve Bannon! ...or did he like die at some point?

How is there always so much stuff always happening around trump and why is it always so stupid?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
People in this day and age, especially on the SA forums, should need more evidence then, "some random guy said something"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ancient American curse; may you live in stupid times.

InsertPotPun posted:

if this works i'm switching to team trump. if this works trump obviously has some sort of divine help. might actually have a guardian angel, the only person in the entire world. if this works i'll never oppose saint trump again. it's just not worth risking damnation

I don't know why you would assume divine intervention when this is a pretty clear Satanic Contract situation. Dude's surrounded by terrible lawyers as a consequence of making one hell of an ironclad infernal contract once.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What's the Georgia law around conflict of interest?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I am in no way, shape or form a lawyer, but I've glanced at the motion and it looks bad to me. It appears they're either flat out lying in a spectacular and even criminal way, or they've actually got something.

Someone who knows this stuff please tell me I'm wrong!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

C. Everett Koop posted:

at this point we have to conclude that either trump is personally blessed by god or has the ability to rewrite reality to his will but in completely ridiculous ways

He's got the reality stone but his brain's so mushy that the sporadic firings of his neurons are leading to this blessed existence lazy writing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Freudian slippers posted:

I am in no way, shape or form a lawyer, but I've glanced at the motion and it looks bad to me. It appears they're either flat out lying in a spectacular and even criminal way, or they've actually got something.

If they don't have the goods they are 100% getting nailed for slander/libel because the accusations are extremely specific including exact dollar figures that allegedly changed hands.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
And if the question becomes “surely no one would be stupid enough to open themselves up to libel by making specific poo poo up” I can only gesture vaguely in the direction of the Trump legal team.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

M.c.P posted:

And if the question becomes “surely no one would be stupid enough to open themselves up to libel by making specific poo poo up” I can only gesture vaguely in the direction of the Trump legal team.

This isn't Trump's legal team. It's one of the named conspirators (Mike Roman) and his attorney Ashley Merchant who are behind this filing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

cr0y posted:

This isn't Trump's legal team. It's one of the named conspirators (Mike Roman) and his attorney Ashley Merchant who are behind this filing.

Counter Point: The reason Mike Roman is where he is, was because he made multiple baseless allegations of election and voter fraud in the 2020 elections.
In other words, he would have form for this.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Counter Point: The reason Mike Roman is where he is, was because he made multiple baseless allegations of election and voter fraud in the 2020 elections.
In other words, he would have form for this.

Yup I totally agree with that. Just wanted to point out that this one specifically isn't from the clown car of morons that is the trump legal team. It's entirely possible that a new freshman class of moron lawyers is cutting their teeth, and on that note I did dig up his attorney and she has a law firm consisting of her and her dad.... So... I dunno.

I'm waiting for a response from Willis more than what we already got which was "Will talk later"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cr0y posted:

Yup I totally agree with that. Just wanted to point out that this one specifically isn't from the clown car of morons that is the trump legal team. It's entirely possible that a new freshman class of moron lawyers is cutting their teeth, and on that note I did dig up his attorney and she has a law firm consisting of her and her dad.... So... I dunno.

Atlanta law people on twitter are saying she is known and is not a hack.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Freudian slippers posted:

It's possible that it's a combination of the two. They're exaggerating what they believe to be true because they're basing it off a source, who they can throw under the bus if it blows up. Like if her ex-husband is convinced it happened and is willing to tell the world, but there's no actual hard evidence other than he said/she said.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

That's annoying, but it does make sense that some people in trump's circle might actually still have enough brain cells left to try and get decent legal council.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Just gonna toss out these profiles so people can read and form their own opinions

https://www.criminaldefenseattorneysmarietta.com/attorney-profiles/ashleigh-b-merchant/

https://profiles.superlawyers.com/georgia/marietta/lawyer/ashleigh-merchant/ab49380b-ffaf-4cff-8506-d6a53cc2265c.html

Definitely seems to be at least above average on the competence scale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

It's possible that it's a combination of the two. They're exaggerating what they believe to be true because they're basing it off a source, who they can throw under the bus if it blows up. Like if her ex-husband is convinced it happened and is willing to tell the world, but there's no actual hard evidence other than he said/she said.

