Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Just Winging It posted:

You do stick it in a hole to have a good root around.

If you don't bottom out your wood, you won't have a good finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I’ve got a 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector with an aftermarket canister filter, along with a cyclone. They work fine, but they take up an ungodly amount of space. The cyclone is an inevitability to catch chips, but I’ve been wondering if there’s a better way to handle fine dust. Could I put a vent in the side of my garage and blow fine dust out that way, and maybe lose the canister? Or is this a bad idea?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tracecomplete posted:

I’ve got a 2HP Harbor Freight dust collector with an aftermarket canister filter, along with a cyclone. They work fine, but they take up an ungodly amount of space. The cyclone is an inevitability to catch chips, but I’ve been wondering if there’s a better way to handle fine dust. Could I put a vent in the side of my garage and blow fine dust out that way, and maybe lose the canister? Or is this a bad idea?

You could certainly extend the hose that goes from the fan blower to the bag and stick that out the window or something. You could also lose the cyclone and just stick a trash can under that hose outside, or just let the chips pile up, but it’ll make a big mess. Keep the run from fan to outside as short as possible especially if you’re using flexible ducting. Depending on how long your duct runs are and how much you’re sucking up you may see a biiiig drop in suction running it to the edge of the garage instead of 4’ to the dust collector. 4” flexible hose is a major suction killer if the run is more than a few feet.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Thanks - that tracks. The collector already sits next to the wall and if anything moving the hose up 4’ onto wall mount might make it moderately shorter a run for the most common tools. My garage is pretty narrow and the bigger tools are used right next to the collector as-is. It's a 2HP collector on a single hose that rarely if ever stretches more than about 6' and goes to one tool at a time; I designed and printed some magnetic couplers that I use instead of a lot of ductwork. I’m not super worried about losing suction, was more worried about whether I wasn't thinking about something important with just blowing the fine particles out.

I wish I could just blow chips outside, but I live near other people. Maybe I’ll test it before hooking up the cyclone though, and see if I can wrangle it to be a minimal-ish mess with the barrel outside.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
At least you managed to free the wizard that was trapped in that tree

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

amazing :allears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Use it artistically, please I beg of thee

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

When you walnut but she keeps routing

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
Since we’re posting trapped souls

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Stultus Maximus posted:

My latest project is one I'd have preferred not to have to make so soon after the last one but you gotta do what you gotta do.
It's pretty big for a small woman but it's big enough to fit her and her pets in and will go in the niche next to the one I made for my dad two years ago.

Base, contrast strip, and top ambrosia maple. Sides quartersawn cherry.

In late with sincere condolences, Brother.
I had to do one 5 years ago for my wife, and couldn't come up with an idea. I ended up hating the result, but it was going back East to her origin fam. Same sort of base, and I like yours. Now that I view it again, it was too tryhard, but I'm okay with it. Striped maple, walnut, padauk, rosewood corners I think.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLb1nThRds

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Grumio posted:

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Woodworking:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Grumio posted:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I had scrap left over from the last one and the handles I had ordered finally actually arrived so I made another little cabinet for under my fish tank. Mostly Oak and Maple; the darker wood is a chunk of Beli I pulled out of a closeout bin at Woodcraft. Still need to fix the door alignment a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That looks super nice! I see the door alignment issue but that shouldn't be too hard to adjust. What kind of finish did you apply? It looks very light colored so no stain I assume.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wallet posted:

I had scrap left over from the last one and the handles I had ordered finally actually arrived so I made another little cabinet for under my fish tank. Mostly Oak and Maple; the darker wood is a chunk of Beli I pulled out of a closeout bin at Woodcraft. Still need to fix the door alignment a bit.

I really like the use of chamfering on the drawer fronts and the interior of the frame. Gonna steal that for a project sometime soon.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

That looks super nice! I see the door alignment issue but that shouldn't be too hard to adjust. What kind of finish did you apply? It looks very light colored so no stain I assume.

It's just General Finishes water based poly; I think they call it topcoat or something.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I built a clock. Curly maple and waterfall bubinga. Finished with shellac, 18" (45cm) diameter.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I built a clock. Curly maple and waterfall bubinga. Finished with shellac, 18" (45cm) diameter.

That looks great! Did you do the Krenov thing and only put an hour and a second hand on with no minute hand?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I made a scaffolding board desk for my office back at the start of the pandemic and now I want to remake a new, slightly better, slightly shorter one. One thing I want to do this time is smooth it out a bit more and I wondered if giving it a resin surface was a good idea to fill any little gaps and make it smooth. Baring in mind I only have hand power tool, so no surfacers or anything like that. I'm not wanting a deep pour of resin or anything like that, just something that will give me a nice smooth surface.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

A good poly coat would do that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Resin is pretty hard to work with, in my experience. But I agree that a simple polyurethane finish would do something similar, much more easily.

But also, remember to sand the wood. If smoothness is important, I'd do 100 grit, 200 grit, then 400 grit. The 100 grit is where you spend most of your time, the other two are just to remove the scratches made by the sandpaper.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

A good poly coat would do that

Would a poly coat take out relatively deep features, im thinking 4-5mm indentations etc?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Would a poly coat take out relatively deep features, im thinking 4-5mm indentations etc?

No--what are they from? You can steam dents out, but if we're talking about filling divots half a cm deep you either need to resurface or fill with something. Filling the holes with epoxy will work fine, but I don't imagine you want to do the whole surface because finishing it afterwards would be a nightmare with hand tools.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 6, 2024

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Aramoro posted:

not even a little

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks great! Did you do the Krenov thing and only put an hour and a second hand on with no minute hand?

No, just the traditional hour & minute hands.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dang it is insert imgur broken? I finished my dog pen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I use the imgur upload plugin (and log in, so all my uploads are in an account) but you can always just go to imgur.com and upload there. Are you using the SA mobile app or something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leperflesh posted:

I use the imgur upload plugin (and log in, so all my uploads are in an account) but you can always just go to imgur.com and upload there. Are you using the SA mobile app or something?

Yeah. The sa mobile app has always been my go to for adding pics because it kept me from having to make more accounts and install other apps, which is my top priority.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. The sa mobile app has always been my go to for adding pics because it kept me from having to make more accounts and install other apps, which is my top priority.

If you're on Android:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717&pagenumber=210&perpage=40

You'd have to click over to the beta.

And you'll need an imgur account because imgur now deletes anonymous uploads after "some time".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uthor posted:

If you're on Android:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717&pagenumber=210&perpage=40

You'd have to click over to the beta.

And you'll need an imgur account because imgur now deletes anonymous uploads after "some time".

Ah well I'll just like... not post images then. Too much effort.

But here's a discord link that'll probably also expire after "some time" but I didn't have to make a new account for it:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Ah well I'll just like... not post images then. Too much effort.

But here's a discord link that'll probably also expire after "some time" but I didn't have to make a new account for it:

Ngl, I thought you meant you’d carved a pen that looked like a dog.

This is also pretty cool and has the added bonus of getting to pet the dog.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I use imgbb for uploading images on mobile.
https://imgbb.com/upload

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
My cousin is asking me if there's anything she can do about the particularly noticeable fading on her teak dining room table (it's in quite a sunny room)

I haven't really worked with teak, is there anything relatively straightforward to do to balance this out a bit?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Any reason a strip and restain wouldn't work?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Toast posted:

My cousin is asking me if there's anything she can do about the particularly noticeable fading on her teak dining room table (it's in quite a sunny room)

If you hadn't said anything, I would have just assumed it was a nice looking table made of two contrasting types of wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Give it a 180 flip once in a while so the sun bleaches it evenly :v: