Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd advise against FreeCol for this specific purpose despite being the one I played the most, because it's crashed on me a couple of times, and it'd be immensely frustrating to waste screenshots, writeup, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the civ v mod with the vicky style politics is JFD’s sovereignty though I’m not sure if it still works with the current build of VP or if you need to get an old one. it has civ specific party names and titles which was a fun touch, I remember the loyalist one for the Huns was “Attila’s Chosen” and the revolutionary one was “Followers of Bleda”

it’s not visible in that screenshot but if you picked a parliamentary govt you’d get the full Vicky 2 ideological factions minus the anarcho libs who I think were replaced by something less silly

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since I've been reminded of it, here's an assassination spreadsheet a player was using to keep count of eliminated enemy commanders during a lategame war in a 30 player hellgame of Dominions 5:

This is all from a single war between Tír na nÓg and Ermor (not-Rome, with a mix of pre-Marian and Imperial era inspired stuff), with Baobhan Sidhes going wild on everything they could reach.

e: Commanders assassinated include a bunch of summons and non-national mages, so that's why it seems a bit all over the place themathically. :v:

my dad has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

let us know how difficult (or not) the interface is to deal with, since I assume it's just running over a DOSBOX wrapper

No difficulty whatsoever? Game runs smooth and the UI is pretty good.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

so looking forward in Wargame Red Dragon, any decent mods to look into? i see there's a bunch, but given that these kinds of games can attract a certain type of Gamer, i'd appreciate a heads-up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think I'm going to get this, but I don't know who to dragoon into playing with me.

Hapsburg Eclipse

Darin A. Leviloff's Hapsburg Eclipse is a solitaire States of Siege game on World War One in Eastern Europe from 1914-1918. The player controls the leadership of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and, peripherally, the German Central Staff who assumes greater and greater control over their ally. The Austro-Hungarians have unique challenges as they try to survive the onslaught of the “Russian Steamroller” and try to conquer the Serbs in the South. The mission will be complicated by the perseverance of those enemies; the difficulties with new fronts in Romania, the Balkans, and the Italian border; and the difficulty of keeping the Empire's restive nationalities from revolting from Hapsburg Rule.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

I think I'm going to get this, but I don't know who to dragoon into playing with me.

Hapsburg Eclipse

Darin A. Leviloff's Hapsburg Eclipse is a solitaire States of Siege game on World War One in Eastern Europe from 1914-1918. The player controls the leadership of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and, peripherally, the German Central Staff who assumes greater and greater control over their ally. The Austro-Hungarians have unique challenges as they try to survive the onslaught of the “Russian Steamroller” and try to conquer the Serbs in the South. The mission will be complicated by the perseverance of those enemies; the difficulties with new fronts in Romania, the Balkans, and the Italian border; and the difficulty of keeping the Empire's restive nationalities from revolting from Hapsburg Rule.

you made this yourself you aren't fooling anybody

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

you are trying to dragoon someone to play a solitaire game with you?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

BearsBearsBears posted:

Interesting, could you talk a bit more about what you didn't like in Civ4? It was my favorite mainline Civ but it certainly had its flaws. I'll start with a few things I didn't like but spoiler them if you want to think of your own first.

It's easily been 15 years since I've played, but I felt that it had too many systems. I've always imagined Civ to be a boardgame effectively, so the continued addition of gameplay elements what I wanted. I'm also not a fan of discrete agents on the game map, so things like the espionage system bothered me. I do know I'm in the minority here. Ultimately, it's probably just not the game I wanted to play more than anything.

I do agree about the tile improvements and costs though. I felt similarly about city improvement buildings as well. It wasn't always clear to me. I do think Civ5 did that aspect a bit better.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

why does the title of the card have an extra S in it?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Wrong helmets for the Middle Eastern theatre 0/10

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

TheHoosier posted:

so looking forward in Wargame Red Dragon, any decent mods to look into? i see there's a bunch, but given that these kinds of games can attract a certain type of Gamer, i'd appreciate a heads-up

As far as I know all the mods are just stat edits, they cannot do anything meaningful to the game.

Since no one talked about it yet, let me tell of the magic of the multiplayer as it is now.

The game as designed is more like the singleplayer. Pretty big maps. Lots of units. It's fine, but it isn't great.

But!

At some point in the last years the community started hosting servers called "tactical": 10vs10 games, on 1v1 maps, with low resources. It's completely alien to the game's original philosophy, but is actually genuinely awesome.

Instead of commanding a lot of forces, you usually start with 4-5 units. You specialize your force, decide what you want to do, and do it. Even if the team is bad, you can have fun thinking of your own personal objectives and the odds you face. It is much more micro heavy, but the micro with so few units is easier. Analyzing the tactical situation ahead of you is also easier. You don't have to worry about the whole map. You just zoom in on your chunk. Occasionally you want to look at the coarse flow of the whole game to see if you want to redeploy elsewhere on the map.

