Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Orders sent, jumping to 1302, no warcrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
City fights are always a cat and mouse game with the ac20 tanks. Lot easier with this initiative at least since the hetzer doesn't have a turret

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I'm jumping to 1305 and maybe trying to start a fire on the other side of the avenue.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Just remember the difference between war crimes and wasting ammo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

painedforever posted:

Note to players - please do this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glwgameplayer posted:

i got u

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Orders in!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

glwgameplayer posted:

If they are roleplaying as Taurians then wasting ammo means keeping it in the bin when there's warcrimes to be done.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

glwgameplayer posted:

Y'know, I keep thinking about that issue of the original Marvel Transformers comic, where Optimus Prime killed a bunch of virtual people (by accident), and insisted that he get blown up because he wouldn't have done that in real life in order to win, and it counted as "cheating"...

Yeah, that was a really stupid story arc.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

blowing up buildings after y'all take the Hetzer off the table sounds like a reasonable thing to consider, if it actually helps clear sightlines

keeping those sightlines nice and blocked while they've got an AC/20 is also very reasonable imo

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Otter Madness posted:

Are we allowed to set fires, or are we not playing with that as I know it can be a pain to track.

MegaMek keeps track of that for me, so feel free to do so if you think it will help.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Secondary Objectives:
-Go for a relaxing swim in the pool. (hex 210) (Incomplete)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

aniviron posted:

Secondary Objectives:

Just in case anyone was wondering, those pools (and the helipads / solar panels / chimneys) are all just fluff that have no impact on movement or cover.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)

Hah, wow, Magos is really showing her chops with this one here. "What'll make the spoiled rich kid sit up and pay attention here and be fun for everyone? oh, I know, lets make a big a statue of your mom in the scenario!"

I'm assuming the marquis is his mom anyway. Recruiting her was worth it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mq Rousseau Decimis is his grampa

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 8, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

Hah, wow, Magos is really showing her chops with this one here. "What'll make the spoiled rich kid sit up and pay attention here and be fun for everyone? oh, I know, lets make a big a statue of your mom in the scenario!"

I'm assuming the marquis is his mom anyway. Recruiting her was worth it.

I imagined it as someone vaguely important, perhaps a famous ancestor or the House's founder. Either way it's a statue Etienne would not want to see destroyed, hence why it's an objective.

The Aurigan Coalition sourcebook is pretty light on details about the coalition's noble houses, so there's a lot of scope to add in original characters for a campaign. Marquis Pierre-Louis is a canon character, but pretty much everyone else is someone I made up for this LP.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

aniviron posted:

Secondary Objectives:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's 0219. The hex border kind of obscures the 9 and makes it look like a 0.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's actually Grover's place, pool is in the basement

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:objection:

Scintilla posted:

Building Details: [...]None of the buildings in this scenario have basements.

:smuggo:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The basement is on the second floor.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

a basement on the second floor would still be a basement, and none of the buildings in this scenario have basements, so that's still a no-go

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Updated orders.

Jumping to 1204, shooting at Firestarter.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

Updated orders.

Jumping to 1204, shooting at Firestarter.

You're shooting for like 11s right? As long as you're not overheating for it, might as well. But I wonder if the OPFOR can blast enough of the building to collapse it under your weight.

I might be wrong about how building collapse works but:

I think the GRF can slam LRMs into 1204 and if anyone else can pink at it, it could drop below 80CF which would collapse your hex.

That's how it still works right? Building CF equals how much tonnage it can hold up? So if 1204 takes more then 10 DMG you fall.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

that's correct, yeah. the combined collapse damage and the fall damage would be pretty nasty, too. opfor's probably motivated to not immediately start blowing up the buildings they're supposed to defend, but you never know

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Amechwarrior posted:

Building CF equals how much tonnage it can hold up?

That's correct.

Being on top of a building is usually a mistake. You're high up (which makes it easier for enemies to draw line of sight to you) and unless you're standing in a hex they can't draw line of sight to (like a center hex), buildings are immobile targets and enemies have a -4 ToHit bonus to shoot them which makes even long range shots pretty trivial.

They may be more likely to shoot up a simulated city than they would a real one.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 9, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Oh, ok, you guys are going to just hang out there like a trap? Cool, we're going to start systematically destroying buildings here while you just sit there, lmk when you change your mind."

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I don't think I've seen an order so universally panned in one of these threads lol!

I will play it safe and jump to 1305.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

I don't think I've seen an order so universally panned in one of these threads lol!

I will play it safe and jump to 1305.

