Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's fine, they've discovered a policy now.

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1744662443773558980

Can't wait for the reveal in 10 years time that it's the 'banter' one developed by Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol the silver lining of having such a complete shower of shite in total control of the labour party is you can have a good laugh at them being shat all over by equally cunty people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's the undercurrent of framing "this barrister worked for free to get death sentences commuted to life imprisonment" as "this man loves child killers" though, Cole is also going for the "scrap the human rights act and bring back hanging" angle, which is cunty whether he's using Starmer or Lucy Letby or whoever.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BBC News posted:

Department for Education (DfE) data shows more than one out of every five children in England are persistently absent from school - double the proportion before the Covid pandemic.

Hmm yes, we need an AI to figure out why sickness in schools has increased after letting a virus with long-term health complications run rampant through them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's not illness in the kids, kids aren't affected by covid in those proportions. It's social and environmental factors - parents realising that if they don't go into a office 5 days a week why shouls kids have to go into school 5 days a week? And many kids going through the pandemic years without social contact and isolation leading to not being able to cope with the school environment and schools having no funding or support to do anything but throw them where they should be and hope for the best. Its not great, and we're just building up more and more problems for the future. But I'm sure a strict displinarian approach will work great and getting them all back with no resentment whatsoever.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also turning schools into punishment zones as Birbalsingh envisions probably does make kids not want to go to the textbook prison.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress that guy

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently you can get vaccinated against certain nonces now though, which is encouraging.

The pro-vaccine marketing has stepped up a gear I see.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Also turning schools into punishment zones as Birbalsingh envisions probably does make kids not want to go to the textbook prison.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Angrymog posted:

Nope.

We're on coastal marshland if that helps at all.

Everything else points to green woodpecker: green back, yellow on the rump which you'd see when flying, low sinusoidal flight, ground feeding and a little longer than a collared dove. You might not see the red head if it's a brief view or you're seeing it with the top of the head pointing away from you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

See I thought green woodpecker but the thing I always see first is the red head

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tesseraction posted:

See I thought green woodpecker but the thing I always see first is the red head

As is suggested it I thought to myself “…if you were to describe it accurately, but in a way no-one ever would.”

Edit: my Collins bird guide from 1988 has a grey-headed woodpecker across Central Europe, an Asian species “expected to expand its range further westwards and northwards”. It looks like a green woodpecker without the red head.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 9, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Post Office Ladybastard has resigned her Honour.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I meant to post this the other day, and they say satire doesn’t work.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lemurtron posted:

Everything else points to green woodpecker: green back, yellow on the rump which you'd see when flying, low sinusoidal flight, ground feeding and a little longer than a collared dove. You might not see the red head if it's a brief view or you're seeing it with the top of the head pointing away from you.

If I see it again I'll try to get a look at the head. Do both male and female birds have the red head?

Looking at some videos of them, it does sound likely.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 9, 2024

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sanford: what happens when you are sick or take some well-earned leave? If your immediate response is “lol I’m too busy to do either” then that should be a red flag with cartoon AWOOGA klaxon that you’re being overworked and burnout is on the way.

E: to clarify, your own individual workload and stress is what you should be bringing up to your boss. It’s up to him to connect the dots and hire someone new or whatever, but if he’s not entirely stupid he’ll want to know his employee is seriously overburdened.

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 9, 2024

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

People should be supported when they are unable to work; it is objectively good that your boss is understanding that this person struggles. What's not acceptable is you're being left in the lurch due to someone being habitually unreliable. Part of letting people with healths issues work is giving them roles that fit their capabilities. You do not give someone with severe Parkinsons a welder, you do not put a deaf person in charge of audio engineering, you do not have the anxious guy arranging meetings 100s of miles away that he might bail on at a moment's notice.

Employees with a disability are entitled to reasonable adjustments to remove or help mitigate disadvantages relating to their disability.

