Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

queeb posted:

man i was skippin this league but now it sounds kinda hella awesome, i may come back. if you were league starting now what would you play

Probably something penance brand as it's super good. Best league in a while imo, possibly ever. (Not counting expansions like ascendancy points) So much bonkers poo poo going on, it's great. Reminds me of older PoE leagues where there was always like a race to find broken poo poo cause of all of the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Vasudus posted:

I personally wouldn't start this late in the league because the economy is capital-F hosed for anything remotely high end.

This seems very untrue or at least highly dependent on your build/goals for the league and definition of high end. Like this is surely the fastest "zero to mageblood" league ever right?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

queeb posted:

man i was skippin this league but now it sounds kinda hella awesome, i may come back. if you were league starting now what would you play

If I were to start the league right now, I'd roll some sort of charge stacker. Ralakesh boots and a Badge of the Brotherhood are dirt cheap and just open a world of possibilities on any spell/brand/CoC build. Inquisitor, Occultist, Trickster, whatever class you like will get some decent damage and crit chance very easily, and then the possibilities for scaling that up just never end with corruptions and charms and synth implicits up into the mirror+ budgets, so you'll always have some upgrades to chase.

J
Jun 10, 2001

goferchan posted:

Like this is surely the fastest "zero to mageblood" league ever right?

Yes, easily. If I were starting from scratch right now I would probably either do white map essence/beast farming, or do a wandering path map sustain boss rush atlas ping ponging city square and park printing out exarch invitations for 3 divines a pop and selling the excess maps. Both require very little character power to do. It wouldn't take long at all to build up some starter capital, and anything sourced by MF this league is way cheaper than usual. The charge stacker setup mentioned 1 post up is dirt rear end cheap and would let you play around with all sorts of new gems. This is probably the closest to ruthmore we'll ever have.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Never really messed with beasts before this league but they've been very good to me; they seem to have some nice boosts to drops that make them more likely to give scarab explosions etc. and either I've had good luck with the Imprint beasts or they're just not that rare -- grabbed a few of the "captured beasts are duplicated" compasses since they're dirt cheap and running into a Craicic Chimeral is a sweet little 7.5div windfall

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Beasts are used in all of the tippy top 1% item crafts but hardly anyone touches them, myself included, they are very quick to sell too since the top 1% crafting cabal is always in need of more.

Aside from that just having more rare monsters in your map is really nice and the red ones are worth a heap of exp.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

3.23.0d Patch Notes posted:

Fixed and changed the requirements of the Ruthless Eldritch Engagement Challenge. It now requires: 15 Searing Exarch Altars with Wrath of the Cosmos, 15 Eater of Worlds Altars with Eldritch Gaze, and 25 Witness Map Bosses with Destructive Play.

Well that speeds that up

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

This league has been nuts for me. Last night in the span of about 10 maps I had these events:

Mirror of Kalandra dropped from the first pack after a bad enough woods that I considered abandoning the map
Mageblood on the ground (one div to get it to 4 flasks)
Two enlightens in the same map
Hit 100 on the self ignite build, my first since a Vaal Fireball build that ran thousands of strands in legacy league. This character did no 5-ways, it just stumbled up to 96 a few hours after reaching maps because it can do juiced t16 as soon as you kill kitava.

I'm going to do one more build, with about two mirrors of raw currency as the starting budget. Probably trickster but haven't decided

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
Also, running the 4th lab just to transfigure gems is a decent kickstarter, for example uncorrupted penance brand of dissipation starts at 2.4 div right now. Just don't do what I do and run it but forget to stuck up on gems first
:negative:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dukberry posted:

This league has been nuts for me. Last night in the span of about 10 maps I had these events:

Mirror of Kalandra dropped from the first pack after a bad enough woods that I considered abandoning the map
Mageblood on the ground (one div to get it to 4 flasks)
Two enlightens in the same map
Hit 100 on the self ignite build, my first since a Vaal Fireball build that ran thousands of strands in legacy league. This character did no 5-ways, it just stumbled up to 96 a few hours after reaching maps because it can do juiced t16 as soon as you kill kitava.

I'm going to do one more build, with about two mirrors of raw currency as the starting budget. Probably trickster but haven't decided

That's insane. What do you do for leveling the Chieftain, and the bosses on the way to t16 since I heard the build is bad at even map bossing?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need 20-30 div to even get it started. So clear the atlas with another character or just do a bog standard RF/ fire trap build

Imho. Just my opinion.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Build is completely fine for map bossing. Pop Vaal breach and win.

For pinnacle bossing you can weapon swap yaomac’s accord with a little flask charge generation for the soul flask and refresh the ignite with curses, but it’s a slightly different setup

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

You need 20-30 div to even get it started. So clear the atlas with another character or just do a bog standard RF/ fire trap build

Imho. Just my opinion.