It's all good, just have to weigh the risk vs rewards. If the building had more CF, or if it would give you some amazing shot odds (11 lol) it might be worth it. But there's no real upside to that move, at the possibility of falling 3 levels to a solid LRM-10 strike and one other attack. You're one of the two main damage dealers and the only one with a big gun. Yet, the 80t Victor's armor is comparable to the 50t Hunchback.

We're outnumbered, that means they're already concentrating their firepower on fewer of us and we need to live long enough to kill the Griffin.

We can still hop on buildings towards the end. Just need to secure the objectives first.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Oh, it's what I get for combining posting with a late hour. I am not sure if much else has a shot at the building, but it's not worth it. And I didn't even think about having the building shot out from under me lol.

No need to have the jumpy AC20 blow up on the first turn :)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

And I didn't even think about having the building shot out from under me lol.

That's happened to everyone, or they inflicted it on their opponent who didn't connect the dots. That's why everyone is advising against it. Buildings are usually a trap unless it's very strong and you're not very heavy.

For your 1305 landing. You'll want to land facing North or South so you can walk around the corner for a easy shot next turn. I'd guess South would put you closer to where they might go.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2024

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cityscape_[9994]: Turn 1

“I’m surprised you didn’t bring the Reverend this time. Any particular reason?”

Louis shrugged at Archibald’s question – or would have, if his bulky neurohelmet hadn’t locked his head and shoulders in place. “I’ve always wanted to try out the 4P. Folks say it’s the best of the Swaybacks, and I figured I’d see for myself.”

“Oh yeah? What’s the verdict so far?”

Louis pursed his lips thoughtfully, then took aim at a corner of the large department store to his right. “I dunno. Let’s find out.”

Flickers of reddish light pulsed through the air as the barely-visible beams of six Medium Lasers spat from the Hunchback’s torso mount. The store’s concrete and fibreglass façade wilted under the intense heat, the former cracking and crumbling from thermal shock while the latter quickly melted into a thick black sludge. Smoke vented from the remains of the store’s windows as the beams penetrated deeper into the building, burning through shelves and reducing glass display cases to piles of molten slag.

“Daaaamn!” Archibald exclaimed. “That’s some serious heat. I pity the poor idiot who finds himself on the wrong end of that.”

Louis whistled softly and took his finger off the firing stud. “Yeah, it’s not bad.” The laser array didn’t quite have the satisfying kick of the Reverend's AC/20, but there was no denying that it could do some serious damage. He could probably have brought down that entire section of the building if he’d wanted, but he didn’t want to risk overheating just yet, especially with a Firestarter lurking somewhere nearby.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4P (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Medium Building (Hex 0803); needs 2, rolls 12: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 0803) absorbs 5 damage, 35/40 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Medium Building (Hex 0803); needs 2, rolls 11: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 0803) absorbs 5 damage, 30/40 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Medium Building (Hex 0803); needs 2, rolls 6: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 0803) absorbs 5 damage, 25/40 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Medium Building (Hex 0803); needs 2, rolls 3: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 0803) absorbs 5 damage, 20/40 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Medium Building (Hex 0803); needs 2, rolls 9: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 0803) absorbs 5 damage, 15/40 CF remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Medium Building (Hex 0803); needs 2, rolls 3: Hits! Medium Building (Hex 0803) absorbs 5 damage, 10/40 CF remaining.

Weapons fire for Victor VTR-9B (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wyvern WVE-6N (Player):
-Holds fire!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Goblin (SRM) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Vedette (Standard) (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4P (Player) gains 20 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Victor VTR-9B (Player) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wyvern WVE-6N (Player) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Firestarter FS9-A (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6D (Fusiliers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) turned after running on pavement (Hex 0810); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 4, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) turned after running on pavement (Hex 0911); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 5, rolls 9: Succeeds!

Bulldog Medium Tank (Fusiliers) turned after flanking on pavement (Hex 0307); must pass a piloting test to avoid skidding out of control! Needs 5, rolls 11: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Dodge: Enables the pilot to make a dodge manoeuvre instead of a physical attack, inflicting a +2 accuracy penalty against enemy physical attacks during the melee phase.
-Evasive Action: By forfeiting the right to fire during the shooting phase, the pilot gains the ability to move evasively, inflicting an additional +1 penalty against incoming weapons fire and physical attacks. The unit must use its Running MP, have undamaged hips, and will gain an extra +2 heat at the end of the round.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Rangemaster: Range modifiers for long and short range are switched.
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.

