Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

there's also this bizarre mentality i've seen in a lot of different places from both developers and players where they will say things like "well if i'm not unlocking content, what is the point of playing?", seemingly unaware of the idea that you would play a game because it is fun

Call of Duty 4 has a lot to answer for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cock hero flux posted:

there's also this bizarre mentality i've seen in a lot of different places from both developers and players where they will say things like "well if i'm not unlocking content, what is the point of playing?", seemingly unaware of the idea that you would play a game because it is fun

Curse of Engagement

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

cock hero flux posted:

There are so many ways to do this that aren't placing core game mechanics behind two dozen runs!

Orv
May 4, 2011

babypolis posted:

took me a few tries but heres what worked for me

early game is pretty rough because you have little healing or defence so i think going for the poise stuff early on is vital so you dont die horribly. getting a crow mask is pretty fun as you can imagine, master teleport pretty much negates the downside and late game you just press space bar and watch as the entire level dies

really love the variety of builds in this game btw, you can pretty much just look at something that seems cool and go for it. first win was a summoner, second was this cool astral teleporting psychic warrior, third win was a priest of pain and suffering that just spread awful poo poo everwhere

This is a pretty good setup, thanks. I kept poking at Stand Ground but I hadn't thought about putting in Bheith as well, it's a good idea.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

No Wave posted:

There are so many ways to do this that aren't placing core game mechanics behind two dozen runs!

Yeah, I'd say that if you're crowbarring in metaprogression solely to satisfy lizard brains and not to actually structure your game around it, the best way to do it is to gate run variety(so in the case of skul, more skulls and equipment) behind metaprog. Putting core functionality behind it just feels awful.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

I'm 100 percent guilty of this btw. Playing tiny rogues right now and it's just unlock runs etc. Once I unlock stuff I tend to be able to shift back to normal play but metaprogression drives me.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Orv posted:

This is a pretty good setup, thanks. I kept poking at Stand Ground but I hadn't thought about putting in Bheith as well, it's a good idea.

Np, keep in mind I didnt have many unlocks at the time so some stuff is proably less than ideal. Like Reaver as a class is pretty meh, the class that heals based on empty slots seems like a much better fit. And you could try the teleport god instead

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I'm wired to respond extremely well to metaprogression but even I can tell the difference between the good, fun kind that fuels my inclination to keep playing versus pure filler that exists to artificially extend playtime.

And tellingly, good games will keep my attention long after the metaprog dries up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Path of Achra got a lore/backstory update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2128270/view/3886108111342106068?l=english

quote:

0.9.4.6 Feats

A big thing with this update is trying to "unify" the lore by fleshing out details on item / enemy descriptions based on cosmology diagrams crudely etched over the holidays. Also:

Added a whole in-game feats system. Want to add a lot of fun challenge things here. Also want to make sure it matches up with steam achievements mostly, which has led to something that will seem weird to people who already have a lot of achievements:

REWROTE STEAM PRESTIGE ACHIEVEMENTS as "achieve victory with ... prestige class" -- unfortunately everyone who has these achievements will have the description changed without having to "re-earn" them

Simply unlocking the prestige classes to get the achievement was never really what I wanted it to be but there isn't an elegant way to walk it back now that there are so many, and I feel like nobody wants their achievements deleted. Anyway, This isn't the type of thing that will happen after early access. In general, I never want to change things that the player has acquired and have been pretty good about avoiding that so far. For anyone who has 100%ed it on steam, the new in-game feats screen will hopefully give some way to feel the new accomplishments

Going forward, everything should be integrated now, and also there will be more fun themed achievements to look forward to (such as playing naked etc) and a central area to potentially track different kinds of progression

VERY grateful to the bug reports and suggestions I've been getting from players, that stuff helps a ton and is very motivating

Lots of lore rewrites for items / enemies - trying to connect things together with references to common places / figures; the storm temples, lost Shippurak, the dead queen of the burning lands, the astral mind-warren etc
Added a Feats screen - accessible from the first screen - this will track in-game feats, shows progress toward total, describe their conditions etc

[full notes @ link]

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tiny Rogues pisses me off because the second set of characters all have unlock requirements based on playing the first set of characters, so you have to choose between playing new characters or doing runs to unlock more new characters. It's a good enough game that I'll put up with it but you should not have to choose between doing fun things and getting unlocks.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This game oozes cool and is fun and easy to play

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RIP Geistform, we hardly knew ye

new god seems cool, though

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Skul is a cool game that I wish I liked more but it's got three pretty big issues-

1) The metaprogression is entirely a 'ticket to ride' tax where the Skul who is ready to beat the game has maxed out the metaprog tree and is missing major functionality until then.