I have 20-30 div, what do I buy as a starter kit to get rolling?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vaal breach is 18 divs atm

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

That's insane. What do you do for leveling the Chieftain, and the bosses on the way to t16 since I heard the build is bad at even map bossing?

I leveled with Poets Pen and just being wildly twinked. This wasn't my first character so I literally put a t16 map in with 60% delirious in as soon as I had 75% ignite and freeze immune and the reflect staff equipped. Alira in burial chambers is the only map boss I did and because she has soul eater she causes enough cast on stun procs that her and her trash killed her without much waiting. I usually skipped though.

Imo Vaal Breach is fine for the times you truly need to single target, it carried me through my King in the Mist kill for example, and a few lich fights. Anything where that's not enough, or you can't get the cast off is not what the build is for. The build is for quantity and whatever rarity you can get because all the power is in your tree and the fulcrum.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Mentat Radnor posted:

If I were to start the league right now, I'd roll some sort of charge stacker. Ralakesh boots and a Badge of the Brotherhood are dirt cheap and just open a world of possibilities on any spell/brand/CoC build. Inquisitor, Occultist, Trickster, whatever class you like will get some decent damage and crit chance very easily, and then the possibilities for scaling that up just never end with corruptions and charms and synth implicits up into the mirror+ budgets, so you'll always have some upgrades to chase.

I didn't think about charge stacker! If OP plays trade hit me up and you can have my charge stacking Jugg gear. (Note I am going on vacation for a week tomorrow so...heh)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Andohz posted:

Also, running the 4th lab just to transfigure gems is a decent kickstarter, for example uncorrupted penance brand of dissipation starts at 2.4 div right now. Just don't do what I do and run it but forget to stuck up on gems first
:negative:

You dont even need the 4th lab, first one does just fine (all labs have transfigurate option, later ones just add currency/qual/exp etc options) and funded all my -th characters i rolled before getting to maps this scuffed leaguestart.
I WILL SPECULATE that it does seem to ~favour~ same tags, but this is speculation. I have only a small amount of gem transfigs but every time I got PBoD (4 atm i think?) was from the storm brand right out of my current setup (every lab on every character I inserted a blue spell skill gem into the font)

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 9, 2024

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
I have no idea if the higher labs have more weighting for it but I feel like I got the "transfigure normal gem to random transfigured version of that gem" more often on the 4th lab but my sample size is like 2 runs so :v:

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
My highly scientific and not at all anecdotal experience from 7 lab runs leads me to suspect that the t-gems spit out by the lab altars are 100% random. The blue gems have the largest pool, so target farming a particular gem is going to rely a lot on luck.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Andohz posted:

I have no idea if the higher labs have more weighting for it but I feel like I got the "transfigure normal gem to random transfigured version of that gem" more often on the 4th lab but my sample size is like 2 runs so :v:

It was mentioned in I think the faq that they did on the forum that the uber lab has a much higher chance to offer this option. I remember because I wrongly interpreted what they said as that option being guaranteed in uber lab

e: GGG also confused the issue by incorrectly stating that the font would only transfigure gems in uber lab, although they did eventually correct this

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 9, 2024

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I think one of the fancy uber labs give you a 'transform a gem into the other version of that specific gem'. Along with the 'make an exceptional gem', but that said, I've only seen it once or twice, so I could still be wrong.

I know I didn't get my first transfigured gem for like 6 normal labs.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Counterpoint: running lab sucks

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

frankenbeans posted:

I think one of the fancy uber labs give you a 'transform a gem into the other version of that specific gem'. Along with the 'make an exceptional gem', but that said, I've only seen it once or twice, so I could still be wrong.

I know I didn't get my first transfigured gem for like 6 normal labs.

Dedication of the Goddess gives you the option to transfigure corrupted gems, all other options are available from Uber lab.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

External Organs posted:

Counterpoint: running lab sucks

At some point I will try to make a "run so fast you glitch through walls" character to see if that makes it fun

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I hated Vaal Breach because the cast time was way too long and there's the whole "you get stunned by literally every hit, by design" part. I bought at 12 and sold two days later at 18. It couldn't rescue me from Kosis in late 20s sims, which is what I wanted it for, so I had my wander log in as a rescue.

If you need Vaal Breach for something, you're doing it wrong. That build lives in extremely high packsize, high quantity, obscenely juiced maps. Don't try doing other content.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

goferchan posted:

You may not need lifetap on the 6-link at this point; the helm "reduced cost of attacks" implicit exists so you can dump that for another gem. Momentum is an easy one to slot in and a great boost to clear.

i slotted in item rarity support, for item rarity league. well, that's my suggestion

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

hit the fracture on the second base i tried and its still the most expensive thing ive ever crafted. settled for t2 es + crafted bcos i dont hate myself, and base limits it to t2 res, so i can still upgrade eventually lol

nevermind

needs some divining and a few more tailoring orbs to hit 12% instead of 8% but i want to get the other stuff done so i can switch now

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ok I’m done playing other games. Ready to dive back into PoE next league since my hands don’t hurt all the time anymore. When does that start? March?