Relevant Design Quirks:
-Battle Fists: The mech receives a -1 accuracy bonus when punching.
-Cramped Cockpit: The pilot suffers a +1 penalty on piloting rolls.
-Extended Torso Twist: The mech can twist its torso one hex further than usual.
-Narrow Profile: The mech takes less damage from incoming weapons fire if the margin of success is +1 or lower. Direct fire weapons deal half damage, while cluster attacks receive a -4 penalty when determining the number of hits.
-Poor Workmanship: The unit takes a +1 penalty on critical rolls.

--

Primary Objectives:
-Eliminate enemy commander (Etienne Decimis) (0/1)
-Destroy at least four Fusilier battlemechs (0/4)

Secondary Objectives:
-Destroy the statue of Marquis Rousseau Decimis (Hex 1619) (50,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy City Militia base (All single hex buildings in the city block with the northernmost hex of 0208) (100,000 C-Bill reward)
-Destroy Militia Fuel Depot (150,000 C-Bill reward)

--

Next Orders Due: Saturday 13th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 10, 2024

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Should we just conga line along 0804 to 1103 and just obliterate the Bulldog? I don't think anyone else could get shots off.

I think I should move up to 0804 and have the Victor jump to 0904 , let the HBK stand and shoot, then the Wyvern take 1103. This sets up the Victor for jump locations next turn and we keep the Hunchback in the alley so it can't get focused. I think I should take point this time to draw fire, at least from the SRMs. Otherwise we could put the Hunch up front but I think it's got a lot of brawling to do very soon and it will need all the armor it's got.

The Hetzer can't get any good LOS text turn. The enemy Hunchback can track 1308 and face towards the crossroads next turn so we'll not want to be in that space next turn.

Basically what we want to do while in these blocks is stack down a narrow alley for LOS protection and shoot at the one target in front of us and hopefully deal significant damage. We just need to make sure we don't get flanked. We can move forward to the next alley as a line or stay where we are. We just don't want to be stuck in the cross roads if we can avoid it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Etienne's choosing to keep to his perch, probably directing things, nifty! good character growth

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

“I’ve always wanted to try out the 4P. Folks say it’s the best of the Swaybacks, and I figured I’d see for myself.”

They're right :colbert:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
And thus the Orthodoxy vs Radical debate claims another victim.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

Amechwarrior posted:

Should we just conga line along 0804 to 1103 and just obliterate the Bulldog? I don't think anyone else could get shots off.

I think I should move up to 0804 and have the Victor jump to 0904 , let the HBK stand and shoot, then the Wyvern take 1103. This sets up the Victor for jump locations next turn and we keep the Hunchback in the alley so it can't get focused. I think I should take point this time to draw fire, at least from the SRMs. Otherwise we could put the Hunch up front but I think it's got a lot of brawling to do very soon and it will need all the armor it's got.

The Hetzer can't get any good LOS text turn. The enemy Hunchback can track 1308 and face towards the crossroads next turn so we'll not want to be in that space next turn.

Basically what we want to do while in these blocks is stack down a narrow alley for LOS protection and shoot at the one target in front of us and hopefully deal significant damage. We just need to make sure we don't get flanked. We can move forward to the next alley as a line or stay where we are. We just don't want to be stuck in the cross roads if we can avoid it.

Seems like its either this for me, or jumping to 0907 to set up for next turn.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Otter Madness posted:

Seems like its either this for me, or jumping to 0907 to set up for next turn.

We might be able to kill the Bulldog without your fire. 0907 opens up options for you jumping around the Hetzer next turn too, but you'll be alone. However, you'll probably be safely beside/behind the Hetz unless it falls back. Even then, you're still in the right area to deal with the Bulldog and Firestarter if the enemy Hunchback and Hetz are turtling together.

I could make it to 1006 to support your move, but we'd be splitting ourselves going forward as the our Hunchback can't keep pace. I'd also not want the our Hunchback/Wyvern to have to square off against the Firestarter and Bulldog next turn. So, you going to 0907 is a reasonable move, but we lose a little more damage vs the Bulldog now.

Our Hunchback should probably determine our general lines of fire and target as it's going to be limited even at run MP. If we support it, all four of us should be able to severely damage one target each turn.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

I think I should move up to 0804 and have the Victor jump to 0904 , let the HBK stand and shoot,

Hbk:

This aligns with what i was thinking for positioning, especially if someone else with a better move mod can tank the srms.

Won’t commit orders until tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
I am up for either idea. I am shooting on 11s though, and will probably only fire the AC20 and a Med Las to keep heat under control.

My thoughts on 0907 are that it limits a lot of movement for the Hunchback and Hetzer. The Hetzer really can't follow the HBK to the middle of the map without exposing its back to me, and the HBK would have to give up that alleyway to protect the Hetzer.

They could all fall back to the militia base I guess, but that will likely limit their movement in future turns.