Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

mystes posted:

I think the idea is just that to be convicted in a court they first have to be impeached and convicted by congress.

Yeah, but this isn't anything that can actually happen. A President could have half of congress be removed, assassinated, or otherwise and that's perfectly fine until said congress impeaches and convicts him first? I mean, I guess they CAN rule that, but RIP congress members if Trump gets re-elected again, they'll all be murdered day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

jokes posted:

it's actually that boomers as a generation are a death cult that believe and hope that the world ends with them

It's loving this^

American Boomers and a good number of Xers were told they are the last generation before Jesus comes back constantly during the Cold War, now oh wow they believe it and want the world to end before they die, so they can see the not themselves suffer from their gated community in the sky.

Death Cult

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to be fair. I think most people will and will many will vote against trump. its just most people dont follow politics that much and its not real until it is. much like with roe.

yeah, i'm holding out hope for that

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bottom Liner posted:

He's currently facing 91 felony charges, so convicting him for some of those is probably step two.

He’s facing those charges for you! If he wasn’t standing between the Biden Crime DOJ and you, everyone in America would be facing those 91 charges!

He’s so brave!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trump losing in 2024 doesn’t mean its over. The veil has been pulled back and the GOP knows how to energize and sync with a base to get them into office and power. Trump will try again until his dying days, and once he’s gone, there will be another ghoul in his place.

The MAGA crowd demands a leader - they’ve seen how far they can really get with their riots and intimidations in other parts of the country. Someone will lead that crowd, they will be here forever because it took one giant idiot to push “stolen election” and “fake news” forward as excuses for loses rather than actual demographics defeating them and verifiable truths.

The U.S. government is like living in a house where there are no locks on the doors or windows - it’s easy for someone to get in and stay there and make a mess. It’s going to be a constant vigil to keep them out.

Or maybe it goes the other way once Trump is convicted and sent to prison and cries like a dog, or when he passes away, everyone just moves on and the whole MAGA movement passes like a fart in the wind. Who knows! Just go out and loving vote like it’ll be the last time, because it just might.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

AI is getting pretty passable.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ringo Star Get posted:

Trump losing in 2024 doesn’t mean its over. The veil has been pulled back and the GOP knows how to energize and sync with a base to get them into office and power. Trump will try again until his dying days, and once he’s gone, there will be another ghoul in his place.

There will always be another ghoul but I believe the MAGA movement will end with Trump. In exactly the same way as Lyndon LaRouche, Trump’s followers will not swap over to a new messiah, and will keep supporting their dead hero even after death. They will winnow down over the years and quietly move away from the cult, until they get taken in by a new grifter rear end in a top hat.

Assuming, of course, Trump loses in 2024 and dies from a heart attack.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

The MAGA crowd demands a leader - they’ve seen how far they can really get with their riots and intimidations in other parts of the country. Someone will lead that crowd, they will be here forever because it took one giant idiot to push “stolen election” and “fake news” forward as excuses for loses rather than actual demographics defeating them and verifiable truths.

The U.S. government is like living in a house where there are no locks on the doors or windows - it’s easy for someone to get in and stay there and make a mess. It’s going to be a constant vigil to keep them out.

Or maybe it goes the other way once Trump is convicted and sent to prison and cries like a dog, or when he passes away, everyone just moves on and the whole MAGA movement passes like a fart in the wind. Who knows! Just go out and loving vote like it’ll be the last time, because it just might.
I don't know... if Trump loses in 2024, he's going to be really loving old in 2028 and while I think in theory republicans would probably be happy to align around a new trump replacement, in practice I think there will be a ton of in-fighting without someone like trump they can all agree is their god-emperor, and I think that actually might make it pretty hard for republicans to act cohesively.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Good news/bad news: This year will be the year. Either we rise up and reject Trump, or we don't.
Him dying before the election or going to jail would simply things, but if not, 11/2024 will be our inflection point.

For now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m still thinking that Trump was basically a once-in-a-lifetime event that the GOP will (hopefully) have a motherfucker of a time trying to ever replicate.

The old guard’s been blowing their wad for nearly a decade now trying to get someone, anyone else set up as The Next Big Thing After Trump, and so far they just keep shooting blanks no matter what they try.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

rotinaj posted:

There will always be another ghoul but I believe the MAGA movement will end with Trump. In exactly the same way as Lyndon LaRouche, Trump’s followers will not swap over to a new messiah, and will keep supporting their dead hero even after death. They will winnow down over the years and quietly move away from the cult, until they get taken in by a new grifter rear end in a top hat.

Assuming, of course, Trump loses in 2024 and dies from a heart attack.

If anything I think the biggest threat to emerge from the Trump era is the GOP, having demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that they will throw the country into dictatorship the very second they have the leverage to do it, and there are essentially zero elements of the GOP that would put up any resistance. At least for myself, the "it won't happen here" mentality was based on a belief that the two parties are uninterested in rocking the boat enough to upset the power dynamic they already benefit from. It's clear to me now that the GOP is looking to flip this bitch over and tip us all into the water.