Well, they're alleging trips together, hotel rooms, purchases from accounts, that sort of thing. So if true there should be receipts. They're alleging things that are trackable.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Perhaps we're all cursed and Trump is, in fact, the instrument of our destruction at the hands of YHWH.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 9, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
All that said without reading Georgia ethical rules etc. I'm not sure this if true is even a conflict. It's at least arguable that it's not. Everybody's a prosecutor. She's allowed to hire people, he's alllowed to spend money he's been paid on things. No law says you can't date co-workers.

If he was the appointed Trump *defense* counsel, that'd be bad! But they're all on the same side.

It *looks* horrible as poo poo and is definitely a violation of the "avoid the appearance of evil" rule but there's definitely room for a scenario where this stuff is at least partly true, but also, doesn't force the case off the rails.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it can be a conflict of interest to hire someone you are sleeping with, while also not being the same kind of conflict of interest that recusal is about. The tweet quoted above seem to conflate this.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

sebmojo posted:

What's the Georgia law around conflict of interest?

If the allegations are true, then the entire Fulton County DA office must recuse. The case falls to the Georgia AG, who may very well drop the case.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, they're alleging trips together, hotel rooms, purchases from accounts, that sort of thing. So if true there should be receipts. They're alleging things that are trackable.

Yes, but if they're basing those specific claims off "a dude with a stack of axes to grind told me so" that's possibly not technically criminal while still having absolutely no proof. We have to wait an see, but there's still room for them to both be full of poo poo and not making wild accusations out of thin air.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

saintonan posted:

If the allegations are true, then the entire Fulton County DA office must recuse. The case falls to the Georgia AG, who may very well drop the case.

Yea this is the poo poo part of it, if Willis is dirty the entire tree of people under her go down with the ship as well and I would imagine all of the work put in so far gets shredded.

If they can make this stick and have receipts it's a kill shot for the entire GA case and everyone involved will likely walk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What about the people who already plead guilty?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
The buzz I saw was both that the affair itself was a conflict but also Willis hired the guy to be a special prosecutor when he was not qualified under the law, using the case as a vehicle to pay the person she was having an affair with. That would be a conflict because you could argue that the people working the case have improper motive.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

saintonan posted:

Why would they have to recuse? None of the allegations seem serious at all.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Glimm posted:

Why would they have to recuse? None of the allegations seem serious at all.

That's Georgia law. If the DA is found to have a conflict of interest, the entire office is automatically disqualified from the case.

edit: I'm not saying the allegations are true, just stating what they are and what the effect of them being affirmed would be.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xiahou Dun posted:

What about the people who already plead guilty?

Ruining the lives off all the underlings while Boss Trump just skates away is at least on brand.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It’d be great if anyone could link sources on these claims.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It’d be great if anyone could link sources on these claims.

As the original post stated: there are no sources. There is no named witness, just an "unnamed source."

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Here's the bit of the filing where they talk about qualfiications and inflated pay rate.

https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1744504082893840700?s=20

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tesseraction posted:

As the original post stated: there are no sources. There is no named witness, just an "unnamed source."

There should be a source for all these asserted legal ramifications, though- something more specific than random Twitter commentators.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

saintonan posted:

It doesn't fall to the Georgia AG under current law, but it would fall to the much less equipped to handle the situation Prosecuting Attorney's Council. I think the guy on Twitter was confused about the law.

This is from the actual Georgia code:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
One thing to note is that lawyers are no less prone than other people for thinking they know more than they do and for shooting off big takes without full knowledge of the facts.

When you're fighting for your freedom, you're going to argue anything you can. Sometimes certain arguments work. Sometimes they don't. Alleging a prosecutorial conflict of interest, especially with a disqualification law like that Georgia law, is an incredibly common tactic.

I don't know what to make of this Andrew Fleischman guy. It sounds like he's an experienced criminal defense attorney (and seems to have that same, marketable disdain for DAs that every criminal defense attorneys I've met have), but that doesn't necessarily make him right. It's their bread and butter to make every DA look bad because it helps them in their jobs.

We'll just have to see how this argument plays out in court. Maybe Willis has some dirty laundry due to a messy divorce. According to Wikipedia, she's been divorced since 2005. Who knows what kind of horrible back and forth (which isn't always true) that caused.