Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Giant Ethicist posted:

Flash Gordon is so drat good.

We Are Reproducing

Once again, a reminder that flip-up sunglasses were very briefly kind of cool roundabout 1990.

I had a pair of regular glasses that you could attach a pair of sunglasses by the magnets each had. It was very cool. I was cool.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

"You look like a dirty melon"

:lol::lol::lol:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 9, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 05, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

I actually think she means it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I really don't see what the plan is here. Get Cooper so riled up that he goes to Marla with his grievances - at which point she's going to say "You're absolutely right, Stuart hosed you over, I fixed it as soon as I found out I could."? Ignoring that there's no sensible reason to be sabotaging Cooper like this when you don't want the stockroom manager job yourself, all you're going to do is have two managers pissed off at you personally.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ha ha Planck won!

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

:psyduck:

Lame, using boss characters

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

So Plank's in the hospital, Maggie and probably Copper are having breakdowns, and the Director's dead? We just need a payoff for May and Lefty now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 26, 1961)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Gnoman posted:

I really don't see what the plan is here. Get Cooper so riled up that he goes to Marla with his grievances - at which point she's going to say "You're absolutely right, Stuart hosed you over, I fixed it as soon as I found out I could."? Ignoring that there's no sensible reason to be sabotaging Cooper like this when you don't want the stockroom manager job yourself, all you're going to do is have two managers pissed off at you personally.

I think the plan is to anger Cooper to the point where he ragequits or commits a fireable offense because what Stuart and Josh really want is Cooper gone and replaced with a drone.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I don't claim to know a lot about the UN, but I would assume one would not need to have bodyguards inside it?!

Also wearing the crown is tacky. :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also the UN is a bad place for delivering your unworkshopped tight 5.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/8/04

Brenda Starr 5/26-28/52

Smokey Stover 2/8/59

Spoilered for stereotypical depictions.

Everyday Movies 2/16/37

"I love this weather even if I have a cold, because both my bosses are home with the flu."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/23-25/42

Closer Than We Think! 2/8/59

This one reminds me of this Kelly Klassic:

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 9, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classic

Rose is Rose

Great character design.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Untranslatable Fingerpori

In Finnish the same word "elokuvissa" -- the plural inessive form of "elokuva", movie -- can either mean "in movies", or "at the movies", ie. "at the cinema".

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (April 24-26, 1922)

IN THE VACANT LOT BASE BALL LEAGUE: The game between the "Little-Potatoes-Hard-to-Peel" ball team and the Junior Giants was enlivened by a scrap between two spectators just like a regular big league game.

I would die for team "Little-Potatoes-Hard-To-Peel".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Piglet is the greatest straight man in the comics, I hope he lives to a ripe old age

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
you know, of all the old jobs we see in the old strips, elevator operator is the one that makes me wonder the most. was there something super difficult with the button system? was it on a pulley system back then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, February 4-9, 1983

There's no mention of why the February 4 strip wasn't published, but it may be related to the February 2 controversy. Alternatively, it's because Fone Bone is Not Mad didn't want Jeff to put it in the papers that he's mad.

Cowslips Warren posted:

you know, of all the old jobs we see in the old strips, elevator operator is the one that makes me wonder the most. was there something super difficult with the button system? was it on a pulley system back then?

It may not have been *difficult* but it still required training and experience to do it well. They're operated by a lever that regulates speed and it takes some amount of experience to know how to control it so you hit the floors correctly without over/undershooting or jolting the riders.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 9, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
In the end Copper Ma owns himself. This will eat at his soul for the rest of his life. A perfect finale.

On the edge of my seat here that Arn and Valiant can do something in time. :ohdear:

Jucika "490 - Jucika & The Stuck-Up Colleague"

"főnök = boss"

"491 - Jucika As An Autograph Hunter"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 2/8/59

I'm giving this one a 95% accuracy score. Ceiling screens aren't the norm but you could arrange a projector like that, and even screencast ebooks to it if you want. The biggest ding to accuracy is from the text being shown, which says that anyone who wants to will be able to go to college with minimal financial hardship. :(

That's not how the Vulcan salute goes!

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Untranslatable Fingerpori

In Finnish the same word "elokuvissa" -- the plural inessive form of "elokuva", movie -- can either mean "in movies", or "at the movies", ie. "at the cinema".

maybe like "nudity in cinema"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is the joke

e: the mouse hole is the joke

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/22/1993)

(9/23/1993)

Ziggy

(7/2/1971)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well, you're getting close. There were no floor buttons in the 20s and 30s. Automated push-button elevators weren't introduced until the 1960s, so this was the control panel.

(top to bottom: best case scenario; everyone else)

It was left to an operator regulating the speed with a lever...and, if you were in a department store, announcing the floors and departments as you go.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
also the doors were manually operated and, according to my grandpa, loving merciless to things in the path of them closing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

(9/22/1993)

The drawing of that particular pose hasn't changed in the slightest in 30 years. I guess there's one new bend on the back of the hat brim; that's it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This is why I don't get on Zits case too much, there's just as many jokes at the parents expense as there are at Jeremy
Even the one where he got on his mom's case about the text vs phone stuff read more as "parents just dont get it!!" and the end of the entire week of strips was presenting Jeremy like how the Mom is presented when Jeremy doesn't get it.

Sometimes the "teens, am i right?!" jokes that fall flat read like the author heard a thing or had a thing happen to him and went "oh that'd make a good strip". Like he had his kid tell him about text etiquette and didn't get it, but it's the thing the teens do; "out of touch parents, am i right?!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I love Dale's look here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

God-drat that art nouveau dress style combined with literal mirroring in both the panels and the strip. Delicious!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

This is why I don't get on Zits case too much, there's just as many jokes at the parents expense as there are at Jeremy
Even the one where he got on his mom's case about the text vs phone stuff read more as "parents just dont get it!!" and the end of the entire week of strips was presenting Jeremy like how the Mom is presented when Jeremy doesn't get it.

Sometimes the "teens, am i right?!" jokes that fall flat read like the author heard a thing or had a thing happen to him and went "oh that'd make a good strip". Like he had his kid tell him about text etiquette and didn't get it, but it's the thing the teens do; "out of touch parents, am i right?!"
I've been reading it since I was a teen myself(it's always been pretty good spirited and willing to make jokes both ways), and I mostly get the sense that it's a case of it being harder to write a strip about teens as you get further away from even being the parent of a teen, since there's nothing really keeping you in touch with what The Kids These Days are actually like. Even the more off-base modern strips feel more confused than mean spirited to me.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

It looks like BCN will go into reruns for the next two weeks:

... kind of in interesting that they picked these particular reruns...

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Honestly this is the best Curtis Kwanzaa we've had in a while. It was simple, fun, not overly preachy, and the story/moral made sense which is better than Billingsley's "Twilight Zone" attempts of the past few years.

And now back to Curtis sucking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vargo posted:

Honestly this is the best Curtis Kwanzaa we've had in a while. It was simple, fun, not overly preachy, and the story/moral made sense which is better than Billingsley's "Twilight Zone" attempts of the past few years.

agreed, last years was the worst lol

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Samovar posted:

God-drat that art nouveau dress style combined with literal mirroring in both the panels and the strip. Delicious!
She's so sinister and I'm so gay.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Wasn't expecting a Heart of the City X Powerup Gamer Comic crossover

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I want to see an IRL baby in a splendid church hat :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 27, 1935)

Peanuts (January 11, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 1-3, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 13, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (October 7-9, 1943)