Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

It ruled that I got both the happily ever after slide as well as the "she tried to overthrow you and was killed" slides in the same ending lol

The whole "multiple contradictory slides" thing is so weird

I got these but didn't consider them contradictory. My character was a dick to her and their philosophies were totally incompatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I stopped playing because my character didn't want to cause any further harm to the Koronus sector via their actions. Sounds like some people in this thread are loving their capitalist exploitation and concentration of wealth fantasy in a very libertarian, Elon Musk-ish way. Not me though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mhm

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

UP AND ADAM posted:

I stopped playing because my character didn't want to cause any further harm to the Koronus sector via their actions. Sounds like some people in this thread are loving their capitalist exploitation and concentration of wealth fantasy in a very libertarian, Elon Musk-ish way. Not me though.

mad?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all need to be able to tell when people are poo poo posting.

If you're on the fence about playing this game now versus playing it later and you don't have something you're more excited about to put off playing this game for I would say go for it.

If you do run into a glitch and you have any experience modding a Bethesda game or using console codes You should be able to figure out how to use toy box to fix whatever issue you're working on. The game is probably going to be in a better state in 4 months or 6 months or whenever but it's perfectly fine now.

If there are two games that you're excited to play and this is one of them I'd say hit up that other game and come back when you're done.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I need to install toy box to get an ideology past level 2. It's actually good that earth shattering conversation options with fanatics are gated so hard but there's a lot of cool conversation options that are way too hard to get.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

with iconoclast you have to be 100% iconoclast, build all the iconoclast projects and do everything in a particular order, like seeing chordia last in chapter 4. what I did was just reload and leave whenever I ran into a check I didn't have enough for yet because if you miss one it just snowballs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God it's annoying how massively swingy the combat is
You do fight after fight that's mega easy then you come across one that's mega hard

This stupid Defiler at the end of chapter 4 is loving impossible. It doesn't help that I have to use Ulfar who is absolute shite

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Zodium posted:

with iconoclast you have to be 100% iconoclast, build all the iconoclast projects and do everything in a particular order, like seeing chordia last in chapter 4. what I did was just reload and leave whenever I ran into a check I didn't have enough for yet because if you miss one it just snowballs.
I picked every iconoclast option available my first playthrough, and finished the game at tier 3 or 4. Also somehow missed out on recruiting the iconoclast-exclusive companion, despite redeeming them.

Taear posted:

This stupid Defiler at the end of chapter 4 is loving impossible.
Did you check its passive for the stage gimmick? Once you destroy the generators it should go down easy.

Gainsboro fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 9, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gainsboro posted:

Did you check its passive for the stage gimmick? Once you destroy the generators it should go down easy.

No, I just brute forced it until it died (twice)
it was loving poo poo and now everyone's really injured. I really wish I could turn injuries off altogether.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I brute forced too, and felt dumb after. The plasma reactors must die for their sins.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Taear posted:

No, I just brute forced it until it died (twice)
it was loving poo poo and now everyone's really injured. I really wish I could turn injuries off altogether.

I mean, the game positively throws Medkits at you to fix injuries with, and there's a level 2 project on Janus that gives you an infinite supply of Chirurgeon Medkits that fix traumas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Magni posted:

I mean, the game positively throws Medkits at you to fix injuries with, and there's a level 2 project on Janus that gives you an infinite supply of Chirurgeon Medkits that fix traumas.

I had no idea medikits could fix my injuries, it tells you that they can only be repaired on the voidship so that's what I thought.
I don't think I did that project

When I say injuries I mean the things that debuff you not just the little lightning strikes

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Traumas should prob be optional yeah

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

I had no idea medikits could fix my injuries, it tells you that they can only be repaired on the voidship so that's what I thought.
I don't think I did that project

When I say injuries I mean the things that debuff you not just the little lightning strikes

The first introduction you get to medkits covers healing injuries, but there's a special type--the Chirugeon's Medkit--that can fix traumas. They're rewards for a colony project, and they replenish.