Anxiety is not automatically considered a disability, but in the case of Sanford's colleague, I think it would meet the relevant criteria of being:

-A physical or mental impairment; and
-The impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Reasonable adjustments can include changing their working arrangements, exploring alternate ways of doing tasks, providing additional equipment or support, or making changes in the workplace.

How far the 'reasonable' in reasonable adjustments should go is not strictly defined. Generally it depends upon whether the adjustments are practical, relatively affordable and don't endanger or negatively impact others too much.

However, reasonable does not include things that would fundamentally change the nature of the role. For example, if you are a customer service representative but your anxiety prevents you talking to customers - unless another role was immediately available - 'not dealing with any customers' would not be considered reasonable.

It sounds like various mitigations and adjustments have already been made - in terms of adjusting their working patterns, allowing unconventional working hours, allowing phased returns after absences, etc. Whether more adjustments are needed is subjective - it doesn't sound like more would help, but we're only seeing a partial picture/one side of the story.

My gut feeling is this is now a performance/capability issue. If the person is not or cannot do their job after everything possible has been done to make reasonable adjustments and address barriers related to their disability, then other options, like redeployment or dismissal are possibilities. Its complicated though, so if things are really that bad your boss is better off just giving them a payoff.

I'm an employee representative in my organisation (we don't have a union, we have elected employee reps to act as a conduit for staff to raise anonymous concerns without repercussion to management and represent their views, support them with problems they are having, etc), and this is very much a live issue - with a couple of live cases of staff whose anxiety is causing them to be unable to carry out key functions of their role, and trying to get in place appropriate adjustments, that meet their needs but don't disadvantage their colleagues. Its not easy or simple.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

escapegoat posted:

My personal hope is that Starmer is enough of a windsock to bow to public pressure.
He is, but unfortunately the 'public pressure' that is shown to him by the party's right is only the most insane, hang 'em all, send 'em all back poo poo they can find. Starmer is not someone who comissions polls to find out what the public wants, he is a smart suit that Luke Akehurst shows push-polls to get him to do what he wants.

Tesseraction posted:

People should be supported when they are unable to work; it is objectively good that your boss is understanding that this person struggles. What's not acceptable is you're being left in the lurch due to someone being habitually unreliable.
My usual way of squaring this circle is that everyone is entitled to certain things. They just don't have the right to steal it from someone else who has that thing. It is the duty of government to provide when its citizens are failed like this.

This guy deserves time off to sort his poo poo out. Sanford doesn't deserve to have all of this guy's poo poo dumped on him.

Tesseraction posted:

Part of letting people with healths issues work is giving them roles that fit their capabilities. You do not give someone with severe Parkinsons a welder, you do not put a deaf person in charge of audio engineering, you do not have the anxious guy arranging meetings 100s of miles away that he might bail on at a moment's notice.
Again, that would be great if this country's benefits system didn't kill people for refusing jobs they know they're going to be poo poo at.

My brother works for a company who have just taken on a guy who was about to lose his benefits. He has long covid and it's destroyed his working memory. And they've stuck him in the warehouse doing inventory. He loses poo poo, sends stuff to the wrong places. Costs everyone time, money and resources being in a job he cannot do. But if he quits, he loses his benefits and the jobcentre will send him to something else absolutely unsuitable.

The DWP does not believe people even if they have an understood diagnosis, or did we all forget a few pages ago the headlines about the government cracking down on people 'claiming' to have anxiety and depression?

This cruel system just forces more and more people to remain in situations like this. Honestly, most people have had someone at their job who is bad at it and doesn't want to be there. That's an argument for why those people should just be allowed to not work. Of course this argument only holds water under UBI, otherwise you slam straight back to 'why should they get everything for free, I have to work to feed my kids etc etc.'

Shits hosed out there, lets not pretend 'he should simply get a less stressful job' is an option. There are no good options under our current regime.

