Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

trevorreznik posted:

Yep. Parents didn't let me have/couldn't afford consoles, but I was able to install emulators on the 486 and pentium I had. I remember playing FF6 not understanding the keys to open the menu outside of combat, so I could only heal in combat and every fight was a frantic start of trying to heal up from the prior battle. Lived in the country so no neighbors with consoles, so college dorms were my first real experience with nes, Genesis and Dreamcast all at once. In high school I did play some multiplayer N64 but that was a lot different.

Got my first console at 19 or 20, a used PS2 same time mgs2 came out. The switch my kid got for Christmas last year from inlaws is the first Nintendo I've ever owned

Yeah I softlocked myself early on in the world of ruin of FF6 due to poor save-state placement and having never used the "real" saves. Similarly Psycho Mantis in MGS1 told me "your mind is completely empty" or something like that since I didn't use memory card saves. Also I didn't understand what the title of Link to the Past was so I just told people "I'm playing Zelda 3" and got a confused reaction. Yeah my first console was also a used PS2 at age 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I absolutely had an SNES growing up but I emulated games I couldn't afford or couldn't find at Mr. Movies.

I remember playing FFIV after getting my wisdom teeth and accidentally disabling one of the layers. I couldn't figure out what the hell happened.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I absolutely had an SNES growing up but I emulated games I couldn't afford or couldn't find at Mr. Movies.

I remember playing FFIV after getting my wisdom teeth and accidentally disabling one of the layers. I couldn't figure out what the hell happened.

you lost your wisdom is what happened

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn’t emulate that much until I homebrewed my Wii since my sister hogged the PC and always managed to install some malware that ate my saves

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Emulators could not handle transparency well in those days, so for something like the mist cave you had to disable a layer to see what you were doing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I played FF5 on an early version of ZSNES and had to mess with the layers in the underwater sections of the Ship Graveyard to see where I was going. :corsair:

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I played FF5 on an early version of ZSNES and had to mess with the layers in the underwater sections of the Ship Graveyard to see where I was going. :corsair:

This is me.

I remember the ROM wasn't quite 100% translated either. Specifically one of Cid's first lines didn't have any translation, and it was immediately followed by all of the characters laughing, and I was like "?????"

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Ravus Ursus posted:

I never understood this so it's great to meet people who've done it. Why?

It seems so odd to me that you'd play an RPG an run from, arguably, the actual game part of it? Maybe it's got to do with your experience before you first engaged with an RPG?

I did this with a much rented copy of FF4 my first time through it, started running from the bullshit zombie fights in the waterfall cave, then the bullshit zombie fights on Mt Ordeals, then eventually every fight. Wound up softlocking at the 4 fiends rematch because I was far too weak to grind in the Giant of Babel and also couldn't leave.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So much time was spent disabling layers in ZSNES. There one that comes to mind immediately is Chrono Trigger. The fog in ruined future time was a nightmare to deal with on early 2000 ZSNES.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

To this day I still think most of the original 151 Pokemon cries are wrong when I hear them because I first played Blue on a hosed up emulator with bad sound.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

So much time was spent disabling layers in ZSNES. There one that comes to mind immediately is Chrono Trigger. The fog in ruined future time was a nightmare to deal with on early 2000 ZSNES.

the sound in those areas (any area with wind howling as the bgm) was hosed on my emulator too so it was just weird cacophony of wailing like a faulty police siren lol

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Chrono Trigger had a part where you had to hold L+R+A to solve a puzzle. It gave me fits in the early 2000s or whatever because many keyboards back then could only register 2 keys at a time, ignoring the third. You had to remap the same key to L+R or whatever to enter the password.

Count me in the crew who went NES -> PS1 and had my only experience with SNES (and much later, N64) on an emulator. Chrono, FF4-6, Clock Tower, Lufia 2, Mario World... figuring out how to watch RAM values to get infinite health in some platformer. I have nostalgia for that old ZSNES GUI the same way people have it for the SNES console itself. I also remember really wanting a GBA when it came out and there was an emulator with the japanese launch games very early, I remember playing Castlevania before US launch on my PC at like 4 FPS. Zophar's Domain was the oasis

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My most distinct memory of ZSNES is playing Harvest Moon on it - for some reason, I will always remember the 'snow' in the menu overlay atop that game specifically, that purple background, the chunky font. Man. Takes me back.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Emulators could not handle transparency well in those days, so for something like the mist cave you had to disable a layer to see what you were doing.