Once I've unlocked them, I pretty much send every other medkit to cargo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Warmachine posted:

The first introduction you get to medkits covers healing injuries, but there's a special type--the Chirugeon's Medkit--that can fix traumas. They're rewards for a colony project, and they replenish.

Once I've unlocked them, I pretty much send every other medkit to cargo.

Yea when I say injuries I don't mean the lightning bolts, I mean the things that debuff you which I suppose are traumas.
Injuries I don't care about it's the traumas that suck

I didn't do that project although I know the one that you mean.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Some trauma examples - not quite understanding a door. Failing to comprehend a tree.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

Yea when I say injuries I don't mean the lightning bolts, I mean the things that debuff you which I suppose are traumas.
Injuries I don't care about it's the traumas that suck

I didn't do that project although I know the one that you mean.

Yeah, that project is one I always do. Know those steam vents on Kiava Gamma that'll fill you up with traumas if you run through at the wrong time? Just toss some Chirugeon kits at the problem.

I admittedly started metagaming my colony projects after I realized I could right click on the arrows to see what the rewards will be and what the rewards do. With the exception of the Chirugeon kit, I tend to prioritize character buffs. Normally items just aren't the most impactful things with a handful of notable exceptions.

Dandywalken posted:

Some trauma examples - not quite understanding a door. Failing to comprehend a tree.

I failed to solve the New York Times crossword puzzle and developed generalized anxiety disorder.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
"Replenishing" items from colony projects btw aren't really. What it actually means is you will just get another batch by opening the specific planets' colony management screen every couple warp jumps, regardless of how many you already have sitting in your inventory.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Every trap triggered outside of combat is instant trauma, if you aren't on your way out after clearing the map or have stacks of those Chirugeon medkits it's pretty much a quit+reload moment.

That medkit project being one of the "this locks out X" meaning you pick one or the other is really bad. Traumas are bad enough to soft lock the game especially in Act 3 where you can't return to the ship.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 9, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

God I seriously hate every single end of act fight in this. It feels like I have to put it on easy each time because it's at the end of a load of poo poo where I take a ton of traumas and there's a bucketload of enemies with loads of health
The lack of a proper story mode (as in you basically instawin the fight like in Wrath) sucks

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can turn them off in toybox iirc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zodium posted:

you can turn them off in toybox iirc

It shouldn't rely on toybox because I know that if I get that I'll just instakill every enemy and never do a fight again. That said I think I'm at that point now, I just want it to be over.

Like I've got it on storymode and I'm still getting my arse kicked in this fight. Just makes no sense to me, as far as I'm concerned if it's on that difficulty I should be immune to damage full stop (again, like in wrath)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

It shouldn't rely on toybox because I know that if I get that I'll just instakill every enemy and never do a fight again. That said I think I'm at that point now, I just want it to be over.

Like I've got it on storymode and I'm still getting my arse kicked in this fight. Just makes no sense to me, as far as I'm concerned if it's on that difficulty I should be immune to damage full stop (again, like in wrath)

not sure I understand the difference between these two forms of automatically winning every combat, but in any case I was talking about traumas and injuries. you just snuck your post in right before mine.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Taear posted:

I don't mean this to sound judgmental, but I think you might have bungled your character builds. At that point in my game on Normal everything was getting one-shot, including the Defiler which didn't survive a single heavy bolter burst. Even the extra revival healthbar didn't save it from immediate death. Do you have a Soldier/Arch-Militant on your team to replace Argenta?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gainsboro posted:

I don't mean this to sound judgmental, but I think you might have bungled your character builds. At that point in my game on Normal everything was getting one-shot, including the Defiler which didn't survive a single heavy bolter burst. Even the extra revival healthbar didn't save it from immediate death. Do you have a Soldier/Arch-Militant on your team to replace Argenta?