Don't get mad at the guy who can't do his job, be mad at the system that forces him to be there or die.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 9, 2024

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Tigey posted:

My gut feeling is this is now a performance/capability issue. If the person is not or cannot do their job after everything possible has been done to make reasonable adjustments and address barriers related to their disability, then other options, like redeployment or dismissal are possibilities.

Exactly this. Reasonable adjustments have been made, there's been a lot of leeway given in terms of time off etc.
But there comes a point where you have to accept he's not suitable for the job.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not blaming them for taking a position they can't fulfil because of the DWP being Arbeit Macht Frei, I'm criticising the boss for not taking into account that this person's inability to do the job reliably means that Sanford is being overworked when the whole point of a second employee was to stop him from burning out.

As I said, if this additional employee cannot cover the slack, hire a third employee, or as I say in my post, don't have the anxious person book 100 mile commutes if they cannot commit to them. Have them do the short hauls that won't gently caress Sanford over if they back out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't mean to say you're wrong, I'm just pointing out another way of looking at it. It's very easy to look at the situation and decide who the baddie is, when it can sometimes be more helpful to see that the situation itself is what's hosed and deal with it from there.

Not you specifically Tessreraction, but a lot of people over the last page saying he shouldn't have that job, and to those people I'd ask what should he do? Bearing in mind we all know in depth how hosed the DWP is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah realising he has it seems pretty crippling anxiety means I'm much more sympathetic to the plight. The baddy is obviously the system. And below that the subsystem of the boss not handling Sanford's workload responsibly.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Sucks that this guy is struggling with anxiety. He should get therapy, or do steps to wellbeing, or a PIP assessment.
Maybe move him into an admin position, and not one where he's client facing

If you're a CSM and regularly flake out on your customers, that's gonna negatively impact the customer's relationship with the business. If enough customers get sick of the service they are receiving and leave, then everyone will be out of a job - not just the person with anxiety

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 9, 2024

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't get mad at the guy who can't do his job, be mad at the system that forces him to be there or die.

I am trying my dude believe me.

Tesseraction posted:

As I said, if this additional employee cannot cover the slack, hire a third employee, or as I say in my post, don't have the anxious person book 100 mile commutes if they cannot commit to them. Have them do the short hauls that won't gently caress Sanford over if they back out.

The funniest part is I’m a fully remote worker and he’s not. The meeting I had to get to at three hours notice just before Christmas was at a hospice 17 miles from the office, 9 miles from his house, and 136 miles from mine.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Angrymog posted:

If I see it again I'll try to get a look at the head. Do both male and female birds have the red head?

Looking at some videos of them, it does sound likely.

M+F both have red heads (Great Spotted only male has red on neck). If you hear something laughing it's a good ident as well (unless it's someone in the bushes reading Labour policy announcements).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE ELSE FROM THE OFFICE GO

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tesseraction posted:

WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE ELSE FROM THE OFFICE GO

Maybe, maybe the software director could have done it, but he was in India. The alternative would have been letting down a group of people who work in or have recently used the services of a hospice. You see my predicament? I know this is a problem for the business and for my colleague, not me. Nevertheless.

Edit: ANYWAY THEM TORIES EH?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I feel after a certain amount of distance you should be allowed to say "gently caress it I will comfort them via Zoom"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/politics_co_uk/status/1744697474600595955?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Decided Sir Kid Starver represented too passive a commitment to child murder?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

I am trying my dude believe me.

The funniest part is I’m a fully remote worker and he’s not. The meeting I had to get to at three hours notice just before Christmas was at a hospice 17 miles from the office, 9 miles from his house, and 136 miles from mine.

Don't let your good nature land you in the poo poo with this situation, document all interactions where you can.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/politics_co_uk/status/1744697474600595955?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Decided Sir Kid Starver represented too passive a commitment to child murder?

It's fine, kids don't get Covid.

