Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Obama is telling his daughter as directly as he can that she needs to, uh, start bombing some pipelines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

FistEnergy posted:

Summer 2024 is going to crackping a lot of blissfully ignorant people imo

:ohdear:

it’s not that bad yet

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

'Working really hard' to take 3.5C -> 3.0C involves compromising after 5 years of negotiation to 3.4C, sucking up fat pay checks while giving contracts to make it happen to the folks that caused the problem, getting nothing done because the companies pocketed the money instead of doing what they promised, get speaking fees and executive positions at said companies as kickbacks, realize we are at 3.8C and browbeat the ungrateful public about how they should be thankful it isnt 4.5C.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*looking out over the ruins of the world at 4.5C*

"That was me, people. Say thank you."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

all the monster corporations had to do was earn slightly less money
that's all that was being asked of them and they couldn't even do that for the sake of not murdering all life on the planet

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

lol, lmao

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

earn slightly less money
hm, not sure what you typed here but it made me go cross-eyed and hear a shrill whine in my head and my nose is bleeding and I’m so angry I poo poo my pants for some reason

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

*sees line going up, does not look at text of graph* Working hard, thank you!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Obama is telling his daughter as directly as he can that she needs to, uh, start bombing some pipelines

Work really hard on the verbiage she'll use in the occasional meetings with Obama Foundation managers to tell them to profit maximize harder so the fund's capital can grow by 6% annually which means the climate wins, because that's what the fund is for, it says so on the web page

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the commercial about hospitals and plastic/oil/gas is right of course

however i've never seen anyone argue that all plastic, everywhere, should be eliminated. only that we should stop using plastic in situations where other materials are sufficient, and evaluate whether use cases where plastic is required are really necessary.

and that means we stop using plastic for 90% of it's uses today

of course that's not something the commercial acknowledges

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

back page of today’s FT

qr goes to https://www.bain.com/about/further/

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Sustainable...profits :evilbuddy:

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Unless posted:

back page of today’s FT

qr goes to https://www.bain.com/about/further/

when they start talking about our need to “transform food systems” you know it’s over

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pink Mist posted:

when they start talking about our need to “transform food systems” you know it’s over

we need to transform our food systems, which is why we invented this system that will transform you into food

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Please watch the documentary "Soylent Green"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pink Mist posted:

we won't be eating bugs. you, on the other hand. . .

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVczvB4FQk&t=10s

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Honestly I was thinking more like we stop feeding people since starvation is endemic

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Microplastics posted:

And anyway my economic activity happens indoors so that means the sea isn't allowed to get in

Economist Nordhaus and the tide.

Don't :actually: me.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
say_ the_line.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/01/09/satellite-images-show-rate-east-coast-sinking/72152778007/
https://academic.oup.com/pnasnexus/article/3/1/pgad426/7504900?login=false
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/01/240102151937.htm

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rauros posted:

great comeuppance for this scam product and certainly this extends to all plastic bottle drinks.
aluminum cans are also all plastic-lined :eng101:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rectal Death Alert posted:

It's funny there were years of smug posts on these forums about how RCP 8.5 was impossible

RCP 8.5 is impossible and remains so, just like you cant swallow a handle of vodka in a single gulp.

you can of course, chug a handle of vodka to nearly as bad results, but RCP 8.5 only covers the single gulp scenario. :smug:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
brain and company has it thought through it'll be fine

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
Another day, another record

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1744741472099090780?t=ntWyARfrmruLW91IU78MqQ&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zodium posted:

wish you hadn't reminded me thug lessons exists

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

premium consumer remains strong though

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/09/greenland-startup-shipping-glacier-ice-cocktail-bars-uae-arctic-ice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
getting insanely triggered by plots of standard deviation

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

the second derivative is negative so crisis averted

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

eh thwaits is where the real flavors are

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Love to see new manmade horrors daily

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

C'MON

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Xaris posted:

getting insanely triggered by plots of standard deviation

and the surprise it's not magically better the following day. large bodies of water, notorious for quickly changing temperature.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I'm defense of this: it's heating up incredibly fast for how much energy it takes to do this

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe it’s just the surface of the water and whatever is under that layer is colder.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Communist Cop posted:

Love to see new manmade horrors daily

tbqh im kind of exhausted from all these manmade horrors beyond comprehension cant we at least come up with some comprehensible horrors

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

quote:

“Helping Greenland in its green transition is actually what I believe I was brought into this world to do,” Rasmussen said.

[guy who wants to help Greenland in its green transition] i got a great idea: let's ship glacier ice to the UAE

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

quiggy posted:

[guy who wants to help Greenland in its green transition] i got a great idea: let's ship glacier ice to the UAE

hey, it's going to melt anyway

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
just tow the glacier there

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

[The company] has now committed to becoming fully carbon-neutral, and once the supply chain has been established and Arctic Ice’s carbon footprint calculated, all excess emissions will be calculated and compensated for, either through carbon capture and storage, or through emerging technologies that suck CO2 out of the air.

:blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Stereotype posted:

maybe it’s just the surface of the water and whatever is under that layer is colder.

oh, I like this thought. I'm going to believe it, it makes me happier