Argenta just isn't very strong for me. Her Heavy Bolter does like 6-8 per hit which will easily mow down a load of mooks but she's definitely not killing any bosses.
Yrilet is my main damage dealer. I don't go before all the enemies, but 90% of combats are an absolute cakewalk - it's just if stuff can go before Yrilet and kill her (like the chaos guy in that specific fight)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Enjoying the game but I’m torn between loving and hating that argenta demolishes every fight in one turn. Two officers and pistol melta/hand flamer plus precise bolter and boom there’s every fight over by the end of turn one. Maybe, sometimes in a major boss fight turn two. Minimus 5 maybe 7 turns per turn, hand flamer costs zero action points

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Starting in Act 3, on story-unfair if combat is lasting more then 2-3 rounds you're probably going to get killed or lost most of your party just from how the action economy works. Even the extremely hard fights on daring or above you can basically buy time sacrificing 1 party member per round while you buff your DPS sky high and then it starts 1-shotting everything.

The overall vibe is combat is balanced around assuming the player is running with an officer. Some of the initial speculation about this game was how they would make it work as the ttrpg rules are pretty much literal rocket tag where the only good defense is going first.

Taear posted:

Argenta just isn't very strong for me. Her Heavy Bolter does like 6-8 per hit which will easily mow down a load of mooks but she's definitely not killing any bosses.
Yrilet is my main damage dealer. I don't go before all the enemies, but 90% of combats are an absolute cakewalk - it's just if stuff can go before Yrilet and kill her (like the chaos guy in that specific fight)

You're missing a ton out of Argenta's build, not sure if you aren't stacking versatility correctly or missing certain talents but she should be doing at least 25 dmg per bullet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

You're missing a ton out of Argenta's build, not sure if you aren't stacking versatility correctly or missing certain talents but she should be doing at least 25 dmg per bullet.

Probably both, my eyes just glaze over with most of the passives
I have all the ones that increase the damage by rate of fire and stuff but that's it. That said I'm like level 40 I feel like there's not a lot more to even take

It doesn't help that she's still using the only Heavy Bolter I've ever found which isn't exactly great

pentyne posted:

The overall vibe is combat is balanced around assuming the player is running with an officer. Some of the initial speculation about this game was how they would make it work as the ttrpg rules are pretty much literal rocket tag where the only good defense is going first.

And I guess that technically I'm not, since I have Cassia but really haven't developed her officer powers
Again they're just confusing to me, I can never really parse easily if it's good

I mean she can still give Yrilet a 2 action turn that lets her kill something, which is nice

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 9, 2024

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The only officer power Cassia needs is Bring It Down, the correct build with her is basically taking pure navigator talents/powers.

For her second archetype, giving her Grand Strategist so she always goes first feels like the best option to me but I'm not as confident that this is the "best" build.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I used the bog standard Heavy Bolter for Argenta until almost the end of the game and she was doing 50+ damage a shot (so ~400 in a burst) once she was up and running. Definitely a build issue.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pakled posted:

The only officer power Cassia needs is Bring It Down, the correct build with her is basically taking pure navigator talents/powers.

For her second archetype, giving her Grand Strategist so she always goes first feels like the best option to me but I'm not as confident that this is the "best" build.

grand strategist is great. I made pasqal a grand strategist too so cassia could focus on navigator talents and pasqal could do combat area bonuses, and both go before others. then argenta blaps everyone.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
At the end of act three. I liked it, good change of pace. Really showed how broken Cass is since I didn’t use her for a bit. The first fight I used her I didn’t get out of her pre fight turn before everyone was dead. The rest of the string of fights were pretty trivial, even though I threw away my MC in two of those fights and lost Argenta in another.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

I used the bog standard Heavy Bolter for Argenta until almost the end of the game and she was doing 50+ damage a shot (so ~400 in a burst) once she was up and running. Definitely a build issue.

