Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mekchu posted:

foot sweeps are cool and good and i suggest you gust try the collar tie to russian tie to foot sweep combo. i'll eventually get it to work myself but its been fun working on the collar tie to russian tie lately.

specifically this sort of sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBe9mHAqms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UehNAhi2JU
Lordie I love foot sweeps, and lordie I am so bad at them. (I also love a good Russian tie, and fortunately I'm less trash at those!)

quote:

(please note they used "This is America" by Childish Gambino to promote the USA section of the video which is hilarious)
:cawg: hahahaoh my god you weren't lying :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of throws, does anyone have any thoughts on why Osoto Gari is such a fundamental, essential, and ubiquitous move? Someone here once said that it's like the Rear Naked Choke - a fundamental move that you learn your first month, much of the meta around a match is about not letting it happen, and yet you still see it finish novices a s top level competition alike. Why?

I have my own half formed thoughts on the matter; it's raw strength and intuitiveness, the difficulty of stopping it once your opponent is halfway through a decent attempt, the wide variety of entries, but I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah it’s very intuitive. I feel if you asked some untrained guy who has seen some martial arts to take someone down in a Judo-y way they would attempt this or some basic hip throw

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The RNC is a core move because it requires really little art to apply and is ridiculously safe to threaten your opponent with, unlike similar moves from the back which give up a strong position such as an armbar, or require some amount of art to finish, such as the sliding lapel choke. Osoto gari is in my opinion very similar, you can use it from really any neutral or dominant gripping position, attempting it doesn't really expose you to any risk, and at its core you're basically just running forward and yeeting your opponent to the ground regardless of their feelings on the matter.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Defenestrategy posted:

The RNC is a core move because it requires really little art to apply and is ridiculously safe to threaten your opponent with, unlike similar moves from the back which give up a strong position such as an armbar, or require some amount of art to finish, such as the sliding lapel choke. Osoto gari is in my opinion very similar, you can use it from really any neutral or dominant gripping position, attempting it doesn't really expose you to any risk, and at its core you're basically just running forward and yeeting your opponent to the ground regardless of their feelings on the matter.

It does leave you open to an osoto gari from the other person if you do it poorly, which is exactly what happened to me in my very first tournament match ages ago. That said, I do think it's more intuitive than most of the other high-amplitude throws and it combos well with a lot of things, in addition to all of the points made above.

Re: foot sweeps--I stumbled on this one while goofing around during stand-up and shortly afterwards hopped on YouTube to make sure I wasn't just making up a BS move to troll white belts. I couldn't find a ton of examples, but if Travis Stevens is gonna demonstrate it, that's enough validation for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-oEadTZaE

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

Re: foot sweeps--I stumbled on this one while goofing around during stand-up and shortly afterwards hopped on YouTube to make sure I wasn't just making up a BS move to troll white belts. I couldn't find a ton of examples, but if Travis Stevens is gonna demonstrate it, that's enough validation for me.

Yea, its legit, I did a similar thing from the clinch in MMA.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of throws, does anyone have any thoughts on why Osoto Gari is such a fundamental, essential, and ubiquitous move? Someone here once said that it's like the Rear Naked Choke - a fundamental move that you learn your first month, much of the meta around a match is about not letting it happen, and yet you still see it finish novices a s top level competition alike. Why?

I have my own half formed thoughts on the matter; it's raw strength and intuitiveness, the difficulty of stopping it once your opponent is halfway through a decent attempt, the wide variety of entries, but I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on it.

This was the first throw we learned at my japanese Jiu Jitsu club, a life time ago, as well. (shout out to 2002 university Jiu Jitsu clubs)

1) it's linear. So while there is footwork to figure out (amongst other things), there isn't any turning, hop steps, feet in between feet, or exposing your back to uki. You're also not compromising your own balance a ton to attempt the throw, which makes it safer to learn and practice for both uki and tori.

2) it teaches balance, and how to break balance on a very easy to understand level. I take their balance over their heels backwards, and prevent them from regaining their balance with the reaping motion of my leg. This causes them to fall to the ground. That's pretty neat.

3) as you get better with it, you actually get the sense that this is a legit throw, as you get thrown by it with your partners you will have to breakfall to protect yourself, giving you an early taste of "the magic" of throwing.

And that's just coming from the weird self-defence-y side of the throw. Which is hopefully similar in to how judo goes about it. :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The comparison between rmc and osoto is my musing.

It's because they're as said above, they're simple basic movements, and as said above they're tactically available, but also I'll add that they both allow tori to apply maximal mechanical force to the most vulnerable part of uke's body (coroded artery / weak plane posture).

A good osoto uses forward momentum, both arms, both legs, and the core.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yo, "classically trained*" judo nerds.

What is one person uchikomi for? Like I get the two person drill, because it allows you to do a ton of throws without putting an equivalent amount of wear on the training equipment[referred to here as "fellow students"], but I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of doing the one man drill, because how I execute the throw with weight attached is pretty different than trying to invisible man it.

*I say this as a person who only last year started going to an actual no poo poo judo club instead of just picking up take downs from non-judo dudes

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Defenestrategy posted:

Yo, "classically trained*" judo nerds.