2) The visual clutter absolutely obscures important details and leads to you soaking up what would be otherwise avoidable hits unless you go out of your way to avoid big flashy skulls, artifacts, quintessenses, and passives.

3). The final boss is less a difficulty spike then a difficulty sheer cliff wall who also is the biggest abuser of 2) by a country mile on top of that. Even if you know his stuff good luck reacting properly to half of it with your and his bullshit masking his extremely limited and undersold tells.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oh nice, I did think it was a little odd that almost all the defensive stats were under Dex.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

2) The visual clutter absolutely obscures important details and leads to you soaking up what would be otherwise avoidable hits unless you go out of your way to avoid big flashy skulls, artifacts, quintessenses, and passives.

My mildly spicy take on action roguelites is 3d games are fundamentally better at this than 2d games - Risk of Rain 2 vs Dead Cells or Hades to pick big successful examples

3d just opens up so much design space and literal space for combat

Basically every 2d action roguelite has combat turn into this amorphous mush of enemies stacked on top of each other that you either wholesale obliterate or die to what amounts to an 8 headed hydra in stacked sprite form (Risk of Rain 1 vs 2 shows this in real stark contrast within the same franchise)

The downsides are of course 3d is a massively higher barrier of entry, so there's way more good and fun 2d roguelites than 3d ones, and it's still entirely possible to gently caress up in 3d, it doesn't solve everything and introduces its own set of problems, but yeah

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I heard you can alt+F4 to restart boss fights which I'm absolutely going to use because learning boss tells would take an eternity otherwise.

victrix posted:

My mildly spicy take on action roguelites is 3d games are fundamentally better at this than 2d games - Risk of Rain 2 vs Dead Cells or Hades to pick big successful examples

Basically every 2d action roguelite has combat turn into this amorphous mush of enemies stacked on top of each other that you either wholesale obliterate or die to what amounts to an 8 headed hydra in stacked sprite form (Risk of Rain 1 vs 2 shows this in real stark contrast within the same franchise)

The downsides are of course 3d is a massively higher barrier of entry, so there's way more good and fun 2d roguelites than 3d ones, and it's still entirely possible to gently caress up in 3d, it doesn't solve everything and introduces its own set of problems, but yeah
2D action roguelite is an extremely massive genre, I really don't think this is accurate. 3D games are also just bad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 9, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

victrix posted:

I don’t think this is all that spicy, to be fair. I picked up Tiny Rogues because the basic framework of Binding of Isaac has interested me for a long time but I can’t do the aesthetic at all. Tiny Rogues is great but the same reason I don’t really do many shmups comes up here too; once you put enough stuff on screen my brain starts making pathing/movement mistakes really quickly. In a 3D game it makes way more intuitive sense, especially with a good jump.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orv posted:

Oh nice, I did think it was a little odd that almost all the defensive stats were under Dex.

it's a weird hybrid where dex gives you flat defensive stats and str gives you a scaling percentage modifier on your defensive stats(except dodge), so high dex builds tend to be made of paper mache because the flat bonuses can't keep up without scaling modifiers, and high str builds are super dependent on equipment stats to apply the scaling to because they have very low bases. This patch has mitigated this for strength builds by giving them flat armour too but dex builds are still probably "you got hit once and you're so fragile that it killed you through all 3 divine protections" on high cycles.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, the chance to just fail a dodge roll is also a big thing. It keeps things interesting but it does lead me to prioritize health a lot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Path of Survivors came out today, about $5 Canadian with launch discount. It’s on my wishlist but I don’t remember anything about it? I wish the list let me leave notes to myself.

”Store Page” posted:

Unlock new heroes and abilities, collect and craft powerful equipment, path the 1000+ nodes passive tree, strategize meta-progression, customized runs, and create game-breaking synergies with 6 active classes and 36 abilities all at once in this roguelite hack and slash survivors bullet heaven game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orv posted:

Yeah, the chance to just fail a dodge roll is also a big thing. It keeps things interesting but it does lead me to prioritize health a lot.

I've honestly given up on dodge as a defensive stat and just base all of my dex builds around being so fast and so lethal that nothing is allowed to attack me. Block and armour also have a flat 10% chance to just do nothing, which is irritating to me, but unlike dodge you can actually stack both of them super high on the same character, and that character will also have a really big HP pool from strength, so they cover each other's weaknesses and characters relying on them are inherently more likely to live if they both manage to fail.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Path of Survivors came out today, about $5 Canadian with launch discount. It’s on my wishlist but I don’t remember anything about it? I wish the list let me leave notes to myself.

the screenshot of the metaprogression page unironically made me produce an audible fear noise

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Path of survivors is actually an idle game in action roguelike/vs clothes

Orv
May 4, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the screenshot of the metaprogression page unironically made me produce an audible fear noise

“Oh come on it can’t be th- hm, Path of Exile on drugs is certainly a choice.”

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Who the gently caress actually enjoys these gigantic trees of passive bs that looks like a drat circuit board?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to fuckin' love them when I was on adderall but now not so much

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Who the gently caress actually enjoys these gigantic trees of passive bs that looks like a drat circuit board?

In Path of Exile I learned very quickly how smart the tree was at letting me shape my character. Every point (except the random +10 stat nodes that basically just form a path) feels important. It's organized so that it's much smaller than it looks, all the important stuff you want is close to other stuff you need.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Deakul posted:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

and many don't even use steam to play it! like me

No Wave posted:

3D games are also just bad.

returnal is the best to do it in 3d ime. Housemarque are fantastic tho and it took them a long time to transition to a 3d game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cock hero flux posted:

I was expecting this post from Jack Trades, tbqh.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

victrix posted:

Spelunky doesn't have this issue at all. But then, Spelunky doesn't have metaprogression either - it's "just" a well-balanced implementation of true Rogue principles in real time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

In my case it would be a noise of disgust instead.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

gently caress! Dylan just posted about Rift wizard 2. Says there's too much he wants to tidy up and he's targetting March

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Orv posted:

I don’t think this is all that spicy, to be fair. I picked up Tiny Rogues because the basic framework of Binding of Isaac has interested me for a long time but I can’t do the aesthetic at all. Tiny Rogues is great but the same reason I don’t really do many shmups comes up here too; once you put enough stuff on screen my brain starts making pathing/movement mistakes really quickly. In a 3D game it makes way more intuitive sense, especially with a good jump.
I am personally sensitive to visual clarity issues, but I think many old/oldschool shmups are much better at maintaining visual clarity despite visual busyness than recent actions RLs tend to be. I've posted about this in more detail years ago, and while Tiny Rogues is certainly more clear than the mentioned game it still has clarity issues and I still feel like modern indie devs are frequently making the same mistakes that shmup devs largely solved decades ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

I am personally sensitive to visual clarity issues, but I think many old/oldschool shmups are much better at maintaining visual clarity despite visual busyness than recent actions RLs tend to be. I've posted about this in more detail years ago, and while Tiny Rogues is certainly more clear than the mentioned game it still has clarity issues and I still feel like modern indie devs are frequently making the same mistakes that shmup devs largely solved decades ago.

That’s entirely fair. I don’t have a ton of experience with the more classic shmups just due to how my console and arcade access was during those eras, so most of my exposure is more modern takes. I think the biggest problem with things like Tiny Rogues is that they’re happy to layer one tricky to read but mostly okay attack onto another, which makes both of them worse. I admittedly don’t have a wealth of solutions for this beyond “stop that,” so people with more experience would probably do better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

w00tmonger posted:

gently caress! Dylan just posted about Rift wizard 2. Says there's too much he wants to tidy up and he's targetting March

I am dead

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

rude

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

path of achra is only getting cooler as time goes by, really digging the weird amounts of variety going on with each update

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LazyMaybe posted:

Oh lol, this thread wasn't fond of Neon Abyss either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I'd say that if you're crowbarring in metaprogression solely to satisfy lizard brains and not to actually structure your game around it, the best way to do it is to gate run variety(so in the case of skul, more skulls and equipment) behind metaprog. Putting core functionality behind it just feels awful.

i like it. the "smoke the whole pack" approach to the cancer that is metaprogression :v: