Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's why I thought Gale would have my back on licking the spider twice, but nooooooo he's gotta be all high and mighty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It's unlikely licking a spider would give you godlike powers. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Opening the creepy book leads to some fun times with a few points in spore Druid, probably also necro wizard. Towards the end of my first game my Tav was full spore Druid, I’d read the book and had the spore Druid armor. Regularly walked into fights with an army of four ghouls, five fungal zombies, a Dryad and her tree, a minor elemental, and a myrmidon, plus any other zombies or skeletons I’d bring along.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pellisworth posted:

hard to beat swords bard for archer damage though.

This. I can’t help but feel like hunter is the worst class in the game, it can’t really do anything that another class can’t do better.

The whole gloomstalker/assassin thing has a definite niche - it’s not the highest damage archer build by a long shot, but it has a unique mix of stealth and surprising the enemy and frontloaded damage that makes it popular with folks doing solo runs; but it really requires you to commit to the gimmick at the expense of other roleplaying oportunities; and the build really doesn’t come together until late game.

A bard is strong from the get go and scales smoothly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

By lategame with my swords bard/fighter I was using a regular bow, because eight attacks with a poison/oil/etc applied was better than 9 attacks without, and you can use the bow that gives +1 to crit range to pull off nonsense like this:

It is pretty tough to beat dual hand-crossbows, though.

my favourite option is the bow that gives you an extra +4 to hit - really lets you just keep sharpshooter on at all times without worrying about advantage.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

now that I've got the sword of balduran I kind of want to respec my bard/paladin to Strength instead of Dex, just so I can get 2x Strengh + 2x Charisma bonus to damage (Cha damage from Oathbreaker level 7 and the diadem of arcane synergy)

that would ruin my archery ability and it's just so nice to be able to shoot like six arrows a turn with flourishes

I thought about doing that next run, on the basis that running around with a fighter is kinda bland but it’s a shame to waste that sword. but I keep coming back to ‘someone’s gotta pick the drat locks’

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Verviticus posted:

how is it not lae'zel, the person whose entire existence is running around to murder random people looking for an artifact to empower a lich

gale has some narcissistic tendencies but is ultimately someone who wants to do good. lae'zel straight up just wants to cut people in half because they arent githyanki

Well, from a Kantian point of view,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Verviticus posted:

how is it not lae'zel, the person whose entire existence is running around to murder random people looking for an artifact to empower a lich

gale has some narcissistic tendencies but is ultimately someone who wants to do good. lae'zel straight up just wants to cut people in half because they arent githyanki

She's also a child soldier raised into lunacy. Gale is just a human wizard from high society doing wizard poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's easy to appreciate Lae'zel because she demonstrates the most potential character growth out of anybody in the main cast. The cascade of revelations she is quickly asked to accept and believe are pure heresy to any devout githyanki, and if she fails then she knows there is absolutely no hope of survival. Yet she does it anyway, purely out of her own faith in the player character. She has that amazingly delivered line if you manage to persuade her against giving the artifact to the Inquisitor in the Creche that's like "T'skva... I hate that you speak the truth!" which pretty much encapsulates her entire character.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Gale is funny and interesting and powerful (at least on my team) and I find his hubris and overconfidence narratively compelling.

However, as a romance option I find him repulsive. I think he was the first to approach me at camp and I couldn't slam the "go away" button enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
In my ending Lae'zel became the beacon of hope for the gith after I told Orpheus to go squid mode because i didn't want to be a squid and Lae'zel was my gf. We had a nice holo call regarding her adventures in gith reform because she was still in space, it was lovely.

roomtwofifteen posted:

Gale is funny and interesting and powerful (at least on my team) and I find his hubris and overconfidence narratively compelling.

However, as a romance option I find him repulsive. I think he was the first to approach me at camp and I couldn't slam the "go away" button enough.