Once I figured out what layers did and how to turn them on or off I kinda liked it.

Especially in the sylph cave and cave to the land of summons. There were a ton of secret passages in there!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I had NES/SNES/PSX/PS2 as a kid (although the PS2 was after I'd graduated high school and was the first console I bought with my own money) and my two younger brothers, who usually shared a console between them, got Genesis/N64/GameCube.

I started dabbling in emulators in the very late 90s or early aughts, when we had PCs capable of running them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Silver Falcon posted:

As to why I would do it in the first place? SMRPG was my first RPG ever in my life. I didn't know what an RPG was when I played it. I certainly didn't know what the actual game part of it was or was supposed to be! I was more interested in exploring and seeing the story. The battles annoyed me!

Okay, but what about the boss battles and their music?

Which is now back in my head, where it rightfully belongs.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oooo there's a new shiren the wanderer next month

New new or some kind of delayed port?

I only played the current one a little bit (haven't adjusted to the Shiren franchise), but I do often like roguelikes.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hammer Bro. posted:

New new or some kind of delayed port?

I only played the current one a little bit (haven't adjusted to the Shiren franchise), but I do often like roguelikes.

New new. First one in 14 years or something too, 5 was originally on the DS.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Electromax posted:

Chrono Trigger had a part where you had to hold L+R+A to solve a puzzle. It gave me fits in the early 2000s or whatever because many keyboards back then could only register 2 keys at a time, ignoring the third. You had to remap the same key to L+R or whatever to enter the password.
you spell out LARA one letter at a time, same as the XABY puzzle

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Ok a lot of these make sense. I had the opposite experience where my first games were side scrolling best em ups and rpgs. Which meant that the first time in played a 3d action game, one of the n64 zelda's, I was stumped on getting into the castle.

The concept of walking off the path and going around the guard never occured to me, so when my cousin walked onto the green field and around the guards my tiny brain was blown away.

Imstill don't care for any non 2D Zelda's, the Oracle GB games were more my jam.

I'll do you own better. My dad made me pack up the NES, SNES, and Genesis, all the games and such we (3 kids) had slowly accumulated over the years and trade them into EB games. At this point I think the ps2 was either out or a known quantity so there wasn't much value. Even better, at the time they wouldn't trade consoles out for cash, only store credit. So when it was done I had 56.15 on a gift card.

He was furious and stormed out of the mall. I was 12-13 and am absolute wreck over it. I consider it they day my innocence died.

Has anyone kicked your dad in the dick for this yet?
I have some vacation time saved up.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

otter posted:

Has anyone kicked your dad in the dick for this yet?
I have some vacation time saved up.

Nah. This was the better part of 3 decades ago and he's not the same person now. I'm not saying I forgive him, but I understand him better.

It is what it is. Besides, the games from then that I cared about have seen been rereleased or are super easy to emulate. I don't even own a TV I could hook any of those things up to anyway. It was less the stuff and more the expression of authority over my autonomy and independence.

We did end up getting into a fight like 10 years later that, I think, knocked some sense into him. That was when he started making efforts to be better and he's a really good dude now.

I don't like who I was when I was 20 and would rather people not treat who I am now based on who I was, I should extend that same desire to others.

How bout them Vidya game tho?

FF2PR has been living in my head since I finished it a week ago. A lot of people poo poo on that game but it doesn't deserve half of what it gets. That game is really good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've never sold a video game but i did give soul silver away to a friend and i wish i hadn't

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i traded in MGS4 to get FFXIII which was a total pile of poo poo lol. never again!!!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

butt dickus posted:

you spell out LARA one letter at a time, same as the XABY puzzle
No, he's talking about getting to the information center in the dome in 2300 AD, where you have to catch the rat and then activate the terminal with L+R+A at the same time. LARA and XABY are different puzzles, the former being saving Lucca's mom in the past and the latter being the way to get to the core of the factory and shut down the lock preventing you from accessing the second Time Gate in 2300 AD.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I had to pawn most of my Switch game cards a while ago for rent money. Still pretty upset about it when I see the game entries in my Switch menu.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i traded in MGS4 to get FFXIII which was a total pile of poo poo lol. never again!!!