Prevalence and risk factor for long COVID in children and adolescents: A meta-analysis and systematic review posted:

Based on 40 studies with 12,424 individuals, the pooled prevalence of any long COVID was 23.36 % ([95 % CI 15.27–32.53]). The generalized symptom (19.57 %, [95 % CI 9.85–31.52]) was reported most commonly, followed by respiratory (14.76 %, [95 % CI 7.22–24.27]), neurologic (13.51 %, [95 % CI 6.52–22.40]), and psychiatric (12.30 %, [95% CI 5.38–21.37]). Dyspnea (22.75 %, [95% CI 9.38–39.54]), fatigue (20.22 %, [95% CI 9.19–34.09]), and headache (15.88 %, [95 % CI 6.85–27.57]) were most widely reported specific symptoms. The prevalence of any symptom during 3–6, 6–12, and> 12 months were 26.41 % ([95 % CI 14.33–40.59]), 20.64 % ([95 % CI 17.06–24.46]), and 14.89 % ([95 % CI 6.09–26.51]), respectively. Individuals with aged over ten years, multisystem inflammatory syndrome, or had severe clinical symptoms exhibited higher prevalence of long COVID in multi-systems. Factors such as older age, female, poor physical or mental health, or had severe infection or more symptoms were more likely to have long COVID in pediatric survivors.

Nearly one quarter of pediatric survivors suffered multisystem long COVID, even at 1 year after infection. Ongoing monitoring, comprehensive prevention and intervention is warranted for pediatric survivors, especially for individuals with high risk factors.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9990879/

Oh, nevermind.

blunt fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 9, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Squinting at this trying to figure out how this is different from just "being a prick". Everyone has stressors, if you translate that into the end result of "being a prick" then the middle part isn't really that important to anyone else. It is possible as an adult to take stock of how your actions affect others and take mitigating steps, not limited to; getting treatment for your anxiety, getting a different job that removes those stressors, shutting the gently caress up, apologising for wrongs done, taking responsibility for your own workload. There are many ways to be less of a prick!

Have you ever suffered from mental illness?

Anxiety is distinct from "being a bit stressed". If you've ever had that awful feeling of dread that comes with either experiencing or anticipating life-changing bad news - like a close loved one being close to death, or going through a really bad breakup, you may know the feeling of being extremely agitated, frustrated, afraid, to the point where you're suffering from physical symptoms like elevated heart rate, nausea etc.

At my worst, with anxiety, I felt like that - the very peak of emotional agitation, fear and panic, for three days straight. Without respite. Without a conscious trigger. It's just something that comes on without warning. Sometimes I wake up feeling like it, sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it starts in the middle of the day without warning. And like I said, there's usually not a conscious trigger.

If you have general anxiety related to work, as I have had, "getting a different job" does not solve that, and "taking responsibility for your own workload", again, this person may be trying, but it's not really possible if you're having panic attacks. Getting treatment for anxiety isn't really a thing in the NHS as I understand it - I mean *theoretically* it is, but in practice, no. I went to the doctor about mine and they immediately just said "We'll put you on beta blockers". Common side effects of beta blockers are: Dizziness, tiredness, blurred vision, cold hands and feet, slow heartbeat, diarrhoea, nausea. I know lots of people do take medication for anxiety but the idea of being on these drugs, plus all of the side effects that come with various ones, has been something I've always wanted to avoid, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

You can absolutely "try to be less of a prick" but if the whole concept of interacting with the work/job system gives you panic attacks, many ways which you might think would be straightforward to do so in this context may not really be possible for you.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Fire all sick employees imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
give them a beating, for good measure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Surely it would be better if they'd just die, and decrease the surplus population?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It smell like DWP in here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhatEvil posted:

Have you ever suffered from mental illness?

Anxiety is distinct from "being a bit stressed". If you've ever had that awful feeling of dread that comes with either experiencing or anticipating life-changing bad news - like a close loved one being close to death, or going through a really bad breakup, you may know the feeling of being extremely agitated, frustrated, afraid, to the point where you're suffering from physical symptoms like elevated heart rate, nausea etc.

