Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Hadlock posted:

:krakentoot:

post pictures

This please. I can’t see that you ever posted pics of the original problem either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

mr.belowaverage posted:

This please. I can’t see that you ever posted pics of the original problem either.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
It was quite windy and snowy here a few days ago, today I went up into the attic for something else and see snow on the blown in insulation. God damned old rear end tile roof. At least I found it before it melted. Had the pleasure of squeezing through a tiny triangular hole with my 6'4", 275 lbs body to pick up the worst of it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's the suggestion for the absolute cheapest, bottom tier thermal camera that's still good enough to look for cold spots on walls? I'm talking Wish.com level crap, quasi-disposable bullshit that I'm sure has to plug into a phone or something.

I know the recommended answer is just rent one from home depot or a library, but all of my big box stores near me don't lend them and the library doesn't have the whole tool rental thing going on that others seem to.

I found a few on Amazon but my wife's balking at paying ~$150 for what she assumes is a single use toy for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Buy a telescope and a thermal camera for that, then all you have to do is publish a few research papers to arxiv.org and that'll convince her that it's not single use. The perfect crime

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Buy one from Amazon and then return it, citing the return reason as "no longer needed"

Not a lie.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Buy one from Amazon and then return it, citing the return reason as "no longer needed"

Not a lie.

this is my tool rental service as well for stuff I’m only going to use once :D

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's the suggestion for the absolute cheapest, bottom tier thermal camera that's still good enough to look for cold spots on walls? I'm talking Wish.com level crap, quasi-disposable bullshit that I'm sure has to plug into a phone or something.

I know the recommended answer is just rent one from home depot or a library, but all of my big box stores near me don't lend them and the library doesn't have the whole tool rental thing going on that others seem to.

I found a few on Amazon but my wife's balking at paying ~$150 for what she assumes is a single use toy for me.

The FLIR phone mounted ones are good enough. I have one and I've used it a ton over the years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doesn’t Lowe’s rent this stuff too?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Doesn’t Lowe’s rent this stuff too?

Not mine :(

Both it and the local Home Depots have all
sorts of poo poo to rent but not these. My pet theory is that they likely walk off a lot and they’re both small and expensive compared to other tools, but that’s just wild conjecture out of frustration with not being able to borrow one.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Probably get broken too easily.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not mine :(

Both it and the local Home Depots have all
sorts of poo poo to rent but not these. My pet theory is that they likely walk off a lot and they’re both small and expensive compared to other tools, but that’s just wild conjecture out of frustration with not being able to borrow one.

I googled to see if I could rent one out of curiosity and somehow came across this scheme from a London power company:

quote:

FLIR Thermal Camera Scheme Terms & Conditions

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE USE OF THERMAL CAMERAS

General

These Terms and Conditions apply to the ‘FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera’ Scheme (the “Scheme”). By entering the Scheme, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions:

Details specific to the Scheme are displayed on our website; https://octopus.energy/blog/flir-thermal-cameras/
The Scheme will be run by Octopus Energy Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 09263424 and registered office 33 Holborn, London, EC1N 2HT (“Octopus Energy”)
These terms and conditions are the rules (“Rules”) that apply to this Scheme. By entering this Scheme, you are agreeing to be bound by these Rules and any other applicable instructions.
Octopus Energy reserves the right to cancel or amend the Scheme and/or the Rules without prior notice, but we will do our best to avoid doing so. Any changes will be posted on our website.
In the event of any dispute regarding any aspect of the Scheme, the decision of Octopus Energy shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
These Scheme terms and conditions are separate to the terms and conditions for the supply of gas and electricity that you will have with Octopus Energy and will not affect your rights and obligations under those terms.
Heh, "scheme". :ninja:

Anyway I've been going crazy in my new house trying to figure out why the sewer ejector pump is running every five minutes. I turned off the water main but it hasn't affected the timing so far. Currently considering that it might be the check valve is bad. Or groundwater is seeping in which would be really bad for flooding potential I think. There are so many goddamn pipes and tubes in and out of the basement.

