Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Huh, well I wonder if my flight getting back to DC in a few weeks will still be on a Max or not. Here's to hoping I get to fly on the Dreamliner again.

EDIT: What a terrible snipe. Have an Olive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

Huh, well I wonder if my flight getting back to DC in a few weeks will still be on a Max or not. Here's to hoping I get to fly on the Dreamliner again.

If I'm FAA I'm grounding the fleet

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1744548214530084986?t=qLKewEZcwmYVKcSvJb6yKQ&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
We really got lucky with "just" the failure we got, christ. :stare: Imagine if one of those fuckers popped higher up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

We really got lucky with "just" the failure we got, christ. :stare: Imagine if one of those fuckers popped higher up.

And slapped the tail on its way out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

https://fxtwitter.com/i/status/1744465496919973929/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Also the people in that row missed their flight, so empty seats where there easily could have been a fatality/serious injury.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ah. the caro retirement plan

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

We just had a multiple-months long teacher strike, and people support the teachers because people understand that the teachers aren’t the problem, the problem is the provincial government treating them like poo poo.

Y’all got a cultural problem if people can’t understand that.

A well-advertised strike with clearly defined goals called after multiple rounds of negotiations and is a bit different than protesters suddenly shutting down an interstate highway.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 9, 2024

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
so you want to dictate how people are allowed to protest things?

only do it on these sidewalks citizen!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ded posted:

The conversation is about public perceptions of protests and their effect on public support for their cause, not what protesters should be allowed to do.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ded posted:

No, but it's good to have a healthy discussion about how effectively a means is advancing an end, particularly when it seems like some confuse the short-term effect of the means as itself the end.

In the specific prompting scenario, I'm ardently pro-Palestine and even anti-car, but I have strong doubts about the efficacy of the tactic selected for advancing the cause. Shutting down questions about efficacy with thought-terminating cliches like "it's a protest, it's supposed to make people angry" can only serve to the detriment of the cause by itself narrowing the range of protest activities toward those that unduly prioritize brashness over those which might, after some critical thinking and debate, be more effective, just less in everyone's face.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

pantslesswithwolves posted:

"The nerve- the absolute NERVE- of these protestors!" I wail, feeling a fragment of tooth lacerate my cheek as I grind my teeth in searing, white-hot anger. "My commute! My blissful, stress-free commute to my wonderful email job! Ruined by these assholes- these IDIOTS!- daring to raise awareness about dead Palestinians blown to pieces by blocking the FREEWAY! My tax dollars PAID for this freeway, and those bombs!"

I reach for my phone. I can barely work the touchscreen with my fingers, dripping with sweat tinged with the bitter yet intoxicating musk of high-octane rage.

"Hello, yes, Israeli Embassy?" I shriek, my voice a caricature of itself as my vengeance-crazed lizard brain takes over. "I'm calling to tell you that I've been stuck in traffic for the past 15 minutes because of PROTESTORS and I've made up my mind- BOMB GAZA HARDER! Leave nothing that casts a shadow standing in Gaza! Make their children orphans, then make their future children orphans! Salt the ground upon which they stand, then set it ablaze! Choke the Mediterranean with their dead! Then do it to Beirut, Damascus and Tehran!"

"That'll show them!" I scream into my air conditioning vent, smashing my phone's screen as I pound my fists into the steering wheel. "That'll show all of them!"
This was the reaction in the sixties. Is it a surprise that it hasn't changed?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Trump's attorneys are currently arguing in the DC circuit court that if a president ordered an assassination of a political rival that they should be immune from that after they leave office. :wtc:

Lawyer sounds like he forgot he had a book report due today and is stumbling through the presentation.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trump's attorneys are currently arguing in the DC circuit court that if a president ordered an assassination of a political rival that they should be immune from that after they leave office. :wtc:

Lawyer sounds like he forgot he had a book report due today and is stumbling through the presentation.

For all it's faults, the British empire never stooped to this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yup. So long as the senate does not remove them from office via impeachment for the act and it is official, no prosecution is allowed according to trump.

Note that Trump specifically argued in his second impeachment that he shouldn’t be impeached because he can be prosecuted when he’s out of office.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CBJSprague24 posted:

Seems like that’s a lol thing to try to pull off when you aren’t actively the president and your opposition is in power.

“So Biden has the ok to order your clients execution?”

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Seems to me it’s easier to argue that Trump is an imminent threat to the republic rather than continued support of Israel

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bottom line from the hearing today is that Donnie is basically hosed, they're just debating the method. Appeals court could outright terminate the appeal as improperly granted, rule on narrow grounds, rule on wide grounds, make new policy, etc etc.

Granted, Donnie's lawyers are going for maximum delay, but there's merit to giving appellate justices excuses to rule for you, but they didn't even bother.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is why I like the story that goes around every year or two about the Japanese bus drivers striking by still driving their routes, but refusing to accept payments.

Even if it's not true, it's a great concept because it highlights making the company/city the bad guy.

If the drivers just refuse to drive, people would just be all "well how TF am I supposed to get to work??!" and the drivers are the bad guys.

But this way, the company is the one getting hit and losing money every day. And if they lock out the drivers or whatever to stop it, then they're now the ones keeping people from getting to work. So either they lose money, or they directly piss off the average commuter, until the strike ends. That's the ideal IMO. Get that public anger directed where it belongs, instead of at you.

Had the exact same thing happen in Paris, Louvre employees were striking, so instead of charging admission, they just handed out fliers and let people through.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Crab Dad posted:

Seems like that’s a lol thing to try to pull off when you aren’t actively the president and your opposition is in power.

“So Biden has the ok to order your clients execution?”

Trump watched that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa is POTUS and Nelson reminds her she gets one free assassination per term and took it literally.

...which, ironically, is an episode that refers to cleaning up the messes of President Trump.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Bottom line from the hearing today is that Donnie is basically hosed, they're just debating the method. Appeals court could outright terminate the appeal as improperly granted, rule on narrow grounds, rule on wide grounds, make new policy, etc etc.

Granted, Donnie's lawyers are going for maximum delay, but there's merit to giving appellate justices excuses to rule for you, but they didn't even bother.

The only unequivocal and direct answer Trump's lawyer gave today was to a question of "should we remand for more factual determinations on whether the duties were ministerial or discretionary?" He emphatically said yes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What does that mean?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leave posted:

What does that mean?

Ministerial acts are things that someone is directed to by statute and doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Discretionary acts are ones taken under broad powers relating to judgement calls in the execution of an office.

Some of the caselaw says that immunity only should extent do ministerial acts as the person executing them has no choice in the matter. The trial court did not make a determination about this because she ruled he had no immunity in other ways. The appellate judges asked Trump's lawyer if they should kick it back down to the trial judge to make those findings of fact before they give their ultimate answer.

You could hear Lauro's perk up when asked that question. "Why yes we'd love for you to cause this to be delayed another month or two."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
SecDef's problems were just released: butt and pee stuff

https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1744802009729970275?t=SSi29fzEFw62RAQpaMyCRg&s=19

Prostate cancer detected and cut out, then a weird UTI that needed a nose tube to drain his stomach with some additional drains. Woof.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That sucks rear end for him but doesn't really explain the secrecy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

That sucks rear end for him but doesn't really explain the secrecy.

Supposedly, he's been a secretive dude all the way back in his military days. Barely talked to press, etc. We didn't even get basics when they outright said he had an elective surgery.

So it's all still highly suspicious, and pretty drat dumb, but supposedly how he's operated even as a general.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Are we going to talk about the secret Messianic Ultraorthodox Jewish Tunnels discovered under New York City? Because I swear I'm not making it up.

https://abc7ny.com/chabad-headquarters-arrests-secret-tunnel-brooklyn/14301084/

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 9, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fivemarks posted:

Are we going to talk about the secret Messianic Ultraorthodox Jewish Tunnels discovered under New York City? Because I swear I'm not making it up.

That's the most comprehensive link I've seen because it was usually just linked with the video of one of the hasidic Jews just popping up out of the drat sewer grate. One thing not in that link:

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1744723929145717055?t=2qX94si5IdOClm75vv1URg&s=19

It didn't penetrate my brain why those tunnels would be a big deal, until I thought "hmm gravity might override a hasidic belief that pillars and walls of a building are haram"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

This just boils down to "gently caress your lockdowns, my religion is more important so we're gonna dig tunnels", right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

This just boils down to "gently caress your lockdowns, my religion is more important so we're gonna dig tunnels", right?

I don’t know who came up with the “lockdowns” idea, but the tunnels are reportedly not nearly old enough for that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know who came up with the “lockdowns” idea, but the tunnels are reportedly not nearly old enough for that.

Oh okay, I got caught by fake news.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I did a little bit of digging and came up with a couple explanations, one of which was "these young men belong to a particular orthodoxy that requires strict gender segregation and the tunnels were dug under the women's section so they could see naked women," another was "one Hasidic sect wanted to control more space than another sect, hence the tunnels."

I can see either of these or both of them to be true simultaneously.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/new...eo-roundup.html

Is this kind of like the 18-mile wire they raise around Manhattan on Saturdays, thus making it a private place and allowing them to do all the stuff they otherwise wouldn't be allowed to because "gently caress sitting inside in NYC" or something?

E- oh, here we loving go again:
https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1744787172366987406?t=8_uQJRkhG7ev8yc_jlLvGA&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 9, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

McNally posted:

I did a little bit of digging

I appreciate this.

Also lmao one dude on twitter is living it up, he was posting poo poo like "I live on a ground floor apt and I keep hearing yiddish coming from the floor I am not crazy seriously wtf guys".

Pretty vindicated today for them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

McNally posted:

I did a little bit of digging

Oh god mcnallys been compromised

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McNally posted:

I did a little bit of digging and came up with a couple explanations, one of which was "these young men belong to a particular orthodoxy that requires strict gender segregation and the tunnels were dug under the women's section so they could see naked women," another was "one Hasidic sect wanted to control more space than another sect, hence the tunnels."

I can see either of these or both of them to be true simultaneously.

Someone else had a good one liner, "no telling how deep this rabbi hole goes".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

"no telling how deep this rabbi hole goes"

Thread title please!

But that general hasidic community was making a lot of noise with COVID restrictions and etc, because it's not just republicanism where dying is part of the religion:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/when-covid-19-rules-are-flouted-ultra-orthodox-jews-it-ncna1243590

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

SecDef's problems were just released: butt and pee stuff

https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1744802009729970275?t=SSi29fzEFw62RAQpaMyCRg&s=19

Prostate cancer detected and cut out, then a weird UTI that needed a nose tube to drain his stomach with some additional drains. Woof.

I've been through a hundred accountability drills and for this to happen with a commander, their superior, and their staff would be literally unthinkable, never mind the SecDef. Biden should accept his resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/new...eo-roundup.html

Uh...

The Yeshiva World posted:

NOTE FROM YWN: Around two hours later the NYPD entered the Bais Medrash and made a few arrests. The crowd of meshichist bochrim responded to the NYPD with violence befitting animals in Gaza (see videos below). It’s high time that the respectable greater Lubavitcher community rise up and seize control of this Makom Kadosh.

Cool cool