Better cutscene to gameplay ratio than MGS4

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Okay, but what about the boss battles and their music?

Which is now back in my head, where it rightfully belongs.

Nah, I had no problem with boss battles. Boss battles were fun! It was the random encounters I didn't like.

Still don't, really! I appreciate modern RPGs for either cutting back on that poo poo or not making them random i.e. SMRPG or Dragon Quest 11 where the enemies are visible on the map and you can choose to pick a fight or not.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I think I'm the only person in existence who likes random encounters.

I like being able to mindlessly run back and forth in a line when grinding or whatever.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

I think I'm the only person in existence who likes random encounters.

I like being able to mindlessly run back and forth in a line when grinding or whatever.

You're not

I love them in the right game

Bravely Default perfected them imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're fine if I can turn them off when I'm fed up of them

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I like random encounters. I feel like most games that do the "You can see encounters on the map" thing do it in way where it's more annoying than just having real random encounters would be.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Random encounters are cool if you can't just mash attack through them but they become tiring if you have to play tactically through all of them. Finding a good balance is hard but I think SMT and Etrian Odyssey do it well

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
They're fine if they're not too frequent (Mother) or too meta-gamey (FF2, FF8).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random encounters I generally prefer over on the screen ones.

1) If I see an enemy on the screen, I feel compelled to go fight it. I actually end up in more encounters.

2) For some reason even given what I said in #1 I have no compunction about running from random encounters.

Ideally it is a game where you can set random encounters on or off at will. This was a fantastic feature in the FF pixel remasters

Adventure games like The Witcher 3 have too many random encounters, I'd prefer them be in just specific areas and bosses.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Random encounters are cool if you can't just mash attack through them but they become tiring if you have to play tactically through all of them. Finding a good balance is hard but I think SMT and Etrian Odyssey do it well

Same but completely opposite

I don't want any meaningless battles. If I'm having the fight I want to DO something. Again, Bravely Default solved this with programmable default fight commands you could engage or not on a case by case basis

Heck, Dragon Warrior on the dang NES like 30 years ago partially solved this with instant wins against weak enough foes

(Of course it also frequently made you watch a lengthy battle intro just for the monster to immediately flee, which did suck)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the sound in those areas (any area with wind howling as the bgm) was hosed on my emulator too so it was just weird cacophony of wailing like a faulty police siren lol

There was an early version of one of the big emulators (ZSNES 0.15) which had a straight-up incorrect sound engine that did stuff like not properly clipping the start/end of samples or handling any type of modulation. Some emu dev (ReverendGumby) recently decided to go copy that distorted audio engine and 'port' it into the most recent version of ZSnes9x, so there's a version of that floating around somewhere which is a treat to watch/hear. I've seen it used on Yoshi's Island and FF6, the opera scene was amazing.

Fake Edit: https://twitch.tv/videos/2009369088 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vnj-tJbVO0 Not sure which of this is the one I saw, might have been both
Actual Edit: Oh god lol I forgot how many times the wind siren wail comes up

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 9, 2024

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jackhunter64 posted:

To this day I still think most of the original 151 Pokemon cries are wrong when I hear them because I first played Blue on a hosed up emulator with bad sound.

There are so many SNES and GBA games where this is very likely the case for me but I'll never know :smith:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why do people gotta talk I just wanna see and hear the game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I also don't really like enemies-on-the-map encounters - I never know if I should be hunting them down, if I'm doing it enough, etc, especially when they randomly appear rather than being in pre-set locations. If they randomly appear and I should be fighting them, might as well just make them random encounters.

Unless you can chain them together a la The World Ends With You or Star Ocean 2. Grabbing ever enemy on a screen in TWEWY and just fighting them in a huge chain of XP and bonus loot was so loving good.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

earthbound did it great. rewarding me for being strong and hitting enemies from behind by instantly winning the battle ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah I softlocked myself early on in the world of ruin of FF6 due to poor save-state placement and having never used the "real" saves.

How do you softlock yourself in FF6 in the WoR? I can't think of any place where this would be possible.