My advice to start one of those games is to spawn with a mid-range tank (90-120 pt), an anti-air (you don't want to get your tank blown up), and a recon unit. Save the rest of the points until you know what else you want to have. Playing like this you will pretty quickly get a sense of what is a threat to you, and what is a good target. You'll get the unit balance and you'll end up trying different combinations pretty soon.

A friend described it as "DotA for wargamers" and he wasn't wrong.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

sounds sick, I'll have to check that out

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish Steel Division had more, and better, Army General campaigns.

It's criminal that the new divisions didn't come with maps for Italy, Normandy etc.

e: And moreso that Eugen has not released any map editor tools.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Army General campaigns are the only part of the game I have any interest in so I just haven't had any reason at all to buy most of the DLC

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Civ v had some crazy mods near the end of its lifespan

link to the mod?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TheHoosier posted:

lookin forward to it. i get the impression this game is loving Hard and the fun may soon give way to frustration, but for now i'm down to continue

the game is easy because the A.I is stupid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
name one video game with an AI that isnt functionally retarded once a player figures out the game mechanics

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Solitaire.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Chess

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Go

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
backgammon.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Update on my ongoing Dominions 6 test game:

quote:

The entire nation rejoices. IDF Public Relations Department, God of Lanka, Prince of the Barge of Heaven, Drinker of Blood, Lord of Madness, Friend of Sailors, Author and Finisher of Our Faith has broken free.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Friend of sailors huh?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish Steel Division had more, and better, Army General campaigns.

It's criminal that the new divisions didn't come with maps for Italy, Normandy etc.

e: And moreso that Eugen has not released any map editor tools.

They are only now releasing an early "alpha" version of map tools for Warno, so it is somewhat unlikely that SD2 will ever get them. The tools will be released in a pretty barebones state, with users not being able to do much at the start. They plan to expand the toolset bit by bit, but seem to want to take it slow.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611600/view/3907500209551415345?l=english

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Typo posted:

link to the mod?

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/jfds-sovereignty-for-vp.677932/
there’s a steam workshop version but I’m not sure if it works or not nowadays

also when checking for this link I learned Rhye is back and actively developing rhyes and fall for civ v

maybe seeing some of the old modders coming back to 5 will get firaxis to get their poo poo together and prep the DLL for 7 https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/rhyes-and-fall.605/

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jan 8, 2024

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

my dad posted:

Since I've been reminded of it, here's an assassination spreadsheet a player was using to keep count of eliminated enemy commanders during a lategame war in a 30 player hellgame of Dominions 5:

This is all from a single war between Tír na nÓg and Ermor (not-Rome, with a mix of pre-Marian and Imperial era inspired stuff), with Baobhan Sidhes going wild on everything they could reach.

e: Commanders assassinated include a bunch of summons and non-national mages, so that's why it seems a bit all over the place themathically. :v:

it mildly bugs me that there’s like 5 Romes in that series but not a single one with the classic Marian legions. just maniples that suddenly turn into post crisis of the third century field armies

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m fine with that considering that the Marian Reforms didn’t actually happen :colbert:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

steam taking a hard Trotskyist line that capitalist restoration happened in degenerate worker’s states by including workers and resources in its “capitalism and economy” sale

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Endman posted:

I’m fine with that considering that the Marian Reforms didn’t actually happen :colbert:

The Marian Reforms were an inside job.

Endman
May 18, 2010

This guy explains it better than I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLZTFh-TGXE

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

FrancisFukyomama posted:

steam taking a hard Trotskyist line that capitalist restoration happened in degenerate worker’s states by including workers and resources in its “capitalism and economy” sale

isnt w&r 0% off right now though. no capitalism discount

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

i've had a situation where someone was surprised that I was on the left because i played wargames and heavy economic games, but I don't think the trend is a prevalent nowadays as it used to be

although before the soviet archives opened in the 90s, wargaming was basically a landscape dominated by clean wehrmacht myths and the "enemy at the gates" fever-dream of the eastern front, as well as outright nazi small press studios that pushed hard the "heroes on both sides" bullshit (but only on the western front, of course)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's all anticommunism all the way down.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol people would be real confused about my politics then eh?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Frosted Flake posted:

lol people would be real confused about my politics then eh?

pal you're confused about your politics, let alone anyone else

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

John Charity Spring posted:

pal you're confused about your politics, let alone anyone else

When you do wargames professionally, you see beyond the lunar sphere.

All military science is geometry, and so is the movement of the heavenly spheres.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

disco elysium is not included in the sale though. fail on steam's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Endman posted:

This guy explains it better than I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLZTFh-TGXE

according to historians nothing ever happened everything is just constantly changing towards itself