Yeah I can't imagine banging Gale or Halsin. Halsin is extremely gross because he suddenly tries it on and then gets all lovely thinking you had a connection. Bro I never take you on missions or talk to you, I just took you with me because you said you'd be helpful, please piss off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gale and Halsin are both handsome buff dudes, which is probably good enough for most people. Same reason Shadowheart is the #1 pick across the board, she's hot and does not look noticeably non-human, other than the pointy ears. That's how it be.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I've seen memes for every romance option and murder mommy Orin. It takes all sorts.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Moving from Kagha to Minthara to Orin in an ever-escalating series of 'I can fix her' relationships

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Babe you look great in that red meat dress. No Lady Gaga didn't wear it better, it's all you babe

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
How come Lae'zel gets a pass for her behaviour because of her upbringing but Gale doesn't?

Oh he's smug? Yeah no poo poo the literal godess of magic was telling him what a special boy he is.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Gale is superficially a "nice" guy in the sense he approves of you helping out the poor and downtrodden and resolving things nonviolently. However, Gale himself is selfish and power-hungry as gently caress and you have to actively push back against that tendency. If you do what he wants and asks of you it's all horribly dumb, dangerous poo poo for the sake of his own ambition.

Contrast Lae'zel who is a fresh out of boot camp grunt. She's OO RAH VLAAKITH!! and very naiive about the real world and Material plane. Superficially she's cruel and arrogant, but that softens over the course of the game.

With both LZ and Shadowheart, you kind of just show them the truth of things and they make the good-guy choices mostly on their own. With Gale you have to actively push back against what he wants or else he does stupid poo poo.

LZ, Astarion, and Shadowheart all come across as terrible people early in the game, but if you get to know them you find it's more that they've been abused or indoctrinated in various ways and underneath they can be decent people. Gale at his core is just raw ambition and pride.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Moving from Kagha to Minthara to Orin in an ever-escalating series of 'I can fix her' relationships

asking orin 'u ever done it in slayer form??'

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Because she scared me into a relationship instead of tricking me with tent magic :colbert:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Pellisworth posted:

LZ, Astarion, and Shadowheart all come across as terrible people early in the game, but if you get to know them you find it's more that they've been abused or indoctrinated in various ways and underneath they can be decent people. Gale at his core is just raw ambition and pride.

Lae'zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart also have ambition and pride at their core, and if you get to know Gale you find underneath he can also be a decent person. Hth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm at the second ketheric fight and its so ruthless compared to every other fight in the game. He heals for a ton when it happens, has an aoe that will wipe out a ton of people on low hp and you can't heal if you're on the same platform as him. Not to mention he's invulnerable at the start of the fight too so you have to waste turns on that. If he didn't heal for 40 each time I'd have managed to get a kill instead he did that aoe that knocked out 2 people, knocked someone off the platform into oblivion and knocked out nightsong

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

When people I like have deep-seated issues they can get over: They were good people all along you just have to fix them

When people I don't like have deep-seated issues they can get over: The deep-seated issues were the core of their being, they loving suck

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

Lae'zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart also have ambition and pride at their core, and if you get to know Gale you find underneath he can also be a decent person. Hth

astarion has a huge realization in act 2 if you havent done it, if you let him decide to turn down oblodra and you talk to him after it about it

Jose posted:

I'm at the second ketheric fight and its so ruthless compared to every other fight in the game. He heals for a ton when it happens, has an aoe that will wipe out a ton of people on low hp and you can't heal if you're on the same platform as him. Not to mention he's invulnerable at the start of the fight too so you have to waste turns on that. If he didn't heal for 40 each time I'd have managed to get a kill instead he did that aoe that knocked out 2 people, knocked someone off the platform into oblivion and knocked out nightsong

dimension door/misty step is so useful for that first round

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
How is the guy who's fully prepared to die if it means saving others only "superficially nice"?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It is very easy to drop a fog cloud, darkness, hunger of hadar etc on the avatar in a way that doesn’t impact your party. AOE like wall of fire etc is your friend in that fight too

You almost certainly have a ton of scrolls you haven’t been using, now’s the time

Edit: misread what phase of the fight but still use your scrolls use aoe

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 9, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For Ketheric I would focus on having a clean transition into Phase 2. Make sure there are no skeletons and incubating death active, even if it means you have to skip your turn to clear them all out. Harder to manage if Dame Aylin is pounding on him at the same time but you can usually swing it. The big scythe sweep can be a party wiper if your melee are all huddled together so space them out around the ring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It is very easy to drop a fog cloud, darkness, hunger of hadar etc on the avatar in a way that doesn’t impact your party. AOE like wall of fire etc is your friend in that fight too

You almost certainly have a ton of scrolls you haven’t been using, now’s the time

yeah the scrolls make sense and i have the rest on characters so i should do better second time around. I've got haste on an item on shadowheart so i'll probably stick that on astarion before the fight starts to get to nightsong faster too

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jose posted:

This was my strat for that fight:

I had my PC (Circle of the Moon druid) shapeshift into Sabre Tooth Tiger form and mad dash to Aylin. This took two turns of movement and I freed her on the 3rd turn.

For Ketheric, I dropped a Sleet Storm on him to limit his movement then dropped Silence on top of him to help mitigate spellcasting. I'm not sure if this helped or not, but he seemed to do less damage to the party that way. Shadowheart was also strategically using Sanctuary to help spread the damage around so that it was manageable.

Lae'zel Misty Stepped to the right platform with the Mind Flayer on it and took care of that, then jumped over to the central platform with Ketheric to tank him. Gale blew up the Intellect Devourers with Glyph of Warding/Fireball as my PC was freeing Aylin.

The left side platform was addressed the last and I used my remaining spell slots with Gale to clear them up with AOE spells.

Once Ketheric's invulnerability was cleared up, I made pretty short work of him with Lae'zel. She wound up getting knocked out towards the end of the fight, so I had to use Telekensis on her body during the Apostle of Myrkul to move her out of the healing negation aura so I could revive her.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

I've got haste on an item on shadowheart so i'll probably stick that on astarion before the fight starts to get to nightsong faster too

Now you’re thinkin

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also use your elixirs you don’t have to save them until the credits

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Also use your elixirs you don’t have to save them until the credits

you might need them later you fool

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
What do I need to throw dudes as a barbarian? Is it available right away or at a certain level to only a berserker (frenzied throw)? Guides are so drat vague. Is 20 STR enough for most human sized enemies?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

woodenchicken posted:

What do I need to throw dudes as a barbarian? Is it available right away or at a certain level to only a berserker (frenzied throw)? Guides are so drat vague. Is 20 STR enough for most human sized enemies?

you want as much str as you can get because of tavern brawler's double str bonus. 20 should be enough to throw most humanoids, but uh, really, the more the merrier, and you should be able to throw people as soon as you fit strength requirements, frenzied throw just gives some extra bonuses like increased knockdown chances when you hit stuff with it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sloober posted:

astarion has a huge realization in act 2 if you havent done it, if you let him decide to turn down oblodra and you talk to him after it about it

Really? In the conversation he said no and when pressed I said "he said no" and that seemed to be the end of it. He didn't have any other conversation options to discuss it later.

He does have a lot to say if you force him to accept the offer, of course.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

woodenchicken posted:

you should be able to just use vanilla Throw on stuff but it takes a full action. berserker's Enraged Throw lets you do it as a bonus action and it also inflicts prone, I think it does bonus damage too

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Really? In the conversation he said no and when pressed I said "he said no" and that seemed to be the end of it. He didn't have any other conversation options to discuss it later.

He does have a lot to say if you force him to accept the offer, of course.

he has a bunch of lines about how he got used to being used and now he doesn't have to be used anymore, and how the offer itself was viscerally repulsive

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am working on my 2nd honour mode playthrough and using spike growth + hunger of hadar on all the big fights in act 2 so far has been really satisfying

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Generally 18 strength is enough to throw goblins and 20 is enough for most humans. You'll need more to throw dudes wearing heavy armor.

E:

Sloober posted:

he has a bunch of lines about how he got used to being used and now he doesn't have to be used anymore, and how the offer itself was viscerally repulsive

Yeah that sounds like what you hear if you force him. It was just dropped entirely as a conversation point if you back him up, which was a bit disappointing since I've seen those dialog options before and they're really good character notes.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 9, 2024

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

you should be able to just use vanilla Throw on stuff but it takes a full action. berserker's Enraged Throw lets you do it as a bonus action and it also inflicts prone, I think it does bonus damage too
Hmmm, but I want to go Wild for wacky randomness... What to do, what to do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

woodenchicken posted:

Hmmm, but I want to go Wild for wacky randomness... What to do, what to do...

wild magic barb is ironically the most boring subclass