Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think they mean the beta blockers which were explicitly rejected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I am not on meds. I have had improvements from self-treating with psychedelics which I've spoken about previously ITT. I'm no longer having 3-day panic attacks. I'm lucky also that I can afford talking therapy, which I am not currently using but am going to go back to soon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have been on SSRIs for nearly half my life now and it's been a boon.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I am not on meds. I have had improvements from self-treating with psychedelics which I've spoken about previously ITT. I'm no longer having 3-day panic attacks. I'm lucky also that I can afford talking therapy, which I am not currently using but am going to go back to soon.

Talking Therapy owns if they actually put you in the correct Step lol.

But yeah, I can highly recommend talking therapy if you're going to take medications for anxiety. Addressing the root cause of why you're anxious is important to tackling it completely. As someone who spent their entire late teens and adult life being bounced from one anti-anxiety and/or anti-depression medication to another; medication isn't a long term solution to the problem.

I've been clean from all medications for over a year now and I never once believed I could ever get to this state of content and bliss in my life. It's been surreal. I hadn't realised just how badly medication could cloud your mind at times.

(This isn't an anti-medication post. If meds work for you then keep at it. If you're apprehensive about medications then discuss it with your doctor to explore which one is best for you and have a clear plan for coming on and off medications) :3:

Solefald fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 9, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The only pharm meds that have ever worked for my anxiety are benzos, and I've only ever taken them if I was in danger of a complete MH collapse and only for a max of 3 days at a time before then taking a few days off. Other than :420:, nothing I've tried takes the edge off of my anxiety. Since having a weed prescription, I haven't felt a need to request any benzos from the GP though I've come close recently with the dead mum/oval office brother drama. :420:'s efficacy can be maintained without increasing the dosage if you constantly switch strains.

But medicines are only a softner, and the triggers of anxiety need to be addressed head-on, at least from my own experience

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

cat botherer posted:

Anxiety meds are definitely worth trying, but their efficacy wears off pretty quick for a lot of people. Most of the time, therapy is what really can bring lasting improvements. Anxiety meds are better at delivery results quickly, which can be very important, even if the long-term efficacy is mediocre.

Last time I recovered from my anxiety disorder long-term it was solely through therapy. Everyone's mileage might vary, but in my experience it's the only thing that can really produce lasting results with anxiety.

When my anxiety came back a few years ago, it took a while to get a handle on it but I got results from a combination of propranolol and therapy, and I'm (knock on wood) now in recovery. While the ambient anxiety was driven by the trauma of some major life events, I found that the acute spikes of anxiety produced by having to perform stressful tasks at my job prevented me from getting a handle on things. The propanolol has allowed me to get the latter under control, which has in turn made it possible for the therapy to more effectively treat the former.

Another technique that some might scoff at but which has been really effective for me is meditation. When I first started doing it it felt like it wasn't doing much, but over time with concerted practice I found it can really become a powerful tool for controlling ambient anxiety.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Talking therapy is great but also real expensive.

fuctifino posted:

The only pharm meds that have ever worked for my anxiety are benzos, and I've only ever taken them if I was in danger of a complete MH collapse and only for a max of 3 days at a time before then taking a few days off. Other than :420:, nothing I've tried takes the edge off of my anxiety. Since having a weed prescription, I haven't felt a need to request any benzos from the GP though I've come close recently with the dead mum/oval office brother drama. :420:'s efficacy can be maintained without increasing the dosage if you constantly switch strains

Ironically, the one person I know who tried weed for their anxiety has said it just makes it worse. Brains are weird.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Miftan posted:

Ironically, the one person I know who tried weed for their anxiety has said it just makes it worse. Brains are weird.

There are many different strains of cannabis, and they all have different medicinal and recreational nuances. If your friend tried a sativa dominant strain, then that could very easily amplify their anxiety. If your friend hasn't tried an indica dominant strain, it might be worth suggesting it. But yes, there are people who just aren't wired up to accept cannabinoids.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I just noticed your av has gone?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I sometimes smoke this heavily CBD-dominant cannabis, with almost no THC. It works pretty good, especially before bed. Any significant amount of THC spikes my anxiety in most contexts. Unfortunately, very CBD-dominant weed is hard to find in even places where weed is legal. I'm amazed that THC actually helps some people's anxiety. Goes to show how different people's brains can be.

fuctifino posted:

But medicines are only a softner, and the triggers of anxiety need to be addressed head-on, at least from my own experience
Yep.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, I just saw an ad reminding people to bring photo ID for the election on the 2nd May. Apparently no-one has told the electoral commission that they were planning to delay it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol, I just saw an ad reminding people to bring photo ID for the election on the 2nd May. Apparently no-one has told the electoral commission that they were planning to delay it.