Once you get the upgraded heavy bolter you can have her doing up to ~400 per *hit*, the character is bananas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

Yea I have absolutely no idea how at all.
And I hate grand strategist because trying to use those floorplan things is really tedious tbh. I do love that she goes first though, I didn't actually realise it was because of the class.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

Probably both, my eyes just glaze over with most of the passives
I have all the ones that increase the damage by rate of fire and stuff but that's it. That said I'm like level 40 I feel like there's not a lot more to even take

It doesn't help that she's still using the only Heavy Bolter I've ever found which isn't exactly great

And I guess that technically I'm not, since I have Cassia but really haven't developed her officer powers
Again they're just confusing to me, I can never really parse easily if it's good

I mean she can still give Yrilet a 2 action turn that lets her kill something, which is nice

To get the results you're getting, you've either done something other than Arch Militant with Argenta, OR you're just blindly hitting Burst for every attack and aren't actually building any stacks of Versatility. The idea is you alternate between different attacks until you have at least 4 and preferably 9-12 stacks of Versatility (9 if you have Wild Fire + Flash Fire, 12 if you only have Wild Fire). The idea is that you want to have Wild Fire costing 0AP, and you want to have Steady Superiority providing a free attack every turn, while by having at least 4 stacks of Versatility you're effectively adding BS Bonus to each bullet's damage.

Taear posted:

And I hate grand strategist because trying to use those floorplan things is really tedious tbh. I do love that she goes first though, I didn't actually realise it was because of the class.

Given that you sound burned out and frustrated, my :10bux: is on you're blind clicking Burst Fire without realizing you need to spend your first few turns alternating attacks to build Versatility.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Warmachine posted:

To get the results you're getting, you've either done something other than Arch Militant with Argenta, OR you're just blindly hitting Burst for every attack and aren't actually building any stacks of Versatility. The idea is you alternate between different attacks until you have at least 4 and preferably 9-12 stacks of Versatility (9 if you have Wild Fire + Flash Fire, 12 if you only have Wild Fire). The idea is that you want to have Wild Fire costing 0AP, and you want to have Steady Superiority providing a free attack every turn, while by having at least 4 stacks of Versatility you're effectively adding BS Bonus to each bullet's damage.

Given that you sound burned out and frustrated, my :10bux: is on you're blind clicking Burst Fire without realizing you need to spend your first few turns alternating attacks to build Versatility.

Yep I am just doing burst fire and nothing else. She is an arch militant.
I don't know how to build it, never read the description

Normally in games I just pick loads of passive bonuses but this game really encourages you to do a bunch of busywork every turn and I fuckin' hate doing that. It would be fine but the game has just so so so many combats, every act end area is like 15 long combats where I just sorta want to get it done now

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 9, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Taear posted:

They're basically persistent aoe buffs with the frontline also a enemy debuff. Frontline is probably the only one you'd keep moving to support any melee or to increase enemy damage taken.

A proper Grand Strategist taking the GS talents can get some crazy bonuses, but Cassia is just dropping those minor buffs in between unleashing devastating warp abilities.

Taear posted:

Normally in games I just pick loads of passive bonuses but this game really encourages you to do a bunch of busywork every turn and I fuckin' hate doing that. It would be fine but the game has just so so so many combats, every act end area is like 15 long combats where I just sorta want to get it done now

If you're playing this game and ignoring abilities its a testament to the combat system being well designed enough you can make it to act 4. These are not games where you can just auto attack every turn and expect to win combat.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 9, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

Just try alternating attacks. Hit them with a burst, then swap to a flamer and hit a bunch of dudes with an AOE fire cone, then go back to the burst. Do that a few times and you'll see the damage increase.

Taear posted:

Normally in games I just pick loads of passive bonuses but this game really encourages you to do a bunch of busywork every turn and I fuckin' hate doing that

This I can't help you with. This is fundamentally a game where the gameplay is what abilities you use, when you use them, and what order you use them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

If you're playing this game and ignoring abilities its a testament to the combat system being well designed enough you can make it to act 4. These are not games where you can just auto attack every turn and expect to win combat.

No i'm not, that's why Yrilet is probably my strongest - because I can drop 3 debuffs in a row and then hit for a million after it.
Pathfinder I felt like I didn't have to do this EVERY TURN. Like prebuffing was annoying but I think I prefer that to what they've done here

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 9, 2024