At my worst, with anxiety, I felt like that - the very peak of emotional agitation, fear and panic, for three days straight. Without respite. Without a conscious trigger. It's just something that comes on without warning. Sometimes I wake up feeling like it, sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it starts in the middle of the day without warning. And like I said, there's usually not a conscious trigger.

If you have general anxiety related to work, as I have had, "getting a different job" does not solve that, and "taking responsibility for your own workload", again, this person may be trying, but it's not really possible if you're having panic attacks. Getting treatment for anxiety isn't really a thing in the NHS as I understand it - I mean *theoretically* it is, but in practice, no. I went to the doctor about mine and they immediately just said "We'll put you on beta blockers". Common side effects of beta blockers are: Dizziness, tiredness, blurred vision, cold hands and feet, slow heartbeat, diarrhoea, nausea. I know lots of people do take medication for anxiety but the idea of being on these drugs, plus all of the side effects that come with various ones, has been something I've always wanted to avoid, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

You can absolutely "try to be less of a prick" but if the whole concept of interacting with the work/job system gives you panic attacks, many ways which you might think would be straightforward to do so in this context may not really be possible for you.

I don't know where you're at now, but I know several people who take meds for anxiety and they've all said it's been a life changer. Yes, there are side effects. They vary from person to person and you can stop if it doesn't feel worth it (though usually not cold turkey! Consult your doctor!), but for symptoms as severe as you're describing I would definitely look into it. Worst case, you write it off. Best case, you have some mild nausea after meals every now and then and stop having 3 day panic attacks.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The person who said that it's one thing to make accommodations for an employee and another when they fundamentally can't do their job is right. Everyone has a right to a livelihood regardless of their mental health issues, but I don't think they have a right to a specific job, especially if it's highly specialised or technical.

When I was a teen I had a major anxiety disorder that basically made me agoraphobic for about seven years. A couple of years ago, after a series of escalating stressful situations, I experienced a sudden regression to that anxiety disorder and I've been dealing with it ever since. I'm in academia, so I have to handle lots of different kind of specialised tasks and I work closely with my colleagues on them; our department is also largely egalitarian, so when someone doesn't do their job properly it directly translates into others having to work more.

I and several colleagues facing similar issues have sought and received reasonable accommodations for anxiety and similar issues, but I've also had colleagues who I know have taken advantage of the system and basically prioritized their time over that of others. I have one colleague who was a close friend but whom I've soured on over the years because they have received accommodations for a minor mental health issue but would brag to me about how little work they did and now is actively shoveling work onto the plates of others, myself chief among them. When does a mental health issue end and general shittiness as a person begin?

quote:

I've always been averse to taking medications but after consultation in this very thread I went to my GP and was prescribed propranolol for my anxiety. It's been great for me so far. It doesn't eliminate my anxiety, but it prevents the spikes of adrenaline that would trigger a fight or flight response in stressful situations, which in turn has allowed me to get the endless ambient anxiety under control. Side effects have been non-existent as far as I'm aware, though I'm also not on a very high dose.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Miftan posted:

I don't know where you're at now, but I know several people who take meds for anxiety and they've all said it's been a life changer. Yes, there are side effects. They vary from person to person and you can stop if it doesn't feel worth it (though usually not cold turkey! Consult your doctor!), but for symptoms as severe as you're describing I would definitely look into it. Worst case, you write it off. Best case, you have some mild nausea after meals every now and then and stop having 3 day panic attacks.

He literally just said he was taking prescribed medication for anxiety. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Miftan posted:

Anxiety meds are definitely worth trying, but their efficacy wears off pretty quick for a lot of people. Most of the time, therapy is what really can bring lasting improvements. Anxiety meds are better at delivery results quickly, which can be very important, even if the long-term efficacy is mediocre.