Won't that be for local council elections in England?
Wales doesn't require Voter ID for those, but I think England does.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

[E/N]

On the subject of personal anxiety, my recent few weeks of dealing with the death of my mum, interacting with my brother and being locked out of the estate was pushing me into dangerous MH territories, so I decided to tackle it head-on and I wrote an email to the solicitors who are dealing with her estate.

It turns out that my nephew was not the executor after all, but the solicitors. I let them know a brief overview of the drama and the fact that my brother has probably taken two car-loads of items from the house after staying there during her dying period, and for a week over Xmas. My nephew also has a key and was officially visiting the property once a week to collect and forward mail to the solicitors.

The culmination of dealing with my anxiety head-on is that they were both sent letters yesterday ordering them to return every item taken from the house, pointing out that it would be classed as theft if items are taken without being accounted for. I've told the solicitors I want no contact with either of them, and all communication will have to go through the solicitors. I've also told the solicitors that it would be impossible to meet with my brother or his son in person, which means every item in the house will have to be inventoried and there will be a professional in charge of deciding how items should be divided. I also stated that I do not trust that my brother or his son have keys to the house, nor do I trust the nephew doing the weekly inspection. So the locks are going to be changed, and a professional hired to inspect the property each week.

This is going to cost the estate a hell of a lot of money, which kind of sucks for my brother and his son. The solicitor kept stressing how expensive this would be, but it won't for me, as I'm getting a set amount (£25k) plus 1/3rd the value of the contents, but they are going to see their share go down by a significant amount. The cost of managing the estate will be taken off of the remainder after I'm given my share.

So every email I send to the solicitor will cost my brother and his son money. Every reply from her back to me will also cost them. I have lots of questions as I've not dealt with a dead mum before

My brother has also just lost his free Devon AirBNB

My anxiety went from 97% to <5% today after receiving her latest letter :toot:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I just noticed your av has gone?

Yeah, I got a weird chain of probations, followed by that ban, and followed by yet more probations after posting the first Gaza carpet bombing video. I paid $10 to rereg, and some nameless admin gifted me back platinum (thank you whoever you are!), but I had a bit of a bad taste about paying another $10 for an avatar, and I had no idea if Koos and co wanted to continue to be cunts.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 9, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad to hear things worked out for you and lmao that the solicitors not only didn't try to gently caress you over but hosed over your brother instead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

fuctifino posted:

This is great news, I'm really happy it looks like this will be an easier experience than you'd expected.

Bad Mum Solidarity.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah sorry you're going through that fuct, but glad that you're getting somewhere with it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Thanks everyone. I think I've managed to nudge everything onto a comedy timeline, as I'm currently laughing at it all, and I never expected to be doing that

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Thanks everyone. I think I've managed to nudge everything onto a comedy timeline, as I'm currently laughing at it all, and I never expected to be doing that

That's really great news. I'm worried though, is your brother likely to kick off because of this? I hope you never have to see him again.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yes this is awesome news. It really sounded like it had been deliberately set up to spite you, so glad you’ve managed to flip it back onto them. I also hate my brother!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Your saga could merit its own thread; I know I'd read it :allears: that said, it might draw unwelcome attention (even though you have already, by your own admission, doxxed yourself to hell and back)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

[E/N]

On the subject of personal anxiety, my recent few weeks of dealing with the death of my mum, interacting with my brother and being locked out of the estate was pushing me into dangerous MH territories, so I decided to tackle it head-on and I wrote an email to the solicitors who are dealing with her estate.

It turns out that my nephew was not the executor after all, but the solicitors. I let them know a brief overview of the drama and the fact that my brother has probably taken two car-loads of items from the house after staying there during her dying period, and for a week over Xmas. My nephew also has a key and was officially visiting the property once a week to collect and forward mail to the solicitors.

The culmination of dealing with my anxiety head-on is that they were both sent letters yesterday ordering them to return every item taken from the house, pointing out that it would be classed as theft if items are taken without being accounted for. I've told the solicitors I want no contact with either of them, and all communication will have to go through the solicitors. I've also told the solicitors that it would be impossible to meet with my brother or his son in person, which means every item in the house will have to be inventoried and there will be a professional in charge of deciding how items should be divided. I also stated that I do not trust that my brother or his son have keys to the house, nor do I trust the nephew doing the weekly inspection. So the locks are going to be changed, and a professional hired to inspect the property each week.