What is one person uchikomi for? Like I get the two person drill, because it allows you to do a ton of throws without putting an equivalent amount of wear on the training equipment[referred to here as "fellow students"], but I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of doing the one man drill, because how I execute the throw with weight attached is pretty different than trying to invisible man it.

*I say this as a person who only last year started going to an actual no poo poo judo club instead of just picking up take downs from non-judo dudes

I think it's to allow you to focus on the flow and footwork and think it through a bit. I agree with you in that I also don't feel like I get much out of those drills.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

What is one person uchikomi for?

Mostly for thinking about your feet. And cardio when you speed it up. Which honestly is most of what static two-person uchikomi is good for too...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like how Osoto Gari lands you past the guard.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

With an optional setup to an arm bar.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

No joke, my big-brained take in the last few weeks has been to spam Osoto and Kosoto for exactly that reason - they're both attacks that place you outside of your opponent's legs and make it very hard for them to pull guard. I've even begun to sort of set up the Kosoto "sticky foot" type situation without necessarily pulling the trigger on the throw itself, just because I like to have my default position be outside of their legs.

This is all in BJJ land of course, but I'm finding it's also making me attack more with kosoto in Judo; my Judo Sensei has some pretty reliable counters and answers to it, but I consider that a benefit, not a penalty, because he's making me more and more aware of the potential problems in using that as a headquarters.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Osoto is also a really good self defense throw. It's not really something I attack with too much in randori but it's crucial to know, if I was ever in a real life scrap I think Osoto Gari would have to be the go to technique.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I watched that knee tap video yesterday and this morning hit it in the first round but too surprised that it worked to follow up. He just sat down when I went for it again which made me giggle as I am the most likely to pull guard guy where I train. For sure one of those moves that I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this forever. Thanks!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

I watched that knee tap video yesterday and this morning hit it in the first round but too surprised that it worked to follow up. He just sat down when I went for it again which made me giggle as I am the most likely to pull guard guy where I train. For sure one of those moves that I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this forever. Thanks!

The one from the arm drag?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The one from the arm drag?

Ya, which is doubly funny because I never have any luck with regular arm drags. My wrestling is straight trash. I was playing with the same basic move in another round with a collar tie instead of the arm and that seemed pretty solid as well. Tonight I'll run into some actual wrestlers, so we'll see.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

Ya, which is doubly funny because I never have any luck with regular arm drags. My wrestling is straight trash. I was playing with the same basic move in another round with a collar tie instead of the arm and that seemed pretty solid as well. Tonight I'll run into some actual wrestlers, so we'll see.

There are some great takedowns from the armdrag but none that I have seen that involve that knee tap. It's gold.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Today in judo there where only like three of us, we cycled through ten reps of what ever throw you want with commentary by sensei while the other two traded off being uke.

This is how judo should be taught imo.

I also now hurt alot from doing sets of high power throws like Yama Arash, Front Uchimata, rice bag throw,etc

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Today in judo there where only like three of us, we cycled through ten reps of what ever throw you want with commentary by sensei while the other two traded off being uke.

This is how judo should be taught imo.

I also now hurt alot from doing sets of high power throws like Yama Arash, Front Uchimata, rice bag throw,etc

Once I was the only adult to show up to our Adult Beginner class (it's taught in conjunction with the kid's class). So the sensei just said, "never mind what I had planed. What do you want to work on?" Great class.

Those opportunities where you can just work on whatever and get that feedback are great. I also find that working with a partner you're familiar and comfortable with can work too: "hey, I wanna give this a shot and see what happens" followed with "what'd ya think?" I've done it a couple of times with the guys I started with who are around my level, but have been trying to push myself to do that with the higher belts.

A guy even did that with me, and I can pass our learning on: Osoto gari with an underhook -- not very effective

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
99% of my Judo classes are me sharing a mat with two or three black belts and no one else. I know I should count my blessings but I'd love to have some lower ranked people to have randori with. Green grass, other side, etc.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I don't understand why so many tournaments start at 8 or 9 in the morning. I don't really feel awake until 10 or so on weekdays and sure as poo poo aren't usually up by then on a Saturday. Especially seems weird since so many people are driving from out of town to compete.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They run late enough as it is in my part of the world. It's usually the kids first too.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Where I am they seem to start around 9am or 9:30am then don't end til a bit after 6pm.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hah I'm not the most creative coach at times and our classes are small so thats often my "idk what to do so let's just do that" judo lesson plan.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

My daughter hit a pretty sweet harai goshi in her tournament over the weekend.

Watching her set it up was pretty awesome.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tight overhook and head control, excellent. The other girl had no chance. Congrats to La Hija Del Tacos Al Pastor! Is that a freeze frame on a video you took or a perfectly timed still shot?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like how the person on the back wall (in a knee brace, so another wrestler?) seems to have noticed the throw.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

tight overhook and head control, excellent. The other girl had no chance. Congrats to La Hija Del Tacos Al Pastor! Is that a freeze frame on a video you took or a perfectly timed still shot?