Edit: Actually it does seem like it's taking over six minutes now after having the main off, so maybe it is a plumbing issue? Can't figure what it could be though.
Edit2: Okay I ran the taps dry and it's still going every six minutes so I'm back to suspecting the check valve.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 9, 2024

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My sump pump goes on about that often because we have a high water table here and water is constantly seeping into the sump pit, which my neighbors confirmed when I mentioned it to them a while back since they have the same thing going on. The flipper who had this house before me didn't put in a check valve so once I added that it reduced the amount of time between when the pump would kick on because half the water wasn't just dumping back into the sump pit out of the pipe after being pumped upwards when the pump would turn off.

It could very well just be normal for your area, see what your neighbors say about it. I know I need to get some kind of backup for the power down there in case I lose power because my basement will very likely flood if that pump goes out for any significant amount of time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sub-freezing cold front is slated to hit next week. I miss the days when that meant “oooh let’s make chili” and not “ah crap let’s prep for days without power and potential catastrophic water issues”

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My sump pump goes on about that often because we have a high water table here and water is constantly seeping into the sump pit, which my neighbors confirmed when I mentioned it to them a while back since they have the same thing going on. The flipper who had this house before me didn't put in a check valve so once I added that it reduced the amount of time between when the pump would kick on because half the water wasn't just dumping back into the sump pit out of the pipe after being pumped upwards when the pump would turn off.

It could very well just be normal for your area, see what your neighbors say about it. I know I need to get some kind of backup for the power down there in case I lose power because my basement will very likely flood if that pump goes out for any significant amount of time.

Yeah my sump seems to be doing that as well (it rained last night), but what I'm concerned about is the sewer ejector pump.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sub-freezing cold front is slated to hit next week. I miss the days when that meant “oooh let’s make chili” and not “ah crap let’s prep for days without power and potential catastrophic water issues”

Also I just realized that one of my outdoor spigots doesn't have any apparent shutoff, so I guess I need to get a faucet cover before it hits below degrees F this weekend.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 9, 2024

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anyway I've been going crazy in my new house trying to figure out why the sewer ejector pump is running every five minutes. I turned off the water main but it hasn't affected the timing so far. Currently considering that it might be the check valve is bad. Or groundwater is seeping in which would be really bad for flooding potential I think. There are so many goddamn pipes and tubes in and out of the basement.

Edit: Actually it does seem like it's taking over six minutes now after having the main off, so maybe it is a plumbing issue? Can't figure what it could be though.
Edit2: Okay I ran the taps dry and it's still going every six minutes so I'm back to suspecting the check valve.

I unplugged the ejector for an hour to see if it was just pumping the same water repeatedly through the faulty check valve, and it ran more than twice as long when I plugged it back in. So I'm not really sure what to think about that, I sorta figured it would just run for the normal 5 seconds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The flipper who had this house before me didn't put in a check valve

Now the real question is: Is this because they were too dumb, too lazy, or too cheap?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What are the realistic chances it's not a combination of all three?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

What are the realistic chances it's not a combination of all three?

:shrug:

I called a plumber for tomorrow so hopefully he can help me figure it out. If it's groundwater then I guess my basement is gonna flood twenty minutes after the power goes out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PerniciousKnid posted:

I unplugged the ejector for an hour to see if it was just pumping the same water repeatedly through the faulty check valve, and it ran more than twice as long when I plugged it back in. So I'm not really sure what to think about that, I sorta figured it would just run for the normal 5 seconds.

That indicates that it is at least mostly re-pumping the same water over and over. If it was actually collecting water that needed pumping you would expect it to run nearly 10x as long since it missed 10 cycles. The 2x extra pump time could be chalked up to more of the already pumped water draining back in.

A check valve would be a very good idea.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now the real question is: Is this because they were too dumb, too lazy, or too cheap?

Looking at some of the other things in this house, for instance the kitchen drawer that physically could not open because it hit the handle of another drawer around the bend in the counter, it was some combination of all three.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

That indicates that it is at least mostly re-pumping the same water over and over. If it was actually collecting water that needed pumping you would expect it to run nearly 10x as long since it missed 10 cycles. The 2x extra pump time could be chalked up to more of the already pumped water draining back in.