Ran through:
Control (good and gets bonus points for rolling a Porcupine Tree song during the credits)
Axiom Verge 2 (bad)
RE4 Remake (v good)

If I’ve gotta go play something else I’ll probably pick up Baldur’s Gate 3

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
He is risen!!!!

Next league is probably March or April.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Frank Frank posted:

Ok I’m done playing other games. Ready to dive back into PoE next league since my hands don’t hurt all the time anymore. When does that start? March?

Ran through:
Control (good and gets bonus points for rolling a Porcupine Tree song during the credits)
Axiom Verge 2 (bad)
RE4 Remake (v good)

The next league will probably be in March, yeah, barring any delays.

Though personally I'd recommend trying out this league - it's pretty crazy, and with your luck you'll probably have a Mageblood, Headhunter, and Mirror by the end of your first week.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The only weirdness around the next league launch date might be how they want to time the one after with the PoE2 beta launch (June 7).

DaveWoo posted:

Though personally I'd recommend trying out this league - it's pretty crazy, and with your luck you'll probably have a Mageblood, Headhunter, and Mirror by the end of Act 1.

FTFY

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Ran through:
Axiom Verge 2 (bad)
RE4 Remake (v good)

Your prerogative, but if you’ve enjoyed mapping in past leagues you should def consider this one. Mapping may never be this juicy again

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I hate playing catch-up though so I’ll probably just wait. League seasons are short enough already without me cutting it in half and trying to do things.

Like I said earlier, I’m most definitely not leaving PoE, just taking a break because I was:

A) spending WAY too much time on the game and with the holidays, a sick spouse and family stuff, I just wasn’t going to be able to bring my A game. I can’t really take my in-game time as a true indicator of how much I played over the past year since I left myself afk a lot for trade stuff but I’m well over 1k hours in in less than a year according to my PlayStation.

B) I’m old and I had honest to god repetitive motion injuries in both hands from grinding PoE

C) I love the game more than any game I’ve played in recent memory and didn’t want to burn out.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Frank Frank posted:

B) I’m old and I had honest to god repetitive motion injuries in both hands from grinding PoE

I really recommend some compression gloves. It's helped me. You can find cheap pairs on Amazon, which are the exact same as more expensive ones (at least, seems so to me, I have both kinds).

I use them for any PC games as well as when I'm needing to type a lot.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Thanks. Ill probably do this before next league start

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

wemgo posted:

Also, this raxx guy, the maxroll ceo, sure does come across as annoying for some reason. Maybe its because youtube is spamming me with his content or maybe its because on his first league he’s already gotten multiple copies of every chase item.

I personally think it's a good thing that he found success in the game (even if it was using every resource that he had available, that almost nobody else would have which included a mirror tier crafter babysitting his first big craft) because it shows a whole new set of arpg gamers that both this game is quite fun & that you can just simply ignore the stuff you don't wanna do or learn and it'll still work out.

it's also extremely funny to me to see him smile about something that isn't just doom laughing at the latest blizzard fuckup due to them not being able to do basic math

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Ran through:
Axiom Verge 2 (bad)
RE4 Remake (v good)

You should play this league. It is nuts and the nerf bat is going to hit hard next league (probably)

Even if you just play casually, the meta has really changed. Also, the league mechanic is completely broken and spits out hyper-rare items and cash. We’re talking more than 40d per map more often then every before.

Something like 25% of the high level player base owns a mageblood.

wemgo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 9, 2024

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Counterpoint: you should not play this league because everyone is fabulously wealthy and you would lose your special status. You would not be Frank Frank, you would just be Frank, and that's just too sad.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I bet there are some op skills going under the radar since penance brand is so awesome and sucking up a lot of oxygen.

I don't know any though :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Tonetta posted:

I personally think it's a good thing that he found success in the game (even if it was using every resource that he had available, that almost nobody else would have which included a mirror tier crafter babysitting his first big craft) because it shows a whole new set of arpg gamers that both this game is quite fun & that you can just simply ignore the stuff you don't wanna do or learn and it'll still work out.

it's also extremely funny to me to see him smile about something that isn't just doom laughing at the latest blizzard fuckup due to them not being able to do basic math

Yeah, im sure hes a swell dude. my criticism is definitely fueled by the ease of his success in this game ive been beating my head against since 2014.

That and his weird AI generated youtube thumbnails. Blue hoodies scare me now