Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been decades, but wasn't Faces of Death mostly staged while Traces of Death was the one where the majority of the footage was real? I remember that's how I originally saw the R. Budd Dwyer video before the internet.

Going from the Faces of Death documentary, the Japanese investors wanted the real deal so the filmmakers first went to all the news stations and bought up the footage that wasn't suitable for broadcast. They put it together and the investors loved it but wanted more gore which left the filmmakers doing their best to make recreation footage to match what they had. So like the mass shooting in the house, it's real footage up to where the police get into the house and fake from there. They showed what they had at this point to the investors who loved it more but also wanted more so that's where you get the full on fake bits like the cannibal blood orgy, the electrocution and the monkey bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Also it is killing me that The Fog remake in 2005 is set in Oregon, making it the top Oregonian horror,

pretty sure Green Room is set in Oregon yo (wikipedia synopsis says the show was in "a rural area outside Portland" and all the filming was in Oregon)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/bdisgusting/status/1744859771910426727?s=46

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Watched Haunting of Queen Mary and had a good time but it's trippy, time jumpy, and perhaps not overly cohesive.

I think I understand that the whole movie is a possession movie where ghosts from the past want to possess people either to leave or to continue what they did. So the captain wants to captain so he takes over a modern guy, a killer entombed in the ship ritual-style wants to kill so he takes over the vintage guy. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to who is vulnerable to possession though unless I missed something. Were the kid, the vintage couple, the new captain, or the modern couple vulnerable in some way?

And for the ending, am I to take it that the unpossessed mom closed the window on the possessed son to fall to his death do so thinking she was letting her own son fall to his death because she was tired of being a mom? And the ghost possessing the mom has to deal with the consequences of her original host's actions?

Not a bad watch, some good violence, really nice historical texture, and not bad behind the scenes work. But if the above is right, it could have been told more cleanly and tightly to make for a more satisfying watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Joe lynch is screaming in anger

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The way to make a Faces Of Death Movie in 2024 is to make every death just fake as hell, like somebody gets decapitated by a pizza slicer while making a pizza & a narrator gravely intones that this is "real horror, true horror".
Wouldn't that just be 1000 Ways to Die?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

1000 Ways to Die was a fun show. That and MXC completely justified Spike TV

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chris James 2 posted:

They also had these interstials which I found amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdQYNT4vFZc

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chris James 2 posted:

There is a part of my brain that just shuts down when I see The Deadliest Warrior. It’s so stupid but I can’t stop watching. It’s just a half an hour of my-dad-could-beat-up-your-dad and some chungus in mirror shades stabbing the poo poo out of a dead pig with a gladius hispaniensis.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spike TV kept TNA Wrestling alive for about 10 years, so I truly can't hate it as a network.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Spike TV kept TNA Wrestling alive for about 10 years, so I truly can't hate it as a network.
Hard Times and Pipe Bomb are legendary promos, but Steiner Math is the wrestling-related thing I quote the most, so which was the more successful fed in the end?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Hard Times and Pipe Bomb are legendary promos, but Steiner Math is the wrestling-related thing I quote the most, so which was the more successful fed in the end?

You know they say that all feds are created equal, but you look at TNA and you look at WWE and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if the feds go one on one with another, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But TNA had a genetic freak and was not normal! So the Fed got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat TNA. Then you add AEW to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The way to make a Faces Of Death Movie in 2024 is to make every death just fake as hell, like somebody gets decapitated by a pizza slicer while making a pizza & a narrator gravely intones that this is "real horror, true horror".

Pizza Baker Klaus

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The original FACES is just MONDO CANE.

For being a series that reinforces stereotypes, Mondo Cane is an all timer movie title.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'd totally watch an ironic Faces of Death, I really would.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Frank Drebin presents "Faces of Death" *pratfalls into a pitchfork*

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Blob remake is already perfect and feels untouchable. It'd be like someone taking a swing at a Fly remake or Thing remake. You've set youself up to fail trying to do it better.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man The Thing remake was such a disappointment, i was completely hoodwinked by their marketing campaign. curse my younger self

always down for some more blob goop and body horror, though, i hope Bruckner turns it out

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Flubby posted:

The Blob remake is already perfect and feels untouchable. It'd be like someone taking a swing at a Fly remake or Thing remake. You've set youself up to fail trying to do it better.