Not a lot we can do about it, other than to acknowledge it. Which US society still completely sucks at.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Now, I thought we had achieved a huge victory electing Bill Clinton, but then W.

Then I thought we had achieved a huge victory electing Obama, but then Trump.

But, if Trump loses in 2024, I do think he's done, as his movement. He's unique, as is MAGA. It ends with him.
And while if he's still alive in 2025, no doubt he'll still be ranting and raving. But can he realistically pose a threat in 2028?

Seems highly unlikely, but I've been wrong before!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I hope we don't have 7 days of waiting for the results of the election either. I just want it all do e in one night.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
As lovely as everything is now and as much as it hosed me up mentally I still pause and think that maybe it's best that we tested these boundaries with a dumbass ringleader like Trump, rather than a cult leader with the actual prowess and intelligence to get the job done. Assuming he doesn't ultimately succeed.

Maybe it will give us the introspection as a country to establish more boundaries beyond an honor system.

lol jk

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jelly posted:

As lovely as everything is now and as much as it hosed me up mentally I still pause and think that maybe it's best that we tested these boundaries with a dumbass ringleader like Trump, rather than a cult leader with the actual prowess and intelligence to get the job done. Assuming he doesn't ultimately succeed.

Maybe it will give us the introspection as a country to establish more boundaries beyond an honor system.

lol jk

I feel like you have a definite point here

The us succeeded at a stress test when Barry Goldwater lost the election, and succeeded at a stress test when Trump did not do a coup on Jan 6

There have been many failed stress tests but it is nice to see some had failed

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

I’m still thinking that Trump was basically a once-in-a-lifetime event that the GOP will (hopefully) have a motherfucker of a time trying to ever replicate.
I swear that almost this exact statement was said right after the Reagan administration :sigh:

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Grey Cat posted:

Thank god AI isn't there yet, no way Trump could pull this claim off currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WfZuNceFDM

This is 3 years old now

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

kazil posted:

Nah, it's specifically about Mark Ruffalo posting obvious AI pictures of Trump with underage girls, and then publicly apologizing for posting it. The right are using it as a gotcha.

Oh ok, I tend not to read the actual Trump posts because they're all the same and make my head hurt.

dervival posted:

I swear that almost this exact statement was said right after the Reagan administration :sigh:

We just got into watching Fargo and Bruce Campbell as a pre-Presedential Reagan already showing signs of dementia made me lol. Also lol that Nick Offerman is literally the same character from Parks and Rec only he's a lawyer and doesn't have a mustache.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 9, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ringo Star Get posted:

yeah but they've tried very hard to install their own ghouls and they can't get anyone who lights fires in hearts like trump

we're very lucky in that he's a Special Ghoul, the kind they can only find once every 40 years or so; their last one was Reagan.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
if this was Fallout game, Trump would be a named ghoul in the Overseer's Office of a vault who has a special drop, and all the other dudes would just be ghouls

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Republican party seems to respond to celebrity status more than anything else.so I won't be surprised with President Dwayne Johnson.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

rotinaj posted:

Assuming, of course, Trump loses in 2024 and dies from a heart attack. 48-hour continuous flatulence.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

lol
Lemme know when a deepfake doesn't get debunked and sends someone to jail.
To my knowledge this has not happened.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 9, 2024

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I feel like when trump dies all the centrists who like him will lose their spirit and go back to not caring about politics anymore. It’ll take a while before they can get someone who will rile up the normies like he can again.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Frank Frank posted:

Oh ok, I tend not to read the actual Trump posts because they're all the same and make my head hurt.

We just got into watching Fargo and Bruce Campbell as a pre-Presedential Reagan already showing signs of dementia made me lol. Also lol that Nick Offerman is literally the same character from Parks and Rec only he's a lawyer and doesn't have a mustache.

Out of my way, tool of the state!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

rotinaj posted:

I feel like you have a definite point here

The us succeeded at a stress test when Barry Goldwater lost the election, and succeeded at a stress test when Trump did not do a coup on Jan 6

There have been many failed stress tests but it is nice to see some had failed

In my genuin heart of hearts, I think trumps big shot was january 6th and when he lost that and the other poo poo. he was done. the chuds will bend the knee to him until the end but he has lost alot of folks who would have grudginly voted for him had he not been a moron and a gently caress up.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah but they've tried very hard to install their own ghouls and they can't get anyone who lights fires in hearts like trump

we're very lucky in that he's a Special Ghoul, the kind they can only find once every 40 years or so; their last one was Reagan.

yeah. i think the next republican who wins is gonna be a boring vaguely socialialy liberalish moderate type if the GOP manages to unfuck itself.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Trump is rather different in that he muscled his way into the GOP. I don't think it's going to take nearly as long once he's gone before some other ghoul pulls that off again.

edit:
basically this:

Hollismason posted:

The Republican party seems to respond to celebrity status more than anything else.so I won't be surprised with President Dwayne Johnson.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Apollodorus posted:

Out of my way, tool of the state!