This is going to cost the estate a hell of a lot of money, which kind of sucks for my brother and his son. The solicitor kept stressing how expensive this would be, but it won't for me, as I'm getting a set amount (£25k) plus 1/3rd the value of the contents, but they are going to see their share go down by a significant amount. The cost of managing the estate will be taken off of the remainder after I'm given my share.

So every email I send to the solicitor will cost my brother and his son money. Every reply from her back to me will also cost them. I have lots of questions as I've not dealt with a dead mum before

My brother has also just lost his free Devon AirBNB

Yeah, I got a weird chain of probations, followed by that ban, and followed by yet more probations after posting the first Gaza carpet bombing video. I paid $10 to rereg, and some nameless admin gifted me back platinum (thank you whoever you are!), but I had a bit of a bad taste about paying another $10 for an avatar, and I had no idea if Koos and co wanted to continue to be cunts.

This is an excellent example of the advantage of tackling your problems head on, rather than letting them live in your head and worrying about them - which I know I am guilty of.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

That was some form of malicious compliance i think and i greatly approve of it. :thumbsup:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

killerwhat posted:

I'm worried though, is your brother likely to kick off because of this?

He'll be throwing a tantrum as soon as he receives their letter. He could be throwing a tantrum right now but I wouldn't know. He wasn't responding to any of my texts or emails, except to threaten to report me to the police for malicious communications (lol), so I blocked him. There was nothing positive to be gained in maintaining communications.

He knows my address after rifling through mum's papers, but I don't think he's stupid enough to visit in person. If he is, I'll deal with it if and when it happens. I now have CCTV installed and a few rape alarms dotted around.

e: Changing the subject completely, I'm starting to visit the robins in the park again for the first time in months. This is very good for the mental health
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zMs3LLv3gs

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 9, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Seems a bit of an oversight to have the will written up to his benefit but not name themselves as the executors?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Seems a bit of an oversight to have the will written up to his benefit but not name themselves as the executors?

It's even doubly weirder that both my mum and my brother stated that the nephew was the executor. Mum wrote it in her final text to me last summer (which I didn't read until a couple of weeks after her death). I can only guess that she hosed up. She was very ill at the time of rewriting and undergoing chemotherapy.

I've not seen the will, and probably wont until it's uploaded to the gov probate website, but the solicitors seem adamant that they are the executors, and I'm more inclined to believe them than a dead mum and a lying brother. Other than that, it's a mystery. It's also loving hilarious. :allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

It's even doubly weirder that both my mum and my brother stated that the nephew was the executor. Mum wrote it in her final text to me last summer (which I didn't read until a couple of weeks after her death). I can only guess that she hosed up. She was very ill at the time of rewriting and undergoing chemotherapy.

I've not seen the will, and probably wont until it's uploaded to the gov probate website, but the solicitors seem adamant that they are the executors, and I'm more inclined to believe them than a dead mum and a lying brother. Other than that, it's a mystery.

If you're a beneficiary, surely the solicitors can show you the Will? The other possibility is that either the solicitors or your nephew has a later Will than the one each is referring to and is unaware of the existence of a Will which supersedes the one they are working off? ie who has got the latest date Will!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Just Another Lurker posted:

That was some form of malicious compliance i think and i greatly approve of it. :thumbsup:

:emptyquote:

Give 'em hell!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Have you ever suffered from mental illness?

Since you asked me directly - yes, yes I have. I feel like the implicit assumption in the rest of the post was that I haven't, and that I would lack any understanding of What Mean Mental Health. Fair enough, since I don't really discuss my mental health history in the UK Kommunism and Krisps Thread, but also... not really that fair enough?

Anyway, I have never used my mental health as an excuse to be a prick to others, certainly not professionally. Doing so would probably send me into a spiral of negative thinking about being a Bad Person. Thus, I save most of my acting the prick for the forums.

I don't really buy any arguments to the contrary as anything more than an abdication of personal responsibility. Like it or not we're all down here in the gutter with our broken brains and bodies trying to get by, so actively making life worse for others is the point where I simply say "your problems are a reason, but not an excuse". You may disagree, I don't really mind, there's no need for us to have consensus here and I doubt it makes much practical difference to how either of us inhabit the world.

Anyway, nice job fuctifino enacting karmic lawfare, hope you get the result you're looking for and don't have to speak to those people again.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you're a beneficiary, surely the solicitors can show you the Will?

I've not actually asked them. I guess that'll be an excuse to fire off yet another email to the solicitors. The solicitors definitely have the final version, as she made a point of stopping there with the nephew on the way to the hospital to start her 2nd round of chemo. Her final text to me was boasting about all of this

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Everybody shut the hell up about workplace drama and mental health and deal with some REAL issues for a change - I'm convinced that Tangfastics have become substantially less tangfastic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Maybe take a covid test :ohdear:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't really buy any arguments to the contrary as anything more than an abdication of personal responsibility. Like it or not we're all down here in the gutter with our broken brains and bodies trying to get by, so actively making life worse for others is the point where I simply say "your problems are a reason, but not an excuse". You may disagree, I don't really mind, there's no need for us to have consensus here and I doubt it makes much practical difference to how either of us inhabit the world.

I agree. The older I get, the more aware I am of the different ways in which people handle mental health issues, and especially how they get used to excuse bad behaviour. A lot of people frankly get away with being lovely and selfish by appealing to more common mental health issues like anxiety and ADHD.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Wachter posted:

Everybody shut the hell up about workplace drama and mental health and deal with some REAL issues for a change - I'm convinced that Tangfastics have become substantially less tangfastic

You're 100% right. I went through a period towards the end of last year of enjoying a monthly bag of Tangfastics and they are significantly less sour than they used to be.

No it has nothing to do with me getting older

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

issuing a correction on a previous post of mine regarding people who take 200+ days sick leave and try to get their coworkers in trouble,

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

MeinPanzer posted:

I agree. The older I get, the more aware I am of the different ways in which people handle mental health issues, and especially how they get used to excuse bad behaviour. A lot of people frankly get away with being lovely and selfish by appealing to more common mental health issues like anxiety and ADHD.

I have an acquaintance who was diagnosed with autism in her late 40s and suddenly changed her public "compliant with social norms" personality to being obnoxiously rude, loudly stating she didn't care about peoples' holidays, problems etc to their face in the pub (things she wouldn't have dreamed of saying 2 weeks earlier) and every couple of sentences saying "I've been diagnosed with autism". So she did know how "to behave in company" but decided to become completely obnoxious when she got this diagnosis as if it excused everything.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

‘Life-critical’ fire issues found in 56% of Grenfell cladder’s residential blocks

quote:

Data shows 14 of 25 blocks built by development arm of Rydon have issues and only two have had repairs completed

More than half of the residential blocks built by the company responsible for installing the deadly cladding on Grenfell Tower have “life-critical” fire safety issues, it can be revealed.

Government figures analysed by the Guardian show the development arm of Rydon, the company that installed the flammable cladding which was the primary cause of the spreading fire that killed 72 Grenfell residents, has built 25 residential blocks across England and 14 have been found to have issues.

The data, newly published by the Department of Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, shows the country’s biggest property development firms are responsible for building at least 1,325 buildings above 11 metres that have been deemed unsafe.

The total bill for fixing these blocks is estimated at more than £2.7bn – an average of just over £2m per building...

:guillotine:

e: vvv Genuine lol from me

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 9, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I mean obviously thats terrible and I sound kind of bad here, but starting to feel a bit better about my self, and abilities.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have an acquaintance who was diagnosed with autism in her late 40s and suddenly changed her public "compliant with social norms" personality to being obnoxiously rude, loudly stating she didn't care about peoples' holidays, problems etc to their face in the pub (things she wouldn't have dreamed of saying 2 weeks earlier) and every couple of sentences saying "I've been diagnosed with autism". So she did know how "to behave in company" but decided to become completely obnoxious when she got this diagnosis as if it excused everything.

This thread sure is cool and good.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have an acquaintance who was diagnosed with autism in her late 40s and suddenly changed her public "compliant with social norms" personality to being obnoxiously rude, loudly stating she didn't care about peoples' holidays, problems etc to their face in the pub (things she wouldn't have dreamed of saying 2 weeks earlier) and every couple of sentences saying "I've been diagnosed with autism".
I am constantly surprised when people do that, because if I found out I'd offended someone i'd be mortified. But then as I learn more about myself, I find out RSD seems to be a big part of my profile, which stands for R you Smad at Dme?

However this just goes to prove the saying "if you know one person with autism, you know how it affects exactly one person with autism." There's another person who sometimes posts in the same threads as me (i think the destiny thread) who has disagreed completely and said he has autism, previously aspergers, and knows he's an rear end in a top hat and doesn't particularly care.

I wish I knew how, life would be a shitload easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah fair enough on most of that but I guess I can't really reconcile you saying "Like it or not we're all down here in the gutter with our broken brains and bodies trying to get by" with the "just stop being a prick and get a different job" stuff from your post I quoted, which is mainly what I'm objecting to.

Yeah we're all struggling to exist and survive under capitalism to varying degrees and work and the precarity surrounding it is a great source of stress for many, and it's not necessarily a case of *which* work you're doing because it's not (necessarily) actually the nature of work itself that causes the stress and anxiety.