I wouldn’t be against someone remaking The Fly. I couldn’t believe it’d be more gross but I could believe it’d be good; like how we have three great Body Snatchers films

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chris James 2 posted:

I watched the hell out of 1000 Ways to Die. Wish it was still available as a free stream.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

man The Thing remake was such a disappointment, i was completely hoodwinked by their marketing campaign. curse my younger self

I can only assume that the remake you are talking about is The Thing (1981), with The Thing From Another World (1951) being the original

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yes, it's me, the ghost of Roger Ebert, whoooooaaaaaaaa

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

VROOM VROOM posted:

I can only assume that the remake you are talking about is The Thing (1981), with The Thing From Another World (1951) being the original

They’re talking about the prequel remake in 2011

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

They’re talking about the prequel remake in 2011

I thought it was just a prequel. Is the norwegian stuff just the opening or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s more or less the same movie with a prequel facade draped over it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

It’s more or less the same movie with a prequel facade draped over it.

It was one of the first wave of legacy sequels/requels, we just didn't know if back then.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i mean it's straight up a prequel. the whole "following movie is basically the prior movie beat for beat but worse" is a time honored tradition of film. choosing to just call it "the thing" just happens to be a decision as boneheaded as plastering cgi over the practical effects.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly rewatch it a lot more than I’d like to admit but not because it’s good but because it’s just noise. And sometimes I look up and see this and giggle

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nikumatic posted:

i mean it's straight up a prequel. the whole "following movie is basically the prior movie beat for beat but worse" is a time honored tradition of film. choosing to just call it "the thing" just happens to be a decision as boneheaded as plastering cgi over the practical effects.

Thematically I think it's kind of appropriate to call it The Thing. No matter how much anything else in the story changes, The Thing is a constant, so all consuming that it never has a sequel, just another cell to mutate.

Honestly, go insane and franchise it with every film just called The Thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Da Thang

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Thingy

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Whatchamacallit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Thingamajig

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I like both versions of The Blob but the 80s remake is kind of a perfect goopy horror movie. As a kid I was disappointed that sequel hook at the end never came to fruition, I think something like "Cult of the Blob" could kick a lot of rear end.

If you do a totally fresh remake I still think there's something to be mined from the concept. The original one was an alien, the remake one is a government created weapon. A modern version could play off that, have a bunch of people assume it's a government weapon only to find out it actually is an alien, or have it be a random mutant created by industrial runoff or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Joe Lynch wanted to do the cult of the blob. He even got to be friends with chuck Russell too. Could still happen idk. Maybe a tv show

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The problem with remaking something like The Thing or The Fly or The Blob is that the 80s remakes were completely defined by their practical effects. The practical effects are what people think of, they're the reason those films are considered iconic today. So any remake made now is going to have a choice between trying to top those practical effects, or go the CG route which imo is basically drawing dead. Absolutely nobody is interested in a remake of The Fly where the fly effects are CG, zero people want that. But at the same time how can you possibly top what Cronenberg did? It seems impossible.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I can bet someone out there thinks they can do it, and someone else will give them way too much money to try.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

My pitch for a blob remake would be to take advantage of how non-horror people don't really know the 84 version. Cast a bunch of likable comedians, like Bill Hader, Charlie Day etc., make it seem like you're doing a goofy send-up of the original 50s movie, then kill them all as graphically and horribly as possible.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I don't think you can do The Thing again. The Carpenter version has incredible creature effects AND gets the tension perfect, too. So even an amazingly written remake is going to pale in comparison. Plus there's nowhere else you need to take the story, the ending's already perfect.

A Blob movie could have a really good script that makes it worth seeing, either continue on from the 88 version or take it in a totally different version. Even if the effects won't be as fun or impressive.

Same with the Fly. I think you could even tone down the special effects and make it more like the original. Some dude gets changed, we know something's wrong but the reveal isn't until late in the movie. Go for one big shock reveal, have the focus of the movie be on how people around him are affected by his increasingly odd behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Leatherhead posted:

My pitch for a blob remake would be to take advantage of how non-horror people don't really know the 84 version. Cast a bunch of likable comedians, like Bill Hader, Charlie Day etc., make it seem like you're doing a goofy send-up of the original 50s movie, then kill them all as graphically and horribly as possible.

There are some fun options for casting where they could pull the same trick as the 80s version did with the Paul character. Cast someone like Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds and let the audience assume they're the main protagonist.