That line got a genuine laugh out of me. He had a couple other one-liners while he was drunk-lawyering that were p good too.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

redshirt posted:

Now, I thought we had achieved a huge victory electing Bill Clinton, but then W.

Then I thought we had achieved a huge victory electing Obama, but then Trump.

But, if Trump loses in 2024, I do think he's done, as his movement. He's unique, as is MAGA. It ends with him.
And while if he's still alive in 2025, no doubt he'll still be ranting and raving. But can he realistically pose a threat in 2028?

Seems highly unlikely, but I've been wrong before!

The teaparty crazies rolled right into the maga crazies and while the cult won't have a figurehead for a bit it's still going to truck on and be crazy and get elected in places where there are only crazy candidates. More traditional republicans will quietly retire, attempt to change party affiliations, or join the crazies. They won't go away, because despite everything they still fill a third to a half of the house of representatives every election, and every small victory they claim emboldens them to continue.

This will never be over in america. They view it as a literal holy war, one they have to win no matter the cost. You can't beat that at the voting booth, but you can lessen its impact. The important thing is to always stay vigilant no matter who is in the white house.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
There will never be an end to this bullshit unless there is judicial reform. Even if they lose the house and senate the GOP will try to erode democracy every chance they get in places like the 5th circuit in Texas and as long as it gets appealed to the supreme court there are no guard rails on the country even after trump. If anything this has just exposed how little political will there is to hold people accountable for breaking our country if the person has sufficient power / popularity. We have red states even openly defying the supreme court on the voting rights act. Who is going to enforce this poo poo its just a gentleman's handshake. I don't see that changing regardless of what happens to Trump the norms are broken. They are showing they want the government to fail right now with the house refusing to govern and wanting to shut down the government. This isn't a Trump issue 2 of the 3 branches of our country is broken and the 3rd the executive branch only works depending on who is in office that year going forward.

Vire fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 9, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jelly posted:

lol jk

I remember watching V For Vendetta and feeling vaguely insulted, talked-down-to, by the unsubtlety of the metaphor. I mean hell the guy's loving name was Adam Sutler lmao. And all I could think at the time was okay, W is a dumbass and these wars are doing more harm than good, but this is not an incipient Nazi Germany we're in, just look around us. The pop culture conversation is lively and two-sided, and nobody would dream of actually setting fire to our institutions over ideology. An on-the-nose allegory like this only serves to cry wolf. Couldn't happen here.

Fast forward a few years and welp.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

I remember watching V For Vendetta and feeling vaguely insulted, talked-down-to, by the unsubtlety of the metaphor. I mean hell the guy's loving name was Adam Sutler lmao. And all I could think at the time was okay, W is a dumbass and these wars are doing more harm than good, but this is not an incipient Nazi Germany we're in, just look around us. The pop culture conversation is lively and two-sided, and nobody would dream of actually setting fire to our institutions over ideology. An on-the-nose allegory like this only serves to cry wolf. Couldn't happen here.

loving same. alot of weird W era stuff aged way way better with trump then W(gently caress W too though obviously)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh my god what did they do to TV's Frank!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Data Graham posted:

if it helps V for Vendetta's story was more of a reaction to late 70s/early 80s British politics, and while the movie tried to update the tone and the themes it was still largely about that.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Data Graham posted:

and not only that, but all the people who turned out to be Nazis, are the ones who like to wear the Guy Fawkes masks

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also, disregarding that America was sliding into fascism was the theme of the day in the mid-00s, I remember trying to tell people that 4chan bothered me and everyone being like lol well a bunch of eternally online weebs are never going to have any real power in anyone's lives and welp

The 00s are full of media trying to warn us, and people reacting to that media by disregarding it, saying it's over-reacting and we're 'beyond those times'.

The only good thing about all this is it's firmly shut the mouths of everyone who claimed people raising the alarm were just overly anxious SJWs, but I'd honestly have rather been wrong.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 9, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving same. alot of weird W era stuff aged way way better with trump then W(gently caress W too though obviously)

It's interesting how, comparatively, leftist commentary making light of what we now see as budding evidence of impending disaster has aged tremendously poorly.

If you told me in 2007 that we'd both be looking wistfully at W. and remembering the Daily Show as milquetoast to a damaging fault, I'd have laughed in your face.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I for one think that presidents should just not do crimes if they don't want to be prosecuted for them at a later time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Toxic Mental posted:

I for one think that presidents should just not do crimes if they don't want to be prosecuted for them at a later time

I don't think this is the place for unpopular takes.