My wife takes 100,000 shots per match :psyduck:

She still lost her match. Working with kids to secure a pin is difficult work. Considering my daughters already had Judo for a few years before starting wrestling I expected they would do well with the takedowns (which they did). Just teaching kids in general is huge pain in the rear end but huge reward when they do something right :D

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I can't think of a more gratifying feeling than watching someone pull off a move you taught them; I'm sure it's even better when it's your kid doing it. :)

In other competition news, my gym had promotions last weekend and we did our traditional in-house Quintet as part of the festivities. This was the first time I was a captain for it because several of the previous captains just got their black belts that day, and my team wound up winning the whole thing mostly due to the fact that I won the rock-paper-scissors for first draft pick and snagged the serious competitor whose nickname is "Hulk", lol. That aside, I was happy with my performance but particularly the fact that I was able to successfully coach my less experienced teammates and walk them through moves in the middle of their matches.

It's come up before in the thread a few times, but I can't say enough good things about this format, especially for an in-house tournament. Everyone always has fun at ours, and even the matches that should be wildly lopsided on paper often wind up being exciting.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nestharken posted:

I can't think of a more gratifying feeling than watching someone pull off a move you taught them.

This is the closest we get to immortality in this life of ours.

It's super sweet.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

I can't think of a more gratifying feeling than watching someone pull off a move you taught them; I'm sure it's even better when it's your kid doing it. :)

In other competition news, my gym had promotions last weekend and we did our traditional in-house Quintet as part of the festivities. This was the first time I was a captain for it because several of the previous captains just got their black belts that day, and my team wound up winning the whole thing mostly due to the fact that I won the rock-paper-scissors for first draft pick and snagged the serious competitor whose nickname is "Hulk", lol. That aside, I was happy with my performance but particularly the fact that I was able to successfully coach my less experienced teammates and walk them through moves in the middle of their matches.

It's come up before in the thread a few times, but I can't say enough good things about this format, especially for an in-house tournament. Everyone always has fun at ours, and even the matches that should be wildly lopsided on paper often wind up being exciting.

An in house Quintet sounds like so much fun! How did you do against Hulk?? Let me guess: Hes over 200lbs??

I've thought about organizing the same thing, but my team has to wear luche libre masks like this:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Luckily I didn't have to go against him 'cause he was on my team, but yes, he's well over 200lbs with a football/rugby/powerlifting background. He got his purple belt that day and pretty much everyone at the gym felt a lot better about themselves for it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I rolled with a big blue belt last night and several times he built his way up from bottom side control to a technical stand up and I didn't have much of an answer for him at the time, I know some things to do there but I didn't execute well enough or fast enough and he's significantly bigger than me so he "just stand up!"d multiple times.

I actually asked him after the roll if he could please do that any time he sees the chance, because I clearly need more practice stopping it. I find if you can avoid sounding sarcastic it's a great training tool: point out to your rolling partners what they're doing that beats you, make sure to compliment it, and ask them, basically, to spam it until it stops working ( don't tell them that part).

Probably wouldn't help with the Hulkster, though. drat I wish we would do quintet.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 18, 2024

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

I actually asked him after the roll if he could please do that any time he sees the chance, because I clearly need more practice stopping it. I find if you can avoid sounding sarcastic it's a great training tool: point out to your rolling partners what they're doing that beats you, make sure to compliment it, and ask them, basically, to spam it until it stops working ( don't tell them that part).

True. And if you run into the wall or off the mat and you were in a bad position, reset in that same position and go from there.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

to spam it until it stops working ( don't tell them that part).

There's a black belt I roll with that if I start from a seated position he'll instantly grab my pants and squash me into a guard pass. It's been almost a year, and has yet to stop working, even though I know exactly what will happen[he'll tap, bump, and instantly dive on me] and what I need to do[frame, push, start running].

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dear diary. Had some blue belts visit from our partner school and one put me in a crucifix. I escaped after three minutes with a slick back roll, but now my shoulders ache. So let that be a lesson.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

There's a black belt I roll with that if I start from a seated position he'll instantly grab my pants and squash me into a guard pass. It's been almost a year, and has yet to stop working, even though I know exactly what will happen[he'll tap, bump, and instantly dive on me] and what I need to do[frame, push, start running].

My professor's husband does this with a standing guard pass. He just...steps across into knee on belly. If I perfectly predict and time it I might frame and reposition, maybe. Yep, been a year or more.

A guy from the local bro mma gym (one originally founded by the only remotely notable UFC fighter around here) came in to learn more gi work, and I was gratified to see he was polite, friendly, safe, etc etc. He's a purple belt like me but with my busted thumb (and frankly, my not so confrontational attitude) I only gave him light rolls. But it was fun to show him the basics of Judo grip fighting, and something at least resembling the right way to do Osoto Gari.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Defenestrategy posted:

Dear diary. Had some blue belts visit from our partner school and one put me in a crucifix. I escaped after three minutes with a slick back roll, but now my shoulders ache. So let that be a lesson.

Im guessing the lesson is to do sick back rolls? gently caress those blue belts.