A check valve would be a very good idea.

It has a check valve but it might be stuck or something. I tried banging on it and insulting it but to no avail.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Looking at some of the other things in this house, for instance the kitchen drawer that physically could not open because it hit the handle of another drawer around the bend in the counter, it was some combination of all three.

I can't open the window shutter (or window) over the kitchen sink without removing the faucet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A check valve for a sump pump is what, $10-20?

It never ceases to amaze me when dumb poo poo like this is done over the smallest amounts of cash.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A part of me felt silly about the generator install.

Don't feel silly anymore!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Heck yeah.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PerniciousKnid posted:

It has a check valve but it might be stuck or something. I tried banging on it and insulting it but to no avail.
In the industry we call this percussive maintenance. Always a good first attempt.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perhaps you could do what this person in my city's Reddit did to fix their float switch issue:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

What kind of generator?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

So we had a bit of a storm last night and it peeled off some of the aluminum siding from our house.

Is this worth going through my insurance? It's covered but I have a $1000 deductible and I'm worried they'll do the bare minimum and hike my premium. Also factoring in is that we anticipate replacing the siding and windows at some point anyway.

Should I still file a claim and see what they say? Or just reach out to the GC I know and see if he can yabba dabba doo it back until we end up replacing the whole thing?

Apologies if this is stupid I'm a stupid first time home owner.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

yep lol power was only out for a couple hours yesterday but it was nice to feel like I timed buying something at the perfect moment lol

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

99pct of germs posted:

So we had a bit of a storm last night and it peeled off some of the aluminum siding from our house.

Is this worth going through my insurance? It's covered but I have a $1000 deductible and I'm worried they'll do the bare minimum and hike my premium. Also factoring in is that we anticipate replacing the siding and windows at some point anyway.

Should I still file a claim and see what they say? Or just reach out to the GC I know and see if he can yabba dabba doo it back until we end up replacing the whole thing?

Is that the only place the siding is damaged? That's probably an hour or less job to have somebody reattach it all, I would not file an insurance claim if that is the only place where it came off.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have a very small amount of seepage coming in from where my supply line for my well passes through the foundation. Is the right fix for this smearing the area with silicon caulk?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That will work for a short amount of time. What you probably want is hydraulic cement like UGL DryLok which is going to last for years/decades.

e: to be clear this needs to be sealed from the outside, which I presume is below grade. There are fancy new caulks for this that are a lot faster to apply but you're not building a housing development so I'd suggest going with the old school stuff that we all know works for decades.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 10, 2024

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sure is below grade, probably 4'. At lease there's no planting right above it to work around.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PerniciousKnid posted:

What kind of generator?

Kohler 20RCA, set up with a service entrance transfer switch and running on natural gas.

Well, that's gonna take a bit of time to fix

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Kohler 20RCA, set up with a service entrance transfer switch and running on natural gas.

Well, that's gonna take a bit of time to fix

Just ctrl-c that nice part and ctrl-v it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

99pct of germs posted:

Don't get your insurance involved on that. That isn't a hire a handy man for an hour job, that's a go outside and do it yourself in less time than it takes to post about it online job.

edit: I'm guessing those brown squares are foam backer/insulation?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 10, 2024

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Yeah I just did it myself, I slotted them back together and used fasteners to hold it in place. I thought it was more badly damaged then it appeared. And yes the MDF bits were the backer to the siding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an idea how long Copper L pipes last in a closed loop system?

Our boiler heating system is about 60 years old and while a visual inspection of the copper looks good, the Internet Wisdom suggests that these pipes only last 60 - 80 years before pinhole leaks develop. Now, this is for copper as general water pipes though, and I'm wondering if it makes an appreciable difference if the water inside the system rarely changes - My rationale here is that eventually all the reactants would decay out until you flush the system, so the copper should last a lot longer in such a system.

Does anyone know if this is generally the case, or if I should also be pricing out new copper in the house...?